Immigration And English

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a saying goes this way- when in Rome, do as the romans' do.

I think this is applicable to language that

it is our part as 'aliens' to their country to understand Thais and not for them to adjust to us.

If they speak broken English and we understand what they want to say, then why should we take it as a problem?

I believe English is still the number one language for all the nations in the world to communicate effectively as the globalization is doing pretty fast and great and English is taught everywhere ....the most widely used language is English even though English doesn't have the most speakers......I'm Chinese anyway, I speak Chinese with my parents only coz they didn't learn English during their generation. However, for my family, we totally speak English a lot more than Chinese only if I teach my kid to speak her second mother tongue and my husband is American - Filipino ,which means we totally give up learning filipino language and my kid still Must learn thai in the school......

I do hope immigration officers could work harder on English and they have to be aware that not all the Chinese could speak thai well....I can't speak thai very well coz I don't use thai in my job and family ,and do your guys think I couldn't speak English coz I'm Chinese and u just can explain everything in thai to me instead of English ? Mark this, I'm a foreigner as well.....as ASEAN is widely awared here and English is your guys official language too....

• Like 2

Will someone please keep in mind ASEAN choose English as the official language. It was not us native English speakers.It was their choice.

I have only traveled in western Europe. I can assure you most people and public employees speak at least basic English.

• Like 1

We know the definition of official language and mother tongue ........ppl here just suggest Thais work harder on English instead of telling Thais must make English as your official language ,,,,,looking around neighboring countries , how do they sort out this issue especially for those gvt and organizations which need deal with foreigners....?

Hi all, I don't want to be a "dog in a manger" but..........maybe we should get off our ..............!+=& and learn a little Thai.

I have found that being here since the beginning of December last year I have managed t learn quite a bit of conversational Thai. I won't pretend it is easy but we are guests in a foreign country. Surely we should make some effort to assimilate ourselves in to Thai culture?

I am almost 61 and find that Thais respond very well if you speak some of their language. I have made and are making many friends and enjoying the language learning process very much. smile.png

Btw, we told our daughter to learn thai diligently and she studies in a bilingual school instead of international school coz we live here and she was born here...we need socialize with local ppl and know more about culture / tradition ..well,.Thailand has a stronger economic relatively and learning more English can definitely benefit business a lot ......

• Like 2

Pops

Do immigration officers in Malaysia, Cambodia, Laos, Vietnam etc speak the "international language"?

Just asking !

Sorry to butt-in, I know this was asked of 'POPS'.

I can only quote my own experiences, but yes they do; to varying levels, and not necessarily everybody, but those dealing directly with 'internationals' have a relative skill. After all, that's pretty much the point of having the office.

Moving very slightly off-topic, [again] in my experience, the land & transport (DLT) offices/officers in Thailand have always had not only a 'willingness' (though not always strong ability) but a much improved 'attitude' towards foreigners. I've not always walked out with what I wanted [in hand], but they have always seemed to try their utmost to get close to it.

If this ONE gov department doesn't treat us as an 'inconvenience', it would be nice if the others would follow suit.

• Like 2

I usually renew my visa in NAN and they speak English well, although I usually choose to speak to them in Thai. You say why the HHHLLLL can't they speak better English?? I say you have chosen to live here why the HHHLLLL do you not learn basic Thai? It is their country and you would do a lot better if you try to fit into the local society with customs and language. I am not speaking Thaii perfectly. but I have made an effort to learn to speak and read basic Thai. This has helped me a lot in the past.

• Like 1

IDL

"I can only quote my own experiences, but yes they do; to varying levels, and not necessarily everybody, but those dealing directly with 'internationals' have a relative skill"

My experience would mirror yours.

When I left Thailand a few week ago I had an enjoyable conversation with the IO who asked where I was going and noting my re-entry permit asked when I hoped to return - all very pleasant! On my return I was again addressed in English by the IO who asked if I was pleased to be back in Thailand and who also asked me to check that he had got the "permission to stay" date correct before he stamped my passport.

