Any Flooding in the Nong Hoi Area ?

Gonzo the Face

Do we have any posters in the Nong Hoi area that can give us a current report on if the river is flooding any of the area yet??

It seems to me that we are working with a slightly different set of flooding levels this year. In the past when we reached 2.7 on the flood chart the water started coming into my back area. Now its reading 2.8+ and the water is not yet in my yard.

Why would anywhere at all flood at 2.anything?

(As in actual parts of the city; Nong Hoi or anywhere else)

Because historically thats the level at which the river has flooded my back yard over the past years that I have been here.

And usually Nong Hoi , gets it a little before I do.

We live near Wat Muang Guy on a soi across from the Sanam Golf. No flooding at all. I went out this morning but didn't notice the river being dangerously high.

When floods hit this area, the water comes from right across the road at the intersection of CM-Lamphun Rd. and Ratutit.

So far, so good.

Edited by CMHomeboy78
  • Like 1

Because historically thats the level at which the river has flooded my back yard over the past years that I have been here.

A bit of flash flooding from rain perhaps, but surely not from the river? That makes no sense; where would the water come from? It would have to burst the river banks somewhere.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

A bit of flash flooding from rain perhaps, but surely not from the river? That makes no sense; where would the water come from? It would have to burst the river banks somewhere.

And when it does come from the river, all hell breaks out here.

We had over a meter of water on our ground floor a few years ago.

^ Right, I know that. wink.png But the water first needs to figure out a way to get out of the river. At 2.8 meters that's not happening unless Mr. Newton revised some of his laws.

I don't think there will be flooding in or near Nong Hoi this year, unless something unusual happens, like several days of torrential rain or a sudden discharge from the Mae Taeng dam. That is what triggered the last flood.

The whole area could be protected simply by building a 2M high concrete floodwall from near Rimping Supermarket to the Mengrai Bridge. It's incredible that the local government has never done that. Maybe they are waiting for an initiative from Bangkok, but that will never come because the more water that floods and disperses elsewhere, the less comes down to them.

In venerable Thai fashion, the Army seeing dysfunction, should step in and build the wall. They have the manpower, and they are among the first to get their feet wet at Kawila.

• Like 2

Didn't people use to talk about Nong Hoi getting flooded through the drains? River wall wont help if land is lower & pressure from river forces water up through the pipes. Any truth in that or just rumour?

Interesting point. Chiang Mai- Lamphun Road is certainly below the river bank top but hard to judge how much-maybe a metre or more.

And yesterday the entrance/exit to motor tax office opposite Meng rai bridge was about 4-7cm under water which I assumed was just collected at a low point but maybe it rises from below as you suggest .

Maybe time to stock up the fridge/freezer?? Oh, and the bar...

Didn't people use to talk about Nong Hoi getting flooded through the drains? River wall wont help if land is lower & pressure from river forces water up through the pipes. Any truth in that or just rumour?

I don't know about that but when we had the last flood I was in the Shangrala Hotel area and the water was a foot deep in the street because of that before the river overflowed.

I don't know about that but when we had the last flood I was in the Shangrala Hotel area and the water was a foot deep in the street because of that before the river overflowed.

2005 made 2011 look likes kids play..This photo 2005.

111.jpg?w=583&h=485

This photo 2011.

30166422-01.JPG?1382230634661

Edited by khwaibah

The flooding in Nong Hoi over the years has been caused by the Ping River overflowing its banks; not by water coming up from the drains.

If that's the excuse the government is giving for not building a floodwall, then it's a lame one.

2005 made 2011 look likes kids play..This photo 2005.

111.jpg?w=583&h=485

This photo 2011.

30166422-01.JPG?1382230634661

I don't think so 2011 same shot,different day.

post-67161-0-28919200-1382269375_thumb.j

post-67161-0-36418300-1382269411_thumb.j

Truth.

I've seen it happen on lower Changklan.

Interesting to watch.

A few posters have placed too much emphasis on the drains.

Water welling-up through the drains occurs only after the system has been flooded by high water levels.

The Ping River breaching its banks is the problem that flood-control measures have to address. Dredging and floodwalls seem to be the obvious solutions

Nong Hoi had floods when Siriwattana was a ricefield, and the drainage system in the Talad area was shallow ditches covered with boards.

Drains don't cause the flooding, the river does.

• Like 1

Actually, we were living in Ban Siriwattana when the 2011 flood arrived and it did come up through the drains in the area where our house was. Other parts didn't get flooded at all but it definitely came from below.

I think that is the case with all flooding to a certain degree is it not? I don't know exactly how it works but when we were flooded in Sansai a couple of years ago, the water in the sois was not even close to my house but all the klongs were over-flowing. When the government came and dumped a dump truck full of sand at the middle of the moobaan (which started our famous human chain of filling sandbags), all the locals kept saying to "put the sandbags on top of the drains in the kitchen, bathroom, and garden - don't use them to bag the enterence to the homes." I thought that was odd at the time but sure enough later that day, the water came up through that drain box thing in the corner of the kitchen floor, along with a huge snake and we were then flooded inside. The water never breached our gate. It came in through the lowest part of the house.