Dear Oprah: Switzerland is not racist, just ask your friend Tina Turner

webfact

Dear Oprah: Switzerland is not racist, just ask your friend Tina Turner
BY ELISABETH LANG, ETN CORRESPONDENT, EUROPE

ZURICH: -- Switzerland has a long culture of being a haven for the rich and famous, no matter where they are from or what color they are. As a matter of fact, Tina Turner has lived for over twenty years in Kusnacht on Lake Zurich and has a Swiss passport.

Presently, there are about 5,000 celebrities in Switzerland as well as super wealthy and not so wealthy foreign citizens who enjoy a "high-end lifestyle" and the tranquility of the country. Not all of those people are here just for the incredible natural beauty and the white gold in the mountains called snow.

They are also here for the security of their families, to protect their assets, for more privacy, and for the lump sum tax they can negotiate. They all feel safe and happy.

You can ask the Arabs who have lived in a villa on Lake Geneva for decades, or the internationally-known celebrities who enjoy the fact that nobody bothers them or is staring at them in restaurants. You can find James Bond Sir Roger Moore playing golf in Wallis or famous Hollywood icons having dinner at the next table without anyone calling the paparazzi - a reason Sophia Loren feels so at home in Geneva.

But Geneva could not survive without all the numerous Arab families who come to visit in the summer season and spend their holiday money at Geneva’s hotels and shops.

It is where Phil Collins takes his children to school, and where Formula One tycoon, Bernie Ecclestone; IKEA owner, Invard Kamprad; eldest son of former Lebanon Prime Minister, Bahaa Al-Hariri; music legend, David Bowie; automotive executive extraordinaire, Sergio Marchionne and many others have found a nice chalet and a less stressful fiscal refuge.

Full story: http://www.eturbonews.com/37009/dear-oprah-switzerland-not-racist-just-ask-your-friend-tina-turn

-- eTN 2013-08-13

• Like 1

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the article was just aimed at Oprah, who accused a sales assistant (and therefore Switzerland) of being racist, I believe, allegedly. The mention of all the other foreigners was purely an attempt to "justify" that all races and foreigners are welcome there, in my opinion, and not to hype up any of those individuals or to suggest that they are angels.

I think the article was just aimed at Oprah, who accused a sales assistant (and therefore Switzerland) of being racist, I believe, allegedly. The mention of all the other foreigners was purely an attempt to "justify" that all races and foreigners are welcome there, in my opinion, and not to hype up any of those individuals or to suggest that they are angels.

I'm not sure I get the "and therefore Switzerland' part.

Oprah indeed accused a sales assistant. I have not read anything that suggests she generalized that accusation to the entire nation. I think she is more than sophisticated and intelligent enough to know that within any country live at least some rascists.

RELATED:
'Oprah's a liar': Sales assistant in Swiss racist handbag row denies telling TV host that she could not view item because she couldn't afford it
Sale assistant said she feels 'powerless' after the racism accusations
Oprah Winfrey claimed assistant refused to show her a handbag because it was 'too expensive'
Speaking anonymously, shop worker said claims were 'absurd'

By ALLAN HALL IN BERLIN

ZURICH: -- The sales assistant who refused to show U.S. talkshow billionaire Oprah Winfrey a luxury handbag costing nearly £25,000 claims the superstar lied about what happened in the luxury Swiss boutique where she works.

Speaking anonymously to Sunday newspaper SonntagsBlick, the Italian bag lady said she felt 'powerless' and in the grip of a 'cyclone' after Winfrey went on TV in America to claim she had been the victim of racism.

Winfrey was in Switzerland in July when she walked into the Trois Pommes boutique in Zurich looking for a handbag to match the outfit she was going to wear to old friend Tina Turner's wedding.

Full story: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2389798/Oprah-Winfrey-branded-liar-Swiss-sales-assistant-racist-handbag-row.html

-- Daily Mail 2013-08-13

Anyone paying that kind of money for a frickin purse is really off the bottom of the page of the, people I give a crap about list.

Yeah, well, she probably earned the cost of that sack in the time it took you to write that post ...

• Like 1

Oprah indeed accused a sales assistant. I have not read anything that suggests she generalized that accusation to the entire nation. I think she is more than sophisticated and intelligent enough to know that within any country live at least some rascists.

perhaps this will clear it up for you

Winfrey said she left the shop calmly without arguing, but that the experience was proof that racism continues to be a problem.

