Possible service issues at U.S. embassy in case of government shutdown

Federal retirement payments, like payments such as Social Security benefits, fall under the "mandatory" budget category not funded through annual appropriations and thus not affected by these kinds of funding deadlocks. According to the OPM document, federal retirees "will still receive their scheduled annuity payments on the first business day of the month."

I hit an AEON ATM at 1208 hrs today, my federal retirement $$$ had been deposited in my U.S. bank, so I went ahead and tapped it. That's about an hour after midnight D.C. time.

Mac

Email to all registered at US Embassy this morning.

This message is for all U.S. citizens in Thailand.

The U.S. Embassy in Bangkok and Consulate General Chiang Mai remain open to the public and will continue passport and visa operations as well as provide services to U.S. citizens. As always, our priorities remain providing safety, security, and service to U.S. citizens.
U.S. Citizens must continue to schedule an appointment for routine consular services, using the appointment system on the website............
  • Like 1

No problem for SS payment. Just got SMS from bank that it is in the bank.

wow

still waiitng on mine an mine goes into direct into my us bank account

edit, it wasn't in this morning but just checked online an it is now

Edited by phuketrichard

post-108400-0-65429400-1380794618_thumb.

A flurry of panic posts at the beginning of this thread is turning into a non-event for expats abroad, particularly in Thailand. coffee1.gif

Anyone who was alive during the last gov't shutdown (or old enough to remember) has good reason not to pee their pants. Mop, anyone? whistling.gif

Edited by Fookhaht

I considered the direct deposit to Bangkok Bank but didn't want to deal with any potential FBAR reporting -- goes to an ATM fee reimbursed account.

Is an "ATM reimbursed account" something that's not in your name? Please amplify.

I considered the direct deposit to Bangkok Bank but didn't want to deal with any potential FBAR reporting -- goes to an ATM fee reimbursed account.

Is an "ATM reimbursed account" something that's not in your name? Please amplify.

Instead of having funds directly deposited in my Bangkok Bank account where it is subject to FBAR reporting should it ever go over $10,000, I have my money deposited into a US bank account that refunds any ATM charges (150 baht) when withdrawing cash from that US bank from an ATM when in Thailand.

thumbsup.gif

Instead of having funds directly deposited in my Bangkok Bank account where it is subject to FBAR reporting should it ever go over $10,000, I have my money deposited into a US bank account that refunds any ATM charges (150 baht) when withdrawing cash from that US bank from an ATM when in Thailand.

thumbsup.gif