Anyone Here Not In Thailand?, But Still Posts Regularly? Who?

JD,

That is very interesting to me to hear you say you were first in Thailand over 40 years ago. I was first in Thailand in 1971, and then back a few times after that.

It has been so long since the first time, I have forgotten most of my impressions.

If I said it hasn't changed, I'd be lying, which I never do.

Better get here fast while the getting is good.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Poetry is not my strength, however I humbly submit the following for your amusement:

There was an old Farang called Billy

Who acted exceedingly silly.

He went to Pattaya

..and fell in a fire

And burnt all the skin off his willy

Very good - made me laugh .. So - I now challenge anyone to edit my Limrick post about the 'old duff Liam' to make is correct with 5 lines and add a little flair ...

There once was an old duff named Liam

Who was sure that he lived in Siam

But he awoke one morn shocked and forlorn

to find his lady was massaging her horn

the old duff ,wasn't smart enough to realise it was all a scam

Edited by mad mary

Ms. Mary,

Are you the Mary who Michener writes about in Tales of the South Pacific?

I am beginning to see the resemblance.

I can pretend to be whoever you want me to be or I can just carry on with this facade.

Speaking of duplicity, I do not suppose anyone here is old enough to recall this film?

It is rather good.

Sir Lawrence, and all.

Highly suggest you watch it if you have not,

Before you come to Thailand.

There may not be a copy here.

michael-caine-sleuth.jpg

Michael-Caine-in-Sleuth-1972-michael-cai

JD,

That is very interesting to me to hear you say you were first in Thailand over 40 years ago. I was first in Thailand in 1971, and then back a few times after that.

It has been so long since the first time, I have forgotten most of my impressions.

If I said it hasn't changed, I'd be lying, which I never do.

Better get here fast while the getting is good.

Well - Hello there 'OldChinaHam. Yes - I was stationed in Isaan - in the Phu Phan mountain area - out in the boonies with U.S. Army Special Forces in 1967-1968. In recent times have made acquaintence with about a dozen men who also served in my unit and with other Army units and are currently living in Thailand. There is an SF Association in Thailand whose President lives in Pattaya. This SF Association does charity work in Thailand mostly for schools in the North around CM. Beleive me - I am trying my best to get there ASAP. What outfit were you with?

Edited by JDGRUEN

I am at present,not that it's any concern of the OP in all fairness.

To prove I'm legit,I provide photographic evidence by way of a picture of last months True Visions mag.

I would have posted a picture of the May magazine but I don't get that until June,

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByThaivisa Connect Thailand1367683379.890510.jpg

Cheers Stoneyboy.

Are you getting your True Visions mags from neighbours bins?

Those writing from outside Thailand, whether on holiday or extended leave or those who have never been to Thailand, I find it interesting to read their comments about Thailand.

And those who have just left Thailand seem to have the most interesting stories to tell, in retrospect.

Out of curiosity, if the Member doesn't start his (or her) sentence with their current abode, then how how does OldChinaHam determine if they are 'living' in Thailand?

Do you go off and rub, rub ... what is that thing called again?

Oh, that's right ... your crystal ball.

I am afraid to ask. But I cannot help myself.

What do FUN and FONTs have to do with anyTHING?

Close, but I believe the original quote went closer to ...

That sound like FUN. FONts have to be interpreted correctly of course.

Subtle but important difference.

My bolding to highlight the subtle differences ... biggrin.png

I don't post from Thailand, but from Ireland, I have spent plenty of time in the LoS and in a relationship with a Thai.

I use TV for keeping up on news and reading about the bizarre going ons of Thai politics and farrang stories.

While most of my days are spent wishing I was back in Thailand, sometimes reading the opinions of some posters has me glad I'm not sitting in a bar with a fake smile pretending to agree with the nonsense spouted! I'm well aware it happens everywhere but some posters really take the biscuit!

Good thread OP!

Sent from my LT26i using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

The boards are certainly awash with Scottish sex tourists doling out sage advice on living in Thailand!Never really worked out why mind!blink.png

Kindly show some of my quoted posts where I have dished out "sage advice" please.

Edit: What's interesting to me in your comment is that I have indeed offered an opinion many times on accommodation or travel options to people on the board. How many times have you tried to be so helpful?

