where can I get baby/kid seat on motorbike

susanschwaiger

The OP, in deciding to get a high quality and safe seat is showing more common sense than you or many other posters are prepared to acknowledge, because of our propensity to accept the western conformist norm that "a child is unsafe on a motorbike".

Erm.... The Op is showing more common sense because he wishes to use a child seat on a bike rather than use his car with a child seat just to save a little time ?

I'm not sure our interpretation of 'common sense' is the same...

This discussion has little to do with comforting to Western Standards, it has everything to do with minimising the risk to a child and while the Op is taking steps to minimise this risk while riding a bike, he has a car and only chooses to ride the bike to save time, how he may regret this decision IF events took a tragic turn, which is far more likely in a bike.

The pushchair argument is moot: I agree that pushing a pushchair around the streets is not a great idea in Thailand, however, this can only be compared to carrying a child - making the comparison to pushing a child in a pushchair and taking them on a bike doesn't add up (to me at least) as the speeds involved are significantly different.

Erm...can you please point out in my original post where I mentioned "saving time"?

The arguments raised by opponents to the OP's intent has everything to do with conforming to western standards. It's the norm in the west NOT to transport a child on a motorcycle. In Thailand it IS the norm to do just that. All she wanted was some advice on how/where to obtain a safe seat, but instead has faced a barrage of criticism for her intentions, as have I for daring to support her non-conformist intentions.

Re the pushchair - when you've tried using a pushchair in Pattaya/Jomtien, come back and give us the benefit of your experience. I have used a pushchair, so am perhaps a little better informed to offer an opinion - your choice to agree or disagree.

And you're correct, our interpretation of common sense are obviously not the same, but that's life hey? thumbsup.gif

• Like 2

Op, you can get a fairly good seat from the bike shop on the corner of Soi Khopai and S Pattaya Rd, they also sell infant helmets. I have a 2 year old and take her out on the scooter with me on short trips around our area, she loves it.

• Like 1

Thanks to the advice!!! I've bee using a good baby carrier bag. Only the baby is too heavy now on my shoulders so a seat would be better. A sling is a cool idea for restraint . I like "Do It Yourself" style.

Hmm, to some other posts. Alas!
Yes, we have a nice car and a nice apt (bought) on 43rd floor on Wong Amat beach, one side facing koh Larn and the other side facing whole pattaya city . Some like to mock others so they feel superior. I hate to mention money, property etc (how silly and shallow), but to some people, these are the standards they judge others with!!!
Universal values are the same everywhere, such as kindness, honesty, uprightness etc. But "common sense" is a rather relative concept. Countries differ in climate, economy,history and culture etc, so do the "common sense". In my country, it is a "common sense" to drink warm to keep healthy;but in west, people like to drink iced. I won't make a fuss and say the westerners are "committing suicide" everyday by damaging their stomach. And I won't say the welfare system in EU is spoiling the lazy ones and hurting the diligent ones.
Although I hold high respect to the good west norms, I also disagree with some of them. Look at the various problems appeared in west in recent years. Some of the west regulations seem too "stiff" to me. They tend to "generalize", instead of being more detailed upon different circumstances.
My brother in law also used baby/kid seat for m/c in Pattaya for 2 years. And so do other westerners as I have seen on road. Nothing is 100% safe. Once born to this world, we have to face various dangers every day. Life is not easy. People still take flights in US after 911 right?
Pattaya is already very polluted with tons of cars (sad for environment). I'm not car-addicted. Doodling around with m/c is a good way to experience local life and my baby likes it very much. And yes, most of the Thais people are so friendly to kids. I know my limit when riding m/c.
English is not my mother tongue. I apologize for my inappropriate wording sometimes. Wish I could have more time to read and write.. I've no intentions to inflict my personal opinions on anyone!
  • Like 2

OP: Although your skills in handling a motorbike is important, its also about the level of risk you are exposing to your child being injured if some idiot pulls out in front of you from a side road etc etc. On a regular basis I have also seen foreigners demonstrating their Thainess in a similar manner when driving a motorbike/car.

As already said much safer for your child to be in a car with a baby carrier; think again!

• Like 2

OP seems smart but stubborn who doesn't like to shut up an just accept the truth.

Sad for her, I have already seen a dead baby on the road and it looks bad.

OP is right, we are always exposed to risk without even doing something dangerous, but why add more risk to a baby life ? It is just plain stupid whatever the OP thinks.

• Like 1

OP seems smart but stubborn who doesn't like to shut up an just accept the truth.

Sad for her, I have already seen a dead baby on the road and it looks bad.

OP is right, we are always exposed to risk without even doing something dangerous, but why add more risk to a baby life ? It is just plain stupid whatever the OP thinks.

But she has a nice car and a nice apt (bought) on 43rd floor on Wong Amat beach, one side facing koh Larn and the other side facing whole pattaya city! She doesn't make a fuss and say the westerners are "committing suicide" everyday by damaging their stomach with cold drinks! she doesn't point out social consequences of the welfare system in EU. This danger you speak of is too generalized. Besides her brother in law did it. And 9/11 didn't put an end to air travel.

