Why are thais so religious? Does religion serve a purpose?

snake24

Oh these farang and how quick they are to judge me and to test me on thai therevada buddhism but strangely even though i stated i come a catholic family and most likely just the same as they are not a single one of them asked me if i even knew anything of catholicism.

Possibly, because you say you are a Catholic? That would imply, would it not, that you have some knowledge of Catholicism?

Buddhism and Christianity are completely different in that one suggests a way of life that leads the practitioner to enlightenment, whilst the other threatens damnation if the rules are not observed.

The fact that rituals are performed and observed in both does not make them even remotely similar.

The paradox that you have commented on, that there are devout Buddhists in a country that seemingly allows things that go against Buddhist teachings, is an example of the concept that each individual's life, and the choices they make whilst living it, are their own to freely make.

It is not meant to be a controlling effect, but one of guidance.

And the religion of a country, like my country for instance, doesn't encompass all the people that come from it.

It might be suggested that the UK is a Christian country. I would suggest that it has Christian roots, but has now evolved to be a more secular country that has, thankfully, devised it's own set of laws rather than relying on a bronze age novel for legal solutions.

• Like 2

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People in this part of the world live an entirely different life and an entirely different train of thought from people in the western world. Thais are so religious because a sense of community is touted above the sense of the individual. They are taught about religion at an early age, what it is to be a Thai, that a person's rights are not as important as a person contributing to the community as a whole.Which has its ups and down sides, it represses individuality but it also encourages unity. The west stresses too much individuality and leads us to isolate ourselves from one another, but over here the abundance of community focus has lead to a lack of uniqueness. There is little artistic expression, not much style and people are terrified to deviate from normality.

little artistic expression and style?? lol

My father’s family were staunch Catholics and my mother’s family were liberal Jews. My father was an American GI stationed in England during World War 2, and that’s where he met my mum. He took part in the D Day landings

My father once told me that when my parents married back in 1945, they had to endure the wrath and strong disapprovals from both sides of the families. Many relatives refused to give them their blessings and refused to attend the wedding. It took years before my paternal grandparents and material grandparents drew up a truce and actually met as a family.

Luckily for me both my parents never imposed any of their religious beliefs onto my siblings or me and I was left to decide which religion I preferred to follow later on when I reached adulthood. As for religion, I don`t want to know. As far as I am concerned religion is the curse of the human race. All it does is separate people and probably more people have died in the name of religion than for any other cause. Both Catholicism and Judaism are based on fear. For example, if you do wrong, God will punish you.

I was once criticised by an uncle for not following the Jewish faith. I explained to him that if God did not come to the rescue of the Jews during WW2, a time of their greatest need of help in the whole of history, than lets face it, he`s never going to come, is he? I told my uncle that the Jewish God probably perished in the gas chambers of Auschwitz along with the Catholic God, who is the same God.

One does not have to follow any particular religion in order believe to God.

The problem with many religions, such as in Thailand, is that it can go hand in hand with nationalism and then it can become political, such as with the Muslims in the deep South.

Religion for some people is really just a crutch to lean on, who prefers to place their faith and well-being in some mythical power rather than themselves. It doesn’t really belong in a scientific civilised world and while it continues to exist in it`s present form, there will always be conflicts and this great divide among people.

Regarding Buddhism in Thailand, there are no problems providing it is practised in moderation, something like drink and drugs, but once religion turns fanatical, this is when the problems begin.

In answer to the question: does religion serve a purpose? In my opinion, no, it does not.

Great post BJ; I grew up in the same era and my parents treated things in a similar way. I agree with all your observations save the last one as i firmly believe that the sole purpose of all religion's is to control the masses.

• Like 1

My father’s family were staunch Catholics and my mother’s family were liberal Jews. My father was an American GI stationed in England during World War 2, and that’s where he met my mum. He took part in the D Day landings

My father once told me that when my parents married back in 1945, they had to endure the wrath and strong disapprovals from both sides of the families. Many relatives refused to give them their blessings and refused to attend the wedding. It took years before my paternal grandparents and material grandparents drew up a truce and actually met as a family.

Luckily for me both my parents never imposed any of their religious beliefs onto my siblings or me and I was left to decide which religion I preferred to follow later on when I reached adulthood. As for religion, I don`t want to know. As far as I am concerned religion is the curse of the human race. All it does is separate people and probably more people have died in the name of religion than for any other cause. Both Catholicism and Judaism are based on fear. For example, if you do wrong, God will punish you.

I was once criticised by an uncle for not following the Jewish faith. I explained to him that if God did not come to the rescue of the Jews during WW2, a time of their greatest need of help in the whole of history, than lets face it, he`s never going to come, is he? I told my uncle that the Jewish God probably perished in the gas chambers of Auschwitz along with the Catholic God, who is the same God.

The problem with many religions, such as in Thailand, is that it can go hand in hand with nationalism and then it can become political, such as with the Muslims in the deep South.

