letter of verification (for retirement visa)

- A letter of verification issued from the country of his or her nationality or residence stating that the applicant has no criminal record (verification shall be valid for not more than three months and should be notarised by notary organs or the applicant’s diplomatic or consular mission).

I live in Bangkok. How would an American go about getting this letter of verification, without having to fly back to the States to do it?

You only need this when applying for an O-A visa in your home country.

As you are in Bangkok, you can apply for an annual extension based on retirement in Thailand and for those you do NOT need to show a police report.

You also do not need any kind of medical report, which is required for O-A visa applications in your home country.

Also be clear you don't EVER actually need an O-A visa (often called retirement visa) to retire in Thailand indefinitely

Edited by Jingthing

That's for an O-A visa, which is only issued in your home country:

http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/services/123/15385-Non-Immigrant-Visa-%22O-A%22-(Long-Stay).html

What you're probably thinking of/looking for is an EXTENSION of your Non-O visa for purposes of Retirement. No police verification required, and the extension is done at your local Thai Immigration office here.

Mac

I do agree with the previous responses that neither the police report nor the medical report are required when applying for a 1 year extension based on retirement when applying within Thailand, and it is great that ThaiVisa is here to veryify. However, doesn't it seem logical that the Thai government would post more clearly on their website the exact requirements for all interested.

Edited by KED

However, doesn't it seem logical that the Thai government would post more clearly on their website the exact requirements for all interested.

Silly notion... There is nothing logical about the Thai government. tongue.png

But seriously, the rules for O-A retirement visas are pretty clearly listed on the various Thai consulate web sites, at least those in the U.S., including the requirement about police record clearance.

But what's not well explained anywhere in any government info I've ever read are the differences and choices available between an O-A retirement visa and an extension of stay based on retirement.

Perhaps because all the consulates are part of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, which runs the visas realm. But Thai Immigration, which runs the extensions of stay realm, is part of an entirely different ministry and little of their info in English seems to make it into the consulates' websites.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

If for some reason you do need a criminal background check from the US for any other reason, ie. employment, you can get an FBI check done via post. You have to get fingerprinted and send them to the FBI along with $18. There's a website that explains the requirements and the address: http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/criminal-history-summary-checks. I did it years ago for a teaching job, but never used it, the requirement went away. It took about 1 month including postage each way. Had fingerprints done at local police station after printing out form that I found via google.

You only need this when applying for an O-A visa in your home country.

As you are in Bangkok, you can apply for an annual extension based on retirement in Thailand and for those you do NOT need to show a police report.

You also do not need any kind of medical report, which is required for O-A visa applications in your home country.

Also be clear you don't EVER actually need an O-A visa (often called retirement visa) to retire in Thailand indefinitely

Exactly correct. I have used the process abroad and later just an extension here.

However, for many years, I was asked to get a medical certificate for the extension - last time 3 years ago, when one Immigration officer told me to go get a certificate and upon returning the next officer said it was not required. (T.I.T.)

If for some reason you do need a criminal background check from the US for any other reason, ie. employment, you can get an FBI check done via post. You have to get fingerprinted and send them to the FBI along with $18. There's a website that explains the requirements and the address: http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/criminal-history-summary-checks. I did it years ago for a teaching job, but never used it, the requirement went away. It took about 1 month including postage each way. Had fingerprints done at local police station after printing out form that I found via google.

Yea, that's what I did about a half dozen years ago when getting my O-A Visa shortly before moving to Thailand. I got the fingerprints taken free at my nearby military base, I think the FBI check was only $12 back then, and approx. 3 weeks later I got the FBI clearance returned which was nothing more than an FBI stamp on the finger print card sent in saying the FBI didn't show any criminal record on me. I actually did this twice....about 18 months out from moving to Thailand just to give it a test run and see if the FBI had anything on me...like some messed up records because I'm a good boy....and then I did it just a few months before actually submitting my paperwork to the Thai Honorary Consulate which could still issue O-A visas at that time...each time it took less than a month to get the FBI clearance back. But when I had visited the Honorary Consulate way in advance of applying to get some info about applying for an O-A Visa, they said they would be happy with a report from the local police office...they even gave me the police office phone number/location to go get the report.

But as already mentioned by others a police report is not required for your annual retirement extension of stay.

• 2 weeks later...

My situation is, I got my Ed Visa last October when I was 49. But now I'm 50, and have been in Thailand for 1 year. So now I can get a retirement visa, without having to have the police clearance or medical report?

Annual retirement extensions done IN Thailand? No police or medical form.

O-A visa from your home country? Police and medical form needed.

O-A visa NOT required to retire in Thailand; it's only an OPTION.

My situation is, I got my Ed Visa last October when I was 49.  But now I'm 50, and have been in Thailand for 1 year.  So now I can get a retirement visa, without having to have the police clearance or medical report?  

You don't need a visa. Just go to immigration with financial proof and letter from school stating you are finished with them on that date and apply for an extension based upon retirement.

No medical or police report needed.

• 3 weeks later...

