where can I get baby/kid seat on motorbike

susanschwaiger

Hall to all Mr. know everything biggrin.png ,

My baby is 9 months old, and my scooter is Yamaha. Where can I buy and install a baby/kid seat on motorbike ? Someone told me to try the shop called PUN YON near Pattaya Klang. And another shop opposite Friendship supermarket.

Does anyone have experience ? Normally how much is the price ? Thanks a lot in advance !

PS: Driving car in downtown is same like having a constipation , ho ho ho ... Scooter is much easier smile.png))))

I've seen them in most of the bike repair shops I've been to on Pattaya Sai Saam. They were pretty rudimentary though - I'd assume you'd want one with restraints etc for a kid that age? I haven't seen a more advanced style other than the simple little plastic seat on legs that bolts to the deck and the front fairing/plastic.

• Like 1

Hall to all Mr. know everything Posted Image ,

My baby is 9 months old, and my scooter is Yamaha. Where can I buy and install a baby/kid seat on motorbike ? Someone told me to try the shop called PUN YON near Pattaya Klang. And another shop opposite Friendship supermarket.

Does anyone have experience ? Normally how much is the price ? Thanks a lot in advance !

PS: Driving car in downtown is same like having a constipation , ho ho ho ... Scooter is much easier Posted Image))))

I hope this is a joke.

I have a policy of virtually never opening on other people's parenting - but you've made it very difficult to resist commenting.

• Like 2

This must be a wind-up. You can't seriously be thinking of taking a baby somewhere on a motorbike, instead of in a car !!!!!!!! GOOD GRIEF !!!

no wind up, believe it or not there are people who carry infants on bikes, and there have been fatalities of infants in minor accidents, too many times.

How can it be legal? where can you get a crash helmet for a infant???

Ok ok ok, I know you all have good intention, but it's really not necessary to involve such a harsh tone !

If you search in google, you will find some seat photos. I'm not looking for a crap one, that's why I'm asking here.

.....adults differ greatly even of same age (some 40 look like 70, vice versa), so do babies (some can already walk stably of 10 months, some still have no teeth of 12 months.). We are a sporty family. I rode motorbike alone to BPH for delivery on that day ! If you are strong and alert, you have more control and confidence. So long as the safety methods are done, no need to have panic. How many people still get killed every year, even with the proper car seat and belt on?! Once you're on road, your safety is a bilateral thing. What can you do if a drunken fool is driving a heavy truck towards you ?!?!

I'm not riding motorbike like in Grand Prix, and I ride mostly in sois for shopping and sightseeing, and mostly in the early morning (when most of the *@(#&$(*#&$(*@#$& have just fallen asleep :)))))))

I post here for info and advice, not for unreasonable accuse . Be fair!

• Like 2

.....adults differ greatly even of same age (some 40 look like 70, vice versa), so do babies (some can already walk stably of 10 months, some still have no teeth of 12 months.). We are a sporty family. I rode motorbike alone to BPH for delivery on that day ! If you are strong and alert, you have more control and confidence. So long as the safety methods are done, no need to have panic. How many people still get killed every year, even with the proper car seat and belt on?! Once you're on road, your safety is a bilateral thing. What can you do if a drunken fool is driving a heavy truck towards you ?!?!

I'm not riding motorbike like in Grand Prix, and I ride mostly in sois for shopping and sightseeing, and mostly in the early morning (when most of the *@(#&$(*#&$(*@#$& have just fallen asleep :)))))))

Where to begin...

Yes, babies developmental levels vary and one 9 month old can differ from another. I'm not aware of ANY 9 month old who would be developed to such a different extent that it would affect the degree to which that child could withstand an accident - so what possible difference does the difference you speak of make?

A sporty family? Whatever that means, I can't imagine how it would increase your 9 month old infant's safety - no matter how "sporty" you may think he/she is.

You rode alone on delivery day? Sounds like another example of questionable regard for safety of your child but in any case, it has ZERO relevance to the child's safety now.

Control and confidence? Hmmm...does that mean you can not get in an accident? Do you realize that the vast majority of people injured or killed on motorcycles had (perceived) control and confidence?

Panic? Who is panicking? What does that have to do with anything?