Religion for some people is really just a crutch to lean on, who prefers to place their faith and well-being in some mythical power rather than themselves. It doesn’t really belong in a scientific civilised world and while it continues to exist in it`s present form, there will always be conflicts and this great divide among people.

Regarding Buddhism in Thailand, there are no problems providing it is practised in moderation, something like drink and drugs, but once religion turns fanatical, this is when the problems begin.

In answer to the question: does religion serve a purpose? In my opinion, no, it does not.

how would thai buddhism turn fanatical? have you seen indications of this?

how would thai buddhism turn fanatical? have you seen indications of this?

My comment is hypothetical and an if not an is.

So as not to offend, this is entirely my take on religion:

Every religion/philosophy that has ever existed is there for one reason and that is control of the masses. Most are based on the fear of the unknown, ie, death, and form an emotional crutch for most that believe.

As long as every religion/philosophy can be interpreted differently by factions of said religion/philosophy to achieve their own ends, then that to me is totally wrong.

More wars throughout time have been started because of religion, because of people's indoctrinated beliefs, than any other reason. These have been justified by phrases such as "In the name of God", "In the name of Allah", "In the name of Buddha", etc. This doesn't and never will make it right.

In this so-called democratic world of ours, it is everybody's right to believe in what they want; I would be the last person on earth to disagree with that. Just keep it to yourselves and follow your own destinies as you see fit, leave others to do the same..............thumbsup.gif width=25 alt=thumbsup.gif>

the fact is we are tribal and we will fight. if we dont have religion to fight over, we will invent something else. religion doesnt cause war, it just gives us a good excuse for it!

Truth Sir, truth................wai.gif

However, when religion unites the tribes, it becomes a larger problem..............wink.png

• Like 1

Every religion/philosophy that has ever existed is there for one reason and that is control of the masses. Most are based on the fear of the unknown, ie, death, and form an emotional crutch for most that believe.

As long as every religion/philosophy can be interpreted differently by factions of said religion/philosophy to achieve their own ends, then that to me is totally wrong.

More wars throughout time have been started because of religion, because of people's indoctrinated beliefs, than any other reason. These have been justified by phrases such as "In the name of God", "In the name of Allah", "In the name of Buddha", etc. This doesn't and never will make it right.

In this so-called democratic world of ours, it is everybody's right to believe in what they want; I would be the last person on earth to disagree with that. Just keep it to yourselves and follow your own destinies as you see fit, leave others to do the same..............thumbsup.gif width=25 alt=thumbsup.gif>

the fact is we are tribal and we will fight. if we dont have religion to fight over, we will invent something else. religion doesnt cause war, it just gives us a good excuse for it!

Truth Sir, truth................wai.gif

However, when religion unites the tribes, it becomes a larger problem..............wink.png

no it doesnt. as I said, if we didnt have religion,we'd just invent another excuse. we are determined to kill the "other" however he/she is defined.

In this so-called democratic world of ours, it is everybody's right to believe in what they want; I would be the last person on earth to disagree with that. Just keep it to yourselves and follow your own destinies as you see fit, leave others to do the same..............thumbsup.gif.pagespeed.ce.dtxKiAJ9C7.gif width=25 alt=thumbsup.gif>

Truth Sir, truth................wai.gif.pagespeed.ce.ptXUXgG4cA.gif width=20 alt=wai.gif>

However, when religion unites the tribes, it becomes a larger problem..............wink.png.pagespeed.ce.HJgPQ3U3SA.png

no it doesnt. as I said, if we didnt have religion,we'd just invent another excuse. we are determined to kill the "other" however he/she is defined.

But unfortunately, we do have religion already, no need to invent another reason. So I still stand by my views...........wai.gif

the majority of people who would identify themselfs with a particular religion are clueless as to the particular and scripted meaning. also being of a particular religous denomination does not make people spiritual in any way. in fact most people are quite ignorant and have little idea or ever read much about their chosen religion.

saying that one is this or that has little meaning really - does it?

• Like 2

Seems a lot in Thailand have a more superstitious use of Buddhism rather than following it with a strict code or in a way of life that abides every thing that the religion preaches. I quite like the Thai's relationship with Buddhism although I would not say I have much knowledge of it. The only studying I have done on Buddhism (apart from some first hand experience in SEA) is read two books written by the Dalai Lama. Really enjoyed them, some really interesting philosophy to take from the religion.

the thai buddhism has some definite differences from what the dalai lama teaches

would that be the same dali lama that said 'george w bush is a really good guy - very good friend to me'

think ill give the organized religions a miss :)

• Like 1

"Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, and the soul of soulless conditions. It is the opium of the people". Karl Marx

All religions are cults.

Deism is the only philosophy that makes sense to me, but to each his own.

"Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, and the soul of soulless conditions. It is the opium of the people". Karl Marx

All religions are cults.

Deism is the only philosophy that makes sense to me, but to each his own.

well, old karl's answer ended up oppressing more people than religion ever did! dictatorship of the proletariat!! talk about a soulless cult!!