THAI plane accident: Eyewitness accounts

webfact

PLANE ACCIDENT
Eyewitness accounts

The Nation

30214520-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- "BEFORE LANDING, the pilot announced that the plane would be parked a fair way from the terminal building because the runway was under construction. Everything was normal while landing, then there was a sudden brake.

Looking out of the window from my first-class front-row seat on the far-right, I saw two pieces of metal fly by and realised that we had had an accident.

"The plane slid off the runway into the soft ground and there was a smell of something burning. Then I heard someone scream "fire, fire".

"The pilot ordered emergency exits to be opened and released the rubber slide for passengers to flee the plane. We were all instructed to run as far away from the plane as possible.

"I suspected something was wrong with the wheels and, looking back, I saw smoke with fire engines spraying water onto the plane … I hurt my back a bit sliding down the rubber slide.

"This is the first such incident in my life. THAI later got passengers to register their names so their luggage can be delivered to them later."

Kosit Suvinitjit, Former Media of Media executive and former Bangkok gubernatorial candidate

- "MY GROUP was returning from a tour in Guangzhou on this flight and we were sitting near the emergency exits. During the flight, I joked with my friends and the air-hostess what would happen if the exit popped open in case of emergency. A friend of mine cried that she was terrified of a plane crash.

"As I talked to a steward, I heard a loud bang and then a foreigner was heard yelling "Fire! Fire!" That's when chaos broke out.

"I didn't think my joke would come true. Everything happened so fast and [we] slid out via the rubber slider [exit ramp]. I was only slightly injured from being pushed.

"This is the most frightening thing that has ever happened to me - it felt like I died and came back to life just before my 33rd birthday this month."

Weeraparp Suparbphaiboon, Channel 7 soap-opera star

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-09-10

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

BEFORE LANDING, the pilot announced that the plane would be parked a fair way from the terminal building because the runway was under construction

So something was already wrong before landing?

Apparently the captain declared an emergency landing in advance. That's the reason the emergency services were on the scene.

News reports are confusing as to whether it was an engine fire or he could not confirm all the wheels were engaged down.

Much more interesting stuff spoken by ordinary passengers on TV news this morning. Seems although some of the cabin crew are required to leave the plane via the chutes first to 'direct operations' at ground level, most of the cabin crew jumped out first and some effectively ran away from the scene. Passengers where not told to leave hand luggage behind and many took theirs with them causing injury to other passengers on the way out. People were not told which exits to use and a degree of panic was the order of things. Most injuries occured by proper evacuation procedures not being carried out and people following each other down the chutes too close to each other and crashing into each other.

One good aspect was that passengers were prepared to speak up about what really happened and not try to cover everything up with silence.

That is awfully sad that crew members were running away and from such a minor accident. When I was a flight attendant, only the first officer at our airline was to leave the aircraft first to assist on the ground. Cabin crew were to assign "helper" passengers to go down the slide first and assist other passengers off the aircraft. Flight attendants were to stay on the aircraft to assist passengers until the "fire was too hot, the smoke too thick or the water too high".

• Like 2

Much more interesting stuff spoken by ordinary passengers on TV news this morning. Seems although some of the cabin crew are required to leave the plane via the chutes first to 'direct operations' at ground level, most of the cabin crew jumped out first and some effectively ran away from the scene. Passengers where not told to leave hand luggage behind and many took theirs with them causing injury to other passengers on the way out. People were not told which exits to use and a degree of panic was the order of things. Most injuries occured by proper evacuation procedures not being carried out and people following each other down the chutes too close to each other and crashing into each other.

One good aspect was that passengers were prepared to speak up about what really happened and not try to cover everything up with silence.

IF there was an engine fire, passengers should be directed to evacuate the opposite side. One of the reasons the window blinds are opened prior to landing.

Not easy to do things in 'an orderly manner' without supervision. A certain Italian cruise ship captain comes to mind.

• Like 2

Looking out of the window from my first-class front-row seat on the far-right

Discredited they only operate business class and economy on that route on the A330. smile.png

But hey don't let truth get in the way of getting big face in the media....These Thai "Superstars" need all the attention they can get...

Edited by negreanu
  • Like 1

"A Thai Airways plane carrying more than 280 people skidded off the runway while landing at Bangkok's main airport, injuring 14 passengers, the airline said Monday.

After the accident, workers on a crane blacked out the Thai Airways logo on the tail and body of the aircraft, as part of an effort to protect its image according to Star Alliance guidelines, an official said. It was the second mishap in less than two weeks for Thailand's national carrier."

TAT reported: "Look. Not Thai Airways. No logo. Some other airline with same colors, but no name. Come to Samet. Very clean water." cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

It's standard procedure the world over. The 'graffiti artists' are sent in, even before it stops burning if they can, because the last thing an airline management wants is their logo splashed across the world's media when the aircraft is trashed.

Edited by F4UCorsair

"This is the most frightening thing that has ever happened to me"

Weeraparp Suparbphaiboon, Channel 7 soap-opera star

Apart from the day the "BOOOING!" machine and slide whistle we use for comedy effect broke on the set of Khun Por Whan Whaw.

Edited by mca
  • Like 1

Seems although some of the cabin crew are required to leave the plane via the chutes first to 'direct operations' at ground level, most of the cabin crew jumped out first and some effectively ran away from the scene.

I really wouldn't be surprised at all by this. No worries, they can 'make merit' today.

Now...... all the passengers on the flight have experienced what a real Chinese "fire-drill" would be like.

Is fortunate that everyone escaped without serious injury considering passengers were "panicking & pushing" each other out of the plane onto the emergency slides.

The Flight Crew (14) should have posted two attendants at each emergency slide entrance and two attendants at bottom of slide to steady slide and ensure passengers were not injured during the emergency slide process.

Amazing Thailand!

"I suspected something was wrong with the wheels and, looking back, I saw smoke with fire engines spraying water onto the plane …

... and decorators hastily painting the fuselage. whistling.gif

Naah. That was the repair crew getting an early start on fuselage paint damage. They had a minotr 'glitch' with their color-matching/mixing because of the poor lighting at 2 AM, that's all.

At least the pilots didn't flee the scene. thumbsup.gif

But was the plane imported illegally as "spare parts" to get around the high tax like the Ferraris & other expensive cars are?cheesy.gif

Well then, they probably won't have to worry about the paper work of a change-of-status of the aircraft.