Just received this from Hull. Another door slams shut..

Remember that any entry can be extended for marriage/child visit at immigration for a period of 60 days without financials. So if you get a single entry O visa for 90 days and extend 60 days and then if needed can start over or exit for a visa exempt and extend that 60 days. There are still options without 400k/40k extensions if required.

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Remember that any entry can be extended for marriage/child visit at immigration for a period of 60 days without financials. So if you get a single entry O visa for 90 days and extend 60 days and then if needed can start over or exit for a visa exempt and extend that 60 days. There are still options without 400k/40k extensions if required.

Are you suggesting that a single entry O visa is available without evidence of income ?

That is not how the Thai embassy website reads.

Have to go back to UK in two working days time and must get new non-O while in the UK for a week. Have plenty of dosh in Thai and UK banks but:

* Thai stuff is all done by passbook - no address. I don't get bank statements and web-site statements don't show adresses

* UK stuff is all online and web-site statements don't show addresses

Practical advice please - can I call into my local Kantaralak Krungsri branch and get a statement with my Thai address on it covering my deposit account that is registered at Bangkok Krungsri, to be received over the counter same or next working day?

Can I call by my base bank Krungsri in Thonglor Bangkok day of flight and get the required statement?

Will HSBC UK hand out statements out over the counter with addresses on them - my prior experience is that they only post them and posting delays can be a working week.

I appreciate any experience members have - obviously I can make the calls myself when the working week starts, but time is running out fast and it would be useful to get some idea in advance. Thank goodness I saw this thread. I could have been well stuffed visiting Hull with only a few days left in the UK based on info that I got two weeks ago that is now out of date.

Typical bluddy Thais - change things overnight with no advance warning. Nobody gives a <removed> for planning here! Love the place and my Thais to bits but sometimes the culture drives you mad!

[sorry - just finished going a second time round the ridiculous merry go round to get my Bangkok condo electricity bill paid direct by the bank (the first failed and neither bank or electricity company will say why). It's a 5 minute online job in the UK: Thailand - a 3 office visit (pay latest bill locally/visit bank/hand in stamped application at electricity head office) and 40 clicks of urban/semi-urban driving.]

Amazing Thailand w00t.gif

How about getting a letter from bank like they do for extensions. Then just print out a online statement just before you apply for the visa.

Thanks Ubonjoe, but with the way banks work here I suspect that Krungsri Kantaralak branch will not issue a letter on a Krungsri Thonglor account same day or overnight? I only have two more days at home and everything I do that's out of the ordinary locally like forex import I end up having to go into Thonglor to re-sort out later! Did that yesterday for a forex letter (importing large GBP - the rate is still good) - took 45 minutes in Kantaralak last week and came out with a paper which I told them was not sufficient evidence. They insisted it was and Thonglor yesterday apologised that the local branch had insufficient experience.

I don't particularly want to go to Bangkok any earlier than night before flight so I only have a few working hours in Bangkok to get Krungsri Thonglor to sort.

Guess I'm going to have to make a few phone calls early Monday and as Cardholder wisely reminds me - take much more than you might need as back-up.

It'll all be alright on the night of course - always is, but unlike many Thais I like to plan ahead! Maybe they're the ones with the right attitude to life?

Yes it does just above multiple entry visa info.

Apologies UJ (and Lopburi).

So, to be clear, anyone who is married to a Thai can get a single entry O without supporting financial information.

Not quite sure what real benefit that has because any subsequent extension will need evidence.

Any multiple entry O requires financial evidence or a pension statement.

Yes it does just above multiple entry visa info.

Apologies UJ (and Lopburi).

So, to be clear, anyone who is married to a Thai can get a single entry O without supporting financial information.

Not quite sure what real benefit that has because any subsequent extension will need evidence.

Any multiple entry O requires financial evidence or a pension statement.

It gives a 90 day entry which is better and cheaper overall (no 1900 baht extension) than a single entry tourist.

With 60 day extension to visit wife it could give plenty of time to prepare for an extension or go for a multi non-o in Savannakhet.

• Like 1

Have to go back to UK in two working days time and must get new non-O while in the UK for a week. Have plenty of dosh in Thai and UK banks but:

* Thai stuff is all done by passbook - no address. I don't get bank statements and web-site statements don't show adresses

* UK stuff is all online and web-site statements don't show addresses

Practical advice please - can I call into my local Kantaralak Krungsri branch and get a statement with my Thai address on it covering my deposit account that is registered at Bangkok Krungsri, to be received over the counter same or next working day?

