Cops at sai Yuan today

IrishIvan

If you have the correct driving license, your bike/vehicle license is current and you wear your helmet or use your seatbelt

you have nothing to worry about at a road block unless you are DUI

If not cop it sweet and pay the fine, they do not confiscate you bike/vehicle as they do in most countries for unlicensed

driving or DUI and the fines are very low, Not wearing a helmet in Australia the fine was 4500 baht probably a lot more now

Even if riding a bicycle

They charged 4,500 baht - why on earth would they charge you in baht?

they are bad apples those Aussie cops. Theyll take baht, rand, ringit and rubles

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't for sure about the TPV but the volunteers at the Immigration Office (PIV) in Phuket Town ( They are not related in any way to the Tourist Police Volunteers) are thoroughly background checked by the Thai Police in Bangkok and the police representative of the embassy of the country where he is from. The special investigation department does not handle complaints on the volunteers for this you have to the commander of the unit the volunteer belongs to.

No volunteer has any legal right to detain any body but as anybody else they have the right to prevent anybody for leaving (without fisical force) in case of a offence so he can handed over to the police.

Edited by merijn

I'm no legal expert, but ....

As far as detaining anyone is concerned, a TPV has no more authority than any other citizen ==> they can make a 'citizen's arrest' (which is not an actual arrest but a detention'), until those with authority to arrest the person arrive. For example, a pickpocket could be restrained from running away. But the force used must be reasonable and the minimum necessary.

So if you run away from a police checkpoint because you don't have a driving licence (civil offence), I don't think that the TPV could physically restrain you. If you ran away because you had just crashed your motorbike into another vehicle, then I think they could physically restrain you.

The TPVs who are checking driving licences/imposing fines are doing so with the authority of their superiors. You may not agree with what they are doing, but they do have the authority to do this.

Simon

• Like 1

I'm no legal expert, but ....

As far as detaining anyone is concerned, a TPV has no more authority than any other citizen ==> they can make a 'citizen's arrest' (which is not an actual arrest but a detention'), until those with authority to arrest the person arrive. For example, a pickpocket could be restrained from running away. But the force used must be reasonable and the minimum necessary.

So if you run away from a police checkpoint because you don't have a driving licence (civil offence), I don't think that the TPV could physically restrain you. If you ran away because you had just crashed your motorbike into another vehicle, then I think they could physically restrain you.

The TPVs who are checking driving licences/imposing fines are doing so with the authority of their superiors. You may not agree with what they are doing, but they do have the authority to do this.

Simon

They wont be stopping me thats for sure. I'll drive over to the real police if they are checking licences

If you have the correct driving license, your bike/vehicle license is current and you wear your helmet or use your seatbelt

you have nothing to worry about at a road block unless you are DUI

If not cop it sweet and pay the fine, they do not confiscate you bike/vehicle as they do in most countries for unlicensed

driving or DUI and the fines are very low, Not wearing a helmet in Australia the fine was 4500 baht probably a lot more now

Even if riding a bicycle

They charged 4,500 baht - why on earth would they charge you in baht?

OK just to make you happy $150

I guess there is one less pain in the ass at the circle or Sai Yuan now. Garry, one of the really annoying TVPs got busted today selling ice. So much for background checks.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

nice guy, meet him a couple of times, am surprised..

I'm never surprised when it's tourist police volunteers.

I mean really, who comes to Thailand to do that job? Someone who wasn't able to be a police officer back in their home country.

Any farang volunteer to me is a loony and I ignore them completely.

• Like 1

I mean really, who comes to Thailand to do that job? Someone who wasn't able to be a police officer back in their home country.

well he have business running here so i think it's pretty smart strategi to make friends with cops and play around..

well he have business running here so i think it's pretty smart strategi to make friends with cops and play around..

Just not with meth though.....

• Like 1