Consulates no longer issuing Non Imm O Visas?

I spoke with Los Angeles, CA, USA yesterday and he said that they could not issue them at this time that they must be issued in Thailand.

Thai VISAs are never issued in Thailand so something was lost in translation, but it's evident that all consulates have been stamped on :(

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ykats0 from a post you made in another topic I am aware that you were asking about a non-o for retirement which no embassy or official consulate in your home country will issue because they can do OA visas.

The lady that i spoke to at the Birmingham consulate earlier today, told me that the current

crackdown applies to all consulates world wide.

I emailed the Houston honorary consulate 5 hours ago, and just heard back that it was 'business as usual' for multi-entry Non Imm O visas.

However, MFA administration of honorary consulates -- from past observations -- has shown they are NOT centrally administered from within MFA. So, who knows.......

Any other takes from outside the UK?

I had forgotten I started this thread! I got a multiple non immigrant O visa from Hull on the 17th July. I recon you just follow the advice on the website.

Regarding consulates not issuing visas: it probably does not make economic sense having so many consulates, and there is more scope for bending of rules outside the jurisdiction of the Embassies, so I recon It's just a matter of time before you will need to get them from Embassies.

Regarding tightening up the criteria for getting visas: Thailand isn't cheap any more and the financial criteria for long term staying will get tougher. For those planning to retire in Thailand, betime you retire you may be outpriced, especially If health care is required !

I had forgotten I started this thread! I got a multiple non immigrant O visa from Hull on the 17th July. I recon you just follow the advice on the website.

Regarding consulates not issuing visas: it probably does not make economic sense having so many consulates, and there is more scope for bending of rules outside the jurisdiction of the Embassies, so I recon It's just a matter of time before you will need to get them from Embassies.

Regarding tightening up the criteria for getting visas: Thailand isn't cheap any more and the financial criteria for long term staying will get tougher. For those planning to retire in Thailand, betime you retire you may be outpriced, especially If health care is required !

Did you have to (or choose to) provide any financial proof MaiChai?

Not true at all.

You can still easily get an extension of stay from immigration if you can meet the financial requirements.

Multiple entry o-visas based upon marriage are still available in Savannakhet and Penang and many other locations around the world.

Even a report about getting one from Hull after the other 2 said they had to submit application to the embassy.

It appears that the embassy may of tightened the screws on a couple of honorary consulates that may of been caught issuing questionable visas and are requiring a review by them of all multiple entry visa applications not just those based upon marriage to a Thai.

Not true at all.

You can still easily get an extension of stay from immigration if you can meet the financial requirements.

The magic words.

Presumably, if you can meet all the requirements, financial and otherwise, you should have no reason to fear when applying for a multiple entry visa from the London embassy.

As for Penang, there is another thread on here somewhere where a member tried to get a multi based on marriage from Penang and was asked for proof of finances .

the way Hull used to hand out those non-imm O's for visiting "friends" it should be no surprise that they cracked down on consulates in that country. too bad the married people have to suffer for it. Of course we don't know yet if all this is true yet

Edited by Nana Cowboy

the way Hull used to hand out those non-imm O's for visiting "friends" it should be no surprise that they cracked down on consulates in that country. too bad the married people have to suffer for it. Of course we don't know yet if all this is true yet

Hull stopped the 'Visiting Friends' criteria last year.

I got my non o from Birmingham because my husband is over 50 on retirement extension, what options are there for me now and what do I have to show if go to London embassy. Previously his retirement stamp and our marriage certificate was enough?

I got my non o from Birmingham because my husband is over 50 on retirement extension, what options are there for me now and what do I have to show if go to London embassy. Previously his retirement stamp and our marriage certificate was enough?

I would contact Birmingham or Hull first, they might be able to issue a single entry non-O.

After waiting 4 days I received a new 1 year multi entry by post from Hull by courier today

No proof of savings was asked for nor supplied the consulate said the delay was as they needed approval from London.

This was my first time using Hull havin had no prior problems in Cardiff Perth and KL over the years.

I supplied all the data asked on the website basically

1 135 pounds a UK address

2 Copy of wedding certificate and wifes passport signed by her and a letter of inv itation which was not requested but added just in case.

I commend the good folks at Hull to you all.I plan to revert to the married visa when older but a jaunt out every 90 days is fun and only a one mile journey from the Mekhong Riviera

Good Luck everyone.I fear the days of cheap living are ebbing away esp for those on UK pensions .I am unsure how insurance can be enforced when no companies will deal with the aged/chronic.

After waiting 4 days I received a new 1 year multi entry by post from Hull by courier today

No proof of savings was asked for nor supplied the consulate said the delay was as they needed approval from London.

This was my first time using Hull havin had no prior problems in Cardiff Perth and KL over the years.

2 Copy of wedding certificate and wifes passport signed by her and a letter of inv itation which was not requested but added just in case.

I commend the good folks at Hull to you all.I plan to revert to the married visa when older but a jaunt out every 90 days is fun and only a one mile journey from the Mekhong Riviera

Good Luck everyone.I fear the days of cheap living are ebbing away esp for those on UK pensions .I am unsure how insurance can be enforced when no companies will deal with the aged/chronic.

Was the visa stamp issued from Hull or London?

Did you have to produce the original wedding certificate or just send in the copy?

Did you need to show any funds?

Sorry for the questions :)

Perhaps they should offer all citizens of native English speaking countries (who can provide a police clearance cert a 12 month visa) in order to help Thai's poor English level.

