The Ashes Tour 2013

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It was Umpire Tony Hill again. He was the one who gave root not out in the first

innings for a regulation caught behind which was over-turned.

He has made some clangers even as the 3rd umpire and doesn't seem to be up to test standard.

I think it Was BookMan who said the majority of the umpires are from England and Australia.

I think they just have to have the best umpires but can understand why they have independent ones.

I'm sure if the authorities asked both camps they would just ask for the best umpires available.

Again, a riveting test match even if some think it is a dead rubberwhistling.gif

That's a weird one!

England appeal, Rogers given out.

He reviews and hot sport shows the ball hit his pad, not his bat.

But hawkeye shows he was out lbw on umpires call.

But because the umpire gave him out caught behind, which he wasn't because he hadn't hit it, he was allowed to stay.

If he's out, he's out, I'd have thought; but the rules say different.

Weird indeed. It seems the laws allowed for only one bite of the cherry for the review, based on the umpire's original decision of caught behind (which was shown to be wrong)

What would have been the interpretation if the umpire also believed that the ball would have hit the stumps had there been no nick??

CONSIDER THIS SITUATION:

Batsman swings at a ball, which deflects off his pad and goes through to the keeper.

Umpire believes there was no nick, and raises his finger for LBW.

Batsman reviews the decision, which indicates a nick.

As the umpire's original decision was out LBW, overturned by DRS, can he then change his decision to out caught behind?

Hope the ICC can sort out this DRS mess before it does some real damage to the great game.

Edited by Radar501

I think not, as in this case it is the original decision which is being reviewed and if the review shows that that decision was incorrect then the batsman is not out.

But I understand that this will change in October, and the new rule will mean that in the same situation Rogers would have been out, with the decision changed from caught to lbw.

Now my head hurts!

I think it Was BookMan who said the majority of the umpires are from England and Australia.

I think they just have to have the best umpires but can understand why they have independent ones.

I'm sure if the authorities asked both camps they would just ask for the best umpires available.

8 out of the 12 on the elite panel are English or Australian; which leaves just this four for this series, and the next!

I am sure that both boards and both teams would not have any problem with Australian and English umpires standing in an Ashes series.

But the ICC would; because other nations whose umpires are not as, let's say competent, would say that if England and Australia can have home umpires, we want them too.

Remember that the whole neutral umpire thing came about because of perceived (sometimes obvious!) bias shown by some home umpires in some countries. Though not England nor Australia.

8 out of the 12 on the elite panel are English or Australian; which leaves just this four for this series, and the next!

I am sure that both boards and both teams would not have any problem with Australian and English umpires standing in an Ashes series.

But the ICC would; because other nations whose umpires are not as, let's say competent, would say that if England and Australia can have home umpires, we want them too.

Remember that the whole neutral umpire thing came about because of perceived (sometimes obvious!) bias shown by some home umpires in some countries. Though not England nor Australia.

Are you suggesting that some of the umpires from the subcontinent were not up to scratchbiggrin.png

I don't think Javed Miandad was ever given out LBW in Pakistan.

I'm sure that Mike Gatting would've preferred neutral umpiresfacepalm.gif

Hate to point it out but,

"In the 1970-71 Ashes series, not a single Australian batsman was given out leg before wicket, a common form of dismissal; Bill Lawry, the former Aussie captain, was never out LBW in a home test. Eventually neutral umpires were brought in to eliminate the issue of home bias."

• Like 1

I was being diplomatic!

222 for 5 when bad light stops play.

Well done Rogers on his maiden test century; at 35 the second oldest Australian to score a maiden century.

More fun if ...

Well done Rogers on his maiden... at 35 the second oldest Australian to score a maiden ... rolleyes.gif

• Like 1

The series is lost, it's all over. Huff and puff all you like. The next two tests are show matches.

Incidentally like you guys I've followed cricket since boyhood, a short playing career of three years, 37 years of watching it. Give it a by with the stupid comments about Scots, there are plenty of Scottish cricket fans and virtually all of us support England.

Sorry to burst your ill founded "caber tossing, what do we know" puerile crap.

