Has Thailand ever invented or developed something significant ?

Bcgardener

I was just reading about foreign companies operating in Thailand and it appears most of them have their R&D either in their home countries or somewhere other than Thailand. So they just use Thailand as a manufacturing base. I decided to scan the internet to see if Thais or Thai businesses had ever invented or developed something that had had a significant impact on engineering, science, agriculture, medicine etc. Unfortunately I drew a blank. Does anyone know of anything I might have missed? Please no Thai bashing about this , I am just curious to know.

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The jet ski scam is perhaps the most famous Thai invention. There are some other "high profile" Thai inventions which I won't mention but they are mostly a joke for publicity and propaganda reasons.

There are real thai inventions in many fields particularly from Thai research scientists at companies like PTT as well as Thai universities. You probably won't hear of them unless you work in a specialized area or as a Patent attorney filing applications on their behalf..

Thanks for that Time Traveller. This is the sort of reply I was looking for. Any idea how I can get more info on these (apart from the jet ski scam. I can simply drive to Pattaya to research that one).

Yes. Last year the government paid people to purchase their first car. As a result you have hundreds of thousands of middle age Thais driving high powered sedans and pick ups with no driver training whatsoever and no previous experience. Thus the Thai government has developed a significant and lethal risk to road users in this country.

• Like 1

its well known that the bum gun is their main invention.

oh and a global network of massage parlours staffed by thai gals

but generally speaking they're to greedy and selfish to invent something for the benefit of others .

but i would be interested to know about any famous thai philanthropists in their history.

any wealth is likely to be given to monks like nen kham and not benefit the population

Edited by giggles
  • Like 1

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/603539-thai-inventions-in-the-last-15-years/

I've seen this asked many times on the forum.........try doing a search........start with the above

Followed your link but none the wiser for it. No real info there just a reasonable duplicate of the posts in this Forum, however I will soldier on and do a search through other forums. My main interest is in inventions more than 15 years ago , in fact a few hundred years ago would be good.

This question was asked years ago. The posting is on TV. Thailand has over 1500+ patented inventions. I found it easy to find but I'm not doing it again, your turn. Hint: try searching "Thai Patents".

if you go back just say 30-40 years they were to poor to consider inventing things ,just staying alive and feeding their family would be all they were able to do.

there was a recent report on poor people that said they were not able to make sound judgments

• Like 2

This question was asked years ago. The posting is on TV.  Thailand has over 1500+ patented inventions. I found it easy to find but I'm not doing it again, your turn.  Hint: try searching "Thai Patents".

Great thought outside the box, I have been searching on the internet for Thai inventions and discoveries, never thought about patents. Thank you for the constructive advice.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Does anyone know of anything I might have missed?

Yes.

A couple of years ago, in a Trat newspaper, I read about a Thai who had invented something.

There was even a photo of a local politico (with certificate and some cash) standing next to the inventor himself, in front of his invention.

It was described as a method of collecting and storing rain water for use later, in times of drought.

I doubt he could ever get a patent, though, because I'm thinking a retention pond has been done before.

Yes. I am serious.

• Like 1

While I'm sure there are a lot of creative Thai's I have to remember that patent protection begins and ends at the border. It's possible to get a Thai patent on an item that's been sold in Europe or the USA for years. It also works the other way. Probably shouldn't happen, but it does.

For anyone really interested, go to USPTO.gov and do a patent search for patents where the patent owner or inventor lists Thailand as an address.

I'm sure there are European sites to do the same, but I have only searched the USPTO site.

Read about Therdchai Jivacate, a very inspirational man.

Also read the following and research further for a new angle - award winning female Thai inventors:

http://www.wipo.int/export/sites/www/ip-outreach/en/awards/women/pdf/th.pdf

You'll find many Thais have done great things to help the impoverished and/or disadvantaged.

such as? anyway helping is not inventing is it.

While I'm sure there are a lot of creative Thai's I have to remember that patent protection begins and ends at the border. It's possible to get a Thai patent on an item that's been sold in Europe or the USA for years. It also works the other way. Probably shouldn't happen, but it does.

For anyone really interested, go to USPTO.gov and do a patent search for patents where the patent owner or inventor lists Thailand as an address.

I'm sure there are European sites to do the same, but I have only searched the USPTO site.

Can you give a more specific URL. USPTO.gov just is the landing page and its very difficult to find what you are referring to.

I think also to strengthen your claim, it would help if you could give us an infographic that shows the total number of Patents for each country and where Thailand sits.

Read about Therdchai Jivacate, a very inspirational man.

Also read the following and research further for a new angle - award winning female Thai inventors:

http://www.wipo.int/export/sites/www/ip-outreach/en/awards/women/pdf/th.pdf

You'll find many Thais have done great things to help the impoverished and/or disadvantaged.

such as? anyway helping is not inventing is it.

Did you read any of the above? Regardless, here's another example:

A Thai inventor won a bronze medal at the prestigious International Exhibition of Inventions of Geneva for developing an affordable device that can help detect the risk of a stroke. Watchara Kaewmahanin, a lecturer at Naresuan University, competed against entrants from 45 countries and won two awards at the Swiss exhibition for her device that can check constrictions of blood vessels in the brain.

http://www.visetkaew.com/wp/2013/04/29/thai-inventor-wins-swiss-award-for-stroke-detection-device/