U.S. Embassy Appointments

just got back this morning from Bangkok.

needed new us passport,had 10:00 appointment for yesterday,showed up at 0930

we were the last one to sign in at the window. all 18 slots were already signed in.

asked the guard in the window he said as long as you have an appointment for that day,you can come at any time.

he told the wife that the appointment system was to keep track of who comes and goes at the embassy

passport renewable fee -$70.00 +$40.00 =$110.00 -B2100+B1200 =B3300

income paper fee -$50.00 =B1500

EMS enviellope fee - B80.00

embassy B30.. - $1.00

Ms Kerry Webb is gone,have new guy John Craze(kind of slow)

Total time at embssy 45 minutes

Questions.

1. $70 + $40 = $110; is the $40 for extra pages?

2. EMS fee; Is this to have your new passport mailed to you?

Do you know if one can, for example, come back the next day or two (something reasonable) and pick up the new passport yourself?

Two weeks for new passport. Everything goes back to U.S. Passports are no longer produced in Thailand. since 9/11. They say 2 weeks and 2 weeks it was for me, to the day, when I received an email saying that it had arrived back in BKK and they were sending to me (in Sisaket). I had supplied the ems envelope and I received my new passport 2 days later in the mail.

Edited by jhawks09

All about U.S. passports here:

http://bangkok.usembassy.gov/passports.html

You can pick up the new passport yourself, but the Thai EMS service is good, I'd sure not bother:

"4. Allow two weeks for processing. Passports must be collected at the ACS section by the applicant or authorized representative. An appointment is not necessary to pick up your passport."

Mac

Two weeks for new passport. Everything goes back to U.S. Passports are no longer produced in Thailand. since 9/11. They say 2 weeks and 2 weeks it was for me, to the day, when I received an email saying that it had arrived back in BKK and they were sending to me (in Sisaket). I had supplied the ems envelope and I received my new passport 2 days later in the mail.

As recent as 2010 passports were still being produced in Thailand.

I've gotten mine back in as little as 3 days, but usually 1 week each time.

Since August 2007, the department has issued only biometric passports, which include RFID chips. An issued non-biometric will remain valid until its stated date of expiration, with the final non-biometric passports expiring on August 1, 2017.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_passport

And these passports are only made in USA.

Hubby got his new passport in Chiang Mai. He went on-line on 10 September and was amazed to find appointments available for the next day. Guess what -- he was the only American stupid enough to come into the CM Consulate voluntarily on 9/11. Anyway, he got an email within a week saying his new passport was ready for pick-up. I guess many other Americans decided it would be best to avoid their consulates/embassies on that date.

Edited by NancyL

Since August 2007, the department has issued only biometric passports, which include RFID chips. An issued non-biometric will remain valid until its stated date of expiration, with the final non-biometric passports expiring on August 1, 2017.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_passport

And these passports are only made in USA.

I respectfully disagree. The Govt Printing Office still prints passports (blanks) overseas. In 2008 ABC did a 3 part show on this and how maybe we shouldn't print passports overseas and not worry about cost savings. They print the blanks overseas and send them back to DC for processing. The chips are also printed overseas. What ceased in 2007 was the printing of the old "legacy" passports without chips.

"In March 2008, the Washington Times published a three-part story about the outsourcing of electronic passports to overseas companies, including one in Thailand that was subject to Chinese espionage."

AFAIK the blanks are only Temporary/emergency types since change to chips. The regular passports are all made and issued from US. Yes chips/materials may be imported but they are put together and issued in US.

I renewed my U.S. passport a few months ago...made an appointment on line...at the appointment I submitted the application on a Monday/1pm at the Embassy...was told it will take approx two weeks to get the new passport as they are made in the States...got the email notice 9 calendar days later on a Wednesday morning that the new passport was ready for pickup...jumped in my SUV and went and picked up the passport...no appointment needed to pickup the passport.

I wouldn't be surprised that the Embassy just takes the application a person submits, inputs/scans it in, transmits it to the States-side location where the passports are made, and then the States-side location mails the completed passport to the Embassy for customer pickup.

I wouldn't be surprised that the Embassy just takes the application a person submits, inputs/scans it in, transmits it to the States-side location where the passports are made, and then the States-side location mails the completed passport to the Embassy for customer pickup.

That is exactly how it is done. That is also the reason that if you apply for a new passport on an outreach they keep your old passport so that it can be scanned when they get back to the embassy.

passport renewable fee -$70.00 +$40.00 =$110.00

To the OP I don't know where you came up with this. The fee is a flat $110.00.

See: http://travel.state.gov/passport/fees/fees_837.html

The passport fee at the embassy is the only one that that I see as a good deal. If you wanted to get a passport as fast as you get it from the embassy it would cost you an extra $60 for expedited service in the States.

