Thai Tourist Ministry To Join Related Agencies In Boosting Tourist Confidence

webfact

Tourist Ministry to join related agencies in boosting tourist confidence

BANGKOK, 6 May 2013 (NNT) – The Tourism Ministry is planning to join all units involved in the travel industry to boost visitor confidence in Thailand, as part of its efforts to help the government achieve its target of 2.2-trillion visitors by 2015.

Tourism Minister Somsak Pureesrisak said that the ministry has been gathering opinions about how to ensure foreign visitors of the country’s justice system in case of any damage or criminal encounter while traveling in Thailand.

Mr. Somsak said the thought-gathering, launched at all major tourist attractions, also involved the question about how to speed up court proceedings in order for affected tourists to see the end of the authorities’ efforts and go home without much delay.

So far, the minister conceded that there have been several ideas proposed by those who answered the survey, such as the longer hours of related officials, the setting up of a tourist section under the Courts of Justice and a tourist court.

He added that all details are yet to be looked at by both the secretariat of the Thai Courts of Justice and the Tourism Ministry before the issue is brought before the Cabinet for consideration.

Mr. Somsak went on to say that, in order to regain tourists’ confidence and Thailand’s reputation, the country is to, without further delay, make all visitors feel safe at all time. If succeeded, he believes the government’s ambition to see 2 trillion travelers visit Thailand in 2015 will be achieved without a hitch.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2013-05-06 footer_n.gif

"the government’s ambition to see 2 trillion travelers visit Thailand in 2015 will be achieved without a hitch."

I see a hitch. Every person on earth would have to travel here at least 285 times. Might be a shortage of hotel rooms...

• Like 2

I think Mr Somsak is one of many who are bewildered and impressed by the "..illions" numbers being bandied around.

It used to be millions, then as we went on, billions became the fashionable numbers, now after the budget, numbers were in the trillions. Everyone likes it.

Not long now before we hear ministers talking about gazillions of baht, tourists,bags of rice.

• Like 1

Somsak believes his own BS. Must have got the 2 trillion number confused with the money pot.

But seriously, the way to give tourist confidence is not about some stupid justice system to handle complaints. Try getting the justice system to handle the corruption at all levels in government and business before going after minor pin pricks such as jet skis and so on and tourists will feel a lot more confident rather than reading rubbish like Somsak spews out here.

Another fine speech from a government official with appropriate buzz words and impressive figures all of which amounts to the usual nothing.

• Like 1

...its target of 2.2-trillion visitors by 2015.

At the govt cabinet meetings they speak a lot of BIG baht numbers....maybe the minister got the 2.2 trillion visitors figure confused with the 2.2 trillion baht the govt will probably spend on the unattainable govt rice growers price guarantee scheme. But if he really meant 2.2 trillion visitors they better add a few more bathrooms at Suvarnabhumi Airport.

• Like 1

"the government’s ambition to see 2 trillion travelers visit Thailand in 2015 will be achieved without a hitch."

I see a hitch. Every person on earth would have to travel here at least 285 times. Might be a shortage of hotel rooms...

Don't worry, Phuket will have the rooms covered thumbsup.gif

I think Mr Somsak is one of many who are bewildered and impressed by the "..illions" numbers being bandied around.

It used to be millions, then as we went on, billions became the fashionable numbers, now after the budget, numbers were in the trillions. Everyone likes it.

Not long now before we hear ministers talking about gazillions of baht, tourists,bags of rice.

This is a serious question: I know a million has 6 noughts, so how many does a billion have? A trillion?

That is a minor detail that will have no effect on TAT's statistics when released in 2015. The statistics will show that they will exceed this expectation.

Looks like Kittirat's been preparing the numbers again.

What agencies exactly have they been consulting with, are they internal Thai agencies? Personally I think they would benifit from consulting the Ambassador/Consulates to see what the real concerns of tourists are. How about a co-operative of major international travel agencies who actually speak to the tourists themselves or even farang bar owners who probably could really open thier eyes as they actually listen to the tourists and not just a group of Thais who think they know what tourists want or expect.

When a tourist plans a holiday they don't enquire as to whether a special court is in place to prosecute them or a fast tracked investigation (within 5 - 7 days) if they are a victim. I am sure they don't ask thier travel agency; "Can you ensure that I am Mugged/Assaulted on arrival? We only have 1 week in LOS.

All good points.

I know it would be walking on thin ice but possibly get some of the Embassies to care a little bit more about there people when they are in Thailand. A friend recently had a stroke and the Danish Embassy basically told him to <deleted> off. Not a good feeling when you can't trust your Embassy.

This is a serious question: I know a million has 6 noughts, so how many does a billion have? A trillion?

A billion has 10 figures in it and a trillion has 13 figures in it.

2.2 trillion has14 figures in it.