"There's two different ways to handle it," Oprah said. "I could've had the whole blow-up thing... but racism in Switzerland still exists, of course, it does."

source: http://www.eturbonews.com/36912/racism-switzerland-oprah-winfrey-thinks-so-after-shopping-zurich

I think that the OPRAH experienced a mild form of racism, for reals.

So if that's true, is it ALSO true that spice bias at restaurants based on race is also a kind of manifestation of racism?

I think so:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/660096-oprahs-swiss-handbag-masala-and-spice-bias-at-indian-restaurants-in-siam/

Racism is pervasive. Some is a big deal, some isn't. It doesn't have to be a lynching to be racism.

Edited by Jingthing

Jeez, pass me the toilet roll...!! It's how Elizabeth Lang has interpreted things and that's the basis for her article, hence "Switzerland is not racist...". How picky!!

If I were OPRAH, I would be mean OPRAH. I'd buy the shop, fire the clerk, and tell her -- you'll never sell another handbag in Switzerland again!

The new shop would be called: 100,000 Euro and Up Handbag Shoppe, By Appointment Only (Submit financial bona fides)

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

I do not like Oprah. I am sure however her interpretation is correct The shop keeper made an assumption that she would prefer to buy a cheaper bag than the one she asked for. I am sure that the fact that she is black was a major part of the shopkeeper's decision to act as she did, This is racism.

Could be Harry, but it could also be the expertise/experience of the shop assistant. If she did the same to someone wearing cheap clothes, someone old or young, and so on, or going straight to the more expensive stuff when an Arab man walks in, or man carrying a briefcase and sporting a good suit, etc, it could be construed as discrimination - or it could be construed as assumption based on experience. One is illegal, the other simply sometimes incorrect. Making a mountain out of a molehill is just silly - and surely it would be much more fun to dismiss the assistant and get another to serve you the expensive stuff instead.

Reminds me of my Mrs here about maybe fifteen years ago. We were in the Night Bazaar at Chiang Mai (it was still pretty good then). I was standing away from the stall which my wife was perusing. It was a stall selling knock-off Rolexes and the like. While digging around through the watches as she was wont to do (usually for presents for people back home - she is Thai, but we lived in the UK back then), a rather obnoxious middle-aged American women came to the stall with a similarly aged, but rather henpecked (though not uxorious as it turned out) husband. She dug around in the pile of watches too, before snootily announcing, "You can see they are fake - look at the one that women is wearing!" - whilst pointing at my wife's wrist. She was much surprised when my wife turned to her and said, "Actually it is real - I bought it in Jersey", in good English - the husband winked and smiled as he passed, following his somewhat embarrassed wife. Her assumption: Young Thai women in a market pondering fake watches sporting a three grand Swiss watch - must be fake (and can't speak English) - safe bet really, but incorrect at that time. We thought it very funny, so did the stall holder when the Mrs told him in Thai - racist though? Nah, just a bad assumption.

• Like 2

I'm not really a fan of Oprah, nor a detractor, but she DID experience racism in that shop. Not really such a big deal, more of a bag deal, but when you're Oprah things tend to get BLOWN up.

Edited by Jingthing

As a 1.5 Million Baht Rolex owner,i thought i'd just get the Plot back to Spice and Racism. Not that it will.Just Fuel a few more nasty comments from the Giro Gang.I've found the trick with Indian Places here is to get in early,and tell them your Fav Indian Food,and Indian Area you have been..Works for me anyway..thumbsup.gif Peace to All.

How did this article get published? There is almost no upside and a long view down.

If you have to say "i'm not a racist because some of my best friends are ....."

you are probably a racist. at least a mild one at best.

PS, I'm no Oprah fan, but she has almost no reason to exaggerate this claim.

This story adds nothing to her hundreds of million or billion or what ever she is worth.

while the clerk or shop owner. has everything to lose for her comments.

How did this article get published? There is almost no upside and a long view down.

If you have to say "i'm not a racist because some of my best friends are ....."

you are probably a racist. at least a mild one at best.

PS, I'm no Oprah fan, but she has almost no reason to exaggerate this claim.

This story adds nothing to her hundreds of million or billion or what ever she is worth.

while the clerk or shop owner. has everything to lose for her comments.

Oprah was pissed off because she wasn't recognised and it's not the 1980s so she can't just scream "Do you know who I am?".

Switzerland is snooty, elitist and insular as every visitor who isn't ultra-rich has experienced. She was annoyed at being treated like a regular person.

That might be part of it but that kind of proves her point, "regular" black ladies get a racist snub in that shop.