Thailand is the 'most popular' destination for Britons considering a gap year

webfact

Thailand 'most popular' for gap years
Thailand is the most popular destination for Britons considering a gap year, new research has suggested.
By Oliver Smith

LONDON: -- Thousands of students opened their A-Level results yesterday, and Abta, the travel association, estimates that around 24,000 of them will spend much or all of the next 12 months overseas.

It reported that Thailand was proving to be the most popular choice among school leavers, followed by Australia, the US and South Africa.

Other favourites were Peru, popular with those hoping to tackle the Inca Trail; Vietnam, home to the UNESCO World Heritage Sites of Ha Long Bay, Hoi An and Mỹ Son; and Brazil, famous for beaches, jungle treks, and sprawling cities. India, New Zealand, and Fiji completed the top ten.

Abta suggested that rising tuition fees had encouraged more young Britons to take a gap year, adding that several of its members had reported a rise in bookings compared to last year.

Full story: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/travelnews/10247548/Thailand-most-popular-for-gap-years.html

-- The Telegraph 2013-08-17

Many arrive and get a job in a " hole in the wall " language school, get a couple of months salary and move on to other parts of the region without telling the school they are going.

To be fair some work in more reputable schools and do hang around but for those intent in getting the best out of their gap year Thailand is only a jumping off point because it's easy to get to on cheap flights.

• Like 2

Backpackers peopling the /spawn/ of the Me-generation: ohhhhhhhh! those Millenialist couch potatoes...HUGE carbon footprint...costs as much carbon to ship a backpacking Me-ist from JFK, NYC to Bkk as it does to heat the average AmneriKKKan home for a year...then, there's the d@mnable *eco-tourism--killing reefs & stuffing beaches w/scum & Russians--what more could a Nation want? ;-} rap. bah.gif.pagespeed.ce.-cCHYEZ1Lo.gif

• Like 1

Backpackers peopling the /spawn/ of the Me-generation: ohhhhhhhh! those Millenialist couch potatoes...HUGE carbon footprint...costs as much carbon to ship a backpacking Me-ist from JFK, NYC to Bkk as it does to heat the average AmneriKKKan home for a year...then, there's the d@mnable *eco-tourism--killing reefs & stuffing beaches w/scum & Russians--what more could a Nation want? ;-} rap. bah.gif.pagespeed.ce.-cCHYEZ1Lo.gif

How did you get to Thailand? Did you walk it? coffee1.gif

...one way, pal...not crusin' th' planet, I...a down payment, one-time investment in my exile... ;-} rap.

So it was YOU who was the Unabomber..... not Ted Kaczynski

• Like 1

"costs as much carbon to ship a backpacking Me-ist from JFK, NYC to Bkk"

Very few Britons use the JFK to BKK route, but nice rant anyway.

• Like 1

Too bad there is no visa for these youngsters to actually spend a year, or even half a year in Thailand. They could go to the US for six months at a time - to Mexico for the same, Europe indefinitely, but there is no six month tourist visa for Thailand. Sure they could subject themselves to border runs, but no sane person could think there is any point to this.

• Like 2

Students have studied constantly up to the age of 18 years. A Levels are hard - They deserve a break... Perhaps get the degree out the way first though.

Anyone who has worked hard for A Levels and a Degree deserves to take a break. The stress of exams, constant deadlines and course work the results of which can have a dramatic impact on your future can be overwhelming, its great for anyone to take a break before commencing on a career or whatever crappy opportunity life affords them....

Some are lucky, but most will never have the opportunity to truly relax for any duration of time until retirement... I'm not thinking of getting these kids to give something back, they've worked hard for a break. They'll give something back in due time with the taxes most of them will pay throughout their careers.

• Like 1

"costs as much carbon to ship a backpacking Me-ist from JFK, NYC to Bkk"

Very few Britons use the JFK to BKK route, but nice rant anyway.

Me-generation, Me-ists, d@mnable eco-tourism...... Perhaps a Gap Year experiencing the world would have been valuable in giving others a more rounded and balanced outlook on life !...

• Like 2

Too bad there is no visa for these youngsters to actually spend a year, or even half a year in Thailand. They could go to the US for six months at a time - to Mexico for the same, Europe indefinitely, but there is no six month tourist visa for Thailand. Sure they could subject themselves to border runs, but no sane person could think there is any point to this.

These gap year students often start and finish their trips in Thailand but also get around to the other countries in the region. And the Thai Government indirectly supports this with their visa limitations.

But Thailand, Singapore excepted, is now the most expensive country in the region as well, another reason for them to visit the other areas.

• Like 1

Gap year is a blessing in disguise. That's a years holiday from taking to the streets and protesting about practically everything, particularly about things that they don't fully understand.

Thirty years ago part of my remit was to recruit university graduates. Less than 1% of applicants were suitable and the majority unemployable. UK industries have complained for decades about the quality of young people coming on to the job market. The youngsters speak of Uni probably because Uni-vers-it-ty has far too many syllables for them to deal with. As for travel broadening their outlook my experience is that no such phenomenon occurred with the majority of sailors that I served with in 12 years service in the RN.

• Like 1

Students have studied constantly up to the age of 18 years. A Levels are hard - They deserve a break... Perhaps get the degree out the way first though.

