Just received this from Hull. Another door slams shut..

Notice on the Hull website, was not there last time I looked

News

The Royal Thai Consulate

++IMPORTANT NOTICE++
ALL NON IMMIGRANT MULTIPLE ENTRY VISA APPLICATIONS MUST NOW BE APPROVED BY THE EMBASSY IN LONDON BEFORE THIS OFFICE CAN ISSUE THEM. THIS MEANS THAT THE PROCESS OF ISSUING SUCH VISAS TAKES AT LEAST 24 HOURS FROM RECEIPT OF APPLICATION. THEREFORE IT IS NOT POSSIBLE TO ISSUE SUCH VISAS "WHILE-YOU-WAIT".

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From what the OP says - what you have to do to get a visa now (assuming you're trying to show money in the bank).

1. Travel back in time to when you used to receive paper bank statements.

(Does anyone still receive paper bank statements in the UK?)

2. Be a total and utter idiot, and have £16,000 sitting in your current account, where any interest it will earn will be likely negligible, and what pittance you do receive will be taxed, rather than in an ISA where it will be tax exempt.

(I sold a flat and had some serious money arrive in my current account. Within an hour, the bank called me up to confirm the money was expected, and to get me to move it out of my current account on the basis that it was dangerous to leave a lot of money sitting in your current account).

But it's typical Thai goalpost moving.

I've always found the Embassy in the UK a painless place to pick up a multi-O visa because I just needed a copy of my wife's ID card, and our wedding registration and certificate. i.e. Proof that you're married to a Thai was enough to get a visa for being married to a Thai... If the OP is correct and the rule comes from the embassy, it will be annoying, like applying for a visa in Hong Kong is.

In Hong Kong, I once got a multi non-O with no issues (I have an HK ID card as I'm employed there for the time being), as I could show my HK bank statements. (I do still get paper statements from my HK bank account).However, the next time around, they decided it was my wife's bank statements from Thailand that I needed to show as, to quote embassy staff, "she was sponsoring me". i.e. My wife who doesn't work was in some way sponsoring me, the person with the job, and had to somehow show she had income to support me... blink.pngblink.pngblink.png

After that farce, I gave up applying in Hong Kong, and just applied the next time I was in London.

P.S. There are people who get multi Non-O visas, and never apply to extend for the year (with the corresponding financial requirements).

In 12 years, I've hit the 3 months 3 times. - In all cases, I had a flight planned within a month anyway, so applying for the full years permit to stay has never been an option. (as the re-entry permits I would need actually cost more than just buying new visas each year does. - and as I've never been employed in Thailand, there's no point being on a permit to stay, as it would never count towards PR or becoming a Thai National.

Edited by bkk_mike

So what about the guys who are younger than 50 but married to a Thai?

Do we still have to show any income?

That's daft.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Yes - For a Multi entry Non O visa based on marriage you now need to show £16,000 in a UK Current account or an income of £1,400 a month.

Sounds perfectly reasonable - otherwise you are really only a tourist. If you are staying for any length of time then the normal financial rules are perfectly fair.

Sounds to me that Hull have been called into line.

Everybody who has ever used that office knows that it was never the hardest place to get a visa. I think they had been tightening things up, but I guess they were still viewed as too "friendly"...

Everybody who has ever used that office knows that it was never the hardest place to get a visa. I think they had been tightening things up, but I guess they were still viewed as too "friendly"...

I sent my Non-Imm O marriage application to Hull a few months ago while in the UK, posted it on Tuesday and passport with visa was back with me on Thursday smile.png

I sent my Non-Imm O marriage application to Hull a few months ago while in the UK, posted it on Tuesday and passport with visa was back with me on Thursday smile.png

So what will you do in 10/13 months time ?

I guess Thailand is getting a little tired of 'down and out' farangs.

“We are starting to see more and more homeless foreigners, many of whom have separated from their Thai wives and now have no money,”

Not too unreasonable to want to see visible means of support, to include liquidity (i.e., money in a current account).

But, I suspect, most of the farangs in question are in overstay of their visa -- or visa exempt -- entries. Making it harder to get proper visas will just cause more visa exempt entries -- with subsequent overstays.

But, I can't begrudge the Thais for trying to clean up the trash.

If you are not in Thailand and are applying for a visa to enter Thailand, how is it they expect you to already have money in a Thai bank account before you get the visa when Thai banks require you to go there to open it in person first?

