Can babies learn both Thai and English at the same time?

My wife and I are thinking about having a baby soon and we're wondering if the baby brain can learn both languages at the same time? I guess they probably can and this might be a silly question.. Tell me, you grizzled Mom and Pop veterans, what's your experience?

My baby is doing exactly this at the moment. Some words are quite clearly spoken in Thai, with others in English. For what it's worth I've read about both the positives and negatives of this very subject. One article I read spoke of how beneficial it is to introduce a child to another language as early as possible. Whereas another article I read said that learning two languages so early in life can in fact have a detrimental effect on the child as they pick up their native language much slower because of the use of an additional langauge.

So to be honest, I'm none the wiser if it is good or not but I'd also be interested to hear about anyone elses experience in this.

My daughter is just over 5 and has lived in Saudi for most of that time. We speak to her in both English and Thai and she can speak both (including a little Issan). I would probably say she was a tad behind her English speaking mates earlier on but not now and due to the British school where she goes, she has a lovely neutral accent.

Thinking about introducing her to Spanish lessons soon.

• Like 2

My daughter is 4 years old and speaks both Thai and English very well. As another poster stated until around 2 her vocabulary was not as developed based solely on the fact that she was dealing with 2 languages. My son who is coming up to 2 years old seems to be following a similar pattern.

My wife taught both alpha bets, numbers in both languages and spoke with the children in Thai. When I was there we spoke English. This was pre-school. Both are fluent in Thai and English, picked up some Arabic whilst living in UAE and my daughter practices French and German now. They think learning a language is easy.

My baby is doing exactly this at the moment. Some words are quite clearly spoken in Thai, with others in English. For what it's worth I've read about both the positives and negatives of this very subject. One article I read spoke of how beneficial it is to introduce a child to another language as early as possible. Whereas another article I read said that learning two languages so early in life can in fact have a detrimental effect on the child as they pick up their native language much slower because of the use of an additional langauge.

So to be honest, I'm none the wiser if it is good or not but I'd also be interested to hear about anyone elses experience in this.

Our son is now three and understands well English, Greek and Thai but he speaks only in English and Greek.

The doctor said that by the age of four he will be able to speak them all and know who he will talk to in each language (me, the mother, the grandmother...)

My son has 2 boys, is married to a Japanese girl and they live in Australia. He was a Japanese interpreter and is fluent in Japanese, even at a technical level. They were both keen that the boys don't lose their Japanese heritage. For the first few years they only spoke Japanese in the home and supplemented this with japanese lessons from books. About a year before the eldest boy started kinder they taught him some english,but his english skills were certainly wanting when he began school.

He is now eight, he is the top student in the class. His English, and Japanese language (and writing) is excellent and he jumps from one language to the other with ease. As someone said, they are like a sponge at that age and his english leapt ahead. The six year old got the same treatment, but obviously he was exposed to more english due to his elder brother, 2 years older. He also chatters away, fluently in both languages.

I am the first to admit that I had strong doubts about this approach, I was afraid that their english skills would be inadequate.

I am also happy to admit that I was wrong but would emphasise that both parents put in a lot of work to achieve the standard that the boys have.

• Like 2

Yes, why not..? When I was about 2 years old i spoke three languages fluent; swedish, finnish and greek

Totally different languages but when you are a child you pick up languages very fast.

Of course you must here it around you constantly to learn.

Edited by milys

Don't see why the rule.

We all mix English and Thai, doesn't seem to bother baby.

One of the only risks of teaching children 2 languages is that they get two broken languages and not one or two whole. Zero risk if you follow the "rule".

If both parents are bilingual 100% fluent in both languages then the only problem would be when the child begins to try to separate the two languages

If either parent isn't 100% fluent and have a foreign accent then you are making problems for the child by speaking the "wrong" language. Your native language should be used so the child gets it 100% correct with all the colors and shades, will be able to read between the lines and some day be a poet or what ever they wish. Give them two broken languages and they will never understand either perfectly.

For the child, in the long run, better an uneducated ghetto parent give a child his/her language than an educated one give them one they don't fully comprehend.

