Ministry Of Tourism Considering Yingluck's ' Thai Maldives' Proposal

webfact

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Following her officials visits to Sri Lanka and the Maldives, Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra expressed her wish to attract more high-end visitors to the country."

"her wish"? My, are we getting a bit impatient? It's less than three months ago that her excellency the PM only "urged" the Tourism Authority of Thailand to attract more "high-end tourists" into the country.
http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/627804-yingluck-urges-t-a-t-to-attract-more-high-end-tourists-into-thailand/

These clowns live in a dream world. If you want beautiful pristine beaches with rolling surf you will have to pay for it and go to Australia.

If Australian quarantine officials came to Thailand they would immediately rope off the gulf from Chumpon in the South all the way up and around the gulf to Rayong as bio hazard area.

You never know they might rope off all of Thailand which would save putting up that fence on the Thai Malaysian border.

It's a good idea and would probably help but I don't see it happening.

Anyway I'm off to tell the authorities in Glasgow, Scotland that they should model themselves on Walt Disney World Florida.

Maybe it is Sharia law she wants to impose. This is fb post I made. Seems girl was repeatedly raped by step father, even had a baby by him, and now will punish her for sex outside of marriage, which seems to be okay if tourists do it, but not citizens:

"I sent this email to the President of Maldives (home of lashes for rape victims):

" It is my understanding that a 15 year old rape victim is to receive 100 lashes for "sex outside of marriage", in accordance with Sharia law. Giving the victim punishment for rape is like cutting the hand off a robbery victim.

Usually after mentioning Allah, the phrase "The just, the merciful" is added. Is this just? Is it merciful? If those who support this evil believe they are doing Allah's will, they will have a big surprise when they meet their maker. I can imagine them hearing this:

"You were given a brain so you could think. You did not use it. The prohibition against sex outside of marriage applies to those who WILLINGLY do that. That was not the case here. But you WILLINGLY perverted the message of the Koran to punish the innocent. Where she should have had comfort and support, you gave pain. Now it is time for your pain, and you will go to hell. Woe unto those who use my message for their own power and twisted hearts."

She must be pardoned, even though she did no wrong. That law is inhuman and is not something "the religion of peace" should tolerate.

It's obvious she has no understanding of the fisherman in Thailand. I fish, have many Thai fishing friends, and go out on their long tails all the time. Anything that is not needed, from cigarette butts to empty petrol bottles to badly damaged nets, goes overboard. I've seen a guy curse because his fish trap was filled with rubbish, then take it out and throw it back into the water an arms length away. I've lived on a few islands and there's no way they're going to keep them clean as long as people have that mindset. Plus most of the coral reefs are dead already from people fishing improperly.

Just a simpleminded thought: Have you done any attempts to change that mindset of the people you know? I mean, it has been stated many times that things cannot be changed by the central government alone (if at all). They have to be changed locally and from the inside.

No offense meant, just curious.

Honestly, I admire people who stand up for things like that, but picture my scenario. A Thai friend invites me to go fish with him and 3 of his friends. Talented fisherman who have been doing this daily for 40+ years with knowledge passed on to them by their family. I'm sitting on a small boat with 4 other people, almost touching the people sitting next to me, watching them jumping into the water pulling out their fish traps and setting them up again. I'm the only farang these guys have ever fished or hung out with. I'm being polite, respectful, and cordial based on Thai customs (not sticking my feet in anyone's face, properly greeting people, "krap pom", etc.), because I know many Thai people, especially the older ones, have a very skeptical view of farang that tends to lean negatively. These are good, genuine guys, and since I'm respectful to them, they're respectful to me. There is no way I'm going to tell them not to do something. What I do is put my trash into my pocket, which they all see because they're constantly curious about how farang do things, and show them a bit of my culture. Personally, I don't believe in Thailand it's going to work in a "grassroots" style. It's going to happen from television and laws. Do Thai people like wearing helmets on their motorbike? Doesn't seem like it. But put up signs that say helmets are required 100% of the time and have the police fine people 200 baht for not wearing one, and whaddayaknow, people are wearing helmets. Have the Thai police get out on the sea and check the fishing boats for a utilized trash bin, and fine them 1000 baht if they can't show proof they're not dumping all their crap into the ocean.

