Robotic parking garage set to open in Pattaya next month

Rimmer

Robotic parking garage set to open in Pattaya next month

n6Vehicle1.jpg

PATTAYA:--Thailand’s first automated parking garage is expected to open in November at Bali Hai Pier, offering storage of cars and, eventually, boats.

Using a computerized-elevator system by Simmatec Robotic of South Korea, the 735 million baht garage will offer 407 parking spaces on seven floors. Three hydraulic “Transo Devices” will lift cars into and out of spaces. Each car must be shorter than 5.2 meters long, 1.9 meters tall and weigh no more than 2.3 tons. Vehicles also must measure no more than 13 cm. from ground to engine.

Also in the works is an automated, 360-boat mooring project that similarly would lift watercraft into slots. That project, however, is even more behind schedule than the parking garage.

Full story:http://www.pattayamail.com/localnews/robotic-parking-garage-set-to-open-in-pattaya-next-month-31196

pattayamaillogo.png

-- Pattaya Mail 2013-10-18 footer_n.gif

At 735 million baht, how long will it take to pay for this system? Figure upkeep, interest lost from capital investment, electricity, at least one guard, etc. How much would you have to charge a car to park to break even, moneywise? Will it be full all the time? It seems odd. Maybe it's an advertising demonstration unit for the Korean company... true cost subsidized. It would go, in downtown San Francisco, where the lots are $5 an hour, and full.

From the news article:

...Vehicles also must measure no more than 13 cm. from ground to engine...

How much above the ground is my car's engine? Honestly, I don't know, and I don't think it is indicated in the manual. I can already see the notice at the entrance:

"The operators of this parking facility decline any responsibility for damage to vehicles not conforming with the published measurements"

There are two reasons why I'm highly sceptical about this facility. First, automated car parks have a slow turnaround time. This is fine for long term storage sites like, say, airports, but no use at all for Bali Hai where you need a fast turnover.

Second, anyone who watched the construction will have noticed that there are two levels underground. Underground construction is hugely more expensive than adding two more levels to the top and only makes financial sense in the middle of a city where land and floor space is expensive. Also, since the lowest level is probably below sea level, watch what happens the first time there's a rain storm and the pumps break down.

And if your car is stuck inside on a day when the retrieval mechanism breaks down, be prepared to hear the words "cannot, cannot" as you wonder how you're going to get home.

In theory a good idea vertical storage, but..... as Spalpeen said turnaround would be slow, better if this was used to store all those unsightly boats and leave that area open for car parking - or is that too simple?

I think the 13cm in the article is wrong, surely that should be a minimum?

Does this really save much more space than a standard multi-story car park ?

I can see how and why this is necessary in Major Cities where space is hugely expensive and comes at a premium such as Tokyo, Hong Kong, London etc... I am wondering as to the logic of placing something like this in Pattaya when a standard Mulit-story car park would do just fine.

What does the article say??? .... 350 slots for boats above the water line to shelter them from high seas???

What am I missing here? Haven't they built this ugly marina and that expensive breakwater exactly for that purpous?

Something does not add up here. A 350 boat storage facility on the spot where they (mis-) handle the island rubbish??? In addition to the marina?

What a nonsense!

From the news article:

...Vehicles also must measure no more than 13 cm. from ground to engine...

How much above the ground is my car's engine? Honestly, I don't know, and I don't think it is indicated in the manual. I can already see the notice at the entrance:

"The operators of this parking facility decline any responsibility for damage to vehicles not conforming with the published measurements"

"I can already see the notice at the entrance:"...

They probably make everybody sign a disclaimer in 20 odd languages as well particularly as half the spaces are below sea level.

Does this really save much more space than a standard multi-story car park ?

I can see how and why this is necessary in Major Cities where space is hugely expensive and comes at a premium such as Tokyo, Hong Kong, London etc... I am wondering as to the logic of placing something like this in Pattaya when a standard Mulit-story car park would do just fine.

It's called Thai logic which only the Thais understand (sometimes).

Prime water front location and they build a below sea level robotic car park, wonna bet it's gone in 3 years from now?

What a pointless and crazy waste of money.

It's taken them ages to build it too !!

they really should have left the park alone the area is ruined now.

before

attachicon.gifIMG_1305 copy.jpg

after

attachicon.gifIMAGE00267 (Medium).jpg

bah.gifbah.gifbah.gifbah.gifbah.gif

Agree completely. Pattaya pier/end of Walking St. is a place where most of the tourist visitors will pass by at some point in their visit. There was a perfectly good little park that was well used by stallholders at festival times, or just by people taking a rest any other time. This should have been a showpiece area for Pattaya and they built an ugly multi storey car park in the middle of it.

It would seem a vertical version would been more practical and minimize the property footprint. Though I believe there are vertical building height limits that may preclude it.

If you've been down to Bali Hai recently you'll notice that any vertical height limits have gone out the window. I'd be very wary of buying a unit in that new building in case someone then sticks another tall building right in front of you in the boat yard. Edited by Spalpeen

Quiet bizzarly this was tried when they built the 60s bull ring in Birmingham. It was closed within days as they hadn't thought about the time it takes to retrieve your vehicle. Huge lines of shoppers with heavy bags built up as the system took up to 5 minuets to retrieve each car.

• 4 months later...

I wouldn't take my chances with this set up. It will be interesting to see how it goes, assuming it will actually be opened.

A poll would be interesting to see how many people would trust it enough to use it.

Edited by Brevity