Just received this from Hull. Another door slams shut..

If you are not in Thailand and are applying for a visa to enter Thailand, how is it they expect you to already have money in a Thai bank account before you get the visa when Thai banks require you to go there to open it in person first?

Do Thai embassies really expect something that is impossible or are the people posting here incorrect?

Who said "Thai bank account" ?

I have not seen that mentioned on this topic.

UK bank deposits, and UK income to a UK bank account, are what a visa application will be based on. Only extensions require bank balances to be in Thailand.

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Surely this is not the entire story. It sounds to me you are dealing with an agent of some description. Better to get this type information direct from the Thai consulate themselves rather than having everyone just guess what your needs are. The visa requirements are different depending upon your nationality and the country in which make that application. There is no short cuts, but you’re better of making that Visa application in the country of your nationality.

We have received your application for a one year visa but along with your marriage certificate we now have to also see a bank statement to show a lump sum of £16,000 or a monthly income of £1,300 a month this must be in a current account and not isa’s or investments, this is required by the Thai Embassy in London who now have to approve all one yea visa’s, please advise if you can forward a statement.

Copy of the letter I received from Hull. Seems that they cannot agree on the monthly amounts, even amongst staff from the same consulate!

Btw, I forwarded bank statements to cover the required amount, unfortunatley they were online statements, no address, deemed unacceptable!

Also according to a conversation with the consulate, ONLY money in a current bank account can be considered. Rental agreements proving an income are OUT.

Oh, and no grandfather clause for those married before the date of these changes.

As I am leaving the UK on 17th, flights booked, I have to settle for a 6mth multi entry tourist visa, just to ensure I get my passport back in time. Now anxiously awaiting the mailman.......

• Like 1

Surely this is not the entire story. It sounds to me you are dealing with an agent of some description. Better to get this type information direct from the Thai consulate themselves rather than having everyone just guess what your needs are. The visa requirements are different depending upon your nationality and the country in which make that application. There is no short cuts, but youre better of making that Visa application in the country of your nationality.

I am a British citizen writing this from England and dealing with the conulate directly. I am off for a hospital appointment now, but will contact Hull later on and post back.

• Like 1

If you are not in Thailand and are applying for a visa to enter Thailand, how is it they expect you to already have money in a Thai bank account before you get the visa when Thai banks require you to go there to open it in person first?

Do Thai embassies really expect something that is impossible or are the people posting here incorrect?

Who said "Thai bank account" ?

I have not seen that mentioned on this topic.

UK bank deposits, and UK income to a UK bank account, are what a visa application will be based on. Only extensions require bank balances to be in Thailand.

Ok. But if you go to live in Thailand then why would you need to show UK income? How exactly would you still be getting paid in the UK when you are in Thailand? Do UK companies pay their staff to take a year holiday? (I'm not referring to retirees but other visa applicants)

Edited by Time Traveller

Why would you need to show this income when a multiple entry is basically the same as a triple entry anyway. You would need to do a Cambodia trip every three months with either of them. You need an 0 visa if you are applying for a retirement visa, marriage visa etc, but if you are just coming here and are happy to leave the country every three months what is point of having to prove you are retired, married etc etc, and why would you need to prove your income when these visas are essentially tourist visas anyway.

• Like 1

Seems appropriate to me; never understood the disparity in funds required between a married man's visa/visa extension and a single man's. If anything, it should be the reverse.

It's good to see in any case that Thai embassies and consulates are not handing out visas like candy to children at Easter.

There is a big difference, i'm sure if you think hard enough you could understand.

I've lived in Thailand too long so I don't like to think very hard as it gives me a headache.

• Like 1

I think most ladies in Bangkok will make around 300,000 + baht a year plus have benefits. That is pay plus year end bonus which is sometimes 6 months pay or more. Not all girls are poor farmers

No not all farmers but even girls with OK jobs aren't usually making 25,000B per month so unlikely they'll make 300k a year.

10-20k seems normal among everyone I know doing a wide range of jobs from nursing to office worker to IT to major events organiser and everything in between.

