Proof of income for marriage visa

I'm wondering if the U.S. embassy would give me a proof of income certificate with my type of work. I'm currently in Thailand as a tourist. In the states I work as an independent contractor (online) for a few different companies. Income is sporadic... there's no set amount I make per month. If I can show the embassy that I've had the required income for 3 months in a row, will they give me the proof of income certificate needed for a marriage visa? After that I'll need to show proof of income again after 1 year, correct?

Edited by gray42

You do not have to show the Embassy anything.

You just have to swear on oath your income.

Yes you have to do it every year.

Wow, that's good news. It sounds so unlike Thailand to go off of just your word... smile.png

Some immigration offices require that you provide proof in addition to the letter from your Embassy no matter what country you are from.

Gray42,

You need to have the required income EVERY month, or combo with a lump sum to make up the total.

If you don't, then no, the straight monthly income route is not for you.

To prepare, sign and present a document you know to be false, and look the US Embassy Officer in the eye and say it is true, is illegal. I could go on about cascading impacts, but won't.

Choose wisely.

Gray42,

You need to have the required income EVERY month, or combo with a lump sum to make up the total.

To prepare, sign and present a document you know to be false, and look the US Embassy Officer in the eye and say it is true, is illegal. I could go on about cascading impacts, but won't.

Choose wisely.

You don't need to have income every month, you just need to have an average income of 40,000 baht per month so at least 480,000 baht income for the whole year.

And there is no combo option for extensions based on marriage to a Thai citizen.

Sophon

Gray42,

Choose wisely.

"Choose wisely"? Where did you get the idea that I don't make enough money and plan on lying to the embassy officer? I never said anything like that.

Gray42,

Choose wisely.

"Choose wisely"? Where did you get the idea that I don't make enough money and plan on lying to the embassy officer? I never said anything like that.

You're right, my apologies, and Sophon also correct.

Good luck to you.

• Like 1

Today, I was told that my 6 day old bank statement to support my yearly O visa renewal was too old.

The Phibun Immigration office said the new requirement is now 3 days from issue to turning in. Has anybody

else been told this or are they messing with me?

The exact wording on the US Embassy / Consulate Income affidavit form is:

I also affirm that I receive USD $ xxx every month from the United States Government and/or other sources.

The interpretation regarding 'on average' is up-to-you.

Edited by JLCrab
  • Like 1

Today, I was told that my 6 day old bank statement to support my yearly O visa renewal was too old.

The Phibun Immigration office said the new requirement is now 3 days from issue to turning in. Has anybody

else been told this or are they messing with me?

I thought what everyone was saying in this topic was that you don't need to show proof of your income, that you just have to swear to the officer that you make the required amount of money? I guess I'm missing something. Or are you saying that at the US Embassy I only have to swear that I make enough money and they will give me the proof of income form, but at the Thai office I need to show my bank statements? What would the bank statement need to show?

gray42

I understand your confusion.

For those seeking an extension based on income Thai immigration require an Embassy generated letter which substantiates the claimed income.

Many Embassies require proof of income before they will issue a letter.

Others will allow an "attestation" of income with no proof of income as the basis for a letter!

The Thai immigration officers have the right to request "proof" of income from anyone !

Hope this goes some way toward helping your understanding.

• Like 1

You are missing something - the bank letter is for bank account deposit - not for income. For retirement 800k in bank can meet requirements without income or combined with income 800k per year. For that account passbook/statements are required along with letter of account balance immediately prior to extension application.

• Like 1