Drop the emphasis on addresses - nowhere is this a requirement for a visa application in the UK.

Note the following from the embassy website:-

1. The Embassy is open for Visa application from Monday - Friday from 09.00 - 12.30 hrs, the last appointment ticket is issued at 12pm. (except for Embassy's public holiday). No appointment is required. It takes 2 working days to process a visa.
2. Successful applicants can collect their passport and visa from 11.00 - 12.00 hrs., two days after the date of their application. Anyone with the receipt can collect visa on behalf of applicants.
3. Visa fee must be paid in pound sterling (£) and in cash or postal order only.
4. The applicant's passport must have at least 6 month validity on the applying date.

Category "O" To visit Thai spouse, children, parents or voluntary job. Category "O" with multiple entries

Pension earners or Applicants over 50 years of age, following document is required;

- Pension statement if the applicant is a pension earner, or

- Proof of income with a minimum of £1,400.00 per month or

- Thai Spouse visa with a copy of marriage certificate and passport or Thai ID of spouse and (3 months bank statement showing monthly income of more than

£1,400.00 or £16,500 anuually for those who have been issue category O with multiple entries)

i don't think that the Thai embassy is there to "çatch you out" or send you away (a la Thai immigration) if a statement does not have today's date on. If you have reasonable evidence, that satisfies the above requirements, I am sure you will be successful.

I think you are most likely correct, I will be submitting all my stuff with a cover letter that explains first of all they didn't give enough notice of the changes to their requirements (3 months) and statements of several accounts showing private pension just short of the required amount - a current account with balance of 26,000 from August 31st and other investment accounts worth over 100k, if they don't give me a visa based on that then I just don't have a clue

So what will be the difference to a guy who is under 50 years of age married to a thai.

A person over 50 on a retirement visa can stay as long as he has money in the bank 800,000 or 400,000 if married, or 60,000, 45,000 if married every month along with his 90 day reports.

A person under 50 now has to show £16,000 in a UK account or 400,000 baht in a thai account but must leave the country every 90 days and renew his/hers visa after the Max term which would be 15 months?

I may be wrong on some of my numbers but you get the gist.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

So what will be the difference to a guy who is under 50 years of age married to a thai.

A person over 50 on a retirement visa can stay as long as he has money in the bank 800,000 or 400,000 if married, or 60,000, 45,000 if married every month along with his 90 day reports.

A person under 50 now has to show £16,000 in a UK account or 400,000 baht in a thai account but must leave the country every 90 days and renew his/hers visa after the Max term which would be 15 months?

I may be wrong on some of my numbers but you get the gist.

For 50 or over for retirement should be 800k baht in bank, or 65k baht income, or a combination of the two if they are trying to make multiple entry O visa requirements equal to those needed for extension of stay here. The pound numbers shown are way off from current exchange rates.

For any age the numbers for those married to a Thai should be 400k baht in bank or 40k baht income. But the embassy website and info from Hull is using numbers for retirement numbers.

In my opinion numbers should be in baht instead of pounds. It would be easy to calculate the pounds number on the date of application.

In either case it makes no sense to get a multiple entry visa. It would be better to get an extension of stay. But some may have good reasons for getting a visa. An example would be a person working on rotation that would make it impossible to be in Thailand for annual extensions.

Edited by ubonjoe

It is also now very difficult for people like myself, still over 2 years away from my state pension, my private pension was fine, but I was getting 74 baht to the pound, then at only 40 something to the pound it is well short, a Multi '0' visiting friends was fine every 14 months, with 4 border trips...

Asking about just a single '0' needs a Bank account with over 400,000 baht proof !! many places simply say NO but will issue a TR Visa [Not married to a Thai Lady] ..... so another 28 months of trying to get back to back TR visa's = constant worry and searching where to go....... no wonder so many are on overstay..

The multiple-entry non-O visa to visit friends has not been available for quire some time.

What Thai consulate asked you for evidence of 400k Baht in a bank account for a single-entry non-O visa?

It is also now very difficult for people like myself, still over 2 years away from my state pension, my private pension was fine, but I was getting 74 baht to the pound, then at only 40 something to the pound it is well short, a Multi '0' visiting friends was fine every 14 months, with 4 border trips...

Asking about just a single '0' needs a Bank account with over 400,000 baht proof !! many places simply say NO but will issue a TR Visa [Not married to a Thai Lady] ..... so another 28 months of trying to get back to back TR visa's = constant worry and searching where to go....... no wonder so many are on overstay..