• Like 1

While Thailand does indeed have some beautiful islands & beaches--Phi Phi/Phang Nga Bay/Similans/Ang Thong--it's completely different kettle of fish. There can be no comparisons of either's 'model'--honeymoon destination vs fun in the sun. Just make use with what you've got Thailand, don't be unrealistic and TAKE CARE OF YOUR VISITORS!

whistling.gif I took a trip in early in the spring of 1979 to Phuket.

At that time there were fishing boats crewed by local Thai crews crews who went out fishing every morning and pulled up to the beaches about 1300 to 1400 every day and sold the Fresh Fish and Seafood directly from their fishing boats right on the beach.

There were small restaurants who would buy that catch and fire up there charcoal barbecue pits and begin to cook that catch bought directly from the fishermen.

No middlemen.

No Hotels with big fancy restaurants for big spending tourists, just seafood grilled in thatch hut restaurants right on the road next to the beach.

No middlemen to inflate the prices and no high-so hotel owners with the new Mercedes owning International hotels with fancy names siphoning of all the money from the actual local fishermen who lived there.

I can remember when what is now a Meridian hotel was just a one story palm thatched hut with a couple of charcoal barbecues that grilled Fresh Seafood every day.

Grilled Tiger Prawns were 2 baht each, shrimp 1 baht each, Grilled Crabs 75 Satang each( Do you even know what a Satang was?) and the Rice was free with the Seafood. (Who then would PAY for a bowl of steamed Rice?

Lobsters were expensive items at 4 or 5 baht each, but they were Big ones.

That, my friend, is what International Tourism did to Phuket since 1979.

I was there before it started.

Oh yes, little sister of the man from Dubai, we need more Tourists in Thailand.

rolleyes.gif

Edited by IMA_FARANG

Not really a good idea for Thailand, except maybe certain, specific islands that could be easily controlled. I fear broad implementation of "high end" attitudes would make Thailand into Haiti or Jamaica - with thousands of unemployed "them and us" types, roaming the beaches, hoping for a miracle.

Edited by pizzachang

Yingluck should describe what she is thinking not as a "wish" but as her "impossible dream".

The list of necessary changes is almost endless and here are some examples:

guns and knives used by locals at the slightest provocation

scams

violent crimes

robberies

burglaries

stabbings

gunshots

rapes

murders

drugging "customers" by prostitutes

ladyboy crimes

snatch and run robberies

young Thai "gangs" using guns to attach each other in public places for every reason possible

bashing and mugging of tourists by Thais for the slightest provovation

jet ski rip offs

baht bus mafia

tuk tuk mafia

taxis not using meters

double pricing

dumping garbage and rubbish everywhere

dirty beaches and feces in the water

untreated sewage flowing directly into the sea

filling water drainage street sewers with everything possible including cooking oil, motor oil and garbage draining untreated into the sea

corrupt police and government official that allow things to happen for "tea money", friends and family

How many of these problems are common in the Maldives? Yingluck, you have your work cut out to achieve your "impossible dream".

• Like 2

It's true that backpackers tend to stay longer . . . but they also spend much, much less . . . if you extrapolate the information then you need to add the factor of tourists (as distinct to backpackers for this discussion) coming and going (replacement/continuous income) while the backpacker stays . . . it's not a one-on-one comparison.

I don't think anyone is saying that the backpacker will be turned away at the border, so why the angst about wishing to address more affluent tourists?

Tourists who booked a package tour (as opposed to backpackers) often spend very little apart from the cheap package they have booked.

