7/11 Enforcement of the Law Pattaya

bartender100

It's been like this for years on the darkside, at least in the 7-11's I frequent. Only can sell 11am-2pm and 5pm-12pm. In fact I even thought that the cash tills couldn't process alcohol sales outside these times, although I might have dreamed that bit.

If that's the law, which I wasn't aware of, then good for the BIB.

Been the law for a long time, but enforcement has been sporadic.

Still many thousands of Mom n Pop shops around that don't adhere to it though!!thumbsup.gif

• Like 2

Sometimes actively enforced and sometimes it's just a case of a non-clued up member of staff. The cash registers have something set in the system that prevents them from ringing up alcohol sales outside of 11-2, 5-12, but all the staff have to do is press "No" after they scan the item and it allows the sale. Several times a new member of staff has refused me and a passing experienced member of staff has obligingly informed the newbie to press "No".

If they're fining the employees now that might actually make life difficult...

If that's the law, which I wasn't aware of, then good for the BIB.

Been the law for a long time, but enforcement has been sporadic.

Still many thousands of Mom n Pop shops around that don't adhere to it though!!:thumbsup:

Knew about the restricted sales hours but didn't know it included midnight to 11 am too.

There is also the wholesale exception...something like 10 or more bottles/cans is ok anytime?

Foodland usually allows purchase of alcohol at any time of day. (I never shop after midnight; so I can't comment on that.) I've bought a couple of bottles of wine or spirits in there many times between 1400 and 1700, and only a couple of times has a clerk told me that I couldn't buy it at that time. My guess is that, since Foodland shoppers are primarily adult farangs, they let it slide. The purpose of the law is, supposedly, to prevent kids from buying liquor during those "peak children's hours" after school. ... Ludicrous! I suppose that the ban on sales after midnight is designed (by the naive politicians) to prevent those who've already had a snootfull at the bars from increasing their level of intoxication. ... Again, ludicrous!

But it makes a nice talking point for the BiB leadership.

For the first time, I was refused a purchase of a couple of beers in 7/11 yesterday, in the middle of the day, must have been within the restricted hours.

Bought about an hour later.

Enforcement obviously happening at some of them.

There was always a "look the other way" with the convenient stores selling beer during the day --especially the ones along Beach Rd. but today around 3pm I was told "Cannot sell Misssssssssster until five" by a Family Mart Clerk. I always could before. So following the law is the norm (for now). Next week, who knows?

Edited by toenail

I thought that Thailand took their licencing hours from the UK's old one, the brief period from 11-2pm is to allow drinks to be taken with meals at lunch, and only allow it from dinner hours to when the entertainment venue's supposed to close, with no regard for early licence for shift workers and shut-ins after hours. Well, at least they had the forethought to allow wholesale for restaurants and such at any hours, but only for 10 litre or more, sometimes I'd only need a couple of bottle of spirit to replenish my bar, but technically I can't.

I might be wrong but I think this was introduced during the Taksin years.

Friendship was selling this afternoon, but I did nip in a couple of 7/11's to have a look, and it was no sale till 5pm

Indeed the law dates back to the Thaksin era, and is intended to prevent the school going youth from bying alcohol.

Now take note of the hours that alcohol sales are allowed. 11 am - 2 pm are the lunch break hours. 5 pm - 11 pm is when school is finished until they go sleep.

The hours that alcohol sales are prohibited is when they are in the classroom or have their night rest.

Friendship was selling this afternoon, but I did nip in a couple of 7/11's to have a look, and it was no sale till 5pm

Indeed the law dates back to the Thaksin era, and is intended to prevent the school going youth from bying alcohol.

Now take note of the hours that alcohol sales are allowed. 11 am - 2 pm are the lunch break hours. 5 pm - 11 pm is when school is finished until they go sleep.

The hours that alcohol sales are prohibited is when they are in the classroom or have their night rest.

School lunch is 12 and most kids leave between 3-4 so the restriction is set correctly

School lunch is 12 and most kids leave between 3-4 so the restriction is set correctly

So noon isn't between 11am an 2pm in your book ?