The secret a popular book from the west based on superstition/supernatural stuff?

snake24

Book came out in 2006

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Secret_%28book%29

Has its own website and it a bestseller

http://thesecret.tv/

It also has a list of detractors and had a few talk show hosts mocking it.

Anyway here is the premise of how it works. You think positive thoughts and it really affects you in the real world and not in terms of how you behave but in terms of how other people, events react towards you.

They show a few examples. Like there is this guy really pissed off and angry because he is stuck in a traffic jam the angrier he is the worse the jam becomes. The secret says that it is because he keeps on thinking angry thoughts about being stuck in the jam that is why his thoughts somehow reinforce his situation. That is if he had thought happy thoughts instead he wouldn't be stuck in the jam.

They give another example of some aspiring stand up comic that is gay and how when he was thinking negative thoughts he was bullied by his co workers and booed when he did his stand up. when he got hold of the secret and thought positive thoughts the situation changed for him. His co workers stopped bullying him out of the blue not that he maned up and started to fight them. Ppl started to cheer him when he did his stand up etc. It teaches that if you think positive thoughts somehow the world around you reacts to you and responds accordingly and sounds like something out of an x-man comic book. You see how it doesn't make sense at all. Let's say you think happy thoughts despite being in a traffic jam your brain waves send out happy signals and the traffic jam clears out around you. How do you start an experiment to scientifically explain this? It's impossible.

The question here is how did such a book become a best seller in 2006 in the enlightened west? You can actually change the world with your thoughts?

Are you professor X from the x-men? How is this even possible at all? If that was the case i could simply think hateful thoughts of someone i disliked and just simply kill him/her with it.

Think about this. The book becomes a best seller in 2006 in the west where science and logical thoughts reign supreme based on supernatural beliefs that the human mind is able to change the physical situation around it just simply based on thoughts?

If you want to put a thai angle into this the book would simply have added in praying to the elephant headed god.

I am just curious guys why did such a book become a best seller in the modern era in the year 2006 in the west?

You mock other nations and cultures for being primitive and supersititious especially those not from the western world and yet you let something like the secret become a best seller?

Or maybe it is real? What do you think?

If you thought hard enough your physical world changes.

Spiritually justified greed perhaps?

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

Why greed?

I mean honestly speaking they were talking about a traffic jam, If you thought happy thoughts when you're in a traffic ja the jam would suddnenly clear up that's good and it doesn't make you richer but much happier and mind you this book is a best seller in the western world. That is if it's a best seller in the USA rest assured australia will get to hear of it. That is why you had aussie or UK hosts reenacting mockery scenes of it.

I think this has absolutely nothing to do with Thailand.

Oh yes it does. How the enlightened western world that mocks 3rd world countries like thailand for their superstition for and other silly nonsense actually make a best seller out of a book/idea that seems based on supernatural nonsense unless you can explain to me that the secret works and that if someone thoughyt happy thoughts while in a traffic jam the jam would clear up.

I think this has absolutely nothing to do with Thailand.

Oh yes it does. How the enlightened western world that mocks 3rd world countries like thailand for their superstition for and other silly nonsense actually make a best seller out of a book/idea that seems based on supernatural nonsense unless you can explain to me that the secret works and that if someone thoughyt happy thoughts while in a traffic jam the jam would clear up.

Are you a gap year student?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtYkyB35zkk

• Like 1

I wasted two minutes of my life reading the OP, wouldn't even think about wasting any more time buying the book, sounds like a coffee table ornament.

It's a best seller in the west from your world. The ppl that created the idea are not from thailand and the ppl that made is a bestseller are not from thailand. So care to explain this?

• Like 1

I've seen the movie based on the book. My take away was it spiritually based greed. Think happy thoughts about getting this or that and ye shall receive. I the book is like the film, I can't recommend one bit. People I know have bought into this whole "secret" deal. Not a one of them have benefitted that I can see. All were disappointed. While some of the processes seemed valid, the proposal for their use as I saw them came off as selfish.

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

I wasted two minutes of my life reading the OP, wouldn't even think about wasting any more time buying the book, sounds like a coffee table ornament.

It's a best seller in the west from your world. The ppl that created the idea are not from thailand and the ppl that made is a bestseller are not from thailand. So care to explain this?

The Tamagotchi sold in millions in the west that doesn't make it good, just means that there millions of gullible fad addicts there.

I take 'my world' with me and it is more than the location I happened to be born in, much more.

The secret is "creative visualization" It is based on the laws of attraction, something I believe in.

I believe there is truth in it. But it is not an instant gratification thing and has to be more than just a conscience effort. It must be put in the sub conscience and given time to appear and not always the way you want it.

I will give you an example. I always wanted to retire at 60 but it was never financially viable. I wound up retiring at 57 through an accident that pays me a very handsome sum of money every month and is very little of a problem to me in my daily life.

I had always wanted to travel but lacked the courage to go to a foreign country where I knew nothing or any body. It was through the company that I worked for giving me a pretty much all expenses paid 6 week holiday in Mexico and a $1,300 spending check along with the fact that my boss was going that I first experienced travel later with a friend to Bali where I experienced getting off a plane in a foreign country and finding lodgings.

Now I have no problem. Both those examples were the result of years of thinking about them. Not just sitting around doing nothing. They were in my sub conscience. My trip to Thailand came out of the blue the opportunity just appeared to me all at once. My plan was a cruise in the Caribbean and all of a sudden unexpectedly the chance to come to Thailand appeared with only an additional charge of $175 U S. I came I saw I liked it went home and got rid of all my obligations and physical things that I could not bring with me and here I am 3 years later. Enjoying life in Thailand.

For myself wishful dreaming with out real meaning behind it is useless. It must be some thing in your sub conscience and not just bar talk and it will come in it's own time. Not mine.

• Like 1

The Tamagotchi sold in millions in the west that doesn't make it good, just means that there millions of gullible fad addicts there.

I take 'my world' with me and it is more than the location I happened to be born in, much more.

I wonder if you feel any sense of irony when you wrote that and when you write stuff on thai ppl like they are superstitious, they are like this or that etc. Apparently it doesn't apply to everyone cos if it's say a thai person he's some poorly educated superstitious hick and that is his world.

These types of self help books have been around for ages. "The power of positive thinking" by Napaleon Hill.. It was just the newest fad at the time and there will always be some people who are searching for that "easy" way to get rich. Wasn't it P.T. Barnum that said - there's a sucker born every minute? My theory is, if some book makes you smile about some misfortune intead of swear, cuss and pull out a gun, good. The world needs more smiles than guns.

• Like 1

The book along with the creators of it have already been proved numerous times as shonks. It is a scam. It netted it's authors millions of dollars. That is the only real secret. Of course you can attract things in life. But these guys take it to a whole new level.

Do some more research on it. It was a scam.

• Like 1