Backpackers are not only young people who make a 6 months SE Asia tour, squeezing every penny they spend on the way, but also middle aged couples with nice incomes, who just book the flight ticket and travel around independently for a few weeks.

Restaurant, bar and tour counter staff will be able to tell you that those staying at Nok's Guesthouse often spend far more generously than those staying at the Hilton, who came on a package tour.

They may book package tours, certainly not all of them, also have their money go to the service provider at the destination . . . and if you now add middle aged couples with nice incomes to the backpacker set you are moving the goalposts to the extent that no serious discussion can take place.

Your focus on package tours seems to lead your ideas and judgement . . . and I doubt that Nok's staff know how much is spent at the Hilton . . . a convenient choice of resort.

Again, I'd love to get some facts instead of 'Nok's barstaff'. This is the industry I work across the region, hotels/resorts and general hospitality . . . but I am always open to new information, which is hopefully based on some facts. Thanks, though

This guy, and eryone else in the Tourism Authority of Thailand are totally disillusioned and in a place that is far from reality.

Thailand is a corrupt dump that treats tourists as cash cows to be milked and abused by every low life scum around. All aided and abetted by a defunct and morally bankrupt police force, vile racist legal system, corrupt judges, local and land office officials. Add to this the wonderful tuk tuk's thugs, the local Mafia, jet ski scams helped by the Marine police and you have some idae of how the Thais look upon their tourists.

Get real Thailand and shake off your illusions of grandeur....you will always continue to attract lower quality tourism and the local scum and have no chance of getting quality tourists, such as the Maldives, Mauritius, Sechelles, etc, as long as you continue with your current rotten system that makes some African despot states look attractive.

• Like 2

This guy, and eryone else in the Tourism Authority of Thailand are totally disillusioned and in a place that is far from reality.

Thailand is a corrupt dump that treats tourists as cash cows to be milked and abused by every low life scum around. All aided and abetted by a defunct and morally bankrupt police force, vile racist legal system, corrupt judges, local and land office officials. Add to this the wonderful tuk tuk's thugs, the local Mafia, jet ski scams helped by the Marine police and you have some idae of how the Thais look upon their tourists.

Get real Thailand and shake off your illusions of grandeur....you will always continue to attract lower quality tourism and the local scum and have no chance of getting quality tourists, such as the Maldives, Mauritius, Sechelles, etc, as long as you continue with your current rotten system that makes some African despot states look attractive.

IN Apost-9891-0-50834500-1370430868_thumb.jp clap2.gif Sad but oh so true!

It's obvious she has no understanding of the fisherman in Thailand. I fish, have many Thai fishing friends, and go out on their long tails all the time. Anything that is not needed, from cigarette butts to empty petrol bottles to badly damaged nets, goes overboard. I've seen a guy curse because his fish trap was filled with rubbish, then take it out and throw it back into the water an arms length away. I've lived on a few islands and there's no way they're going to keep them clean as long as people have that mindset. Plus most of the coral reefs are dead already from people fishing improperly.

Just a simpleminded thought: Have you done any attempts to change that mindset of the people you know? I mean, it has been stated many times that things cannot be changed by the central government alone (if at all). They have to be changed locally and from the inside.

No offense meant, just curious.

Good point. It starts with one person.

Thai tourism is working, lots of tourists, so why change anything? Thailand does not need to be the Maldives, or St-Tropez, or even Brazil, just be Thailand. Then fix up the many small problems in this great nation: the petty and annoying scams, the complex visa rules, the garbage. And if you are talking "long-stay tourists" create a long term tourist visa—3 months (without extension) or 6-12 months.

Yep, as long as the p@sxy is here and relatively cheap, not much else truly matters. Sad nature of us men (most of us, anyway).

It's true that backpackers tend to stay longer . . . but they also spend much, much less . . . if you extrapolate the information then you need to add the factor of tourists (as distinct to backpackers for this discussion) coming and going (replacement/continuous income) while the backpacker stays . . . it's not a one-on-one comparison.