Do Thai embassies really expect something that is impossible or are the people posting here incorrect?

Hull asks for 3 mths statements from British bank or BS showing required income, with your name and British address on it. Thats all for multiple entry 'O' for over 50 retirement. If over 65, u just need UK state pension statement -It says no minimum income requirement for this on their website.

Edited by SunsetT

They have just confirmed single entry O visas are still available.

• That's great news as if you didn't have the full £16,000 available to get the Multi Non O here then as long as you have 400,000 Baht in a Thai Bank account so you could enter on a Single entry O then apply for extension of stay / get a Multi Non O there where only the 400,000 is required to show...at least i think thats possible ??...anyway maybe the Thai's will bump up the 400,000 in Thai Bank account to 800,000 soon !!
Edited by NEWMAN2930

If you are not in Thailand and are applying for a visa to enter Thailand, how is it they expect you to already have money in a Thai bank account before you get the visa when Thai banks require you to go there to open it in person first?

Do Thai embassies really expect something that is impossible or are the people posting here incorrect?

Hull asks for 3 mths statements from British bank or BS showing required income, with your name and British address on it. Thats all for multiple entry 'O' for over 50 retirement. If over 65, u just need UK state pension statement -It says no minimum income requirement for this on their website.

That was correct up until YESTERDAY, the rules for a Multi enrty Non O based on marriage is now the same as for retirement, EG: Need to show £16,000 in a UK bank account

It's also a little unfair if you are just about to apply for a NIMO visa to expect you to have your finances exactly as they want them (3 months in current account) - which for some people could mean moving money around from different accounts to show the amount required in a current account - they should at least have given notice of these changes 3 months in advance so people could prepare, I have a private pension at age 53 that falls slightly short of their requirements but would still require me to have a few thousand quid in my current account for the 3 required months but going strictly by these rules I wouldn't qualify - I don't need a visa until October but this is now September - they haven't really thought this through have they ?

Why would you need to show this income when a multiple entry is basically the same as a triple entry anyway. You would need to do a Cambodia trip every three months with either of them. You need an 0 visa if you are applying for a retirement visa, marriage visa etc, but if you are just coming here and are happy to leave the country every three months what is point of having to prove you are retired, married etc etc, and why would you need to prove your income when these visas are essentially tourist visas anyway.

So how do I get the other 73 days ? and what if I want to go out of Thailand, say, six times to visit other countries ?

How long you can stay in Thailand on a double Triple tourist Visa
  • On arrival in Thailand granted 60 day stay
  • 30 days extension given at immigration office in Thailand
  • Border Run
  • Border Run
  • 7 Days extension given at immigration office in Thailand

Total amount of time given on a Thai triple entry tourist visa can be up to 292 days if used correctly.

292 days is unrelistic & assume you adding another 15days at end too.

Most people will loose handful of days as visa runs from date of issue & most people don't magically land in thailand same day of issue so they unable to utilise the full potential of the first 2 entries & extensions as the visa would expire thus 3rd entry lost.

Point is valid though that Tripple tourist could be useful for some & give a reasonable amount of stay without the headache of full 1year visa options ...

The two problems I see with these requirements are

1. They have not stated that a combination of income and funds can be used - although I would assume they can - yet to be clarified

2. They have stated that the funds need to be in a current account - who wants to have 14k+ Sterling sitting in a current account not earning interest, most people manage their funds to maximise what little interest banks are paying right now, however this could amount to a significant amount if interest rates were to rise - quite possible in the next 2 years, that is quite honestly ridiculous - they are really taking the piss, completely uncalled for and wrong - even if money is tied up in investments like ISA's etc it can still be accessed and used if required

Normally I would agree with you but at the moment the best interest rate on savings other than fixed term is the Santander 123 current account which I think will pay 3% on funds up to £20,000. Bizarre but true.