You negate your whole argument above with the acknowledgement that no matter how you drive, an accident can occur. But you offer that as a reason why taking a baby on a motorcycle is OK - that's remarkably unthinking. Take a moment to consider: if you and your baby are in a car and the baby is secured in a seat and your car is struck by another at say 30kph - what will happen to you and your baby? Now imagine you are on a motorcycle...

Your first post struck me as someone who was sacrificing safety for convenience but without much thought. Now you actually try to defend your choice and the argument reveals how incredibly foolish you are about it.

By the way, I rode motorcycles very seriously (even competitively, as an amateur racer) for 30 years. I am not anti-motorcycle. But anyone who thinks they aren't taking a degree of risk virtually every time they go out on the road, simply hasn't got a clue. Someone taking that risk for themselves - as I did tens of thousands of times - has every right to. Someone deliberately exposing a baby to that risk...

Well, I will leave that unsaid.

• Like 2

It is not unreasonable to point out it is stupid to carry a 9 month baby on a scooter – anywhere not just Thailand.

It is you who are acting irresponsible as although you may be the world’s best and safest rider it is the unexpected idiots on the road that can cause trouble and in town ………………. doubly so.

Re-think !

• Like 2

Ok ok ok, I know you all have good intention, but it's really not necessary to involve such a harsh tone !

If you search in google, you will find some seat photos. I'm not looking for a crap one, that's why I'm asking here.

Be fair to your child.....

If someone's only form of transport is a bike, i.e. if they cant afford a car and a bike is the only form of transport then they could be commended for trying to be as safe as possible, however, by trying to take shortcuts you are risking your child's life all to save a little time....

You can't fall off a car !... It's really that simple.

Regarding safety: There is no comparison between a child on a bike and a child in a car seat secured in a car.

Forget the 'truck' analogy and worry more about slipping on an oily or sandy road, or the car who pulls out in front of you forcing you to break too hard....

Is the time you will save really worth the risk ?

• Like 1

Op - I applaud your confidence in yourself, and I applaud your willingness to ignore the political correctness that pervades our western society today.

Good on you for taking an extremely mature attitude and concluding that you, as an informed adult, are quite able to make such a simple decision as conveying your child around on a motorbike.

You get a big thumbs up from me. The PC world has gone to hell in a handcart. Hell I can recall at the age of 3 or 4 sitting behind my Mum on a bicycle seat racing down a big hill at breakneck speed, it's one of the few childhood memories I have - maybe that's why I love speed and motorbikes.

You go for it girl, and ^%$#%^ *&^ to the PC brigade!! thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

The line between Political Correctness and Common sense is not a fine one. I don't know how you have managed to blur the two.

The op has a car, taking his Baby on a bike has little to do with breaking PC and everything to do with lacking in common sense....

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 2

OP - you should try getting something like the picture below. It may need modifying but will be a good start. Or in the alternative, I'd recommend that you buy a child's car seat and get a secure/rigid frame made that bolts to your bike. It shouldn't be too expensive to get made by a local engineer/fabricator - just cruise down Thepprasit and you'll find someone.

With a helmet, your kid will be in a cocoon type setup that will be as safe as you can make it. You could probably get it made so that the seat can be released from the frame and transferred to your car, or for taking the kid into a shop etc. Don't forget the helmet.

post-124914-0-32347400-1374573272_thumb.

• Like 1

It has eff all to do with being PC.

That term has become a simplistic unthinking rebuttal for so many arguments that are in fact based on ethics or genuine beliefs and while I've seen it used in the service of rejecting all sorts of things, this is frankly one of the dumbest examples I've seen.

Decry the increased concern for safety of society today compared to generations past and argue that it's gone too far - I think there are some valid points to be made there. But to ascribe - with no cause at all - the genuine objections people might have to someone unnecessarily endangering their child to them being "PC"...that's just lame.

I don't understand the problem. The OP is asking for a safe and sound child-cheat for his motorbike and suddenly lots of people are going to tell the OP what he already knows. It's his child and his reponsibility.

Anyway....there is a huge baby-store (they don't sell babies, but more the equipment used for/by babies) just past the junction Sukhumvit - Chayaphruk II on the right side driving/riding Southwards.