I don't think anyone is saying that the backpacker will be turned away at the border, so why the angst about wishing to address more affluent tourists?

Tourists who booked a package tour (as opposed to backpackers) often spend very little apart from the cheap package they have booked.

Backpackers are not only young people who make a 6 months SE Asia tour, squeezing every penny they spend on the way, but also middle aged couples with nice incomes, who just book the flight ticket and travel around independently for a few weeks.

Restaurant, bar and tour counter staff will be able to tell you that those staying at Nok's Guesthouse often spend far more generously than those staying at the Hilton, who came on a package tour.

They may book package tours, certainly not all of them, also have their money go to the service provider at the destination . . . and if you now add middle aged couples with nice incomes to the backpacker set you are moving the goalposts to the extent that no serious discussion can take place.

Your focus on package tours seems to lead your ideas and judgement . . . and I doubt that Nok's staff know how much is spent at the Hilton . . . a convenient choice of resort.

Again, I'd love to get some facts instead of 'Nok's barstaff'. This is the industry I work across the region, hotels/resorts and general hospitality . . . but I am always open to new information, which is hopefully based on some facts. Thanks, though

If you want a serious discussion, please give us the generally recognized definition for the word "backpacker", so that we know exactly which tourists qualify as being such, and which don't.

Edited by metisdead
30) Do not modify someone else's post in your quoted reply, either with font or color changes, added emoticons, or altered wording.

If you want a serious discussion, please give us the generally recognized definition for the word "backpacker", so that we know exactly which tourists qualify as being such, and which don't.

According to you one does not need a generally recognised definition as anyone can be counted as one . . . carry on then

I think that the only things that the Maldives and Thailand could ever have in common is that one is an independent state shortly to be under water and the other will have it's capital city in a similar condition.

I spent 4 idyllic weeks in the Maldives in 1959 when it was totally unspoilt. It wouldn't surprise me if they had a few fish and chip shops and Bingo halls there now.

BTW don't send your ardent supporter with the ear problem to talk to the Maldivians. They are Muslims. He'd only screw up - within 90 days.

The beach in Hua HIn is an embarrassment. I remember when it was clean, but I wouldn't swim there now. There's garbage all over the place. They need to put in garbage cans and washrooms, and clean the beach regularly. That would do more for tourism than the next mega fun park.

Thailand should create a new visa class for English teachers so they can tutor independently or work part-time without being thrown in jail. If Thailand did this, non-English-speaking falangs could come here to study cheaply, as well as Thais. More foreigners here spending money, more high-quality, low-cost English education. Two birds, one stone.

I won't hold my breath, though.

I think that the only things that the Maldives and Thailand could ever have in common is that one is an independent state shortly to be under water and the other will have it's capital city in a similar condition.

I spent 4 idyllic weeks in the Maldives in 1959 when it was totally unspoilt. It wouldn't surprise me if they had a few fish and chip shops and Bingo halls there now.

BTW don't send your ardent supporter with the ear problem to talk to the Maldivians. They are Muslims. He'd only screw up - within 90 days.

Having stayed there recently, I can report that there are a few overdeveloped islands (mostly inhabited by locals), some nice resort islands and some almost completely undeveloped islands there. Something for everyone. No tuk-tuk mafia. In fact barely a track, let alone a road, on most islands.

What exactly is Yingluck's Maldives proposal. Clean up the beaches, clear away all the jet ski, time share and other scamsters, increase prices by 500% and them scuttle Thailand, so it sinks to the bottom of the ocean but she will take away 1 billion baht in cash, gold and shares and run away to Dubai.

Posted Image

I'd wager 99% of those talking about turning Thailand into the Maldives couldn't even find it on a map.

That said, someone needs to get Chalerm on this. He'll have Thailand looking like the Maldives in three months.

As long as its finished by the end of the year. Otherwise his successor will pick up the task.

I think you'll find the Maldives are 'in the South'. Seems to cover any 'where is' question in CM.