Edited by ubonjoe

I will be filing a passport renewal application when the USA Embassy outreach program makes their next visit. They do about 4X per year and it is very convenient for us in Phuket. You fill in the application and give that and old ppt to the officer on the visit, sign and verify. US$110 + photo, extra for EMS (80 baht) to my house. A good friend did exactly this procedure here several months ago, got his new ppt + old one (defaced) delivered to house two weeks later. Know the US Embassy has same outreach program to CM and other major points in TH, much appreciated by all here.

That is exactly how it is done. That is also the reason that if you apply for a new passport on an outreach they keep your old passport so that it can be scanned when they get back to the embassy.

passport renewable fee -$70.00 +$40.00 =$110.00

To the OP I don't know where you came up with this. The fee is a flat $110.00.

See: http://travel.state.gov/passport/fees/fees_837.html

The passport fee at the embassy is the only one that that I see as a good deal. If you wanted to get a passport as fast as you get it from the embassy it would cost you an extra $60 for expedited service in the States.

Probably from another website/document where they use to/still do breakdown the total $110 fee as $70 passport fee plus a $40 security fee...like this U.S. Consulate webpage for Guatemala.

My only dealing with US Embassy BKK was for my wife's holiday visa (I am UK citizen) and we wanted to see Las Vegas. It took weeks of trying to fill form in on line (it kept crashing.) Weeks to finally book an appointment (check very early morning - 6am!). We stayed overnight at a hotel so we could get there early for our 8 o'clock. Waited from 7.15. My wife was allowed in at 7.45. Appointment for 8 seen at 11.30! Meanwhile I was outside on the pavement.

My last visit to the US.

Arrived in Los Angeles to a scrurm. Missed connecting flight as we had to collect baggage & re-check it in.

Never again; and I loved America & Americans.

he told the wife that the appointment system was to keep track of who comes and goes at the embassy

I suspected as much when they implemented it, just another method of recording our every coming and going.

Not suprised in light of recent revelations

Well, while that may be a byproduct to a degree I don't think it's Big Brother watching you. Once a person makes an appointment then they could very well show up with several people tagging along like the wife, kids, etc....like I sometimes take my wife along on my trips to the U.S. Embassy every year or so....there is no log made of her entry...she flashes her U.S. passport but no log of her entry is made. I think the appointment system is just geared to smooth the daily workload/number of people showing up versus having those days where everybody in the world seems to show up. For an emergency, a person can still just show up with no appointment....or when picking up your passport no appointment is needed....I expect there are other reason also.

"Know the US Embassy has same outreach program to CM and other major points in TH, much appreciated by all here."

I'd guess that there is no Outreach visit in CM. People in CM can use the consulate.

I agree that the visits are very much appreciated. A nice service.

Another option for those in the Northeast, is the embassy in Laos. It would require you to go pick up your passport in person, I suppose. Don't think they offer return by mail service from there.

Visas to the US can also be obtained there.

• 3 months later...

I attended the US Embassy Outreach meeting in Pattaya on Sept. 12. For Passport renewal and affidavit of income. I was told it would take 2 weeks to have Passport completed and to allow another week for it to be mailed to me on Koh Chang. 21 days takes me to Oct. 3 and my Thai Retirement visa expires Oct. 7.

What do you think my chances are of getting it back before the 4th, so I can get to the mainland immigration office on the 7th? It was posted onto the Thaipost EMS system on Sept. 16.

Who posted on the 16th? If the passport from Embassy you should already have received it long ago. But yes I would expect you will get by the 4th but there is a chance Embassy may have to curtail services next week if government is not funded - but suspect you will beat that even if it happens.

My only dealing with US Embassy BKK was for my wife's holiday visa (I am UK citizen) and we wanted to see Las Vegas. It took weeks of trying to fill form in on line (it kept crashing.) Weeks to finally book an appointment (check very early morning - 6am!). We stayed overnight at a hotel so we could get there early for our 8 o'clock. Waited from 7.15. My wife was allowed in at 7.45. Appointment for 8 seen at 11.30! Meanwhile I was outside on the pavement.

My last visit to the US.

Arrived in Los Angeles to a scrurm. Missed connecting flight as we had to collect baggage & re-check it in.

Never again; and I loved America & Americans.

Those are just typical travelling problems why stop loving America because of that, always remember Americans are treated no better at the Embassy.

Edited by moe666

I will be filing a passport renewal application when the USA Embassy outreach program makes their next visit. They do about 4X per year and it is very convenient for us in Phuket. You fill in the application and give that and old ppt to the officer on the visit, sign and verify. US$110 + photo, extra for EMS (80 baht) to my house. A good friend did exactly this procedure here several months ago, got his new ppt + old one (defaced) delivered to house two weeks later. Know the US Embassy has same outreach program to CM and other major points in TH, much appreciated by all here.

Why would they have an outreach program to CM as they have a consulate.