Yellow Book --- Tabian Ban

Ok after going there on Monday and giving:

1) Blue book

2) Copy passport (I had a certified translation so gave that also)

3) Copy/Original Birth cert. (Again translated)

4) Marrige cert.

5) Kids birth Cert.

The

nice lady from the Aumpur called already this morning saying she need

some orginal name change documents (as wife changed name - as Thais do)

and then she will finish Friday so I would have to go in to be

interviewed (just asking a few questions) and I can take the book that

day!

Cost zero Baht!

I got mine there a few weeks ago, yes they are very helpful. The most difficult thing to supply was the certificated passport copy. British Embassy and then MFA for translation and certifying.

My wife was asked to write all about me, my mothers name, fathers name, why I'm here etc. See my birth cert and wife to translate etc.

If you need to, search a few weeks back and you will find what I actually had to supply. Looks like you have it sorted though.

• Like 1

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some officials seem happy to put foreigners on temporary visas into blue books in spite of regulations.  Not sure why.

Because they will loose face if they admit that they don't understand / know the rules

Probably true.  They do seem to be a lazy bunch of people, if they can't be bothered to spend 5 minutes looking up an unfamiliar procedure in the manual. 

Thanks mate well will drop photos and couple of the bits they asked for tomorrow then friday I will go with mother-in-law to do interview so will update then but looks ok

Cheers

Sent from my GT-I9300

Ok after going there on Monday and giving:

1) Blue book

2) Copy passport (I had a certified translation so gave that also)

3) Copy/Original Birth cert. (Again translated)

4) Marrige cert.

5) Kids birth Cert.

The

nice lady from the Aumpur called already this morning saying she need

some orginal name change documents (as wife changed name - as Thais do)

and then she will finish Friday so I would have to go in to be

interviewed (just asking a few questions) and I can take the book that

day!

Cost zero Baht!

I got mine there a few weeks ago, yes they are very helpful. The most difficult thing to supply was the certificated passport copy. British Embassy and then MFA for translation and certifying.

My wife was asked to write all about me, my mothers name, fathers name, why I'm here etc. See my birth cert and wife to translate etc.

If you need to, search a few weeks back and you will find what I actually had to supply. Looks like you have it sorted though.

Thanks mate well will drop photos and couple of the bits they asked for tomorrow then friday I will go with mother-in-law to do interview so will update then but looks ok

Cheers

Update: Misses went in this morning to give Passport and pic's of me, Lady at Aumpur said all ok can pick the yellow book in person tomorrow as I have to sign and she also wanted to ask me a few questions - but I guess just to verify that I am real! so whole process took less than a working week; would have been 3 days if we had submitted all the documents the first time,....

Thanks again for all your guys help and posts on this,.

Update: Misses went in this morning to give Passport and pic's of me, Lady at Aumpur said all ok can pick the yellow book in person tomorrow as I have to sign and she also wanted to ask me a few questions - but I guess just to verify that I am real! so whole process took less than a working week; would have been 3 days if we had submitted all the documents the first time,....

Actually Chris ... we first asked what was wanted ... got everything and then took all to the offices one day after lunch, spent about one hour discussing and translating, was then asked to wait a while. Actually we needed to meet an air conditioning guy so went home for an hour or so.. When we returned later in the afternoon the book was ready.

It was just all the chasing around to get the paperwork that was a pain. The book was free but spent about 1300Baht at the British embassy, 300+ baht for translation at MFA and then about 800Baht (fast service) at MFA. I needed the book quick to get an IDP so that I could book a hire car in Germany.

I will say Pakkret were explicit as to what they wanted and didn't ask for anything else later.

• Like 1

Actually Chris ... we first asked what was wanted ... got everything and then took all to the offices one day after lunch, spent about one hour discussing and translating, was then asked to wait a while. Actually we needed to meet an air conditioning guy so went home for an hour or so.. When we returned later in the afternoon the book was ready.

