Things That Grate On You In Pattaya....

blackman

• Replies 557
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What was really annoying me though, was that a certain well known fast food chain in Pattaya is charging far more than the same restaurants in Bkk. In the On Nut mall, they were charging 124 for a meal, and the Royal Garden restaurant was charging 157 for the same item. A well known pizza chain in Pattaya ( near RG mall ) doesn't offer any discounts at all, while in Bkk they have a lunch special at 99 baht.

Obviously a case of rip the tourists off, as I doubt they'd try it if the customers were mainly Thai sad.png .

If they're making money by charging more, they're not ripping people off - they're maximizing profits. Isn't that the whole idea of running a business?

I'm obviously mistaken, but I always assumed that a "chain" would charge the same, offer the same specials etc, anywhere in Thailand. I'll be on the lookout in future, and go to the cheapest restaurant.

people who wear their baseball caps back to front

i guarantee the world would be a better place if we machined gunned all those who do this

same goes for those who do it with sunglasses

Wouldn't that eliminate 50% of North American males?

gotta start somewhere

people in Pattaya who hate people who wear baseball caps backward

Im gonna wear my cap the wrong way around now just to annoy blackman! With extra large sunglasses.

Edited by valgehiir
  • Like 1

shopping locally and you find something that you really love, you fall in love with it, then it disappears into nothingness forever and ever.

then feeling completely worthless, you have to post on TV to beg other membranes to help you find it

shopping locally and you find something that you really love, you fall in love with it, then it disappears into nothingness forever and ever.

then feeling completely worthless, you have to post on TV to beg other membranes to help you find it

Or carefully packing your UK purchase of McVitie's Plain Chocolate Digestives for the flight to LOS only to see them on the shelves at Tops and Foodland for less than you paid in fair Albion.

PS. Current best value tip for UK shoppers coming here; buy 1 liter plastic bottles of Heinz Baked Beans in the UK for 80p a bottle and screw the mercenary pricing for a small can of the same over here.

Edited by NanLaew

people who shout into their mobile phones at such a rate of decibels they do not really need the phone

if they went to the nearest window they could probably be heard without it

hey losers, i don't care about you and i do not care to hear second hand about your pathetic little life

people who wear wife beaters because they go to the gym and want the rest of the world to know it

When I wear a tank top because it's comfortable and suitable for the climate insecure males might be thinking it's to show off. A skinny guy can wear one, but a muscled guy is showing off - I'm aware of this problem,...but nonetheless, It's my Pattaya uniform.biggrin.png

What was really annoying me though, was that a certain well known fast food chain in Pattaya is charging far more than the same restaurants in Bkk. In the On Nut mall, they were charging 124 for a meal, and the Royal Garden restaurant was charging 157 for the same item. A well known pizza chain in Pattaya ( near RG mall ) doesn't offer any discounts at all, while in Bkk they have a lunch special at 99 baht.

Obviously a case of rip the tourists off, as I doubt they'd try it if the customers were mainly Thai sad.png .

If they're making money by charging more, they're not ripping people off - they're maximizing profits. Isn't that the whole idea of running a business?

I'm obviously mistaken, but I always assumed that a "chain" would charge the same, offer the same specials etc, anywhere in Thailand. I'll be on the lookout in future, and go to the cheapest restaurant.

To give an extreme example, you would expect to pay exactly the same for Burger King or McDonalds at the airport?

They must have room to manoeuvre on prices.

Edited by tropo

people who wear wife beaters because they go to the gym and want the rest of the world to know it

When I wear a tank top because it's comfortable and suitable for the climate insecure males might be thinking it's to show off. A skinny guy can wear one, but a muscled guy is showing off - I'm aware of this problem,...but nonetheless, It's my Pattaya uniform.biggrin.png

whatever reason wife beater wearers give to justify the wearing of them, they still grate on me especially when folks try to sanitize them by calling them tank tops

also people who use emoticons on forums

(nothing personal, i said it ages ago on this very thread)

source: urban dictionary

In some places, such as Australia, the term wife beater is used more specifically to refer only to a tank top type vest that is white.

This definition probably comes from the fact that most underwear singlets are white, and the stereotype of a wife beater is a man who sits around in his underwear drinking and watching television.

Edited by blackman

thaibeachlovers, on 08 Jun 2013 - 17:11, said:

tropo, on 08 Jun 2013 - 17:02, said:

thaibeachlovers, on 08 Jun 2013 - 16:44, said:

That's because of the idiotic tourist mentality, oh it's only 30 baht more, that's less than 1 $ so why should we care blink.png

Pattaya used to be cheap but thanks to the influx of the non sex-pest tourists prices are the same as in any tourist resort around the world: a rip off scam bah.gif

Edited by yoslim
  • Like 2

thaibeachlovers, on 08 Jun 2013 - 17:11, said:

tropo, on 08 Jun 2013 - 17:02, said:

thaibeachlovers, on 08 Jun 2013 - 16:44, said:

That's because of the idiotic tourist mentality, oh it's only 30 baht more, that's less than 1 $ so why should we care blink.png

Pattaya used to be cheap but thanks to the influx of the non sex-pest tourists prices are the same as in any tourist resort around the world: a rip off scam bah.gif

A prime example of this can be found in the UK - Burgerking, the price in cities is almost half what you have to pay at motorway services, captive market.....

This cheerful post is from Awaholitsiktoli. Things that grate me about Pattaya: Crime and associated violence; worst of the worst people from Western countries and parts of Thailand migrating here (but some are good); horrible traffic (at least during the high season); alcoholics and mentally ill people all over the place; people abusers; filthy beaches; no American style Chinese food; no American style smoked BBQ, no decent spagetti and meatballs, overpriced pizza, horrible Mexican food, no Greek style gyro; people pollution (just too many people in a confined area); over-development (insane); mafias running many venues; corruption left and right; overabundance of cheats, liars and mind-gamers; boom-trucks all over playing very loud music; and too many signs in Russian.

Yes, the traffic is still horrible ( just back from Fun City ). Hardly any tourists and it's still nose to tail on Second. Usual story though- 500% too many baht buses.

not only in Bangkok

prices vary between chains in different locations in pattaya

a chain that's associated with milk products and royal personages charges more in busier/more fashionable locations in the city

why?

because they can

Those shops charge more in certain locations because their prices are based on their overheads e.g rent of the place.

That's why Mc D on sukhumvit is cheaper than at their location in Royal garden.

• Like 1

Where I come from, wife beater is a can of Stella artois and the tank top is called a vest.

What grates ? Masseuse who complain when you have tense, hard muscles. If my muscles were squidgy and soft I wouldn't need an <deleted> massage. If you can't manage it, get a job you can do.

• Like 1

I didnt know the name, neither wife beater nor tank top, had to google it.

Anyway bought a whole bunch a month ago since i was overheating at tonys gym,

they really are notably cooler than regular t-shirts