Thailand's DSI uncovers complicated plot behind luxury-car scam

webfact

I remember reading in the Bangkok Post that BMW/Benz etc would not longer cover 'Grey Market' for insurance claims, so how complicated can this be?? I guess if you are Thai then these schemes are obviously hard to follow, so is this an IQ issue or just the fact that nobody cares that rich people are not paying tax for their luxury cars?

it is easy for BM/merc, etc to do this, as they can simply check the VIN against what the company actually imported.

The same goes for VW as well now.

Apparently they, the dealer, will charge you xxx,xxx.00 registeration fee, to get serviced. But still not covering breakdowns/ malfunctions costs.

i.e. you pay to get your car accepted into the dealer's shop, then you still have to pay for parts and labour costs.

My understanding is since last year, and since a while earlier, Benz and BMW respectively will not service a grey market car at all unless it is grandfathered in under previous schemes, when they previously allowed a payment to be made to allow the car to be serviced.

This means all servicing takes place OUTSIDE the official network of Benz Thailand and BMW Thailand. In the case of Benz, many of the grey market importers are former Benz dealers (e.g. CarMax Rama 9, BMG, etc) so they have the skills and equipment to handle servicing. Theoretically.

It is not difficult to understand why SOME grey market models are sold even though the buyers are aware of the potential consequences.

1. models not available through official channels

2. models sold cheaper or with more options than official channels

3. models sold as kitset/assembled cars

From what I understand, 50% of Benzes sold in Thailand are grey, around 80%+ of Audis are grey, BMW is something lower than 50% while Mini I would guess is definitely over 50%. Certain brands like Porsche have a lot of wiggle room on tax hence come in grey, whereas, other cars don't.

Some cars appear to be legitimately imported, the ones that are called a 'rod bragop' are the ones that are most questionable; the more questionable ones are often running at discounts as high as 25-30%; for that level of discount I suppose some people believed that there would be no consequence as so many cars have been coming in this way for the last 2 years - suddenly the playing field is changed.

If buying, then it is worth it to check the title and documents, the grey market importers some have been around a long time, some are, to repeat a word, more questionable.

All the manuals and diagnostic tools have to become public 6 months after the car is launched. I understand there is quite a business bringing trained technicians over to pass on their knowledge for a small fee.

These bigger grey dealers can carry out just about any repair. Many of the official dealers will also do service for a fee even if they aren't meant to. They just don't give the official service stamp.

If the Government charged a reasonable import duty you would not have all this corruption and dodgy dealings the import duties are a joke only the very very wealthy can afford these cars but they can also afford to pay off the courts and lawyers !!!!!!!

The import tax is set so high for a reason or 2, in my eyes.

1. They want people to buy Thai made products, any products [vehicles or electronics etc.].
  2. If you can afford to buy an imported product you are rich

Therefore, being rich enough to buy an imported high end car, means you are sticking rich and very HiSo. Status of the highest order. whistling.gif

The only complicated plot that DSI has to cover, is that it all involves the very rich, this time no Democrats and no sucker taking the fall or being set up, you have no choice in this matter DSI , to much has come out in the open , you have to place charges, now that's gonna hurt ya big time.

Where do the cars ORIGINATE from?? Are they stolen cars? I do know most "luxury cars in the USA and Europe can be bought for pennies on the dollar compared to THAILAND's reselling prices...I see old Mercedes 450sl's which would cost 250,000 baht in the USA selling for 5 times this price here in THAILAND. Ask a German expat what an AUDI will bring when its 10 years old...hardly anything in Europe but for some reason they ask over the top prices here and seem to get it.I do know THAIS love their cars..but really..these prices are absolutely Nuts...Last comment AGAIN...Where do the CARS come from?? Are they stolen? Are they shuffled on containers from port to port?

Edited by metisdead
Please do not post using bold font. Bold font removed.

Where do the cars ORIGINATE from?? Are they stolen cars? I do know most "luxury cars in the USA and Europe can be bought for pennies on the dollar compared to THAILAND's reselling prices...I see old Mercedes 450sl's which would cost 250,000 baht in the USA selling for 5 times this price here in THAILAND. Ask a German expat what an AUDI will bring when its 10 years old...hardly anything in Europe but for some reason they ask over the top prices here and seem to get it.I do know THAIS love their cars..but really..these prices are absolutely Nuts...Last comment AGAIN...Where do the CARS come from?? Are they stolen? Are they shuffled on containers from port to port?

There is no need to steal, and do you think British other right hand drive countries let hundreds of cars through of they are stolen?

Make a company in the UK and buy a car. That's it.

Edited by Thai at Heart

• 11 months later...

This could work out nicely for DSI as I'm sure the paper chase could be difficult especially with people from Customs Dept., Registration authorities etc.helping produce or hide necessary documents along the way BUT best of all continually emphasizing the " complicated ' nature of the enquiry allows DSI to proceed slowly and carefully.

Tarit needs lots of time and " meetings " to manoeuvre through the minefield of those found to be involved and identify the toes not to be stepped on.

Yep, old habits die hard.

Where else in the world would you have a DSI that has spent umpteen man-hours investigating all angles of this fraud, then when they've pin-pointed the culprits they come out and publicly say "we'll be having a meeting at the end of the month about this"...<deleted>..??

This is simply too funny words. This scam was big news a few months ago, and then did the

classic gentle Thai fade away as the DSI would have been stepping on some big toes.

Now with the iron fist of Prayuth rooting out corruption, these cases have magically come

back to life. God I love this place....... Well hopefully they can actually complete the

investigation into Chalerm's silly pink Bentley ...