The two problems I see with these requirements are

1. They have not stated that a combination of income and funds can be used - although I would assume they can - yet to be clarified

2. They have stated that the funds need to be in a current account - who wants to have 14k+ Sterling sitting in a current account not earning interest, most people manage their funds to maximise what little interest banks are paying right now, however this could amount to a significant amount if interest rates were to rise - quite possible in the next 2 years, that is quite honestly ridiculous - they are really taking the piss, completely uncalled for and wrong - even if money is tied up in investments like ISA's etc it can still be accessed and used if required

Normally I would agree with you but at the moment the best interest rate on savings other than fixed term is the Santander 123 current account which I think will pay 3% on funds up to £20,000. Bizarre but true.

fully aware of that and I'm in the process of moving, but this BS is going to make that a pain in the Ars - why should applying for a Visa involve me having to jump through hoops and move my private savings around just for them - it is a step beyond anything reasonable - I can show them several accounts with a total balance well in excess of over 100k - that should be more than enough to satisfy any financial requirements - it is BS but what else can you expect from LOS

Grrrrrrrrrrrr

I've just looked on the Birmingham consulate web site and it has certainly changed in it's layout from a month or two ago. All multi non immigrant visas are now banded together with a list of requirements and you have to take out the parts relevant to your type of visa and supply those documents. There are no finance requirements listed that are marriage and/or retirement specific but there is a general statement. The statement is very vague and simply says:

- Evidence of adequate finance ( 20,000 Baht per person and 40,000 Baht per family )

Birmingham has always been a 'quiet' consulate that's never had the 'easy to get visa' reputation that Hull has had but things are certainly changing and it seems all consulates are having to toe the line. The difference in the financial requirement statement between the two consulates is interesting though.

The multiple-entry non-O visa was never intended to allow a foreigner married to a Thai to live in Thailand long term, using back-to back entries with one-day border runs, but it appears that it is often used for this purpose. It is unusual but it happens that a foreigner and his Thai wife do not live under the same roof, for whatever reason, and it is for such situations where the foreigner lives and works outside Thailand and frequently visits his wife in Thailand that the multiple-entry non-O is, among other purposes, designed. To live with his wife long term in Thailand, the foreigner is expected to get one-year extensions in Thailand and for this he can start with a single-entry non-O visa to travel to Thailand.

From what the OP says - what you have to do to get a visa now (assuming you're trying to show money in the bank).

1. Travel back in time to when you used to receive paper bank statements.

(Does anyone still receive paper bank statements in the UK?)

2. Be a total and utter idiot, and have £16,000 sitting in your current account, where any interest it will earn will be likely negligible, and what pittance you do receive will be taxed, rather than in an ISA where it will be tax exempt.

(I sold a flat and had some serious money arrive in my current account. Within an hour, the bank called me up to confirm the money was expected, and to get me to move it out of my current account on the basis that it was dangerous to leave a lot of money sitting in your current account).

But it's typical Thai goalpost moving.

I've always found the Embassy in the UK a painless place to pick up a multi-O visa because I just needed a copy of my wife's ID card, and our wedding registration and certificate. i.e. Proof that you're married to a Thai was enough to get a visa for being married to a Thai... If the OP is correct and the rule comes from the embassy, it will be annoying, like applying for a visa in Hong Kong is.

In Hong Kong, I once got a multi non-O with no issues (I have an HK ID card as I'm employed there for the time being), as I could show my HK bank statements. (I do still get paper statements from my HK bank account).However, the next time around, they decided it was my wife's bank statements from Thailand that I needed to show as, to quote embassy staff, "she was sponsoring me". i.e. My wife who doesn't work was in some way sponsoring me, the person with the job, and had to somehow show she had income to support me... blink.pngblink.pngblink.png

After that farce, I gave up applying in Hong Kong, and just applied the next time I was in London.

P.S. There are people who get multi Non-O visas, and never apply to extend for the year (with the corresponding financial requirements).

In 12 years, I've hit the 3 months 3 times. - In all cases, I had a flight planned within a month anyway, so applying for the full years permit to stay has never been an option. (as the re-entry permits I would need actually cost more than just buying new visas each year does. - and as I've never been employed in Thailand, there's no point being on a permit to stay, as it would never count towards PR or becoming a Thai National.

Ever heard of internet banking...it's the latest innovation that's been around for over a decade? One can easily print out any statements necessary to provide to any consulate or embassy to show ones financial status when applying for a visa.

A more basic question I have is why should Thailand grant the right to reside long-term to any foreigner who can't afford to place 16k pounds in a non-interest bearing account. I mean, that's not allot of money, especially for someone who fancies himself living in a foreign country.

Edited by OMGImInPattaya

This topic started out about getting a multiple entry non-o based upon marriage.

The info on embassy website is wrong and Hull seems to be using that. I would be sending emails to the Embassy and informing them of the error rather than posting on here about it.