300,000 is a very good number, maybe low. I have lived and worked in Thailand for 18 years. Held positions as director of engineering, managing director, project manager, technical manager. I know what i am talking about! I know hundreds of ladies working in Thailand, educated, and 90 % make that or lots more. One I know just finished school and her first accounting job is paying 17,000 a month = 204,000. Plus last year that company paid a 6 month bonus ( most get 3 to 6 months) = 102,000 . So her year pay is more than likely 306,000 baht and she is right out of school. I know many making 20 to 30 with a year bonus at the end. Many making 80 to 100k who hold high level management jobs. I do not know 1 person making less that 10k who lives in Bangkok. Even government jobs are now required to pay 15,000 and there is normally a bonus at the end of the year. Even bar girls make 300k or more a year.

I think you are talking about a subject you know nothing about.

Why would you need to show this income when a multiple entry is basically the same as a triple entry anyway. You would need to do a Cambodia trip every three months with either of them. You need an 0 visa if you are applying for a retirement visa, marriage visa etc, but if you are just coming here and are happy to leave the country every three months what is point of having to prove you are retired, married etc etc, and why would you need to prove your income when these visas are essentially tourist visas anyway.

So how do I get the other 73 days ? and what if I want to go out of Thailand, say, six times to visit other countries ?

How long you can stay in Thailand on a double Triple tourist Visa
  • On arrival in Thailand granted 60 day stay
  • 30 days extension given at immigration office in Thailand
  • Border Run
  • Border Run
  • 7 Days extension given at immigration office in Thailand

Total amount of time given on a Thai triple entry tourist visa can be up to 292 days if used correctly.

• Like 1

Sorry if I sound pedantic but the OP makes no mention of his finances having to be in a Thai bank account.

He is applying for an 'O' visa outside of Thailand, not an extension of stay.

From my own experience of applying for a non imm 'O' visa (albeit in China) I was asked for proof of funds (equivalent to 800,000baht) in any bank for over 3 months, the bank statement must have both the address of the bank and applicant. This was 4 months ago.

Maybe they are now being more strict in the UK about issuing visas under the non imm 'O' category?

Yes I suppose it matters what category non-immigrant O visa one is applying for. For my visiting family multi-entry O, all I need to show is US$ 2000 in my USA bank and documentary proof of my family member living in Thailand.

whistling.gif Regarding the "new" standards for multi entry Non O visas .... many people saw this coming for at least 6 months now.

Note that Hull did NOT say they wouldn't issue a multi entry Non O, they simply said they had to clear it first through the embassy for approval. Presumably you can still get one from Hull if the embassy in London approves it first.

They also limited their remarks to a multi entry Non O visa .... they did NOT say they could not issue a single entry 90 day Non O visa.

It is likely that you will soon start to see the same restrictions that Hull announced being enforced in other Thai honorary consulates in the U.K.

The reason for this is to shift the control of this type of visa to the embassy, and take the control of issuing them away from the honorary consulates.

Bottom line: the embassy wants to be in charge of issuing these visas and NOT the consulates.

Learn to deal with it, it's going to be the policy everywhere soon.

I very much expect that people who are refused for a non O multi entry (1 year validity) will soon routinely be offered a 90 day Non O single entry instead, and will be told to then do the extension paperwork (marriage extension, retirement extension, Ed "visa: extension, etc.) in their local immigration office in Thailand.

The reason for that change is because the immigration has decided to rake away the control of issuing this type of visa from the honorary consulates and put that control in the hands of the official Thai embassy offices and also the immigration offices in Thailand instead.

For Americans, I also think that soon the same standards will be enforced there. That means honorary consulates like Portland, Dallas, and so on will soon have to get approval through the Thai embassy in Washington, D.C. for multi entry visas as well.

For some history....the original honorary consulate general in Hull was given a special status because of his aid to the Thai Royal family during and after WWII. That's how he was appointed the honorary consulate. He retired quite a few years ago but the post was passed on to (I believe) his son. His son retired in 2010.

So, now Hull is just another Thai honorary consulate office, like the others in the U.K.