It doesn't exist. No matter how safe a seat is, the bike it is attached to is not safe.

• Like 1

Op - I applaud your confidence in yourself, and I applaud your willingness to ignore the political correctness that pervades our western society today.

Good on you for taking an extremely mature attitude and concluding that you, as an informed adult, are quite able to make such a simple decision as conveying your child around on a motorbike.

You get a big thumbs up from me. The PC world has gone to hell in a handcart. Hell I can recall at the age of 3 or 4 sitting behind my Mum on a bicycle seat racing down a big hill at breakneck speed, it's one of the few childhood memories I have - maybe that's why I love speed and motorbikes.

You go for it girl, and ^%$#%^ *&^ to the PC brigade!! thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

The line between Political Correctnessbis not a fine now. I don't know how you have managed to blur the two.

The op has a car, taking his Baby on a bike has little to do with breaking PC and everything to do with lacking in common sense....

One individual's common sense is political correctness to another individual - that's why the west is so screwed up. The vocal PC Correct minority overrules the common sense of the silent majority.

The OP asked for advice on where to obtain a safe seat for HER to transport HER child on a motorcycle. It's called self responsibility, and we should have more of that in the world, not less. We've been sold down the road by our western governments who have convinced us that we need to be wrapped in cotton wool and "they" should make all the decisions for us through legislation.The nanny state.

The OP is rebelling against conformity and I say good for her. Not just for being non-conformist, but because she's actually considered the options and concluded she has made a good decision. Unlike many posters who haven't probably considered the alternatives.

How many Thais do you see using a pushchair? Next to none. I've seen many Russians pushing them around and they have a nightmare. Seen one nearly get wiped out as they sprinted across the road as there are no pedestrian lights here.

Quite frankly I believe it's safer for her to ride a scooter around Pattaya or Jomtiem than push a pushchair around the streets with poor paving (if any), blockages crossing the footpath etc. Safer to ride a motorbike - assuming of course that you aren't geriatric, half blind, never ridden a motorbike before, and think that 50klm/h is too fast, or 70klm/h isn't fast enough. And I don't think the OP fits that category, but many Falang do.

How does a motorcycle differ from a pushbike in regards to safety around here. How does (gulp) crossing the road compare to riding a motorbike? Have you seen the fear in the eyes of pedestrians? Can you imagine trying to get a pushchair across a busy intersection, because yeah, all the cars and bikes will stop for you I'm sure. And the Farang drivers/riders will be worse than the Thais, because Thais are more prepared to yield than the " I have the right of way, this is my territory, silly bitch for crossing the road with a pushchair" Farang attitude.

And as I transport my 4 year old around on my scooter (SHAME on me!!!), I can tell you that Thai motorists and motorcyclists will almost invariably yield to other motorcyclists carrying kids. I can also tell you that most Falang don't yield. I get a bow of the head from so many Thais as they let me through, which I acknowledge. And I do the same for them when they're carrying kids.

The OP, in deciding to get a high quality and safe seat is showing more common sense than you or many other posters are prepared to acknowledge, because of our propensity to accept the western conformist norm that "a child is unsafe on a motorbike".

And that's a good idea about imposing a fine for being too PC - I'll suggest it to my MP back home. whistling.gif

Edited by Gsxrnz
  • Like 2

The OP, in deciding to get a high quality and safe seat is showing more common sense than you or many other posters are prepared to acknowledge, because of our propensity to accept the western conformist norm that "a child is unsafe on a motorbike".

Erm.... The Op is showing more common sense because he wishes to use a child seat on a bike rather than use his car with a child seat just to save a little time ?

I'm not sure our interpretation of 'common sense' is the same...

This discussion has little to do with comforting to Western Standards, it has everything to do with minimising the risk to a child and while the Op is taking steps to minimise this risk while riding a bike, he has a car and only chooses to ride the bike to save time, how he may regret this decision IF events took a tragic turn, which is far more likely in a bike.

The pushchair argument is moot: I agree that pushing a pushchair around the streets is not a great idea in Thailand, however, this can only be compared to carrying a child - making the comparison to pushing a child in a pushchair and taking them on a bike doesn't add up (to me at least) as the speeds involved are significantly different.