It was just all the chasing around to get the paperwork that was a pain. The book was free but spent about 1300Baht at the British embassy, 300+ baht for translation at MFA and then about 800Baht (fast service) at MFA. I needed the book quick to get an IDP so that I could book a hire car in Germany.

I will say Pakkret were explicit as to what they wanted and didn't ask for anything else later.

Hi Jas - Agreed the only difference is that they did NOT ask me for anything from the British Embassy I just had an official translation of my PP and BC witch had done at one of those shops near the Embassy (600THB for both) they seemed happy with that,..

They also wanted me to do an ID card - not sure what one - so when I go tomorrow see what they are offering,. I guess its the pink one for PR aliens (so not sure why they asking me to do one)

Cheers

Chris

Ah, Chris, ID card?  Yes, please report back as to what this is.  How about a scan with your details blanked out?

Mac

Hi sure will. I dont actually need one, but seeing as they bought up the topic and I am there anyway will give ut a go. If it's a hassle then I will drop it lol

But yes I will at least get the low down anf get one and scan it if I get it

Cheers

Sent from my GT-I9300

Ok got the yellow book for the pink id card I can do but need a letter from immigration stating my address then back to aumpur they also include me in the blue book t.r.14 then issue me with an id card (while u wait) I may not bother as I really only need the yellow book ..

Sent from my GT-I9300

You cannot have a pink ID card it is only for Burmese lao Cambodians etc. That is what I have been told by the Amphor official here in Chiang Mai this morning.

Edited by lopburi3
correct font

You cannot have a pink ID card it is only for Burmese lao Cambodians etc. That is what I have been told by the Amphor official here in Chiang Mai this morning.

Whereas there used to be many different pretty coloured alien ID cards depending on

ethnic group, there are now only pink ones and there are two different types

which look the same at a glance but have slightly different wording on

them.

Type1 is for: i) permanent residents; ii) those classified by Thailand's

benighted immigration laws as illegal immigrants but who have special

permission to stay, i.e. hill tribe people, Haw Chinese, Indo-Chinese refugees etc.

Type 2 is for labourers from Burma, Laos and Cambodia who are legally

working in Thailand under the various MOUs between Thailand and their

governments. This one states the work place on it.

It is rather odd that permanent residents are classified along with illegal

immigrants and that foreign labourers are included but foreigners with work

permits as professionals and experts are not. But there must be some

thinking behind it and I think it is the need for all of these aliens to have

an ID card in Thai that police can easily check to see if they are legal.

As far as I know, some hill tribe people are or were able to get PR with difficultly as a half

way house to getting nationality that also meant their children born in Thailand

were automatically entitled to Thai nationality, if both parents had PR when they were born. That would make it

logical for permanent residents in hill tribe areas to also get ID cards. Type 1 cards

state on the back that the holder may not leave the district without permission

unless he has an alien book too which I think supports my theory. PRs were only added

to the list in 2008 and one can assume this was done for the convenience of the government, not the PRs.

So the folks at the Chiang Mai amphur were wrong which is sadly not uncommon. Even a farang can have an alien ID card, if he is a permanent resident.

Edited by Arkady

• 2 months later...

AFAIK yellow book does not provide medical care but it might fool a local facility - but your cost there would likely be minimal without anyhow. Donations are welcomed from anyone able to make.

Being in city does not mean there is no local mooban chief - there are villages throughout the city.

Yellow book allows you to get a Medical treatment card same as Thai people and the cost is not more then 30 baht per visit, sometimes free. So you might want to check on that. It does provide for Medical care and this is for sure. This cards are also provided to people who have work visas if they apply, such as worker from Myanmar. They are also treated for 30 baht and again sometimes for free... If the local Amphur where you applied did not provide you with a medical card. You should return and just tell them you want the card that is available to any married person with Yellow Tabian baan book.

So i got a blue book for my condo already and need to go and switch it for the yellow one, but heard i need proof of residence when am getting the yellow book, is this paper really necessary or enougt with passport,condo papers..?