The multiple-entry non-O visa to visit friends has not been available for quire some time.

What Thai consulate asked you for evidence of 400k Baht in a bank account for a single-entry non-O visa?

3 Thai Consulates so far in phoning them in Asia, 2 said must show 200k and 1 in Malaysia said 400k.......... and that is for a single 90 day '0' Visa..

2003 - 2009 was on yearly extensions from Immigration, exchange rates kept going down, so managed 2 x yearly '0' before that got difficult to get, since then had to get back to back TR Visa's........ with all the latest tightening up, not at all sure how to get through the next 28 months, before my state pension..

Looks like a lot more phoning to do...email = No answer from Embassies or Consulates..... leaving it to a week before so hope there will not be a change to something new..

From what the OP says - what you have to do to get a visa now (assuming you're trying to show money in the bank).

1. Travel back in time to when you used to receive paper bank statements.

(Does anyone still receive paper bank statements in the UK?)

2. Be a total and utter idiot, and have £16,000 sitting in your current account, where any interest it will earn will be likely negligible, and what pittance you do receive will be taxed, rather than in an ISA where it will be tax exempt.

(I sold a flat and had some serious money arrive in my current account. Within an hour, the bank called me up to confirm the money was expected, and to get me to move it out of my current account on the basis that it was dangerous to leave a lot of money sitting in your current account).

But it's typical Thai goalpost moving.

I've always found the Embassy in the UK a painless place to pick up a multi-O visa because I just needed a copy of my wife's ID card, and our wedding registration and certificate. i.e. Proof that you're married to a Thai was enough to get a visa for being married to a Thai... If the OP is correct and the rule comes from the embassy, it will be annoying, like applying for a visa in Hong Kong is.

In Hong Kong, I once got a multi non-O with no issues (I have an HK ID card as I'm employed there for the time being), as I could show my HK bank statements. (I do still get paper statements from my HK bank account).However, the next time around, they decided it was my wife's bank statements from Thailand that I needed to show as, to quote embassy staff, "she was sponsoring me". i.e. My wife who doesn't work was in some way sponsoring me, the person with the job, and had to somehow show she had income to support me... blink.pngblink.pngblink.png

After that farce, I gave up applying in Hong Kong, and just applied the next time I was in London.

P.S. There are people who get multi Non-O visas, and never apply to extend for the year (with the corresponding financial requirements).

In 12 years, I've hit the 3 months 3 times. - In all cases, I had a flight planned within a month anyway, so applying for the full years permit to stay has never been an option. (as the re-entry permits I would need actually cost more than just buying new visas each year does. - and as I've never been employed in Thailand, there's no point being on a permit to stay, as it would never count towards PR or becoming a Thai National.

Ever heard of internet banking...it's the latest innovation that's been around for over a decade? One can easily print out any statements necessary to provide to any consulate or embassy to show ones financial status when applying for a visa.

A more basic question I have is why should Thailand grant the right to reside long-term to any foreigner who can't afford to place 16k pounds in a non-interest bearing account. I mean, that's not allot of money, especially for someone who fancies himself living in a foreign country.

It is when compared to most people coming INTO England.

You can hit the jackpot by just having a pulse! cheesy.gif

• Like 1

There have been several reports of Vientiane doing single O visa for being 50 or older with no financial proof needed.

Thanks, yes just wanted to go somewhere different, places I have never been to before for a few days and get a Visa at the same time...

My point being, it benefits you more, being over 50 years of age.

We all now have to show proof of income or a lump sum in the bank. Being under 50 years of age would still require leaving the country????

Ignis, you talked about a non-O visa to visit friends (not married to a Thai). Is this what you want from a Thai consulate in a neighbouring country?

Yes.

or somewhere different than Laos for a Double or triple TR Visa...

Have emailed all the Consulate's within a 7 hour flight, only 2 replied, [Perth and Kota Bharu] so starting the round of phone calls.. find it not easy as hard of hearing + do not want to make a mistake so ask one thing per phone call... Requirements for an '0' phone again asking if they do triple TR Visa or double etc... always the same English - Not married to a Thai - age 63

I do wonder sometimes if they do not want to commit to anything written down ?

not sure what luck will have for a 1 year '0' in Perth... ? [the counsel asked me to phone him] 2009 and 10 went to the old Consulate for yearly ones]

I didn't realise your were over 50 years old, Ignis. There's your chance for a multiple-entry non-O visa in Perth or Brisbane, as mentioned by Ubonjoe, but give them a call first in case they also had to change policy on pressure from their bosses.