As I wrote earlier even the amount in pounds is wrong using recent exchange rates.

And the door has not closed completely. Savannakhet is still doing them with no financials needed. Penang is also a possibility.

• Like 1

if they make to much fuss ,just leave ,sell up ,lot warm counties without all the problems, just my thoughts ,thais once they are in the west ,can work ,can stay for life ,no problems ,no visas every year ,about time thailand was the same for us if you make your home there

It depends on the reason they are asking for the Non-O multi's; the OP refers to the case of it being based on marriage to a Thai. Moving to another country doesn't help in this case unless you can bring your Thai wife (& family?) with you.

Or would show that you have no commitment to the marriage union and therefore wouldn't deserve the Non-O anyway..............wink.png

"If you are married to a Thai national as well as your marriage certificate and wife's ID card/passport the Embassy wish to see a copy of 3 months bank statements showing the equivalent to 800,000 Baht (£16,000 approx) or a monthly income of 65,000 (£1,400) Baht per month".

It does appear that the figures quoted from Hull don't seem to be correct for the issue of a Non-O multiply entry based on visiting/supporting a Thai wife/family, unless this is now the policy for the issue of multi entry Non-O's across the board. At the exchange rate (at this time) the figures would be as follows:

800,000 Baht = 15,833 GBP

16,000 GBP = 808,405 Baht

1,400 GBP = 70,735 Baht

If it is a financial burden to people to meet these figures, the logical approach would be to apply for a single Non-O, travel to your immigration office in Thailand and extend on the basis of marriage and meet the 400,000 baht lump sum or 45,000 (?) baht income a month requirement. Make that a multi-entry and renew every year. Figures for that today would be:

400,000 Baht = 7,916 GBP

45,000 Baht = 890.642 GBP

Unless of course the figures quoted in the OP are a heads-up to a change to financial requirements for a dependency visa extension?

The multiple-entry non-O visa was never intended to allow a foreigner married to a Thai to live in Thailand long term, using back-to back entries with one-day border runs, but it appears that it is often used for this purpose. It is unusual but it happens that a foreigner and his Thai wife do not live under the same roof, for whatever reason, and it is for such situations where the foreigner lives and works outside Thailand and frequently visits his wife in Thailand that the multiple-entry non-O is, among other purposes, designed. To live with his wife long term in Thailand, the foreigner is expected to get one-year extensions in Thailand and for this he can start with a single-entry non-O visa to travel to Thailand.

But there are a lot of people in a similar situation to myself. I've spent most of each year since 2004 living in Thailand with my Thai wife but I (we) have had to go back to the UK every year for periods ranging from one month to six months. I could extend my non 'o' visa each year but I would then have to ask immigration to stamp my passport to allow my return on that extension, and I wasn't sure how long I was going to be in the UK each time. Somebody at Si Racha immigration (who probably didn't want the hassle) told me to just get a new multi non 'o' visa each time I went back to the UK so that's what I've been doing. Ironically I don't need to go back again so I was about to get an extension based on marriage anyway.

Have to go back to UK in two working days time and must get new non-O while in the UK for a week. Have plenty of dosh in Thai and UK banks but:

* Thai stuff is all done by passbook - no address. I don't get bank statements and web-site statements don't show adresses

* UK stuff is all online and web-site statements don't show addresses

Practical advice please - can I call into my local Kantaralak Krungsri branch and get a statement with my Thai address on it covering my deposit account that is registered at Bangkok Krungsri, to be received over the counter same or next working day?

Can I call by my base bank Krungsri in Thonglor Bangkok day of flight and get the required statement?

Will HSBC UK hand out statements out over the counter with addresses on them - my prior experience is that they only post them and posting delays can be a working week.

I appreciate any experience members have - obviously I can make the calls myself when the working week starts, but time is running out fast and it would be useful to get some idea in advance. Thank goodness I saw this thread. I could have been well stuffed visiting Hull with only a few days left in the UK based on info that I got two weeks ago that is now out of date.

Typical bluddy Thais - change things overnight with no advance warning. Nobody gives a <removed> for planning here! Love the place and my Thais to bits but sometimes the culture drives you mad!

[sorry - just finished going a second time round the ridiculous merry go round to get my Bangkok condo electricity bill paid direct by the bank (the first failed and neither bank or electricity company will say why). It's a 5 minute online job in the UK: Thailand - a 3 office visit (pay latest bill locally/visit bank/hand in stamped application at electricity head office) and 40 clicks of urban/semi-urban driving.]

