Bangkok university makes students wear anti-cheating helmet during mid-term exams

webfact

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

They are seated too close to each other.

This photo should highlight the inadequacy of space even in institutes of higher learning. How much more inadequate are space in general schools?

And this government wants to borrow Bt20 trillions on vague water management projects but not a satang to improve and expand on educational facilities.

Fair comments.

However the picture below is from a Google "Oxford University students sitting exams,images"

Perhaps crowded exam rooms are not just a Thai problem.

Maybe the problem is one of ethics, that cheating is bad. Thais seem to have been taught to believe that cheating is the route to success. After all they see government leaders and their "successes".

post-9891-0-22288700-1376566487_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Everyone knows the kids write the answers and cheats on their skin anyway.

When I read the headline, I thought of something like Google glasses and the teacher monitoring the field of vision of the students online. Silly me ...

Why take exams when they are all going to graduate anyway.

Are these Thai students or APACHE Indians ???

It makes sense that with Hitler being all the rage these days that the KKK would want to get their bite of the cherry tongue.png

And they forgot the Aluminum foil hats,,,,

The picture in the OP seems to be only a visualization of how the majority of Thai people goes through life, especially regarding the competence of their government.

The same could be said for many 1st world countries as well...

• Like 2

There is very simple test building software that can create 3-4 randomized tests, then just pass them out without the student knowing which one they will get. Gather them up and easy peasy grade each set. Hard to cheat that way! Don't tell them you randomized it and see how many people get every questions wrong! Fun!

Also, I hope that pic is a joke. If not, it is very sad.

If cheating were an Olympic event, Thailand would take home the Gold (and the probably steal the Silver and Bronze as well).

I've been involved in education here for many years and there are so very many ways they cheat. Another poster mentioned it, but among the Thai staff, it is known as 'helping your friend.' Here's a few of the ones over the years that I've seen:

1. Writing the answers in dictionaries and then lending the dictionaries to friends.

2. A student in the front using his left hand to signal the question # and his right hand to signal A,B,C,D. 1finger for A, 2 for B etc. This was done discreetly while simply brushing the back of his head.

3. Cheat sheets, of course. Answers written inside belts, written with correction fluid on watches etc.

4. Answers written in a specified toilet stall and then other students take turns going to the toilet.

5. Answers written on papers then rolled up inside a pen

Etc. etc. etc.

I'd call this a "valid Variance Visor." It's only good use is to provide a valid ordinal test score to discriminate A's from D's. Sure, all pass, but the D students know they've earned their grade. - called grading on the curve or, better, grading around the bend or pulling grades out of y... nevermind.

cheesy.gif.pagespeed.ce.HaOxm9--Zv.gif alt=cheesy.gif width=32 height=20> Glad to see we are back infant school, so everything works as it usually should,wai2.gif.pagespeed.ce.goigDuXn4X.gif alt=wai2.gif width=20 height=20> Prejudging everyone in a test is cheating!thumbsup.gif.pagespeed.ce.dtxKiAJ9C7.gif alt=thumbsup.gif width=25 height=19>

Well I've taught some bachelor and many masters programs here in Thailand (obviously English language programs), at several universities including the two which would probably be regarded by most Thais as the most prestigious.

Exam invigilators were assigned (usually two) to every mid-term / final exam. Usually well respected mature admin. staff or mature Thai lecturers, but always staff who were not afraid at all to challenge students who were 'suspected'

I quickly learned why, at most exams there were 'incidents'.

April fools day is very early this year.

In fact, reading this thread and several other threads (Line, etc.) I think the it is every day April Fools day in Thailand.

Is there a shrink somewhere (freely translation of the Dutch movie "Waar is de dokter").

This one picture tells so much about Thai education, including obviously higher education. You could use this image to paint a picture of the whole darn system. Its absurd and infuriating. Plus the "inventor" will probably get a prize.

Its a comment on the mentallity of the staff who devote their time to this sort of idiocy. Also on the culture of corruption and cheating. The treatment of students - weird, humiliating and ridiculous - absolutely no protest, just acquiescence to authority no matter what they do, the threat of punishment, childish treatment and mentality, etc.

Also ... who uses exams these days in higher ed? They are useful for sorting out the first years when there are too many students (and the university has got their fees reference chula) or to test memory. They are useful for dumb, uncreative, teachers with huge classes who are unable to provide interesting activites, problems, etc for students... and, of course, students whose levels of English are such that they cannot write a credible academic paper.

Another first for this country!!!

The cover up of this cover up is more amusing to me than the anticheating cover up.

At least the university found a way to stop people looking at their neighbours paper.

My solution number the desk

print randomly ordered papers.

record which desk marked which paper and then process normally.

Good to see them trying to do something about cheating though. That is something the University should be commended for. The cover up..well this is Thailand.

Surely you jest??? (OK I'll stop calling you Shirley :=)

THAT, my friend would require thought and planning.

DO NOT expect that to happen anytime soon here.