Feedback about Riverside Restaurant dinner cruise

telstrareg

Hi, is this any good or a tourist trap? Any feedback appreciated.

As far as I understand you get on board and start dinner and then after 45mins the boat starts going back and forth along the river. From the look of the pictures you share tables with the other guests.

Specific questions:

-Is the food good?

-Is the atmosphere on the boat fun or romantic?

-is the volume of music OK for conversation?

It's fine. Locals often do it just for something different and relaxing. We do it a couple of times per year.

You do not share tables. You have a private table.

The food is excellent at Riverside. Pricey, but good. They have Western food (burgers, etc.) and Thai food (fish prepared steamed, fried, whatever you choose). I would say the atmosphere is romantic. They have some Lanna music playing softly in the background. Be sure to order enough drinks, ice, etc. to last 2 hours.

Recommended.

• Like 1

We go about once a year -- you don't share a table with strangers, but the other tables can be close to yours. Sometimes, if they're nearly full, we tell them it's OK to sit another couple with us, but they always leave the rest of the table open -- they are tables of 4 and they push two together for larger groups.

The music is low, just enough for atmosphere. I think the food at Riverside is good, reasonably priced and the service excellent. It's a very good value for the experience. In fact, I've reserved one their boats for special lunch-time cruises three or four times for larger groups and the ladies are always amazed at how inexpensive (and fun) an experience it is.

There is no guide or narration, so it can be a bit baffling for total newbies because you have no idea what you're seeing on the shore. That's why my ladies lunch cruises are so much fun, because some of the ladies have been here a long time (or are native Chiang Mai ladies) and the newbies can ask questions about what we're seeing.

Edited by NancyL

Yes i did it a bit over a month ago. It is as accurately described above. I would recommend it once or twice a year, or if you have visitors and/or friends in town. My only minor gripe is the length of the actual trip on the water. I feel the experience would be improved if they set off about 20 minutes earlier. Worth doing once for sure.

I'll second all above. Have done it quite a few times over the years, but not bored. Always go with visitors. All have appreciated the cruise. There is a competing dinner cruise, leaving (I believe) from further south on the river adjacent to the wat across from the French Consulate. I have taken a daytime cruise on their boats. Those daytime cruises are longer, going further up river, stopping at a touristy place to eat. Fun enough to do, but I wouldn't repeat. I don't know about their dinner cruises. Have passed the boats. They didn't look as nice as the Riverside cruises.

I'm not sure if I went on the same cruise, it was something about Yok Yor, a dinner cruise on the Chao Phraya river. It was great, a wonderful meal, good scenery, etc. It's pretty romantic, and no ripoffs or scams involved, which is always nice. I did it a couple of times, and noticed the experience is exactly identical. Nothing wrong with that, but it's not something I would do every week. Very good for a date.

The biggest problem that I saw was going to the buffet table wasn't organized.I almost got to the point of not eating.It could have easily have gotten into A brawl.So when ya go let the animals go first.

The biggest problem that I saw was going to the buffet table wasn't organized.I almost got to the point of not eating.It could have easily have gotten into A brawl.So when ya go let the animals go first.

There is no buffet table. You are talking about something other than the topic of this discussion.

• Like 1

If you go on the riverside cruise. Make sure you order enough drink to cover the trip. In their wisdom they carry absolutely nothing on board the boat. So whatever is on your table when you set off is all you are getting until you are back at the riverside.

Sent from my GT-I8190 using Tapatalk 2

I'm not sure if I went on the same cruise, it was something about Yok Yor, a dinner cruise on the Chao Phraya river. It was great, a wonderful meal, good scenery, etc. It's pretty romantic, and no ripoffs or scams involved, which is always nice. I did it a couple of times, and noticed the experience is exactly identical. Nothing wrong with that, but it's not something I would do every week. Very good for a date.

Is Chao Phraya the name of the river that runs through Chiang Mai?

Um, er, no! It's the Ping River but it does flow to the Chao Phraya several hundreds of kilo's later.

Um, er, no! It's the Ping River but it does flow to the Chao Phraya several hundreds of kilo's later.

It must be a long cruise then.

It must be a long cruise then.

It needs to be, dinner is eighty six courses.