Working on own property

This may be a dumb question - certainly sounds like it to me - but hey, this is Thailand and things are different here than in my own country. I know Thailand can be strict about a foreigner on a tourist visa working here in Thailand. I am here on a tourist visa although I am legally married to a Thai national I have not yet pursued a married visa.

Question: Can I work on our property along side Thai people clearing land for a house? Helping Thai people to build a house? Grunt work?

Maybe consider this ... are you doing work for which a Thai could be gainfully employed?

EDIT ... agreeing with the above.

Keep your head down, don't stand out from the crowd ... and you are probably sweet ... thumbsup.gif

Edited by David48

Maybe consider this ... are you doing work for which a Thai could be gainfully employed?

I was standing around most of the time, analyzing every move and making suggestions they hadn't thought of, heck I even went a bought lunch.......not sure if I took a job away from anyone. unsure.png

Keep your head down, don't stand out from the crowd ... and you are probably sweet ... thumbsup.gif

If he is a whitey it would be hard for him to not stand out from the crowd biggrin.png

OP if you are working on your own property it should be no problem, however if it is other property then yes it could be a issue

Just be careful

• Like 1

Please quote the law - and as a foreigner you can not own land here in any case. To work in Thailand as a foreigner requires a work permit specific to the work/company. But as said normally nobody is going to say anything if only doing normal household repairs.

If he is a whitey it would be hard for him to not stand out from the crowd biggrin.png

Wearing ...

post-104736-0-86068200-1383810476_thumb.

Would go a long way ... whistling.gif

• Like 1

my property = my right to work on it

after getting a WP you have NO Rights in Thailand

Are you sure that's an accurate statement? NO Rights?

Absolutely, not even Thais have rights in fact.

Little fleas have smaller fleas upon their backs to bite them and smaller fleas have lesser fleas and so ad infinitum. A bite at the lowest level could be just buying a drink for the village head man, through to a street vender paying a policeman, up as far as you can imagine.

So everybody in the country whatever nationality has the right to do anything they want provided they make friends with the right people.

Under a strict definition of the labour law, rinsing a glass would require a work permit so referring to the law on this issue is not useful.

I guess it's possible that a dodgy official might try to use it to extort someone but I would be prepared to bet that there has never been an actual prosecution.

There is a big difference between prudence and paranoia.

Alas, there is much too much paranoia and not nearly enough of good old Dear Prudence on this forum.

Unless you have very serious personal enemies, nobody will care a toss about you labouring, painting, roofing, getting drunk with the lads, driving home 1/2 cut or whatever, if you are working on your or your wifes personal property.

Why on earth would anybody care enough to report you to Immig. ??

A commercial venture is a different thing, however, and requires more of "Dear Prudence"...............

There is a big difference between prudence and paranoia.

Alas, there is much too much paranoia and not nearly enough of good old Dear Prudence on this forum.

Unless you have very serious personal enemies, nobody will care a toss about you labouring, painting, roofing, getting drunk with the lads, driving home 1/2 cut or whatever, if you are working on your or your wifes personal property.

Why on earth would anybody care enough to report you to Immig. ??

A commercial venture is a different thing, however, and requires more of "Dear Prudence"...............

wow very naive the little old lady sitting on the conner will report you for a baht dont you worry about that any how would you take the chance of getting deported for doing some work on your house get real i know i want to stay with my family i do not know who my enemies are so i an not giving them the chance the whole point is up to you but for me its a WP

It all depends on where you live and if you act like a pri*ck or are a nice person.

I don't think my wife would want me hanging around if I did jack all in case someone reported me, plus I would get bored and she would be exhausted from doing all the work...

Just use common sense !!

• Like 1

I, like some of the other thoughtful posters, do not want to risk the chance of having a problem with immigration because someone took a dislike to me. As far as I know I am well received in this village. I smile and laugh with people, dance in the streets with them, talk to and acknowledge almost everyone but I am aware that you can piss someone off by flaunting what you have (which I do not do) or simply making someone jealous by having the life you have. The rules here in Thailand are so different than in my home country of Canada. While in Thailand I will do what is required by Thai law. If that means getting a WP, that's what I will do. Perhaps I'll run this question by the local authorities. All I want to do is help clear the old house off my wife's land (we just bought) and help to build a new house. Thereafter, I will want to maintain and customize/decorate our home. Seems simple enough - things we take for granted in Canada. I came to Thailand on a holiday (many years ago) - met a girl - fell in love ....... like so many of us farangs do ....... and now I want to help to make a better life for my wife and her 6 year old daughter - both of whom I love very much. My wife holds the Blue Book on the property and I have the Yellow Book. We all know the extended family needs help too and I do what I can. Generous but hopefully not stupid.

I have met so many farangs here that complain about everything. Too bad - for them. I mostly receive my Thailand experience with a friendly smile and playfulness except when in traffic or immigration line ups. Even then I have learned patience. Sometimes I just have to look for a Bodhi tree to sit under and contemplate life - like the Buddha.

Stay calm, my friends, be happy ....... smile.png

Thank you for your comments ........

Edited by BuddhaChile

my property = my right to work on it

after getting a WP you have NO Rights in Thailand

Are you sure that's an accurate statement? NO Rights?

Absolutely, not even Thais have rights in fact.

Little fleas have smaller fleas upon their backs to bite them and smaller fleas have lesser fleas and so ad infinitum. A bite at the lowest level could be just buying a drink for the village head man, through to a street vender paying a policeman, up as far as you can imagine.

So everybody in the country whatever nationality has the right to do anything they want provided they make friends with the right people.

After getting a work permit you come under the Thai labour laws, so the statement that you have No rights is way off the mark............wink.png

I helped build our House in a Isaan village on a tourist visa without any problems, like you I do my best to get on with the villagers, keep smiling etc. I did worry about getting reported to Immigration by some jealous person, but having mentioned it afterwards to our local Immigration, (Khon Khen) they said as long as it was your own House they wouldn't be interested, so I think that you'd have to be grassed up by someone with 'Influence' to have any real problem.. good luck...

• Like 1