Edited by smokie36

The boards are certainly awash with Scottish sex tourists doling out sage advice on living in Thailand!Never really worked out why mind!blink.png

Kindly show some of my quoted posts where I have dished out "sage advice" please.

Edit: What's interesting to me in your comment is that I have indeed offered an opinion many times on accommodation or travel options to people on the board. How many times have you tried to be so helpful?

A lot of the people seeking guidance are probably not residents, and would benefit more from the advice of experienced travellers, rather than residents, who face a different set of challenges

SC

A lot of the people seeking guidance are probably not residents, and would benefit more from the advice of experienced travellers, rather than residents, who face a different set of challenges

SC

Sometimes the sheer negativity and easy denigration seeps out from those open sores and the smell is simply intolerable.

I'd best go make another coffee1.gif

SC

Sometimes the sheer negativity and easy denigration seeps out from those open sores and the smell is simply intolerable.

I'd best go make another coffee1.gif

What sores?

SC

So true.

I've lived here about half my life and spent even longer than that doing my best to learn about the place (language, history, culture, society) - and yet I'm often not able to answer basic questions that a tourist would have. Not only that, I occasionally have to come here and ask those sort of questions myself...

SC

So true.

I've lived here about half my life and spent even longer than that doing my best to learn about the place (language, history, culture, society) - and yet I'm often not able to answer basic questions that a tourist would have. Not only that, I occasionally have to come here and ask those sort of questions myself...

It doesn't matter how much you know about Thai literature, history and buddhist teachings, you're still going to need to ask for recommendations for a cheap guesthouse close to the airport, and a sex tourist who routinely goes to Pattaya is more likely to have the answer than Citibank's long-term man in Thailand.

SC

"Guesthouse? Why not sleep in the fields, like we do in Isaan?"

Apologies to Guesthouse, by the way... no offence intended.

Edited by StreetCowboy
  • Like 1

It doesn't matter how much you know about Thai literature, history and buddhist teachings, you're still going to need to ask for recommendations for a cheap guesthouse close to the airport, and a sex tourist who routinely goes to Pattaya is more likely to have the answer than Citibank's long-term man in Thailand.

SC

Sure, and that seems like common sense - but you'd be surprised how many people don't understand why I can't do things like recommend a cheap guesthouse close to the airport...

SC

Sure, and that seems like common sense - but you'd be surprised how many people don't understand why I can't do things like recommend a cheap guesthouse close to the airport...
And there's a good point SteeleJoe. I sit here on the Sunshine Coast as we speak but if a poster were to ask on the travel forum which was the best or cheapest motel in Noosa, I wouldn't have any idea - because I don't use them.

I might however be able to point them in the right direction if they were looking for one e.g. behind the night bazaar in CM.

"I might however be able to point them in the right direction if they were looking for one e.g. behind the night bazaar in CM."

Didn't someone post something about various "scams" and recount one instance of those who offer to point out places of interest to tourists, and then ask for money to replace a "stolen" cell phone?

I read about that on TV but I cannot find the exact thread.

"I might however be able to point them in the right direction if they were looking for one e.g. behind the night bazaar in CM."

Didn't someone post something about various "scams" and recount one instance of those who offer to point out places of interest to tourists, and then ask for money to replace a "stolen" cell phone?

I read about that on TV but I cannot find the exact thread.

I don't recall that one OCH. Sorry.

The last time I woke up in the fields " a la belle etoile " , I wasn't , I was in the Old China Hand . I knew I was in the harn because I recognised the dinginess immediatley and so couldn't be next door . I too have been prised from sleep in all four dark corners of The Globe and that's why I am barred .

posted from Hong Kong ( often blootered )

edited for eefect

Edited by onionluke

The last time I woke up in the fields " a la belle etoile " , I wasn't , I was in the Old China Hand . I knew I was in the harn because I recognised the dinginess immediatley and so couldn't be next door . I too have been prised from sleep in all four dark corners of The Globe and that's why I am barred .

posted from Hong Kong ( often blootered )

edited for eefect

I don't recall the last time I was in the Old China Hand, though I must've been, from where I recovered consciousness...

SC