Has Thailand ever invented or developed something significant ?

Bcgardener

Yes. Last year the government paid people to purchase their first car. As a result you have hundreds of thousands of middle age Thais driving high powered sedans and pick ups with no driver training whatsoever and no previous experience. Thus the Thai government has developed a significant and lethal risk to road users in this country.

given that the incentive only applied to "eco cars" with tiny engines i suspect you may be misinformed.

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes. Last year the government paid people to purchase their first car. As a result you have hundreds of thousands of middle age Thais driving high powered sedans and pick ups with no driver training whatsoever and no previous experience. Thus the Thai government has developed a significant and lethal risk to road users in this country.

given that the incentive only applied to "eco cars" with tiny engines i suspect you may be misinformed.

Up to 1600 CC qualified, and even an 1100CC can kill just as easily as a 3.5 Litre Merc. Eco cars with tiny engines? I suggest that you have in fact been misinformed.

Up to 1600 CC qualified, and even an 1100CC can kill just as easily as a 3.5 Litre Merc. Eco cars with tiny engines? I suggest that you have in fact been misinformed.

dont know why anyone wants to second guess the Thai government ,, I don't know what my wife and kids think about,,,

A cartoon is the height of their outlook on world sustainability ,,I wish I had the resolve to not worry about politics or environmental issues,,,,,,it's the curse of the west I suppose

I believe the member who started this topic did not mean to ask about innovations introduced by His Majesty the King and therefore I have deleted posts discussing this, more so because many replies were disrespectful to the King. Consequently, please keep His Majesty out of this thread. Thank you.

OP: From the Yale Law & Technology website, Thailand now sits third behind the US and Japan in terms of estimated biotech patents.

http://www.yalelawtech.org/ip-in-the-digital-age/biotech-in-thailand-how-patents-can-change-a-developing-nation/

I'm really impressed.

"On the agricultural side, the now great success has been with their genetically modified resistant rice. This helped the Thai agricultural economy expand rapidly and has made Thailand the largest exporter of rice in the world. Beyond this, Thailand is one of only five nations in the world with net food exports."

Didn't they also invent the rotting rice warehouse?

How about something high tech like a train that will stay on the tracks?

The above was a nice positive post about a nation that the whole population would fit one state and there are States who have a larger GNP. But instead of saying something positive about the above positive post you point out something negative that has come from left field?

What kind of training are you undergoing to visit Thailand. Posting everything negative you can think of about Thailand and Thai people? Do you really think any of them will like you if you point out all the negatives you can think of about Thailand?

I don't mean to pick on you but how can you guys post all the negative stuff; what kind of results do you get at home when you tell it to the wife or GF?

Look at the General forum right now. Hi honey your country sure stinks and I really miss it back home and I'll never get used to eating dogs, motorcycle gangs and the organ harvesters are chasing me.

Well, the OP asked for information about things that Thais have invented.

It's your turn. Rattle off your long list of world shaking contributions that Thais have made to science and technology, or any other important inventions.

Next to that in column 2, list all of the things that Thailand manufactures for companies from other countries, which companies brought in not only the knowledge but the machinery and supervise the Thais while the Thais work in the factory.

Next to that in column 3, list all of the higher technology items that Thailand imports because they don't even manufacture those items for other countries.

C'mon. Put a little effort into this.

There were engine limitations to this scheme so the vehicles they drive so ineptly aren't overpowered whatsoever.

OP: From the Yale Law & Technology website, Thailand now sits third behind the US and Japan in terms of estimated biotech patents.

http://www.yalelawtech.org/ip-in-the-digital-age/biotech-in-thailand-how-patents-can-change-a-developing-nation/

I'm really impressed.

"On the agricultural side, the now great success has been with their genetically modified resistant rice. This helped the Thai agricultural economy expand rapidly and has made Thailand the largest exporter of rice in the world. Beyond this, Thailand is one of only five nations in the world with net food exports."

Didn't they also invent the rotting rice warehouse?

How about something high tech like a train that will stay on the tracks?

The above was a nice positive post about a nation that the whole population would fit one state and there are States who have a larger GNP. But instead of saying something positive about the above positive post you point out something negative that has come from left field?

What kind of training are you undergoing to visit Thailand. Posting everything negative you can think of about Thailand and Thai people? Do you really think any of them will like you if you point out all the negatives you can think of about Thailand?

I don't mean to pick on you but how can you guys post all the negative stuff; what kind of results do you get at home when you tell it to the wife or GF?

