Home Blessing

shaggy1969

Most people in the village hate the loud music that goes with parties but will tolerate it if it's for one day only. However it appears a line was crossed this week when a party was preceded by three days of an absolutely insane volume of music that began at 3.30am. On the third day there was a huge argument outside the house where the party was being held and thankfully the volume reduced.

We live 100 metres away and it was difficult to hear let alone listen to the tv in our house and that was with windows and doors shut.

Sent from my GT-I9003 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I usually offer to contribute 20% for these sorts of events, maybe half for really "necessary" ones like direct family members' funerals.

Would be less if other family members had more but in my case they're dirt dirt poor.

You would pay 20% for YOUR Home Blessing and the blessing for YOUR new born child? ... and "maybe" 50% for your wifes/childs funeral??

That's a new low on TV.

I usually offer to contribute 20% for these sorts of events, maybe half for really "necessary" ones like direct family members' funerals.

Would be less if other family members had more but in my case they're dirt dirt poor.

You would pay 20% for YOUR Home Blessing and the blessing for YOUR new born child? ... and "maybe" 50% for your wifes/childs funeral??

That's a new low on TV.

Have to say you might have taken the posters comments out of context and made some assumptions which maybe aren't correct.

PalMan never said that his contribution would relate to his home blessing. You simply made that assumption.

I went to a similar ritual in an earlier post and I contributed maybe 5% of the cost by paying for one of the Monks to attend.

As for Funeral expenses. Firstly get your head around 'direct family members' ... the concept is much wider then the Western concept. For example, if my gf's Aunt died (she's considered 'direct family') ... I wouldn't even be chipping in anything like 50%.

Plus, if the person who passed lived in a Village who had the Communal Insurance, a lot of the funds for the Funeral would come from that fund.

No 'new low on TV' with his post.

The costs will be higher if there's pigs and bulls and 3-day eventing. That may depend on how much merit your serious other reckons she needs... or just to show off. I knew a sad sort who was instructed by his chosen harridan to drive the monks to/from the temple in the shiny new Fortuner... all for show and they divorced a few years later. However, I would reckon the 'average' house blessing starts the night before with house cleaning and lots of cooking by relatives and neighbours. Early start on the day, shower, shave and dress smart/casual (no shorts) and be there when the monks arrive. Again, the average I have experienced is about 50 or 60 guests and visitors so maybe 8 or 10 tables for them to eat and drink after the monks have done their bit.

All the OP needs to be is outwardly happy and lay low during the main event. Stick around to get some holy water splashed on you, then retire to the back yard for a beer and a smoke (if that's in your regimen) whilst the monks are whisked back to the temple. Their bit should all be done and dusted by 10 AM.

This pretty much describes the couple house blessings I've attended. They're not weddings or funerals and if someone tells you they cost that much, then you'e being taken. Be prepared, too, for everyone (especially family) looking all around your new house. That's the point isn't it -- to show off your new house?

That's a new low on TV.

-

If you're talking about me personally, I wouldn't sponsor any of this stuff at all zero.

I'm talking about stuff my SO's family wants to arrange and is looking for me to pay for.

If I'm the only one contributing then I'd chip in enough for the monks to visit - if I could afford it - but not for all the entertaining and showing off for the neighbors, as we've seen in the thread that can cost a lot more than even well-paid TEFL teachers make in a month.

And actually I'd never settle down anywhere near my wife's family, exactly for these reasons. I'm saving money to be able to give my kids a decent education, not tossing it around buying face for all her relatives.

This ceremony we are having is a celebration of our Son being born and to have the 'old' house blessed at the same time.

It is also a time when many of the family members that have not seen each other for a long time can get together and celebrate with us.

It will not be flash and it is certainly not for show,it is for their belief,of which I do not share but I can respect 100%.

I did see that some of you suggested hanging around for a while and then sneaking off or making an excuse to leave.

This is my Son we are talking about,so why the hell would I want to miss it....maybe I won't be able to understand what is being said,

but I will be there until the last chant is chanted next to my little lady and holding my little lad.

I can see by some earlier posts that this has got the makings of another slagging match.

Please don't guy's.

I really wanted to hear your advice and your experiences but if it goes the way I think it is going them maybe it is a good time to close this thread.

Not slagging at all, obviously everyone's got their parameters.

I'm pretty skint, so there are many many things that my SOs' families have insisted are "absolutely basic core essential" but they could never themselves afford in a million years. Then surprise surprise neither can I and they try to make out like I'm a substandard farang ("kee nok") because my wealth doesn't measure up to their (and their community's) expectations.

I personally don't buy into any of that stuff anymore - I pay the sin sot, tell my SO what her monthly allowance is and what she does with it is her business. I me myself and I make all the decisions about how the rest is spent otherwise we'd be living right under the bridge (or rather I would be alone) in short order.

If someone else is willing to and can afford to indulge in these niceties more power to 'em, I can't. And to be honest even if I had more I'd rather have long-term security than operate on a different pattern, I'd stick to exactly the same MO and maybe be able to stop working a few years before I die. Maybe.

• Like 1

Not slagging at all, obviously everyone's got their parameters.

I'm pretty skint, so there are many many things that my SOs' families have insisted are "absolutely basic core essential" but they could never themselves afford in a million years. Then surprise surprise neither can I and they try to make out like I'm a substandard farang ("kee nok") because my wealth doesn't measure up to their (and their community's) expectations.

I personally don't buy into any of that stuff anymore - I pay the sin sot, tell my SO what her monthly allowance is and what she does with it is her business. I me myself and I make all the decisions about how the rest is spent otherwise we'd be living right under the bridge (or rather I would be alone) in short order.

If someone else is willing to and can afford to indulge in these niceties more power to 'em, I can't. And to be honest even if I had more I'd rather have long-term security than operate on a different pattern, I'd stick to exactly the same MO and maybe be able to stop working a few years before I die. Maybe.

It wasn't aimed at you or anyone in general.I am in the same boat as you fella and even if I was loaded it would still be a family and close friends ceremony.....I have no time or patience for free loaders !!!

It wasn't aimed at you or anyone in general. I am in the same boat as you fella and even if I was loaded it would still be a family and close friends ceremony.....I have no time or patience for free loaders !!!

-

Doubt if we're in the same boat, if so my sincere condolences.

People talking about spending 20-30K+ on a party, just totally out of my league, maybe if I had some money in the bank and 100K income I'd consider it. . .

Naah, I don't think so.

But y'all go ahead, don't forget to be grateful to the universe you're in a position to consider it!