Getting Retirement extension was an (expensive) piece of cake

If you get the multiple entry retirement extension then you don't need a permit to leave/re-enter.

You can just go and come back as you please.

A "multiple entry retirement extension" ???

What is that? Cost? Never heard of that...?

I think he means a Multiple Entry Non-O visa obtained from a Consulate / Embassy outside of Thailand.

I remember reading that there is a need for some kind of "permit to leave/re-enter" needed each time the holder goes out of Thailand. I would be grateful for any clarification ... wai.gif

I must be missing something here...If the US Embassy does not require any documentation of income...And Thai Immigration accepts that at face value...Why would anyone bother with the fixed deposit in a Thai bank ???

First

only works if ur American

second your SWEARING UNDER OATH;

I also affirm that I receive US$ _________________ every month from the United States Government and/or other sources. I am applying for a Thai visa/ an extension of a current Thai visa and any assistance you can provide in this request will be greatly appreciated.

KINGDOM OF THAILAND

Bangkok, Thailand

Embassy of the United States

Subscribed and sworn to before me this date:

If you do not have the specified amount ur swearing to , you could be in big trouble

Phuket NOW requires an addtional letter from your US bank although ( for now) Bangkok and Pattaya do not

Phiket can indeed require extra proof for the American people, it is not necessarily a letter from a US bank but any legit documentation is accepted.

This is not strange in my opinion as the US declaration is basically worthless as there is no proof required to get this letter.

There is no proof for any letter beyond the applicant saying it is true - just papers submitted that may or may not be valid - the responsibility is the applicant making this submission be it paperwork or signature on letter being notarized. This signature makes the US or other person subject to there own countries laws just as submitting false paperwork would.

As for checking immigration can, and does occasionally, check any income letter from any applicant.

Also printed an on-line income statement and handed it to Thai Imm to compliment the Embassy notary letter. Imm ruffled through papers, glanced at the income print out and handed it back saying, "No need", accepting the Embassy letter on face value.

In a increasingly cynical world where trust is a rare commodity, I enjoy and appreciate the policy as it is, and hope it doesn't get abused by some <deleted>.

Also printed an on-line income statement and handed it to Thai Imm to compliment the Embassy notary letter. Imm ruffled through papers, glanced at the income print out and handed it back saying, "No need", accepting the Embassy letter on face value.

In a increasingly cynical world where trust is a rare commodity, I enjoy and appreciate the policy as it is, and hope it doesn't get abused by some <deleted>.

to all those stating same as above,

would help if u stated which immigration office.

Phuket requires additional letter.

others as I said , do not (YET)

whistling.gif Regarding the U.S. embassy "certification" letter of your income.

That letter is NOT certifying your income.

All that the letter actually says is that you .....

1. Appeared before the consulate officer of the U.S. embassy, .

2, Made a statement you claimed to be true to him or her of the amount of your income.

3, He or she verified your identity and acknowledged your statement as given to him or her,

4. And your identity and your status American were verified by the consulate officer,

While many people (falsely) think that this income statement is proof of your income, if you ask the consulate officer directly he or she will tell you directly they are NOT verifying the accuracy of your income statement.

All they are verifying is those 4 points above.

However, as the consulate officer signs as a Witness, the Thai immigration accepts this income statement as a U.S. government document,

In fact, if that statement is contested as to it's truth, the U.S. government and the U.S. embassy will NOT defend you because of that income statement you made.

All they actually certify is those 4 points above.

I was actually at the U.S. embassy once when a very irate man came in and demanded the consulate officer defend him against the Thai immigration who refused to accept his income statement from the embassy.

They told him exactly what I just told you, that they do not verify your income statement, they only verify those 4 points I mentioned above.

whistling.gif

P.S.

Therefore, if you are on a Pension or Social Security you should be able or ready to vrtify your income if that statement is contested.

You can get a official statement of your Social Security benefits from the Social Security Administration in the U,S.

If you have a private pension you can get a notice of that from your pension provider.

I did, but I didn't need to show them when I goy my retirement approved.

Edited by IMA_FARANG
  • Like 1

A multi entry visa allows multi entry - there is no re-entry permit required. Only to keep a current stay (such as for extensions) is a re-entry permit needed.

Thanks for the clarification.

What happens if my retirement extension is due to expire during one of my family visits out of Thailand? Do I have to pre-empt this and get a new extension before leaving, or do I have to start the whole process from scratch when I re-enter Thailand?

P.S. Irish passport.

Edited by jpinx

Either apply early or start over on return. Normally that accept up to 30 days early without any specific reason and may allow more in some cases (although this seems to be less likely recently). But starting over is no big deal as same paperwork required every time - just have to get a new non immigrant visa entry.

Either apply early or start over on return. Normally that accept up to 30 days early without any specific reason and may allow more in some cases (although this seems to be less likely recently). But starting over is no big deal as same paperwork required every time - just have to get a new non immigrant visa entry.

Applying early would be more economic (save the cost of a new non-O visa) but will they date the new extension from the date of issue or the date of expiry of the old one ?

Applying early would be more economic (save the cost of a new non-O visa) but will they date the new extension from the date of issue or the date of expiry of the old one ?