Unlike some I have no complaints !

pianoman

If what you assert is true why does the UN employ so many interpreters ?

widely spoken doesn't equate to fluency or 100% of the population.

Or maybe they have a goal of 100% employment and it's a makework project to have interpreters - and it's politic

by the way - I do agree that English is prevalent - more so in business - and even there sometimes an interpreter is necessary and used - when needed.

ps. with forms in thai, it makes it possible to use local interpreters on a casual, free basis - ie walking dictionaries with long hair - instead of hiring them

How many British Immigration workers speak Thai ?

Just sayin like.

Yeah baby say it like it is.

We are guest in this beautiful country, let us not be too demanding. After 13 years you should be able to talk to them.

• Like 1

pianoman

If what you assert is true why does the UN employ so many interpreters ?

They employ interpreters mainly to translate/convert the English language to the other personel that don't understand English. They also employ hundreds more interpreters to translate another foreign language to another foreign language eg an Afghanistan speaking to an African, or a Japanese speaking to a Pilipino.

However the majority in the UN do speak English

Read somewhere that a person who speaks three languages is tri-lingual, a person who speaks two is bi-lingual and a person who speaks only one language is generally English.smile.png

Let's just add a few more to your list of uni lingual people.

Let's try Americans, Australians, New Zealanders. I've omitted other British Isles residents and Irishmen as they may speak Gaelic, Welsh or Erse. Some South Africans, generally English speakers, are also capable of Afrikaans.

Huge numbers of English residents (citizens) don't speak English since they are from diverse ethnic backgrounds. South Western United States has millions of Hispanics who only speak Spanish.

I've also been here over 10 years and have learned basic conversational Thai, but I think the original post was actually commenting on the almost total lack of any English ability on behalf of Immigration officers outside Bangkok, Pattaya and maybe Phuket. There are few people who would have the courage to complain directly to an officer on their lack of English skill.

Even the Thai P.M. speaks beautiful English.

I am sure there are many on this board who are cunning linguists and capable of speaking in many languages, but the average person is lucky to be able to handle two.

• Like 1

As ASEAN is using English as a standard and as Thailand agreed to this, and to train Govt sufficiently, er, by now actually- all immigration and related staff should be fluent , seems the OP has a valid point.

Even Chinese speak English.

I agree and as I said, all the form I have had to deal with are in Thai and English so you would expect to be able to use either. I did suggest perhaps a year ago to a very nice lady at Samui immigration that the TM. 7 should also be available in Russian but was told that that would cause more problems than it solved. Upon reflection, I think she was right.
Chinese speak English??

What rot. They may in all the large tourist destinations but 350ks inland where I am, fat chance. I need an interpreter every time I go to immigration.

Read somewhere that a person who speaks three languages is tri-lingual, a person who speaks two is bi-lingual and a person who speaks only one language is generally English.smile.png

Let's just add a few more to your list of uni lingual people.

Let's try Americans, Australians, New Zealanders. I've omitted other British Isles residents and Irishmen as they may speak Gaelic, Welsh or Erse. Some South Africans, generally English speakers, are also capable of Afrikaans.

Huge numbers of English residents (citizens) don't speak English since they are from diverse ethnic backgrounds. South Western United States has millions of Hispanics who only speak Spanish.

I've also been here over 10 years and have learned basic conversational Thai, but I think the original post was actually commenting on the almost total lack of any English ability on behalf of Immigration officers outside Bangkok, Pattaya and maybe Phuket. There are few people who would have the courage to complain directly to an officer on their lack of English skill.

I am sure there are many on this board who are cunning linguists and capable of speaking in many languages, but the average person is lucky to be able to handle two.

Ah yes, cunning linguists very droll. LOL

Just sayin like.

And that is a valid compharizon? That was amongst the worse I have ever heard actually..... May I therefore

ask you... - "how many countries outside Thailand, speak thai"??? How many countries outside Sweden speak swedish?

