Home Blessing

shaggy1969

In July there are 9 monks coming to bless our home and our new born baby.

I am not sure what to expect and was wondering if any of you good people out there that have also had this ceremony done could share your experiences of the blessing.

Thanks

Shaggy

Thanks for your input Palman.

Steps 1,2 and 5 sound easy

Step 3 not too sure about because i think I am expected to help give food to the Monks at some point.

step 4 is really easy because all the family are chipping in for the blessing and party and I think that Grandpa will hand over the money to the monks.

• Like 1

Step 1 Dress as if you're going to visit a Thai government office

2 Stand by your wife and give the monks a respectful wai to welcome their arrival

3 Step aside and let things unfold as they will

4 Have money ready to pay for their services if your SO doesn't have it already on hand (depends on your arrangements)

5 Stand by your wife and give them a nice wai to send them on their way\

The end

3a Feed them

• Like 1

Wifey took care of absolutely everything. I just waited until it was all over.

Monks arrived, sat down and gave their blessing, ate their food, took the money and went back to the wat.

It was a very painless and straightforward experience as Thais have been doing same for centuries:-)

Sent from my GT-I9003 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by apetley

Don't worry, pretty much follow the earlier advice and go with the flow.

I've been to weddings, funerals, youngsters entering the monkhood and our own house blessing, there is invariably an 'MC' guiding the proceedings, even Thais don't necessarily know what to do.

You will likely end up sitting on the floor whilst chanting occurs make sure the soles of your feet don't point at the monks and you'll be fine.

The last part is what I find the hardest - especially for any length of time. The last time at a funeral I had to find a pillar to lean against whilst sitting with my feet tucked under me and trying to maintain a wai. Very, very uncomfortable!

• Like 1

Thank you for your suggestions guys.

For my family it is a special occasion,many of the old family are travelling from Mahasarakham,Kranuan and Rayong and I don't want to embarrass them ....or myself whistling.gif

The sitting cross legged isn't a problem for me but kneeling can be, because I have a few motorbike accidents which took a battering on my knees.

At my wedding ceremony after I had been sitting on my knees for close to an hour,I ended up needing help standing back up again.....just a tad embarrassing!!!!

All good advice above ... thumbsup.gif

Shaggy ... you should have known ... whistling.gif

The preparation.

Lot's of food, maybe you have to also contribute for the Monks ... memory is vague ... maybe 600 or 800 Baht each. I paid for one, the Farm Father another. Be prepared with some take-away containers for the excess food.

This was to bless the memory of the grandparents who originally bought the larger Farm and then split it up so that the 6 kids could all share. They died maybe 10 or 15 years ago ... but every year, on that date ...

Monks arriving on-mass

• Like 1

Then they started

... and didn't stop.

About where to sit ... near an exit. As the boys mentioned, there will be an MC. You're a Farang and not expected to go the marathon. Just be respectful, lower then the Monks, point your feet away, 10 mins for good face, then get called away for a catering emergency (ran out of ice for the beer rolleyes.gif ) ... that's enough.

After the Monks stop chanting, they are fed.

post-104736-0-50579800-1368859090_thumb.

Then you can eat.

post-104736-0-85317500-1368859087_thumb.

Then prepare for some lively cards ...

Shaggy

My G/F,s family had their restaurant in Bang Phlad "merited" early last year only to be severly damaged in the floods that followed later-just saying ...........................whistling.gif

• Like 1

Don't forget to feed all relatives that will come for the party.

Food and Lao Khao for about 30.000 baht.

Fair estimate, ours cost about 35k including monks, big gazebo rental, catering and alcohol for the whole village (provided by local restaurant) with beer and barbie for the 30 strong farang contingent.

Don't forget to feed all relatives that will come for the party.

Food and Lao Khao for about 30.000 baht.

Fair estimate, ours cost about 35k including monks, big gazebo rental, catering and alcohol for the whole village (provided by local restaurant) with beer and barbie for the 30 strong farang contingent.

That seems like a fair price indeed,ours will be a lot smaller though with only family members and some close friends....maybe only 50 in total.

When I first started reading TV I posted about the Good Luck party I had for the new house. Quite the mistake I made posting about it. I didn't have it exactly but I did pay for it. In the beginning the party started out small enough. But, at the end it turned into a 4 day affair. 2 days to set everything up, 1 day for actual party and 1 day for clean-up. A small accounting goes something like this

Live Band - 20,000

Pig - 5,500

Bull - 22,500

Booze, sodas & Ice 40,000 - Not including the tab I ran ar the small market.

All the other foods veggies and what not ??

All the Mats, Pillows and what nots for the house ??