Therefore it now no longer has any special status.

whistling.gif

• Like 1

Have just done my NON O Multy entry on the basis of being married to a Thai at Hull on the 17th August, and all I had to send was a copy of our marriage certificate and a copy of my wife,s ID Card which were returned to me with my visa in four days

• Like 2

I think most ladies in Bangkok will make around 300,000 + baht a year plus have benefits. That is pay plus year end bonus which is sometimes 6 months pay or more. Not all girls are poor farmers

No not all farmers but even girls with OK jobs aren't usually making 25,000B per month so unlikely they'll make 300k a year.

10-20k seems normal among everyone I know doing a wide range of jobs from nursing to office worker to IT to major events organiser and everything in between.

300,000 is a very good number, maybe low. I have lived and worked in Thailand for 18 years. Held positions as director of engineering, managing director, project manager, technical manager. I know what i am talking about! I know hundreds of ladies working in Thailand, educated, and 90 % make that or lots more. One I know just finished school and her first accounting job is paying 17,000 a month = 204,000. Plus last year that company paid a 6 month bonus ( most get 3 to 6 months) = 102,000 . So her year pay is more than likely 306,000 baht and she is right out of school. I know many making 20 to 30 with a year bonus at the end. Many making 80 to 100k who hold high level management jobs. I do not know 1 person making less that 10k who lives in Bangkok. Even government jobs are now required to pay 15,000 and there is normally a bonus at the end of the year. Even bar girls make 300k or more a year.

So your sample size is "hundreds" of ladies...who live/work in bangkok...and have college degrees. Yes, definitely a very representative group on which to base opinions on the salaries of women in the Thai workforce. And did you say people have actually paid you to manage their businesses?[/quoted

Read my post before you comment!

We are talking about Bangkok and yes, I think my sample size is fine. Do you know anything about Thailand and the people who work here in real jobs. I am not talking about your 16 year old girl working 7/11 or the student working McDs as those are not the ones who would be marrying a farang. Factory workers maybe make a little less but most are making 300,000k or more. Unlike in the Uk or USA Normally there is a huge end of year bonus. Bankers use to get 100% or more of their yearly pay as a bonus. Most if not All Thais get a bonus and that is included.

I must say that a little drive today through Jomtien and into Pattaya for a meeting was proof to me that these rules need to be enforced. I know we should not judge books by covers but its obvious that the jaywalking drunks, rude skanks on 20 year old mopeds havnt got two happenies to rub together and good riddance to bad rubbish.

• Like 1

Follow up on post #44 by IMA_FARANG.

Some European countries have honorary consulates in Thailand with Thai nationals
as consuls. These consuls are not allowed to issue visas for Schengen countries.
Only the consulates connected with the embassies can issue visas.

So your sample size is "hundreds" of ladies...who live/work in bangkok...and have college degrees. Yes, definitely a very representative group on which to base opinions on the salaries of women in the Thai workforce. And did you say people have actually paid you to manage their businesses?[/quoted

Read my post before you comment!

We are talking about Bangkok and yes, I think my sample size is fine. Do you know anything about Thailand and the people who work here in real jobs. I am not talking about your 16 year old girl working 7/11 or the student working McDs as those are not the ones who would be marrying a farang. Factory workers maybe make a little less but most are making 300,000k or more. Unlike in the Uk or USA Normally there is a huge end of year bonus. Bankers use to get 100% or more of their yearly pay as a bonus. Most if not All Thais get a bonus and that is included.

According to the Thai government's oven statistics, the average income in Thailand is about US$ 6000 equivalent, or about half the figures you cite. In Bangkok it may be a little higher. I'm glad all the Thai women in your work/social circle are doing so well but they are not representative of the country.

So your sample size is "hundreds" of ladies...who live/work in bangkok...and have college degrees. Yes, definitely a very representative group on which to base opinions on the salaries of women in the Thai workforce. And did you say people have actually paid you to manage their businesses?

FYI

www.un.or.th/thailand/population.html

The per capita income in Bangkok is almost triple the national average of US$ 8,135 per year (2009).

Maybe the Thai foreign ministry is getting serious about applying a uniform visa policy in the UK, rather than allowing honorary consulates to be more lenient. There doesn't seem to be much point in allowing the honorary consuls to issue visas anyway, since most of the applications are by post. They might open an outsource centre for visas anywhere in the UK in future and leave the Hull consulate to deal with Thai students who get homesick at Hull uni and hand out TAT travel brochures to local trawlermen.