My situation is, I got my Ed Visa last October when I was 49. But now I'm 50, and have been in Thailand for 1 year. So now I can get a retirement visa, without having to have the police clearance or medical report?

You don't need a visa. Just go to immigration with financial proof and letter from school stating you are finished with them on that date and apply for an extension based upon retirement.

No medical or police report needed.

Thank you for all the info.

Is there a time period where the financial proof is valid for? For example, if I get the bank documents one month in advance, will immigration accept that?

Also, is there only one immigration office in Bangkok that I would go to for this? Where is that?

The bank documents need to be no older that a few days.

In some instances on the day of application.

Apply at Chaeng Wattana.

Thank you again.

So what I need to bring to Chaeng Wattana immigration is: my passport, bank document(s), and letter from the Thai language school that I completed the course.

Do I need to bring anything else?

The bank documents need to be no older that a few days.

In some instances on the day of application.

Apply at Chaeng Wattana.

Sorry to keep asking so many questions - but, do I need to make an appointment for this at Chaeng Wattana, or can I just walk in?

You are asking about a one year extension of stay for retirement right? You will need the TM.7 form with 4x6cm current photo (which you can download/print front/back on A4 or do at front of office) and the financial paperwork and copies of your passport/visa/extensions/tm6 and then get queue number inside main room telling them what you want to do. No appointment required and they open at 0830 but close from 12-1300.

You are asking about a one year extension of stay for retirement right? You will need the TM.7 form with 4x6cm current photo (which you can download/print front/back on A4 or do at front of office) and the financial paperwork and copies of your passport/visa/extensions/tm6 and then get queue number inside main room telling them what you want to do. No appointment required and they open at 0830 but close from 12-1300.

Yes, I'm asking about a on year of extension of stay for retirement. I just turned 50 and this is the first time I'm doing this, that's why I have so many questions. This is my first year living in Thailand, and I am now on an ED Visa.

How many copies of my passport/visa/extensions/tm6 do I need?-- Visa extensions are in my passport? And what is a tm6, is that and ED Visa?

Thank you again.

Recently someone asked me where you can go in Thailand to get fingerprinted for a U.S. FBI check. So, I'm curious Wayned, where you went to obtain fingerprints. The friend said she called the tourist police and they said they couldn't do fingerprints for a U.S. government check.

Recently someone asked me where you can go in Thailand to get fingerprinted for a U.S. FBI check. So, I'm curious Wayned, where you went to obtain fingerprints. The friend said she called the tourist police and they said they couldn't do fingerprints for a U.S. government check.
First you get finger print card from embassy.

Then you go to Special Branch Police for prints to be done.

This info by email from ACS bangkok in reply when I inquired about it by email.

Not sure you could get it done in CM.

Sent from my AirPad 8" TA803D using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by ubonjoe

When you get your extension it is a good idea to also get a re-entry permit at the same time. You can get either single or multiple. If you leave the cpuntry without one (say an emergency at home) your permission to stay will lapse and you will have to go through the whole procedure again including income letters or bank accounts and if you are not using the income plus bank method bank deposits must be "seasoned" ie have to have held the balance for 2 months first time an 3 months each time after that.

Will I have to leave Thailand right after I do this to get the retirement visa? For example: go to Laos and have paperwork done at the Thai embassy there, (which is what I had to do to get my Ed Visa)

You are asking about a one year extension of stay for retirement right?  You will need the TM.7 form with 4x6cm current photo (which you can download/print front/back on A4 or do at front of office) and the financial paperwork and copies of your passport/visa/extensions/tm6 and then get queue number inside main room telling them what you want to do.  No appointment required and they open at 0830 but close from 12-1300.  

Will I have to leave Thailand right after I do this to get the retirement visa?  For example: go to Laos and have paperwork done at the Thai embassy there, (which is what I had to do to get my Ed Visa)

You will not need a new visa. You will be changing the reason for you your extension from education to retirement. You will need letter from school stating that your studies have ended on the day you go to immigration.

Just put retirement on TM7 and show financial proof and other copies mentioned.

Will I have to leave Thailand right after I do this to get the retirement visa? For example: go to Laos and have paperwork done at the Thai embassy there, (which is what I had to do to get my Ed Visa)

You will not need a new visa. You will be changing the reason for you your extension from education to retirement. You will need letter from school stating that your studies have ended on the day you go to immigration.

Just put retirement on TM7 and show financial proof and other copies mentioned.

But my one year Ed Visa expires September 20, I really don't even have to do a visa run out of the country?

I don't think you have a visa you have an extension of stay you got from immigration that ends on the 20th. As long as you do the new extension on or before the 20th you will have no problems.

Even if you had a multiple entry ED visa and were doing border runs every 90 days you could do the extension.

Edited by ubonjoe

I don't think you have a visa you have an extension of stay you got from immigration that ends on the 20th. As long as you do the new extension on or before the 20th you will have no problems. Even if you had a multiple entry ED visa and were doing border runs every 90 days you could do the extension.

Sorry to ask again, does that mean if I apply for the retirement visa (extension of stay) before the 20th, I will not have to leave and re-enter the country?

Thank you so much for all the information.