( father of 5. 20 year span all bilingual 3 different languages and I've studied the subject at University level )

Yes, they can. All those theories from the 1970's were bogus--it won't "confuse" the kid or anything. They can handle it. Their progress in both languages will vary over time depending on where they are and how much they speak, but they will be fine. Just make sure not to let them lag in both. Lagging a little in one isn't really a problem...but if they reach 7 or 8 and still don't quite have a native language, you are getting into problem territory.

Anyway, lots about it online. Shouldn't be a problem. One way I have seen it done is, for example, when living in Thailand, only have both parents speak English at home and Thai outside or viceversa if you are in an English speaking country. Not saying that is the only way...just a way I have seen work.

• Like 1

If I can give you my personal observations through experience and research doing my master's degree and when I was a principal in the US. I also did a survey on this particular topic during my PhD.

My conclusion was depending on the age of the child. The child should be near the fourth grade or 8 to 9 years old before teaching and additional language. They had a tendency of being the most receptive to any foreign language is during those years. Prior to those years they had a tendency to display mass confusion.

Parents have a tendency to promote an education at times way too early. The readiness level depends on the individual child. However, if promoting a foreign language to a child I would walk very cautiously at doing this at a very early age.

If seeking any additional information I would be happy to honor any questions that you may have.

One of my kids speaks Thai, Isarn, Korean, English and is learning Chinese. ^The other is fluent in English, Thai and speaks Isarn and Chinese. The more languages the better IMO as early as possible but they didn't start catching up until about 7 years old.

A few years short on my Psychology degree...but, from what I remember in my Child/Developmental Psychology course, the best thing you can do is utilize both languages. My son had no problem whatsover, Filipino, and was fluent in both English and Tagalog before entering Kinder 1 (Preschool at 4 yrs of age). He is now leaps and bounds ahead of his classmates.

Another pointer.... Children begin lose their ability to pickup a second language at a very early age...I am remembering by the age of six or seven.

The possibility of confusing your kid is non existant. They pick it up. You might have mom speak one language (Thai) and you another (English) as you are each best at your own.

You don't want him speaking "Tinglish"...so do away with the baby talk / mixed thai english. That goes for both you and your wife.

• Like 1

If I can give you my personal observations through experience and research doing my master's degree and when I was a principal in the US. I also did a survey on this particular topic during my PhD.

My conclusion was depending on the age of the child. The child should be near the fourth grade or 8 to 9 years old before teaching and additional language. They had a tendency of being the most receptive to any foreign language is during those years. Prior to those years they had a tendency to display mass confusion.

Parents have a tendency to promote an education at times way too early. The readiness level depends on the individual child. However, if promoting a foreign language to a child I would walk very cautiously at doing this at a very early age.

If seeking any additional information I would be happy to honor any questions that you may have.

There is a difference if you want bilingual kids.

I have a couple of Thai friends who both have PhDs in Language Aquisitionfrom English unis. They both recommended I always speak English to my kids from birth and my wife to speak only Thai. This is the best way for truely bilingual children.

• Like 2

Absolute no problem, contrary. Growing up multilingual is a lot easier and lasts longer than having to
learn languages in school!

I had an "international" up-bringing with 4 languages, English, German, Italian and my Mother's language.
As far back as I remember, I never had a problem communicating. Although, occasionally when we talk in
my family we use all four languages in the same sentence.

In college I had to learn an other two but forgot all about writing or grammar. (I never liked French anyway)

Through travelling I picked up several more languages but mostly, only spoken and easy forgotten again.

I used to be told:
"Learn languages and learn to play an instrument and the whole world opens up to you".
Looking today how I feel about it, I would say: "Spot on thumbsup.gif "

• Like 1

Many references to this subject matter. They all are pretty consistant on this.

For example:

Simultaneous Acquisition occurs when a child is raised bilingually from birth, or when the second language is introduced before the age of three (10). Children learning two languages simultaneously go through the same developmental stages as children learning one language. While bilingual children may start talking slightly later than monolingual children, they still begin talking within the normal range (11). From the very beginning of language learning, simultaneous bilinguals seem to acquire two separate languages (10). Early on, they are able to differentiate their two languages and have been shown to switch languages according to their conversation partner (e.g. speak French to a French-speaking parent, then switch to English with an English-speaking parent)

Courtesy of.... http://www.hanen.org/Helpful-Info/Articles/Bilingualism-in-Young-Children--Separating-Fact-fr.aspx