Anyone who has worked hard for A Levels and a Degree deserves to take a break. The stress of exams, constant deadlines and course work the results of which can have a dramatic impact on your future can be overwhelming, its great for anyone to take a break before commencing on a career or whatever crappy opportunity life affords them....

Some are lucky, but most will never have the opportunity to truly relax for any duration of time until retirement... I'm not thinking of getting these kids to give something back, they've worked hard for a break. They'll give something back in due time with the taxes most of them will pay throughout their careers.

Many study up until they are 15 or 16 and have to get a job to survive in this world. Maybe help their family to survive. This gap year nonsense is just that...nonsense and usually only seen in the realm of those with parents who can afford to allow their little darlings another year of mummy loves you darling = here's x amount of money to go play with. In all of my years on this planet I have never seen or known anyone who has had a gap year. I've known plenty who have taken a year off after leaving school and completing an apprenticeship or a degree...they really have earned it. To suggest that someone who has just finished school and somehow has done something special ... well we live in different worlds.

Edited by Mudcrab
  • Like 2

How did you get to Thailand? Did you walk it? coffee1.gif

...one way, pal...not crusin' th' planet, I...a down payment, one-time investment in my exile... ;-} rap.

I'm down wid you bro' - Oh, just one thing wrong with your massive missive, my bad, you forgot the C ;-} rap

• Like 1

Are tuition fees expected to decrease one year on?

Great for the CV/personal development if they performed some sort of national service or humanitarian work abroad for this "gap" year.

No, but the cost of travel is likely to increase.

Also it means you delay a year the point where you leave education with the £50000 debt and also reduce by a year the pay-back period (30 years)

With one son about to start his second year and one about to start his first, I have worked out it will be much better for me if they take a gap year.

Good for them too, as they can see the world a bit and learn about how others live.

Many study up until they are 15 or 16 and have to get a job to survive in this world. Maybe help their family to survive. This gap year nonsense is just that...nonsense and usually only seen in the realm of those with parents who can afford to allow their little darlings another year of mummy loves you darling = here's x amount of money to go play with. In all of my years on this planet I have never seen or known anyone who has had a gap year. I've known plenty who have taken a year off after leaving school and completing an apprenticeship or a degree...they really have earned it. To suggest that someone who has just finished school and somehow has done something special ... well we live in different worlds.

You don't believe they should go straight into Employment or directly to University do you ?

Perhaps physically fit people shouldn't be permitted to retire ?... After all, someone who has worked all their life until the age of 65 has done nothing more special than anyone else, why do they deserve it?... (rhetorical question, we know the answer - of course everyone has the right to a happy retirement, equally so, if someone can afford it they have the right to take a break for as long as they wish).

Thus - for someone who is going to work the rest of their life (until retirement) what is wrong with taking a year out ?...

This doesn't need to turn into a have's and have not's thread: If people can't afford a gap year thats sad, but that doesn't mean those who can afford to experience the world (at whatever level) shouldn't.

Who decides they have earned it? Did Bob and Jean down the road truly earn their 2 week holiday to Lanzarote this year ? (again, rhetorical question).

There are so many people on this forum who have lost judgemental balance - It seems as though threads like this always bring out 'some' of the Older folk to hammer the young and why? because they never had the same opportunities? Little darlings, really?... everyone on this forum, even the bitter old folk who enjoy throwing so much judgement around were once someones little darling. It's a shame the bitter folk were not afforded similar opportunities and experiences in their younger years to balance out the Chip weighing on their shoulders and to soften the bitterness eating away....

Would the critics have enjoyed a year long holiday after working hard at School and A-Levels, and even Uni ?...

• Like 2

I encourage any youngster to go traveling when they're young, they learn a lot and grow up quickly. Yes they can be young and stupid at times but so were we all.

I'm all for it.

I still am giggle.gif , stupid that is......................smile.png

• Like 1

Can someone please explain to them that they really do not need to bring massive backpacks for both front and rear to lug everything they own around Thailand....we do have laundries and shops spread around the country should you need something. Travel light is perhaps one of the best things they will ever learn.

• Like 1

You don't believe they should go straight into Employment or directly to University do you ?

Perhaps physically fit people shouldn't be permitted to retire ?... After all, someone who has worked all their life until the age of 65 has done nothing more special than anyone else, why do they deserve it?... (rhetorical question, we know the answer - of course everyone has the right to a happy retirement, equally so, if someone can afford it they have the right to take a break for as long as they wish).

Thus - for someone who is going to work the rest of their life (until retirement) what is wrong with taking a year out ?...

This doesn't need to turn into a have's and have not's thread: If people can't afford a gap year thats sad, but that doesn't mean those who can afford to experience the world (at whatever level) shouldn't.

Who decides they have earned it? Did Bob and Jean down the road truly earn their 2 week holiday to Lanzarote this year ? (again, rhetorical question).

There are so many people on this forum who have lost judgemental balance - It seems as though threads like this always bring out 'some' of the Older folk to hammer the young and why? because they never had the same opportunities? Little darlings, really?... everyone on this forum, even the bitter old folk who enjoy throwing so much judgement around were once someones little darling. It's a shame the bitter folk were not afforded similar opportunities and experiences in their younger years to balance out the Chip weighing on their shoulders and to soften the bitterness eating away....

Would the critics have enjoyed a year long holiday after working hard at School and A-Levels, and even Uni ?...

Huh? Don't tell me the public purse subsidises gap years? If someone wants to travel, who the hell cares?