Derbi GPR125

mania

I had never heard of this bike till it popped up on one of my feeds

I guess it use to be a 2 stroke & is now a 4 stroke 4valve 125

Looks nicely put together for its size

http://www.derbi.com/uk/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=151&Itemid=279

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/bikereviews/searchresults/Bike-Reviews/Derbi/Derbi-GPR125-Racing-2010-current/

1016882_532589780146075_4255650_n.jpg

Edited by mania

So sad, anything people not know is from China now-a-day...

First Derbi is a Spanish brand, which is currently owned by one of the biggest European two-wheeler companies called Piaggio, which also owns companies like Aprillia, Vespa, Moto Guzzi, and many more…

Derbi is still and only manufactured in Spain… and sure like all manufacturers they probably use some parts imported from China… everybody does… but they’re not even close to being a Chinese manufacturer….

I wait for the day that somebody on this forum says that Vespa has copied a Honda, Suzuki or Yamaha design.... the knowledge on this forum is so amazing

Edited by Richard-BKK
  • Like 1

Derbi had a foothold in Thailand for a short time, this was around the time that the Thai government was zooming in on two-strokes, as Derbi saw its market shrinking it closed its Thai office. It still as parts service in Thailand by an independent distributor, for most motorcycles you can find in Southeast Asia.

For a few years automotive business annalists expecting Paiggio to introduce Aprilia on the Thai market as they build a super large motorcycle factory in Vietnam (one of the biggest and most modern factories in Asia) which currently only runs at around 60 to 65% of its capacity.

• Like 1

interesting, where's it from?

Spanish actually...Kind of interesting too

because like this wiki said they unlike Ossa & Bultaco survived

the change to Democracy in Spain

When I was young I rode both of those brands at one time or another

(Ossa & Bultaco)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derbi

I remember a neighbour back in NZ who had a Bultaco 370 trials bike.....geez the compression on that thing. If you didnt get the piston in the right position (Using the de-comp lever) when kicking it over, you would end up over the handle bars and on your back! Otherwise a very nice bike

• Like 1

Yes Bultaco was famous for trials but also some great MX bikes

The Pursang comes to mind

But they were at a time when the Big 4 was really starting to make a moves in the dirt with the Yamaha YZ & Honda Elsinore lines

Suzuki with their RM's & Kawasaki not as much with their Centurians I think they were called

Edited by mania

Yep I can remember attending or should I say spectating at numerous MX events many moons ago. The 2 strokes ruled back then as you say:

Suzuki RM, Yamaha YZ, Honda CR and I think Kawasaki had KX. Wasnt a great deal of other brands about in NZ (Did see a Maico once) but I`ll never forget the sound especially the RM once it was opened up.....like a heap of tin cans been hit together. And boy they could move once they hit their power band. Scary stuff, I never had the balls to try the big boys toys. I was somewhat younger then and a little YZ125 was more then enough for me.

To be honest I was glad when 4 stroke bikes came in....they were more forgiving if you had a heavy throttle hand!

(Did see a Maico once)

A Maico was the trickest bike I owned during that period.

It was a special Maico 250cc Radial head or sunburst as we called it

It was also one of the first bikes of that time to have the two rear shocks moved halfway up the swingarm

Modified by a shop called mike's Racing Center in California

Was a good bike & my hero of the day Ake Johnson rode one too smile.png

The pain was the Bing carb they came with. Much easier to tune a Mikuni

The other oddity was having the chain on the right & the kicker on the left smile.png

Looked a lot like this one

1976%20MAICO%20250.JPG

Edited by mania
  • Like 1