South African commits suicide at Pattaya Hospital

Rimmer

South African commits suicide at Pattaya Hospital
PATTAYA:--A 77 year old South African, who had already made attempts at his own life committed suicide early on Thursday Morning in a Hospital toilet.

Mr. Klaus Erich Leskf was admitted in the early hours of Wednesday after it was reported he had slit his wrists on Pattaya Beach in front of Soi 8, in an apparent suicide attempt.

Mr. Leskf was taken to Banglamung Hospital where he made a further attempt at his own life and was restrained for his own safety. After some time Doctors decided to remove the restraints after Mr. Leskf’s mental state appeared to improve.

In the early hours of Thursday he is thought to have gone to the toilet where he placed a plastic bag over his head and used his Hospital Wrist Band, issued to every patient, to tie the bag tightly around his head. He is then thought to have lost consciousness and fall to the floor, sustaining a serious head injury.
-Full story:http://www.pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/91964/south-african-commits-suicide-pattaya-hospital/

pattaya-one.jpg
-- Pattaya One 2013-06-20

A sad story, but he did seem very determined to end his life.

He must have had some severe anguish in his life or maybe some illness or mental illness but to suffocate yourself seems a terrible way to go. And not to even rip the bag open in a last desperate moment, he obviously wanted to end it all.

A sad story, but he did seem very determined to end his life.

He must have had some severe anguish in his life or maybe some illness or mental illness but to suffocate yourself seems a terrible way to go. And not to even rip the bag open in a last desperate moment, he obviously wanted to end it all.

I think in lack of euthanasia, the plastic bag is actually one of the better options

Gee, must have been a very long wrist band to be able to fasten a plastic bag over his head.

Those things can stretch a lot without breaking, that's what they are designed for i.e. not to come off unless cut off.

Sorry someone felt the need to take their own life.

But would it not have been easier just to have hidden his credit card on admission to the hospital.whistling.gif

Banglamung is government run, they can't reject patients or ask before treatment for guarantees that the bill will be paid. It's also cheap, until his death the bill was maybe 1,000 Baht.

Gee, must have been a very long wrist band to be able to fasten a plastic bag over his head.

Those things can stretch a lot without breaking, that's what they are designed for i.e. not to come off unless cut off.

Livestrong? :(

• Like 1

Sorry someone felt the need to take their own life.

But would it not have been easier just to have hidden his credit card on admission to the hospital.whistling.gif

Banglamung is government run, they can't reject patients or ask before treatment for guarantees that the bill will be paid. It's also cheap, until his death the bill was maybe 1,000 Baht.

Suppose I took a knock at the wrong hospital, as a UK citizen it is a bit of a shock when needing urgent medical assistance to be greeted by the cashier.

How low some people sink too... I could never even think about doing this EVER..

I could and it should be a free choice too.

Just imagine a terminal disease or other things long and painful death no hope for recovery.. give me the easy way with help of a doctor then please.

• Like 1

The Pattaya Daily News reports that the man was robbed a few days earlier so maybe that has some bearing on the reason for the suicide.

However, The Pattaya Daily News is quite well known for getting basic facts completely wrong and leaving out important details about a case.

• Like 1

How low some people sink too... I could never even think about doing this EVER..

Just imagine a terminal disease or other things long and painful death no hope for recovery.. give me the easy way with help of a doctor then please.

For Thailand a Living Will is the way to go, it's legal under Thai law. English lanuage template follows:

THIS DECLARATION is made by

As I make this declaration I am of sound mind. I direct this declaration to my family and to anyone else who may become responsible for my health, welfare, financial, or other affairs. I hereby declare as follows:

Should circumstances come to exist, such as there is no reasonable expectation of my recovery, I direct that no extreme measures of any kind be used. In the event that there is a substantial question about the possibility of my recovery, or if there is no reasonable expectation of my recovery, I request that medication or other measures be utilized to reduce my physical suffering. I ask that this request be carried out even in the event that such measures or such medication may shorten my life.

On behalf of myself and my Estate I hereby release from any liability all hospitals, physicians, other medical personnel, and all other individuals having any part in complying with the requests made herein above.

Signature

Dated

Witness 1:

Signature

Witness 2:

Signature

Edited by simple1

For Thailand a Living Will is the way to go, it's legal under Thai law. English lanuage template follows:

As I make this declaration I am of sound mind. I direct this declaration to my family and to anyone else who may become responsible for my health, welfare, financial, or other affairs. I hereby declare as follows:

Should circumstances come to exist, such as there is no reasonable expectation of my recovery, I direct that no extreme measures of any kind be used. In the event that there is a substantial question about the possibility of my recovery, or if there is no reasonable expectation of my recovery, I request that medication or other measures be utilized to reduce my physical suffering. I ask that this request be carried out even in the event that such measures or such medication may shorten my life.

On behalf of myself and my Estate I hereby release from any liability all hospitals, physicians, other medical personnel, and all other individuals having any part in complying with the requests made herein above.

Signature

Dated

Witness 1:

Signature

Witness 2:

Signature

Simple that is all nice and so but that is passive euthanasia and could mean a lot of suffering anyway. Give me active euthanasia any day where they help you on your way not withhold what you need. I don't have many good things to say about my home country but this is one thing the world can learn a lot from.

Of course you need a living will too but the difference is they will send you on your way painless where as here they just stop things that help you live and you still might die slow and with pain.

Signature

Dated

Witness 1:

Signature

Witness 2:

Signature

Simple that is all nice and so but that is passive euthanasia and could mean a lot of suffering anyway. Give me active euthanasia any day where they help you on your way not withhold what you need. I don't have many good things to say about my home country but this is one thing the world can learn a lot from.

Of course you need a living will too but the difference is they will send you on your way painless where as here they just stop things that help you live and you still might die slow and with pain.

Are you saying that in Thai hospitals that accept Living Wills they will not honour the request that medication or other measures be utilised to reduce physical suffering

@simple

What i heard and i could be wrong (i hope so) is that they just stop treatment or life support but not give a high dose of a sedative to send you on your way. So you would be slowly dying. I heard this from a nurse and seen how my gf's father was just turned of life support no sedative given.

Yeah, suicide is a free choice. Or is it? I wonder how many are not incurably ill, but kill themselves because they run out of money, or feel they are a burden on relatives, or desperate for some other reason a caring society could fix.

Here's a statistic that might make you think about celebrating suicides.

Suicide-Stats-2.png