It is surely to Thailand's benefit to have as many English speakers, who are also spending money, here as possible.... isn't it? :rolleyes:

Did you have to produce the original wedding certificate or just send in the copy?

"No proof of savings were asked for nor supplied"

There's a difference between Royal Thai Consulates and Honorary Royal Thai Consulates.

It would be good if there was a clarification if the 'new' policy was only applicable to the latter.

I would hazard that they are on a cost-cutting measure with a bonus. Maybe having loads of people around the world approving paperwork and stamping or placing stickers in passports is more expensive than issuing those with a genuine need to be more 'resident' a single entry visa overseas and file extensions/do reporting/get re-entry permits once in-country. Let's face it, getting a visa overseas is easy with no checks at all on your bona fides and mostly done by people with a tenuous connection with the MFA. However, once in the country and face to face with Immigration (who actually enforce the MFA rules), it's easier to sort the wheat from the chav.

Sorry for the questions smile.png

No problem I thought it was plain I was dealing with Hull for the first time

1 A copy of wedding certificate from Amphoe office in Thai

2 No funds evidence requested,I suggest you read their website or call them

If you have pre paid Skype just click link if applying in person at this consulate please book an appointment by telephone ( 01482 581668) or by email ([email protected]).

You will pay 125 pounds for a multi O plus a tenner for personal or postal service the only benefit in applying in person would be if big rush you would not wait a day for the express delivery.

Good luck

Edited by RubbaJohnny

The rules are immigration - not MFA (they are only agents for visa issue).

Interesting. That's one way of looking at it.

However, since visa applications made overseas always reference requirements stated by the MFA and not Immigration Police, I reckon the 'queso grande' is the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and they are the ones that tell Embassy's, Consulates and Honorary Consulates what the latest policy is, not the Immigration Police.

Now once you arrive here, it is the Immigration Police that process your visa and any subsequent extensions, re-entry and changes as the 'enforcers' of the MFA edicts. Granted, the policy changes are all issued in terms of 'Police Orders' but I think that it's the wonks at the MFA that issue the rule changes and the Immigration police are the desk clerks in that regard. However, they do enforce the Immigration Laws and are the ones that chase down the boilermen, overstayers and criminals, prosecute them and/or deport them.

Just my reasoning based on the UK where the FCO makes policy and UKBA enforces it.

Maybe totally wrong since TiT after all. Just seems hard to accept that the likes of the regional visa 'squeeze' is the Immigration Police's idea. I can't see the police telling a state organ what they want; not these police anyway.

• Like 1

I spoke with Los Angeles, CA, USA yesterday and he said that they could not issue them at this time that they must be issued in Thailand.

Thai VISAs are never issued in Thailand so something was lost in translation, but it's evident that all consulates have been stamped on sad.png

Anyone have any idea of the reason for this extreme alteration,of an otherwise good service.?

Thai VISAs are never issued in Thailand so something was lost in translation, but it's evident that all consulates have been stamped on sad.png

Anyone have any idea of the reason for this extreme alteration,of an otherwise good service.?

My take is that the Immigration Police, through having no part of the INITIAL visa issuing are forever playing catchup with the xx% of disingenuous visa abusers accumulating in LOS. Long-term, multi-entry visas are more open to abuse as there's less checking done, particularly by the Honorary Consulates. Regional Embassy's and Consulates recently stopped issuing multi's unilaterally and are instead issuing single-entry and advising the applicant to pursue extensions with the Immigration Police once inside Thailand. This allows the Immigration Police to physically see and process a lot more foreigners than before and make better decisions on who is 'legit' and who is pulling a fast one.

This allows the Immigration Police to physically see and process a lot more foreigners than before and make better decisions on who is 'legit' and who is pulling a fast one.

Problem is not long ago if you had 65,000 + baht coming in every month the extensions was easy, the present day exchange rate make this only 45,000 baht or today is 47,000, so is short [not found any 20,000 baht a month money trees] so for the year or 2 until getting a pension the yearly '0' made life easier than all the TR Visa's and hope to get them back to back.

From what I have seen and people I have spoken to many are in the same situation, waiting for there pension, the low exchange rate + a year or so to Pension day. not everyone has a Thai Wife or wants one.

But with retirement you can use bank deposit to make up any shortfall in the income amount (unlike Thai wife) so most would only have to have a reasonable cash reserve in bank to still qualify (medical emergency can be added attraction to saving this money, as well as allowing for exchange rate fluctuation). Understand not all can do this; but it will help many.

• Like 2

Birmingham consulate received my non imigrant o application on the 15th july, then contacted me the next day saying that they can no longer process these. This seems to have been inforced by the Thai embassy london as from the 14th july. The consulate had no further information to give me.

My application has been forwarded to the Thai embassy in london. It would appear that this could take a lot longer than the 48hr postal servive that the consulate were giving. Apply with plenty of time before your flight departure. I am still waiting with no news of my visa being issued.

My non im o visa has now been issued by the Royal thai embassy, the documents i enclosed was my thai marriage certificate, and a copy of my wifes id card. The visa is now a sticker type, unlike the stamped type issued by consulates. The whole process took 13days.

My non im o visa has now been issued by the Royal thai embassy, the documents i enclosed was my thai marriage certificate, and a copy of my wifes id card. The visa is now a sticker type, unlike the stamped type issued by consulates. The whole process took 13days.

Congratulations did you use Hull mine was under a week inc reference to London for approval

That is about the normal time to get a visa from the embassy.