AFAIK yellow book does not provide medical care but it might fool a local facility - but your cost there would likely be minimal without anyhow. Donations are welcomed from anyone able to make.

Being in city does not mean there is no local mooban chief - there are villages throughout the city.

Yellow book allows you to get a Medical treatment card same as Thai people and the cost is not more then 30 baht per visit, sometimes free. So you might want to check on that. It does provide for Medical care and this is for sure. This cards are also provided to people who have work visas if they apply, such as worker from Myanmar. They are also treated for 30 baht and again sometimes for free... If the local Amphur where you applied did not provide you with a medical card. You should return and just tell them you want the card that is available to any married person with Yellow Tabian baan book.

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo. coffee1.gif

So i got a blue book for my condo already and need to go and switch it for the yellow one, but heard i need proof of residence when am getting the yellow book, is this paper really necessary or enougt with passport,condo papers..?

Not all district offices ask for the same documents. Ask yours what they want.

Incidentally, you don't switch your blue house registration book (TR.14) for the yellow one (TR.13). You get the yellow book in addition to the blue book you already have.

• 2 weeks later...

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo. coffee1.gif

I am not trying to argue this with anybody, but have seen many foreigners Hospital card with my own eyes and from many different Amphurs. I personally never applied for 1 until today, but a but of a hassle, looks like I can get it done after I get the application for immigration office. I never heard about this part. I was not aware of the application part as I have never heard anyone mention this on this thread.

The head honcho at my local Amphur and his assistant, both said can be done quickly, but need a Poo Yai Baan to certify my address and a neighbor for a witness. They both also said I will get the yellow book along with my medical treatment card at the same time as soon as the interview is completed.

Maybe depends on where you live and/or maybe we are not really supposed to get a card, but I have Myanmar staff working for me and they also get free medical care cards.

I have a picture of a neighbors card on my smartphone and he has used it several times and many times without even having to pay the 30 baht. I will not post this as I don't want to cause him any problems in case it is an error, but many locals foreigners in my area have them and have used them just the same, so not sure what the real deal is???

So tomorrow I will start the process of getting the application. Then jump through the hoops and deal with the headache, not because I need the card, but really just want to know the outcome at the end. Since I have nothing but time on my hands, why not....

I have lived here about 9 years now and always paid for my own medical care. Previously at private hospitals such as Bumrungradad Hospital in Bangkok, Vibhavadi Hospital ( Totally incompetent ) or Bangkok Pattaya, which I suggest you check you bill very carefully upon check out, but have been to many. After seeing the quality and extreme lack of knowledge on how to treat a patient medically of the Doctors at Bangkok Pattaya and Vibhavadi. I elect to go to a decent Gov't run hospital for many more reasons, which I will not go into now.

I will keep you all posted on the outcome after I get this done. I am going to Pattaya in a few days for a week or 2, so probably won't finish this mess til I return.

Cheers to all!

• 10 months later...

Married my Thai wife in November last year and commenced living in her house in Pichit Province, then we went through a lot of registrations. I did not know at the time, that a "tabian bahn" normally only costs about 100-baht, so when she was charged 5,000 baht I suspected we were being 'ripped off.' Talked to my Thai legal advisor about complaining to the Governor, (as it was extortionately expensive), but was advised against it, as I would then have problems with the government office concerned in the future. In retrospect they gave it to me early (as both myself and my wife had been working overseas for two years), and they usually like to see the foreign national as being at that residence for a few years. It has however saved me a lot of expenses, as I seem to have similar rights to a Thai, especially with very low cost (or free) medical expenses, so it has paid for itself already. The Tabian Bahn is virtually essential for obtaining a 'Marraige Visa,' but also opens a lot of other doors when dealing with government officials, so I would advise anyone to get one if you can, (from the local Amphur), but you need the help of the property owner where you reside, - Richard

Edited by ubonjoe
Changed to default font