As an alternative, do you know that you can combine income and money in the bank to meet the financial requirements for the retirement extension? From Police Order 777/2551, clause 2.22 (highlighting in bold is mine):

(3) Must have evidence of having income of no less than Baht 65,000 per month; or

(4) On the filing date, the applicant must have funds deposited in a bank in Thailand of no less than Baht 800,000 for the past three months. For the first year only, the applicant must have proof of a deposit account in which said amount of funds has been maintained for no less than 60 days prior to the filing date; or

(5) Must have an annual earning and funds deposited with a bank totaling no less than Baht 800,000 as of the filing date.

You will need the letter from your embassy regarding your income and the letter from your bank regarding your bank balance plus your Thai savings account book and a copy of it.

This doesn't seem to affect me directly YET as I travel to Savannakhet to get my non imm O, however, it does seem that I'm potentially at risk in the future.

I don't work in Thailand but I have a steady amount of money coming in to the country, I don't have any savings at all as it's pretty costly running a house with my wife, our son and I, we have a nice little life and we spend generously(hence no savings!), why should we feel worried and apprehensive about my visa situation in the future? We haven't done anything wrong, we feel like we're being punished :(

If you have an income of 40k per month you could extend and not be concerned with visas - but without that visas are required but have seen no issue getting single entry (which covers 90 days and can be extended 60 days) so expect you will be able to survive regardless - as you say at present a multi entry is still available to you.

at present yes, I'm still a little worried about the future though.

I've spent the last few years enjoying a short break in Phnom Penh every few months so I don't really like the idea of an extension and not having the chance to recharge my enthusiasm for Thailand during the few days I'm away.

I also can't prove my income as it's not from a single business but rather small private investments in a couple of different countries.

I actually just started a little interest in Phnom Penh as a fall-back plan, should things go tits up here...

If you are not in Thailand and are applying for a visa to enter Thailand, how is it they expect you to already have money in a Thai bank account before you get the visa when Thai banks require you to go there to open it in person first?

Do Thai embassies really expect something that is impossible or are the people posting here incorrect?

No, you don't need an account before you get here. You will open an account and put money as soon as you get here.

I have previously gone the non-O multiple route based on marriage and have not bothered with going the extension route here in Thailand. Reason - I travel back to the UK at least every 3 months so my preferred route is easier and was a no-brainer based on advice I previously received from you visa experts here. No monetary proof was required (hitherto) plus I get it all over once a year plus no need to get/pay for re-entry permits every time I fly out of Swampy. Oh and plus it only takes me an hour to pop over to Hull when back in the UK, so I can get one only a few days before I fly back to BKK.

I don't think that the monetary proof thing alters that overall conclusion of a preference for non-O for my personal circumstances. Anyone spot any logic flaws in my conclusions?

Plus while on-line. The proof of 800,000 baht equivalent for the last 3 months requirement - can the money can be in any account worldwide, or does it have to be in a Thai bank account?

....... it only takes me an hour to pop over to Hull when back in the UK, so I can get one only a few days before I fly back to BKK.

Now Hull cannot issue the Non Immigrant O Multi Entry straight away,they have to ask London for approval.Best doing your application by post and allowing sufficient time for the visa to be issued,rather than travelling to Hull I reckon ?

Sorry Stoneyboy but that is really poor advice.

Maybe you did get away with it, but from reading widely about obtaining bank accounts and driving licences before I did so myself it was clear that not all banks and not all driving license offices will accept such a low level of residence in Thailand. Provided the OP is prepared to hoof it around various banks and more than one amphur office (if he can show residence in more than one amphur) he might of course also get away with it, but he should be advised that he cannot expect to just walk in anywhere on an exemption stamp and get an account and license.

Am willing to be shot out f the water if others agree with your linesmile.png

....... it only takes me an hour to pop over to Hull when back in the UK, so I can get one only a few days before I fly back to BKK.

Now Hull cannot issue the Non Immigrant O Multi Entry straight away,they have to ask London for approval.Best doing your application by post and allowing sufficient time for the visa to be issued,rather than travelling to Hull I reckon ?

Agreed. I'll be sitting on the phone all today trying to get some better advice from them. Will post findings here if I get through - suspect they will be inundated.