Amazing Thailand w00t.gif

It is also now very difficult for people like myself, still over 2 years away from my state pension, my private pension was fine, but I was getting 74 baht to the pound, then at only 40 something to the pound it is well short, a Multi '0' visiting friends was fine every 14 months, with 4 border trips...

Asking about just a single '0' needs a Bank account with over 400,000 baht proof !! many places simply say NO but will issue a TR Visa [Not married to a Thai Lady] ..... so another 28 months of trying to get back to back TR visa's = constant worry and searching where to go....... no wonder so many are on overstay..

Practical advice please - can I call into my local Kantaralak Krungsri branch and get a statement with my Thai address on it covering my deposit account that is registered at Bangkok Krungsri, to be received over the counter same or next working day?

Not that Bank but have done with my Bank in Thailand, pick up next day... 300 baht charge

Have to go back to UK in two working days time and must get new non-O while in the UK for a week. Have plenty of dosh in Thai and UK banks but:

* Thai stuff is all done by passbook - no address. I don't get bank statements and web-site statements don't show adresses

Can I call by my base bank Krungsri in Thonglor Bangkok day of flight and get the required statement?

Will HSBC UK hand out statements out over the counter with addresses on them - my prior experience is that they only post them and posting delays can be a working week.

I appreciate any experience members have - obviously I can make the calls myself when the working week starts, but time is running out fast and it would be useful to get some idea in advance. Thank goodness I saw this thread. I could have been well stuffed visiting Hull with only a few days left in the UK based on info that I got two weeks ago that is now out of date.

Typical bluddy Thais - change things overnight with no advance warning. Nobody gives a <removed> for planning here! Love the place and my Thais to bits but sometimes the culture drives you mad!

[sorry - just finished going a second time round the ridiculous merry go round to get my Bangkok condo electricity bill paid direct by the bank (the first failed and neither bank or electricity company will say why). It's a 5 minute online job in the UK: Thailand - a 3 office visit (pay latest bill locally/visit bank/hand in stamped application at electricity head office) and 40 clicks of urban/semi-urban driving.]

Amazing Thailand w00t.gif

OK, this was back in August but I used HSBC online statements to evidence income. I checked first with Hull and their requirement was for sort code and account number to be displayed. They were not interested in the address - nor should they be, it has no relevance to the financial information.

I would recommend that you call the Thai embassy (presumably London as you are only there for one week) and ask them if the online print will be OK (as it shows bank account details). Talk through any other requirements they may have so you know you can comply when you go there. Because you have the 'dosh' you should not have any difficulty in evidencing the required amounts. If you have cash balances in Thailand take the passbooks etc with you. If you have an income source also take evidence of that - it is all supporting information and should be unnecessary if the online bank statements are acceptable, You have one bite at the cherry so it is perhaps best to take more than you actually need.

Good Luck.

• Like 1

Amazing Thailand Posted Image

How about getting a letter from bank like they do for extensions. Then just print out a online statement just before you apply for the visa.

Drop the emphasis on addresses - nowhere is this a requirement for a visa application in the UK.

Note the following from the embassy website:-

1. The Embassy is open for Visa application from Monday - Friday from 09.00 - 12.30 hrs, the last appointment ticket is issued at 12pm. (except for Embassy's public holiday). No appointment is required. It takes 2 working days to process a visa.
2. Successful applicants can collect their passport and visa from 11.00 - 12.00 hrs., two days after the date of their application. Anyone with the receipt can collect visa on behalf of applicants.
3. Visa fee must be paid in pound sterling (£) and in cash or postal order only.
4. The applicant's passport must have at least 6 month validity on the applying date.

Category "O" To visit Thai spouse, children, parents or voluntary job. Category "O" with multiple entries

Pension earners or Applicants over 50 years of age, following document is required;

- Pension statement if the applicant is a pension earner, or

- Proof of income with a minimum of £1,400.00 per month or

- Thai Spouse visa with a copy of marriage certificate and passport or Thai ID of spouse and (3 months bank statement showing monthly income of more than

£1,400.00 or £16,500 anuually for those who have been issue category O with multiple entries)

i don't think that the Thai embassy is there to "çatch you out" or send you away (a la Thai immigration) if a statement does not have today's date on. If you have reasonable evidence, that satisfies the above requirements, I am sure you will be successful.