No it is NOT the english-spoken "restoftheworld" that shall adapt to these non-educated immigration-officials... They must start to understand that there is a whole would outside Thailand, and that they must adapt to it in order to survive in the long run.....

By the way... I do not know about Britain, but I gues it is exactly like Sweden. Both Britain and Sweden are having translators for all kind of languages and we are just doing fine....

I agree too, it is a shame that the immigration officies here in Thailand speaks so bad english or no english at all, so I should feel ashame if I were a thai......

Glegolo

You must be the guy or his brother that I worked with in Europe many years ago who walked off the job because all the local workers didn't speak English and the food, beers etc wasn't real.

I ended up staying there for 3 years and had a great time and made 'loadsamonie'biggrin.png

Are you joking or you are Thai ?

If you are Thai I understand your point that rest of the world should speak Thai or at least all the tourist that want to visit Thailand they should take like 2 years Thai language curse before their trip...

I never quit any job because their don't speak my language but looking for job and dealing with emigration authorities are two different things.

You like it or not English is international language (and I'm not English speaker... even not close) to communicate and all offices which are dealing with foreigners should hire people with ability to speak this language on the medium level at least to communicate with their clients with out problems,

If you ask me about UK... I've spent 6 years in this country and what I have to say is - if you going to any office and you can't speak English you can ask for translator and they do their best to make communication easy and no matter if you are German, French, Spanish, Russian, Polish or Chinese,,, they will probably find translator... I can beat that they would find translator even for Thai speaker.

And please safe me "... if you don't like Thailand you can leave..." etc because is not about me... and I think is beautiful country just missing someone like (sorry for comparison) Pinochet from Chile who give an order to execute every official who has been even suspect of the corruption... I know is little radical but you you have cancer you have to cut it out...

What I mean is that maybe is time to say : Helooooooo Thailand is not center of the world... well is not even center of Asia anymore with all those countries growing around and Thailand staying in the same place from ages... example: 3G - big deal and huge national noise about it... 5 years to late :P

Just sayin like.

The difficulty with your comparrison is that right or wrong, English has become the language of the world.

I think you've got the language issue the other way around.

13 years in Thailand. Can't speak Thai?

Some folks seem to pick up the language in a short visit, while otheres have extreme difficulty. My first contact with the language was in 1966 and by late 67, I got along pretty well - enough to travel by myself around the country.

HOWEVER, the tones escaped me completely.

This time around, I have been here almost 10 years and Key Mah (ride a horse) still sounds exactly like Key Mah (dog poop).

Yes, occasionally I wonder why someone is angry or surprised, then realize it is pronunciation - I still hear the tones as emotion.

Only if she is reading from a script that was written by someone else and I'm told her Thai is nothing to write home about either. Elocution lessons would seem to be her saving grace by all accounts.
  • Like 1

My neice in Belgium speaks about 6 languages fluently. She speaks english perfectly.

Most europeans speak some english.

I agree tha English is probably the world business language.

As for me, I can speak Thai well enough to do business in Thailand, but I lived there 3 years and have been married to a Thai

For 44 years.

Chulai 6768

• Like 1

Frankly I wish that some of the thai students who study hard and do LEARN English would be rewarded with better job opportunities whether in immigration or private business....but it just doesn't seem to happen. Many thai biz that have a lot of farang English speaking customers seem to hire their staff without giving any preference to language abilities. I have been told that most don't even ask applicants if they speak any language and certainly don't pay any premium for those kids who DID LEARN ENGLISH. Up north the local TOT office in the mall has a lot of farang/English customers but the staff speaks very little or no English...meantime the local high school every year has several students graduate who do speak fairly good English but can't find a job. So much for study hard and get ahead.

My concern is that in spite of all the farangs telling thai kids that you will earn more if you speak English the reality is that is not nearly always true.

If you ran a business in the USA or Europe that had a LOT of Thai speaking customers wouldn't you at least attempt to hire some employees who speak Thai? If you had a biz with a lot of French speaking customers wouldn't you try and hire a French speaking staff member? Simply makes good business sense.

• Like 1