And it's a good way to experience local life.

• Like 1

So is anyone going to help her find where to buy this seat for her bike rather than just bitching about the rights or wrongs of what she is doing? She didn't ask for opinions she asked for locations. What is wrong with the people on this forum who just have to try foist their perceptions of right and wrong on every one else.

• Like 2

So is anyone going to help her find where to buy this seat for her bike rather than just bitching about the rights or wrongs of what she is doing? She didn't ask for opinions she asked for locations. What is wrong with the people on this forum who just have to try foist their perceptions of right and wrong on every one else.

A few people have given her help. Did you not read those posts or did you jus read the ones that you don't like?

This is a public forum and problem have every right to express an opinion. She had the right to respond (or not) to those opinions and defend hers, and she did. People further responded to her erstwhile defense.

Personally, I think this is an ethical issue. As such, I feel people are not unreasonable to express a position on it - and the simple fact is, if you post on a forum, you can't control what response you get...

• Like 1

A few people have given her help. Did you not read those posts or did you jus read the ones that you don't like?

This is a public forum and problem have every right to express an opinion. She had the right to respond (or not) to those opinions and defend hers, and she did. People further responded to her erstwhile defense.

Personally, I think this is an ethical issue. As such, I feel people are not unreasonable to express a position on it - and the simple fact is, if you post on a forum, you can't control what response you get...

By asking the question on a public forum the Op has or should welcome all responses.

All responses should be welcomed, agreed with or disagreed with by us (the forum contributors). People will evaluate what has been written and agree or disagree wholly or partially with the comments.

Sometimes I suspect I may be little over protective and when I read threads like this I'm often a little jealous of other peoples attitudes and their ability to relax regarding some issues. I cannot agree with the Op, I worry to much for the safety of a child, but this is the Ops choice regardless of how vehemently I disagree.

I like these threads because it helps me understand without passing too much judgement on those who's thoughts and beliefs contrast with my own.

My Wife is currently reading a similar topic on Panthip forum whereby a lady has asked how she can best take her newborn child home from hospital: One of the posters suggestions was to use the seatbelt to go round her and her newborn, this was met with many comments regarding the additional risks, this is just one example of how web forums help more than just the Op.

So, while the discussion has at some points danced around Western Ideals and our own interpretations of Common Sense the real topic at hand beyond where to get the bike-child-seat is whether or not any additional risk of having a child on a bike is worth it, especially if there are significantly safer alternatives at hand.

Good luck to the Op: I disagree with her actions and reasons, but its her choice and I have no doubt that some reading this thread will make their own opinions, whether we agree or not makes for good topical discussion, some will learn and many may be helped.

I for one believe that if my comments and those who agree that the risks of taking an infant on a bike are too great have deterred just one person from doing so we may well have inadvertently prevented a tragedy through the simple means of caring and spending the time to offer our opinion.

• Like 1

broken neck

http://www.pattayadailynews.com/en/2010/01/09/two-year-old-boy-dies-in-tragic-motorbike-accident/

a nine month old baby, is always in great danger of getting the neck broken.

Reasons are:

- compared to an adult, the head is extremly heavy in comparison to the total body weight.

second: the muscles at this age are still totally underdeveloped

(and the nerve system is not able to react quickly -- activate the muscles ...)

result: with an acceleration (negative one, if an accident happens) which would be totally harmless for an adult, the neck of the baby would break very (!) easily. I think, just fallen to the ground would be enough.

That is the reason, why, when carrying a baby, you have always to held (support) the head with one hand (the other one for the rest of the body ). Just to shake the baby (often happen if parents get angry) can lead to a broken neck.

http://babyfeetcasting.co.uk/baby-news-2/jury-convicts-mom-after-baby-dies-with-broken-neck/

http://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/article/Jury-convicts-mom-after-baby-dies-with-broken-neck-3757434.php

a helmet is no improvement, cause it ads more weight to the head of the baby and so the probability of a broken neck would be even bigger (more likely).

these a just the facts of physics and anatomy ..

If you would kill your baby this way (using a motorbike) in my country, you would have to face a severe sentence - maybe recognised as manslaughter ...

Now you do know the facts. You can not say anymore, that you didnt know !

Good luck to you!

Recognizing the physiological factors that might cause a broken neck? Like recognizing that an accident can happen and that the danger to the child if one occurred would be FAR greater on a motorcycle than in a car seat, that must be a "western conformist norm".

• Like 1

If the post by dieter1 is not enough to convince a person from not taking a young child on a bike, then that person is hopeless. Most of us just consider the normal dangers of a bike in Thailand, but his post brings up a point, that is never mentioned.

There are a lot of Thai families that dont have cars, so the bike is the only option, but for most of us farangs, we do have an option. I guess a bike with a child seat is a good second option, but is second best, what you want for your child?

@Susan just keep riding with your baby and I am sure you do it very carefully so you should be fine. I done some 100K km on scooters here in Pattaya and I never had an accident but admittedly some very close calls so be careful out there.

....My highest speed is 40KM.... most of the time 20 to 30... a bit faster than a snail w00t.gif