Audio clip leaves Thai govt with a lot of explaining to do

webfact

ANALYSIS
Audio clip leaves govt with a lot of explaining to do

The Nation

30209984-01_big.jpg
Songklod Chuenchuphol, a former Army captain, holds up a Buddha idol while creating a scene at the Defence Ministry yesterday. He challenged Deputy Defence Minister General Yuthasak Sasiprapha to swear before the idol that he was not one of the men heard

BANGKOK: -- The mysterious audio clip that has been distributed over the Internet and covered by the media is likely to become a political bombshell for the government and the prime minister.

In the clip, two men discuss intervening in the appointment of top military brass. One sounds like a former prime minister and the other, older man, a Cabinet member involved with the military.

The older man, who said he was 76, referred to the younger man as "Mr prime minister" and "my boss". He updated the other man on the latest developments in the government and armed forces. He went to great depth on some topics. This controversial recording, which is about 30 minutes long, has sparked heated debate in society, particularly among users of social media.

Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra said yesterday that she had talked with Deputy Defence Minister Yuthasak Sasiprapha about the audio clip. She said she did not think this scandal would sour the ties between the government and the military.

She walked away when a reporter asked whether she thought the voice of the other man in the clip belonged to her brother, ex-premier Thaksin.

MPs from the ruling Pheu Thai Party and Thaksin's spokesman Noppadon Pattama insisted that the clip was doctored and released for political impact. Noppadon demanded opposition MPs verify the clip's authenticity before criticising it.

Yuthasak has denied being one of the men in the clip, and he refused to comment on the matter yesterday when approached by the media at the Defence Ministry.

Some sources in the ruling party said Yingluck, as the government head and new defence minister, was in danger of being damaged by this controversy.

Trust between the government and the armed forces, particularly top commanders, is likely to be badly eroded. And it will take some time to restore confidence. Earlier efforts by the prime minister to win the hearts of the commanders now appear to have been in vain.

This clip has added another problem to the headaches facing the government. And the government may need to do some explaining to people mentioned in the clip. Some red-shirt scholars may also want further clarifications to be convinced that the clip is fake.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-07-09

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know what the fake shock is all about. As if anyone didn't know that TS was interfering in the country's affairs.

The thing that really shocked me was this...."Some red-shirt scholars may also want further clarifications"

The red shirts have scholars..!!!!

I thought they were all rice farmers, thugs and Chinese-Thai criminals!! cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

• Like 1

Why would anyone expect this government to do " a lot of explaining", They will follow the course of action they have set by example for close to 2 years " no response and inaction" They have virtually ignored any request for explaination, information, accounting, etc from any government watch dog group that requested it

There have been a lot terms used to describe the responses of this government and her supporters, to the media, opposition, public, individuals etc, but basically they can all be sumed up in one word, " bullying.", with a fimilar phase thrown in, "do you know who I am"?

• Like 2

They will probably seek out and arrest whoever made the clip, much like they did when the judges were caught up to no good.

If there is a parallel, he will flee the country until there is a change in government, when the charges will be dropped/forgotten - SOP on one side of Thai politics.

I don't know what the fake shock is all about. As if anyone didn't know that TS was interfering in the country's affairs.

The thing that really shocked me was this...."Some red-shirt scholars may also want further clarifications"

Products of Thai higher education ?

Products of Thai higher education ?

One suspects the vast majority of them have only seen high school....from the outside...

• Like 1

Suppose the real question for me on this story relates to:

"He challenged Deputy Defence Minister General Yuthasak Sasiprapha to swear before the idol that he was not one of the men heard"

So did the Deputy Defense minister swear before the idol...?....given the reverence Thai's have for Buddha....if the esteemed General refused we can only conclude he is telling porkies when saying it wasnt him on the audio clip..if it genuinely not him he would have no problem doing this, and if he did swear before the idol saying it wasnt him and further along the line its proven it was him...big big face loss

of course they could also hand over the audio clip to CSI New york or the CIA and they will be able to tell you if its been modfied and who the voices are...LOL

Edited by Soutpeel
  • Like 1

Considering the response on the other topic : PM downplays 'Thaksin' audio clip it would seem they are no longer denying that it is real.

However it would seem that they have all been told not to talk about it, the theory being if they say nothing it can do no harm.

The wheels may not yet be falling off but there sure are a lot of loose nuts holding them on.

• Like 1

There's way too much personal detail in the clip for it to be fake, info about Yuttasak's brother and his partner in cards.

Thaksin wants to take over running the Crown Property Bureau, oh my god!

And the Burmese people might not be too happy with their generals giving Thaksin a piece of their land.

Damaging for sure.

My missus tells me a full transcript in Thai is in the public domain. Does Anyone have a summary of the salient points in English?

It should not come as a surprise that the forthcoming annual re-shuffle of the military leadership (traditionally announced in September) was a leading topic.