P M Yingluck Shinawatra: Mass Media Must Exercise Press Freedom Responsibly

webfact

BANGKOK WORLD NEWSPAPER CONGRESS
Mass media must exercise press freedom responsibly : PM

Pravit Rojanaphruk

BANGKOK: -- Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra told the World Newspaper Congress in Bangkok today that mass media must exercise press freedom responsibly.

Freedom without responsibility can lead to confusion and even turmoil," the prime minister said.

She pointed out that on the Internet, when damage has been done, "it is impossible to reverse the damage".

"Freedom is not unlimited even in an advanced democracy," said the premier, during a special address at Centara Grand Hotel, citing such issues as national security. On Monday, outgoing President of World Association of Newspapers and News Publishers (WANIFRA) Jacob Matthew expressed deep concerns about the "misuse" of the lese majeste law in Thailand. One editor, Somyos Prueksakasemsuk, of the nowdefunct "Voice of Taksin" news magazine, was sentenced to 10 years in prison earlier this year for publishing two articles, which he testified had been written by exiled former proThaksin politician Jakraphob Penkae, deemed defamatory to the monarchy by the court.

Yingluck made no mention of the lese majeste law, which contributes to the low ranking of the Thai press in freedom indexes, such as one published by Freedom House, however, but stressed that editors and journalists must strike a balance between freedom of the press and media responsibility.

The premier also said that Thailand is embarking on major infrastructure projects such as highspeed trains that would link Thailand with its neighbours, Laos among them, and that the infrastructure link would eventually extend to China, Russia and Europe.

She said the mass media had a crucial role to play in providing information that would create common ground and understanding amongst people of different nations.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-06-04

Freedom is not unlimited even in an advanced democracy,

Even less so in a "banana" democracy, she wanted to add.

And non-existent in a dictatorship, she mulled.

I once asked in China why the word "harmonious" was so widely used in the English language news. Compliant, peaceful people is what they want. In Thailand that can be said to go for all sides mind you.

The premier also said that Thailand is embarking on major infrastructure projects such as highspeed trains that would link Thailand with its neighbours, Laos among them, and that the infrastructure link would eventually extend to China, Russia and Europe.

She said the mass media had a crucial role to play in providing information that would create common ground and understanding amongst people of different nations.

How would the "mass media" be able to provide information when the government wont?

Or does that mean that the "mass media" must only publish information as given to it by the Government ?

No investigation allowed.

• Like 1

The premier also said that Thailand is embarking on major infrastructure projects such as highspeed trains that would link Thailand with its
neighbours, Laos among them, and that the infrastructure link would eventually extend to China, Russia and Europe.

Uuhh? Dear Yingluck, I know your brother needs some money to play with but this is really the wrong congress to mention this. Just don't over do it if you want to be taken serious.

The fourth estate has always been there for a reason, to keep the public informed of the truth as most politicians can't be trusted in that department. Of course in the modern world the media is changing with power being diverted away from the big organisations and the people increasingly throwing in their twopennyworth ( which coincidentally is about what most newspapers are worth now).

The fourth estate has always been there for a reason, to keep the public informed of the truth as most politicians can't be trusted in that department. Of course in the modern world the media is changing with power being diverted away from the big organisations and the people increasingly throwing in their twopennyworth ( which coincidentally is about what most newspapers are worth now).

I find modern news to be far more politically biased than in recent times. That's OK if as a viewer or reader you are informed enough t to know.

The Shinawatras and friends are doomed ... eventually. I'm not in favour of any political parties in Thailand as they are each the unpopular 'choice' that the population chooses to elect for 500 baht, or simply because they have no other reasonable options.

Whichever way you look at it - culturally, politically, historically, etc. - the country is digging itself into an unpleasant hole from which it will take years to excavate, by which time most neighbouring countries will have cemented their position in the regional economic markets.

You reap what you sow, and the harvest is looking dirtier and more corrupt than ever, and a far cry from the pure, fertile and rewarding one which many locals are foolishly believing in.

Oh well ... enjoy.

• Like 2

Perhaps this is a hint that criticism of the "big borrow" will not be tolerated.

Anybody want to guesstimate what percentage of Thais WANT a high speed rail service?

Created by a low speed brain service?

In short the press is free to say and do any thing they want as long as it is OK by her majesty and her faithful attendants.

Also please do not wear white masks. It is upsetting her if she can not see who to trump up charges on.passifier.gifintheclub.gif

replying to this topic, i see at the bottom of the page:

4 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 2 guests, 1 anonymous users >>> ehh better NOT to reply then ......crying.gif

I would just like to say what a wonderful government we have and that PM Yingluck and her team of honest, hard working professionals are doing a fantastic job.

Seconded...... I think I'll organise a Barn Dance, in a barn, to celebrate the wonderful achievements of the current set.

I'll have to find somewhere else to put all the rice though.

• Like 1

The premier also said that Thailand is embarking on major infrastructure projects such as highspeed trains that would link Thailand with its

neighbours, Laos among them, and that the infrastructure link would eventually extend to China, Russia and Europe.

Uuhh? Dear Yingluck, I know your brother needs some money to play with but this is really the wrong congress to mention this. Just don't over do it if you want to be taken serious.

I think she is trying to ride on China's workings. They are the ones who want to link Singapore with the capital of China via a fast train.

I don't think Thailand wants to go along with it. China was talking about doing it proper. Two rails over passes away from villages. Not the Thai way of doing business.

Roughly Interpreted: .....This is the new PTP Press Freedom and Democracy,so stop complaining and whinging, it's not going to get any better,so get used to it, oh! ...and only report the good points of PTP,and only the bad points of the Democrats. i.e all Red Shirts marches/protests, are always to be reported as peaceful,and all Democrats Protests are anti Democratic,Violent, and need Tear Gas,Razor Wire, and a more than usual Armed Police Presence. and all of you who were promised to be made rich in 6 months,don't forget to thank your Chinese/Thai Boss who made it possible. And he will be back one day,to make you as Mega Rich as he is, and finally .................Welcome to your new found Poverty Stricken Press and Mass Media Freedom! who will ensure you will stay in the very same poverty stricken position as you have always been!