If you could build your house again....

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only comment I will make, based on what I have observed over the years from houses being built in many areas and having differing budgets.

Wait until you have the money to build exactly what you want and do it all in one go.

The biggest problem I have seen is always extensions that either sink or pull away from the original building.

The second problem is getting different contractors in over a period of a couple of years to do bits and pieces as budget permits.

• Like 1

Definitely would build with the ground floor 1m higher than it is now, flooding would not be an issue and cost penalty would actually have been minimal.

Should have designed in an outdoor kitchen, SWMBO told me she didn't want one, wrong!

Still tweeking the electrics and plumbing.

• Like 2

Definitely would build with the ground floor 1m higher than it is now, flooding would not be an issue and cost penalty would actually have been minimal.

Should have designed in an outdoor kitchen, SWMBO told me she didn't want one, wrong!

Yes, a wet kitchen outside the house, and a dry kitchen inside.

Have both in my condo as well. Toaster and microwave in the dry, while the wet is used for steaming, frying and such, and extractor ventilates outside.

• Like 2

Ok Crossy, why is an electrician obviously as cluey as yourself still 'tweaking' things?

Make sure that you specify that the sockets should have three pins and the earth wire should actually be installed, connected and go to earth.

Also demand twice as many sockets that they would normally allocate. Then light switches to be put in practicable positions.

• Like 2

Ok Crossy, why is an electrician obviously as cluey as yourself still 'tweaking' things?

Stupid things like which lights are on the security timers, which outlets on the UPS. Not something that's truly necessary, but it keeps me occupied. And there's still a borrowed neutral somewhere in the bedroom.

It also takes living in a place to realise that you don't have an outlet in the right place for some appliance or other.

I hear all the time that people would do things differently with their house.This will be my first house built.And it will be on the outskirts of Korat.Are there any contractors that you would recommend etc?

i have read good reports about allan the builder.

would i have had the house built any different,for a start you need to be on site 24/7.

we did have a 5bedroomed house built but converted it to 3.

i would have used if you can find one,a profesional window fitting co.[and not wood]

out door cooking area is a must as i like to doo meat and fish smoking.

and oh the garden i would have made them take all the shit and rubbish with them not bury it.

i could go on and on but if i was there when the build took place i would have needed counciling.

• Like 1

Do you wish you had done anything diferently?

Would you change anything?

Did you forget to do anything?

Yes, Yes and Yes....

If I could go back 10 years, when the house was built, and with what I know now.......... The main thing I would have done is had the shell built only with roof and done the rest myself.. I did drive out here most days and stayed onsite for some hours, trying to make a builder understand common sense is not easy, and had to make them re-do things most days... even so I missed things, even something simple I missed... in the main big bathroom 2m x 2.5 m they did not [forgot?] to put a drain, how can you have a tiled bathroom without a drain ? the on suite and the downstairs do have drains but in the corner which is highest... would have had 1x less bedroom, and that would make the other spare bedrooms bigger.+ yes other things would have changed with hindsight could have been better designed.

The kitchen I did build myself outside, 7m x 3m, also built a large keeping room/shed on the one side of house, both I built 9 years ago and has not sank or come away from main house.

Getting to old now so to build another house and do myself guess have missed the boat as it were... anyway like it here and the area, so will do for the rest of my life.

• Like 1

Lol about the kitchen. Wifey insisted a western kitchen was fine when we designed and built our house. Soon as we moved in she was planning a seperate Thai style kitchen:-):-):-)

Sent from my GT-I9003 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

3 pin/grounded electric sockets throughout. 2 pipe plumbing for central hot water boiler. Insulation under roof tiles and better (natural) attic space venting to knock down the heat migration into the 1st floor/bedrooms. No basement, which at worst this year so far, had about 2 inches water as the surrounding ground water level/saturation rose.

I would do it completely different,

I would instead of 5 bedrooms make 4, 3 bathrooms instead of 4, an outdoor kitchen and a simple kitchen inside, the fuse box on another wall and not in the middle of my house, more plugs,and a good earthwire connection , my house in a different place in my garden, create more outdoor space

Many good ideas above. Oversize power to house, 3-wire electrical properly grounded (test with plug-in testing tool, many will be wrong). Solar hot water to kitchen and bathrooms. Two kitchens (ours is a larger Western style and just a bit smaller Thai one with lower counters). Light switches in convenient places as you enter room; many, many sockets especially in kitchen where they should be proper height for counters. Fans in all rooms including baths.

The most important items are super-good foundation and fireproof foam spray coating on underside of roof tiles after roof all finished. Attic ventilation fan with vented space on other end; if two-story allow a vent space in stairwell into the attic.

Already started here

But if I was unfortunate enough to need a new pile built in LOS, I would use the aerated concrete bricks which probably rules out using the in-laws again who did a superb job on the first casa. That was done with 'conventional' Thai brick and pile and is crack and crumble free after almost 6 years of Isaan extremes.

I would bring high-pressure water pipe fittings and ALL electricals from the UK.

And a plumber.

And an electrician.

Edited by NanLaew
  • Like 1

high pressure fittings and electrical kit are all available in thailand already

you need go no further than bangkok

They are available all over Thailand, but I think KrisB had in mind of having the electrical and plumbing work done by a foreigner.

And if that's correct, bring one from abroad, because the foreigners in the trade in Thailand are no better than the Thais .

high pressure fittings and electrical kit are all available in thailand already

you need go no further than bangkok

They are available all over Thailand, but I think KrisB had in mind of having the electrical and plumbing work done by a foreigner.

And if that's correct, bring one from abroad, because the foreigners in the trade in Thailand are no better than the Thais .

Thats right jbrain. More so the electrician. Bit sad having to do that but unless the next time I'm in KK and can't find one, think that is a good possibility. Plumbing on the other hand I can work out with some ease, and also keeping water to a minimum. Surprising how many plumbers I chat to on sites here in Australia who have no idea how to set up a septic tank system. Bit of internet research gives the answer.