Yeah, the old ladies with the Monks will show you what to do. You seem like a stable sort so have fun.

Plenty of people will tell you what to spend or how much things should cost - for all that they can F^$k off - excuse my potty mouth. Up to you.............

I usually offer to contribute 20% for these sorts of events, maybe half for really "necessary" ones like direct family members' funerals.

Would be less if other family members had more but in my case they're dirt dirt poor.

The costs will be higher if there's pigs and bulls and 3-day eventing. That may depend on how much merit your serious other reckons she needs... or just to show off. I knew a sad sort who was instructed by his chosen harridan to drive the monks to/from the temple in the shiny new Fortuner... all for show and they divorced a few years later. However, I would reckon the 'average' house blessing starts the night before with house cleaning and lots of cooking by relatives and neighbours. Early start on the day, shower, shave and dress smart/casual (no shorts) and be there when the monks arrive. Again, the average I have experienced is about 50 or 60 guests and visitors so maybe 8 or 10 tables for them to eat and drink after the monks have done their bit.

All the OP needs to be is outwardly happy and lay low during the main event. Stick around to get some holy water splashed on you, then retire to the back yard for a beer and a smoke (if that's in your regimen) whilst the monks are whisked back to the temple. Their bit should all be done and dusted by 10 AM.

• Like 2

The costs will be higher if there's pigs and bulls and 3-day eventing. That may depend on how much merit your serious other reckons she needs... or just to show off. I knew a sad sort who was instructed by his chosen harridan to drive the monks to/from the temple in the shiny new Fortuner... all for show and they divorced a few years later. However, I would reckon the 'average' house blessing starts the night before with house cleaning and lots of cooking by relatives and neighbours. Early start on the day, shower, shave and dress smart/casual (no shorts) and be there when the monks arrive. Again, the average I have experienced is about 50 or 60 guests and visitors so maybe 8 or 10 tables for them to eat and drink after the monks have done their bit.

All the OP needs to be is outwardly happy and lay low during the main event. Stick around to get some holy water splashed on you, then retire to the back yard for a beer and a smoke (if that's in your regimen) whilst the monks are whisked back to the temple. Their bit should all be done and dusted by 10 AM.

Hmmm,I think that the Monks will have to find their own way to our house....unless they don't mind being picked up one at a time on the old Yamaha.

Our service will just be simple,nothing flash.It is more out of belief and respect than show,and it will be the first time that all the family will of been together for a long time.

The beer tab should also be low because the only drinkers will be me and a few of the guests,the family are all tea totals....apart from Ta my BIL,2 bottles of Leo and he is done for.

I did offer to go buy a pig, kill it and butcher it the night before but my little lady and Mother don't want blood on the families hands.

As far as I can gather the family are coming over the day before and will be leaving the next day after the party is finished,mainly because they are old and do not like to be too long away from their homes.

NL, nails it. The whole lot can be done for less than 20k.

The temple has their own transport, so no need for the new 'Tuna to be used, chairs and tables provided by the temple (included in the monk price) or the "Chinese table" will provide for free.

In that gathering I showed you above ... there was no cost.

Being a family gathering, everyone bought food.

There was an 'offering' to the Monks and, from what I remember 600 - 800 Baht a piece.

What did you guys pay?

In that gathering I showed you above ... there was no cost.

Being a family gathering, everyone bought food.

There was an 'offering' to the Monks and, from what I remember 600 - 800 Baht a piece.

What did you guys pay?

I think the younger monks got 500 a pop and the 'heid bummer' got 1000 baht. The table and gazebo rental came with the monks and I recall getting some change out of 10k which went towards the heaps of food bought from the market for the all night cooking party. With beer and softs, I reckon maybe 13,000 baht tops?

• Like 1

Come on Guys,

If this is a special occassion, why not loosen the grip on your wallet and have a really special time. At the very least have a sing a song come over and set up.

I'm not advocating spending tons of money for a party. Recently had a party for our baby that probably cost about 30K for a 1 day party, well set up one day, party one day and clean up one day. A 3 day drunk for all who helped out.

The religious/supersitious part of these practices aren't what the money is spent on.

It's all about face, just like having a nice car or smartphone, showing off for the neighbors.

But part and parcel of the local culture so if you can afford to splash out why not.

If you can't, just say no.

Just be happy you didn't have to pay for the funeral my wife has just returned from.

Lady was the most respected inhabitant of the village, former teacher at the temple school, 90 something years old, left instructions and money for her own funeral (over the years she'd donated over 30 mill to the Wat too).

100 monks (cleaned out Wats for miles), cost 1 million Baht, been going on all week.

• Like 1