Extensions always start from the end of your current permission to stay, so you lose nothing by extending early.

Sophon

• Like 1

whistling.gif Regarding the U.S. embassy "certification" letter of your income.

That letter is NOT certifying your income.

All that the letter actually says is that you .....

1. Appeared before the consulate officer of the U.S. embassy, .

2, Made a statement you claimed to be true to him or her of the amount of your income.

3, He or she verified your identity and acknowledged your statement as given to him or her,

4. And your identity and your status American were verified by the consulate officer,

While many people (falsely) think that this income statement is proof of your income, if you ask the consulate officer directly he or she will tell you directly they are NOT verifying the accuracy of your income statement.

All they are verifying is those 4 points above.

However, as the consulate officer signs as a Witness, the Thai immigration accepts this income statement as a U.S. government document,

In fact, if that statement is contested as to it's truth, the U.S. government and the U.S. embassy will NOT defend you because of that income statement you made.

All they actually certify is those 4 points above.

I was actually at the U.S. embassy once when a very irate man came in and demanded the consulate officer defend him against the Thai immigration who refused to accept his income statement from the embassy.

They told him exactly what I just told you, that they do not verify your income statement, they only verify those 4 points I mentioned above.

whistling.gif

P.S.

Therefore, if you are on a Pension or Social Security you should be able or ready to vrtify your income if that statement is contested.

You can get a official statement of your Social Security benefits from the Social Security Administration in the U,S.

If you have a private pension you can get a notice of that from your pension provider.

I did, but I didn't need to show them when I goy my retirement approved.

Exactly, not sure if anyone had a doubt about that? Just pisses off every other country in the world, but mostly just Geglio, who despises that Americans are treated like honest adults who never lie. But really, it's not THAT big of a deal. If ya' got it, no problem, if you don't, and try to BS your way through, you'll be caught out eventually, if not just screwing it up for everyone else.

WRT the recent hubbalo on validity length of income notary letters, US Embassy apparently went to bat for making their letters good for 6 months vs. the new (or revised) policy of only 15 days validity. Accordingly, an ALLCON notice was sent out from Bangkok Imm HQ re: the 6 month policy for US income letters. Life is good, heh, heh.

When challenged shortly thereafter, an expat in Nakhon Ratchasima apparently was told, after a huddle with the Imm office boss, that the order was from Bangkok, therefore somehow didn't apply to them, just Bangkok. I had to chuckle, wondering where the order for the new 15 days validity came from ~ probably Bangkok ~ so reversing that order ends up with the application of the provincial attitude toward National Immigration policy from HQ. Interesting. Not really. crying.gif

It doesn't pay divs to be more informed on new policy in the province before it has had time to trickle down at a rate slower than TOT DSL, nor shove Thai Imm policy in the face of a Thai Imm officer, or his/her boss, who will then just feel cornered, resent it, and potentially lose face.

Personally, I didn't see any benefit to a 6 month income letter validity. If it were for life, as in SS and US Military pensions, for instance, that would be something useful. My pension is the same now as was last year, and will be next year (I hope, Ben Bernanke), save for any COLA rises (yeah, maybe).

End of the day, 15 days or 6 months, who cares, still have to drive to BKK for the letter inside of each year one way or the other. passifier.gif

what visa run to singpaore? dont see that on the list?

Did u use the emabssy letter for the full amount?

No bank book letter?

Good job! goes to show u it is easy to do on ur own.

The trip to Singapore was necessary because I only had ten days left on my tourist visa - not enough.

Yes, I used the embassy letter for the full amount. However I did need to prove I had a Thai bank account - my ATM card sufficed.

But you could also have gone a few days earlier when you still held a tourist visa.. In my opinion your cost calculation should start from the point you entered Thailand.

what visa run to singpaore? dont see that on the list?

Did u use the emabssy letter for the full amount?

No bank book letter?

Good job! goes to show u it is easy to do on ur own.

The trip to Singapore was necessary because I only had ten days left on my tourist visa - not enough.

Yes, I used the embassy letter for the full amount. However I did need to prove I had a Thai bank account - my ATM card sufficed.

But you could also have gone a few days earlier when you still held a tourist visa.. In my opinion your cost calculation should start from the point you entered Thailand.

Unless I am mistaken - it is not possible to get an extension for retirement on a tourist visa -- but I stand to be corrected ... smile.png

But you can convert to a non immigrant entry for retirement extensions at immigration from a tourist visa for 2,000 baht and proof of meeting the financials within 90 days. But there should be 15 days or more remaining on current entry (tourist visa or visa exempt).

"7 Thai immigration: Got the 1 year extension June 9 (1900 baht)"

I didn't think Thai Immigration are open on a Sunday. June 9 2013 was a Sunday.

You're right, it was June 10.

What about police report and medical certificate?

not needed for a one-year extension within Thailand. These documents are only needed if applying for an O-visa based on retirement outside of Thailand.

What about police report and medical certificate?

not needed for a one-year extension within Thailand. These documents are only needed if applying for an O-visa based on retirement outside of Thailand.

They are only needed if applying for a Non Immigrant OA visa, not if applying for the Non Immigrant O visa.

Sophon

• Like 1