The UK will not issue even tourist visas for Thais unless they can demonstrate strong motivation to return to Thailand, which usually means they need to show evidence that they have a job worth returning to. They will certainly not entertain the idea of a visa that can be indefinitely extended to someone who can show modest savings but no job and no other visible means of support.

I heard rumours about Hull wanting proof of funds so I emailed them specifically asking if I needed to have a certain amount of money in the bank to gain a multi non imm O based on marriage to a Thai as I have received them from Hull, London and other consulates for the last 11 years without showing any proof.

Their reply on Aug 29 was -

Hello

Please see attached form, if you are married to a Thai national a copy of your Thai marriage certificate is required along with a copy of her thai id card or thai passport.

Regards

Pauline Murden

In the attached file Abb Additional Evidence for Non-Immigrant Visas 31.08.12 there is no mention of funds being required.

Abb 31.08.12
2/3
Category “O”
--------------------------

Married to a Thai national.
Evidence required:
If married in Thailand:
Copies of Original Thai Marriage Certificate and Thai ID Card or Thai Passport.
If married in UK:
Copies of Original UK Marriage Certificate and Thai ID Card or Thai Passport.
Either a single or multiple entry visa can be granted in these circumstances.

Aba Visa Application Pack 03.09.12.doc

Abb Additional Evidence for Non-Immigrant Visas 31.08.12.doc

Have just done my NON O Multy entry on the basis of being married to a Thai at Hull on the 17th August, and all I had to send was a copy of our marriage certificate and a copy of my wife,s ID Card which were returned to me with my visa in four days

This is what it was for me 2 years ago.

In fact, it was only my marriage certificate.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Posted 6 minutes ago

I heard rumours about Hull wanting proof of funds so I emailed them specifically asking if I needed to have a certain amount of money in the bank to gain a multi non imm O based on marriage to a Thai as I have received them from Hull, London and other consulates for the last 11 years without showing any proof.

Their reply on Aug 29 was -

Hello

Please see attached form, if you are married to a Thai national a copy of your Thai marriage certificate is required along with a copy of her thai id card or thai passport.

Regards

Pauline Murden

In the attached file Abb Additional Evidence for Non-Immigrant Visas 31.08.12 there is no mention of funds being required.

Abb 31.08.12

2/3

Category “O”

--------------------------

Married to a Thai national.

Evidence required:

If married in Thailand:

Copies of Original Thai Marriage Certificate and Thai ID Card or Thai Passport.

If married in UK:

Copies of Original UK Marriage Certificate and Thai ID Card or Thai Passport.

Either a single or multiple entry visa can be granted in these circumstances.

That was on August 29th, these new rules came into force as from yesterday, i called Hull Thai consulate around 30 minutes ago and had the new financial requirements confirmed to me. For a Multi entry Non O visa based on marriage you now need to show £16,000 in a UK Current account or an income of £1,400 a month.

• Like 1

this money needs to be in a UK bank not Thai as you are applying in the UK

Like I've already mentioned on another thread, this is going to drive a lot of people who have been getting correct visa's for years underground - it doesn't affect me personally but I suspect there are many it will

I just read this entire thread wondering if this will affect me, I'm married to a Thai national, we have 1 child together, I always assumed my non-o visa was for 'visiting' family(my son in this case), is it actually issued to me based on our marriage?

I used to get my visas in Phnom Penh but most recently had to travel to savannakhet to get the multiple entry visa, will these new rules affect me?

Sent from my GT-N7000B

The two problems I see with these requirements are

1. They have not stated that a combination of income and funds can be used - although I would assume they can - yet to be clarified

2. They have stated that the funds need to be in a current account - who wants to have 14k+ Sterling sitting in a current account not earning interest, most people manage their funds to maximise what little interest banks are paying right now, however this could amount to a significant amount if interest rates were to rise - quite possible in the next 2 years, that is quite honestly ridiculous - they are really taking the piss, completely uncalled for and wrong - even if money is tied up in investments like ISA's etc it can still be accessed and used if required