Never mind puerile crap. A playing career of three years! The mind boggles! This is an Ashes series. The next two tests are show matches! Haha.I'm sorry but you clearly have no idea what you are talking about..The idea that the Aussies , in an ashes series would just roll over with two games to go in the series when if they won the next two they would square the series is just laughable to anyone who understands the game to be honest. Which you clearly don't, despite your 3 years "career", and 37 years of watching it! Just a tip for you, blether, you won't get too many likes on the cricket forum, especially when you clearly don't know what you talking about! Better stick to the Thailand News forum, which i see you have just discovered will give you lots of 'likes' if you join in with the moronic Thai bashers. I will even concede that you are intellectually superior to the vast majority of them, but i'm sure you have worked that out already.coffee1.gif

I don't feel the need to lie about my limited playing career, and I'm not ashamed to admit I only played for three years. Better that than to have played not at all. thumbsup.gif

However only an arrogant pompous fool could write off someone who has avidly watched the game for 37 years as not having a clue about it. Those Australian boys would be on the first plane back if you gave them a chance, it's only deluded fans that think otherwise.

In fact, it's always the deluded fans that are the last to know. Just have a look at cricket in the last few years if you want proof of that. smile.png

Blether,

You only have to look at the Australian balcony when Rogers reached his 100 and when he left the field at the close to see how much the Australian players care.

You only have to look at the England players reactions when they had Australia on the rack; at their reaction when Rogers was given not out on review; at their reaction when they finally got Watson out to see how much they care.

You only have to look at the crowd at Chester-Le-Street and their reactions to see how much they care.

You only have to look at the comments on here and any other forum where the series is being discussed to see how much many other people care.

Real cricket lovers do care about this game and, whatever the result here, the next at The Oval.

You made a stupid comment and, as usual, your ego will not let you accept that you were wrong.

You say you don't care about the rest of this series; so go away and leave this thread to those of us who do!

• Like 1

Another day when Australia came out on top.Rogers century was hard earned and not without some luck, our batsmen could learn something from it. Anderson's form is a worry and the decision to pick Bresnan over Onions is now an obvious mistake.

Anderson looked out of form at Old Trafford, and more so here.

Maybe the mistake was in not picking Onions instead of Anderson and so giving Anderson a rest?

Those Australian boys would be on the first plane back if you gave them a chance, it's only deluded fans that think otherwise.

Maybe I should change my signature here to 'deluded Australian Cricket Fan'.

Not only are the boys playing for pride ... they are trying to set the scene for the next series.

If I was a Coach/Captain/Selector ... I'd trying different combinations to probe England's weaknesses.

Plus, victories in the final 2 tests after the 'almost' victory in Test #3 would place serious doubts in the minds on the Poms.

I've bowled my over ... next ... coffee1.gif

BTW ... 3 day weather forecast for the grounds?

• Like 1

You have a very long tail.

If we can get Rogers or Haddin out early, then England could be batting again before lunch.

Big 'if' though!

Yep, the tail has lengthened without Starc and Agar.

A crucial first hour/session coming up.

Anything could happen, that's why it's so intriguing.

You may have a point about Anderson, others have mentioned he looks tired. The selectors disappoint me though, they are too rigid in their thinking. I don't think this Durham pitch suits Bresnan's bowling though and his supposed superior batting has not happened.

Need some quick wickets this morning and hope that at least 1 other bowler can support Broad, should get tasty when the new ball arrives.

Some rain around lunchtime and again late afternoon today.

Rain all afternoon tomorrow.

Tuesday dry.

But even so, the way the game has gone so far we should have enough time to get a result (or is that the eternal optimist in me talking?).

That be a 'Kangaroo Tail'

... the natives* aboriginals keep the tails in the freezer and cook them up for a snack ... sort of like their fast food.

* ... though not very PC of me and our fairer skinned readers across the big ditch may not have understood the common, though not entirely derogatory description. Much the same as 'coon' cheese or 'Nigger Brown Stadium'.. Is it what it is.

blink.png .. could be the all out for another 30

Good start from Swann. Lets hope the rain does not decide the outcome of this game. Looks like it will be a low scoring game so we should get a result.

Haddin out thats a good start for England.

If we can get Rogers or Haddin out early, then England could be batting again before lunch.

Big 'if' though!

I think you will find Bird and Siddle bringing up the rear....two genuine tail enders there

Indeed; if by 'genuine tail ender' you mean the same as me!

Sam Sheringham, BBC Sport at Chester-le-Street

"With handy lower-order batters Ashton Agar, James Pattinson and Mitchell Starc all missing, England will hope to do a better job of knocking over the Aussie tail than they have done so far in the series. In fact, the sum of the first-class career batting averages of Australia's tail (8-11) going into this match is 55.32. For the first three Tests it was 96.23, 94.41 and 70.51."

Wasn't so big an if, Haddin and Rogers both out.

Tremendous applause for Rogers as he left the field, and well deserved.