Look at the General forum right now. Hi honey your country sure stinks and I really miss it back home and I'll never get used to eating dogs, motorcycle gangs and the organ harvesters are chasing me.

It's your turn. Rattle off your long list of world shaking contributions that Thais have made to science and technology, or any other important inventions.

They've invented a society where western men, who can't cope with the fact that western women have a mind of their own and are no longer willing to spend their days cleaning behind the fridge, scuttle off to only to find that Thai women are even more independent and relieve them of their worldly goods in the blink of an eye laugh.png

Edited by sustento
  • Like 1

They've invented a society where western men, who can't cope with the fact that western women have a mind of their own and are no longer willing to spend their days cleaning behind the fridge, scuttle off to only to find that Thai women are even more independent and relieve them of their worldly goods in the blink of an eye laugh.png

Oh yeah, they invented the sick buffalo and the sick grandmother?

Oh yeah, they invented the sick buffalo and the sick grandmother?

Er yes - that's what I just said.

Asia are good to copy but hardly create anything. No offense, this is a fact that everybody knows.

The magnetic compass

Paper currency

The toothbrush

Gunpowder

Paper

Seismoscope

Pottery

Woodblock printing and moveable type

And many more...

The Chinese were inventing stuff while Europeans were still living in caves...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Chinese_inventions

• Like 2

Asians in general don't have a good track record at innovating. History shows they tend to be better at taking western innovation and copying it. Not stereotyping. That's just a fact. Not sure why. Probably cultural.

Edited by lapd

Asians in general don't have a good track record at innovating. History shows they tend to be better at taking western innovation and copying it. Not stereotyping. That's just a fact. Not sure why. Probably cultural.

History shows the Chinese invented papermaking, the compass, gunpowder and printing. History does not show they tend to be better at taking Western innovations and copying them. History shows that you don't have a good education in history. Probably cultural. Some would just call it a bad education.

Next to that in column 2, list all of the things that Thailand manufactures for companies from other countries, which companies brought in not only the knowledge but the machinery and supervise the Thais while the Thais work in the factory.

Next to that in column 3, list all of the higher technology items that Thailand imports because they don't even manufacture those items for other countries.

Threads like this really brings out the true Thai bashers. Either that or it exposes their true colors. Mr. Neversure, let me just ask you one simple question. Have you ever invented anything of true significance? If not, then you're no different from the random Thai. At least be honest about it.

To be fair to the Thai people nothing of any value has ever come out of Africa and that's an absolutely massive continent with way more people than Thailand and probably the whole of SE Asia.

Nothing of any value came out of Africa? Where do you figure man first discovered fire and agriculture? What about all of the innovations that were made in Egypt? How about the first human heart transplant?

Seriously, sir, yours is not the garden variety type of ignorance.

Agriculture was discovered (actually "Developed" is a better phrase), in the middle east.

Somewhere in the neighborhood of Iraq, Syria, Israel and southern Turkey.

It happened around 12,000 years ago, tens of thousand of years after Homo Sapiens has wondered out of Africa.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_agriculture

As for fire, the oldest site where use of controlled fire is thought to have taken place, is in northern Israel, some 800,000 years ago.

But of course, it's very hard to determine if fire was controlled, or people just used a random wild fire.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Control_of_fire_by_early_humans#Lower_Paleolithic_evidence

But the thread is about Thailand, not what Asia or Africa might or might not have invented. Still waiting to see one important invention listed from Thailand.

There have been a number of threads on Thai Visa about Thai inventions. http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/13420-thai-inventions/ Try reading it.

Read it but still waiting for one important Thai invention to be mentioned here, can't do it can you? The best answer on that thread was :

'Posted 2004-07-16 14:13:29

On a serious note here, I've asked almost all of the groups of students whom I've taught over the last four years this same question. These have been 'educated' people, BA students, MA students and even the odd PhD. I have yet to have anyone give me a good answer. The only thing I can think that has been invented here is chaos theory! '
Edited by sms747
  • Like 1

Threads like this really brings out the true Thai bashers. Either that or it exposes their true colors. Mr. Neversure, let me just ask you one simple question. Have you ever invented anything of true significance? If not, then you're no different from the random Thai. At least be honest about it.

No, a lot worse than the average Thai. He was born in a country where anyone could get a good higher education, health care and get rich. The average Thai didn't have the same opportunities as the average American, especially 40 years ago.

• Like 1