Riding in the back of the Pick-Up ... lunacy or practical reality?

David48

Riding in the back of the Pick-Up ... sheer lunacy or a practical reality in Thailand?

post-104736-0-43713700-1380700119_thumb.

You see it day in, day out in Thailand.

Personally, I don't have enough fingers and toes to count the number of times I've sat in the back of the pick-up / truck as it was my only option of transport.

Actually, sometimes I prefer to sit in the back, wind in the hair ... the freedom is great ... invigorating!

But is it an evil which should be stamped out due to safety concerns or ...

In reality, the only practical method of transport many Thais have?

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Its not any more dangerous than the baht buses really, its a reality, 30 years ago riding in the back of a larger truck was the only transport. And it depends on the driver. I've safely accommodated 25 in total, 8 upfront all the littlies and 17 in the back. Of course if I'd had an accident I'd be screwed. A whole lot of family wanted to go to a funeral in Phichit about 600k from here, I took 12 that time 6 up front 6 in the back.

You want to go then that's where you sit

Its not any more dangerous than the baht buses really, its a reality, 30 years ago riding in the back of a larger truck was the only transport. And it depends on the driver. I've safely accommodated 25 in total, 8 upfront all the littlies and 17 in the back. Of course if I'd had an accident I'd be screwed. A whole lot of family wanted to go to a funeral in Phichit about 600k from here, I took 12 that time 6 up front 6 in the back.

You want to go then that's where you sit

Agreed ... first time I travelled 'in the back' was when I went to a funeral.

As did the 6 or 7 other relatives who had no other means of getting there.

@ NBD ... agreed ... some crazy ... some practical.

On a motorway, bald tyres, overloaded is just asking for trouble ... facepalm.gif ... what were they (not) thinking!

Similiarly like the 4 or sometimes more on a motorcycle. Great until something happens.

The pick ups Ive seem with planks across the back forming rows of seating for building workers, front wheels barely on the ground , ridiculous, and when you see one that has been in an accident with bodies strewn all over the carriageway the reality and stupidity hits.

Probably natural progression from all being loaded on the farmers type trailer, big difference is the pick ups can go much faster and not so easy to stop with that weight on them.

In todays modern world I think its total stupidity, but can understand the necessity for many.

• Like 1

^^ Agreed .. there is an element of Darwinism to it.

Crazy people do crazy things.

Though, it's still acceptable as a form of transport.

At the Farm, we will load up the front cabin with those at the head of the Social Pecking order ... the rest sit in the back.

Bit of a callous statement I know ... but it's a reality where I am.

At the Farm, we will load up the front cabin with those at the head of the Social Pecking order ... the rest sit in the back.

Australia isn't it ?

• Like 1

Australia isn't it ?

... a large continent in the southern hemisphere.

You have passed your geography test for today.

Anything else you care to discuss?

OH ... BTW ... I got my Thai drivers Licence (Car and Bike) 2 weeks ago.

Shiny darn things they are ... biggrin.png

• Like 2

I think it comes down to time and place...

While im sure it happens, I wouldnt be a fan of seeing a bunch of people in the back while the car is driving down a highway down 110km/hr..

Get around on the more suburban roads... i dont really see or have an issue...

common sense should play a role.

The song tao, where I live now, have two legs to the journey to get to the next town. The first leg is three clicks. It's covered in under two minutes. The drivers are all over the road, wrong side on blind curves, sometimes mowing roadside grass, driving like the offspring of Helen Keller and Mario Andretti.

Then they pull in a gas station and punch the clock.

Then they smoke a cigarette while talking to the attendant who is filling tanks.

Then they drag themselves back out on the road and drive the next 25 clicks at about 70 kph.

I once asked a driver why he didn't leave his station a minute earlier. He just stared at me.

Now I ride the scooter.

Australia isn't it ?

My Mistake, I was under the impression you lived in Australia. smile.png

Australia isn't it ?

My Mistake, I was under the impression you lived in Australia. smile.png

So there is no misunderstanding ... honestly ... half and half ... so neither here nor there ... or both here and there.

Have done that for years now.

For the record, now back in Australia 10 days ... before 2 months Thailand .. 'O' Visa

Glass half full/empty and all that.

Judging by the number of times you've admittedly found yourself in the back , then maybe you're not considered so high up in the pecking order at the Farm then ? Bet you always pay for the fuel though ! ( I know I always seem to !)

Last time I was back in Singapore, they had limits posted on each vehicle regarding the number of people allowed to be carried in the back of the truck.

SC

EDIT: When I was a young lad I used to ride to school sitting on the wheel arch of an estate Renault 4 panel van. Wouldn't be allowed nowadays, but not deemed unreasonable 35 years ago. I'm not in a position to do the cost benefit analysis to make an objective recommendation on what should be allowed and not.

Edited by StreetCowboy

I think it comes down to time and place...

While im sure it happens, I wouldnt be a fan of seeing a bunch of people in the back while the car is driving down a highway down 110km/hr..

Get around on the more suburban roads... i dont really see or have an issue...

common sense should play a role.

110 km/hr is moderate speed.....open your eyes...some drive as fast as the car can do....

• Like 1

Thing is this can be done safely and dangerously.. often its done dangerously. If they moderate their speed when they have people in the back its ok. But I often see workers crammed in the back and the truck going at high speed. That is of course dangerous and stupid.

With safely I mean less dangerous as if they are hit they are going to fly.

• Like 1

Pecking order doesn't decide who rides where in my truck. I decide. If they want to smoke, they aren't up front with me, and that includes er indoors,

• Like 1

It's very dangerous but due to financial factors is widely practiced.

When I had little cash, I'd take my kids on a motorcycle with no helmet, even when they were 6 months old although I didn't like it. I'd never do it now, having a car. If I could only afford a pickup and had a large family then I would. I was amazed though at the comments of some of my friends saying I was an irresponsible parent etc. Then I'd see themn driving around in their pick p during songran withe their kids and many more riding standing up on the back - such hypocrisy.

I like being on the back of a pick up actually then again I also like extreme sports.

There are silly laws in some countries. I as in Australia a couple of years ago and got hassled by police for riding along Melbourne beach on a bicycle with no crash helmet. I was fined for parking a car facing the wrong way!

Last year in Scotland, I was told I could be fined for drinking while driving! I mean a can of coke - ridiculous.

I was told last year that I could