Hang Dong Hospital (MEDICAL COVER)thought I would see how it works

happyme

Went today to HANG DONG Hospital to see what kind of service we get for 30baht

the staff speak some English and guided me where to go it took me around 1.5 hours but I was informed that it would be a long wait as they were very busy. After doing blood pressure and weighing I waited to see the doctor when my turn arrived the doctor spoke good english I explained what my problem was she gave me prescription took it to pharmacy waited when called she gave me meds and asked me to pay cashier went there she gave me bill for 280Bt ask if I had card after giving card she asked for 30Baht

I thought the service was very good and would recommend HDH. Last time I went to hospital in UK I also waited a long time no complaints about the service

• Like 1

How did you get on the 30 baht plan? How many hours did the whole visit take? I went there once with terrible abdominal pain and they told me to get in line with the others. Must have been 70 waiting. I could barely stand up. We drove to Ram.

happyme

This sounds like a good experience when compared with my doctors surgery in the UK.

First, make an appointment to see the doctor and maybe wait 2 or 3 weeks, 5 weeks if you want a doctor of your choice.

After seeing the doctor, if you need a blood test for your problem make an appointment to see the nurse and wait another week or 2.

After the blood test wait another week for the results.

When the results are in make an appointment to see the doctor to discuss what treatment if any is required, so wait another couple of weeks for that consultation.

If you need hospital treatment wait another 4 or 5 weeks to go to hospital .....................

• Like 1

Did you register for the card at Hang Dong Hospital ??? ie do the test and pay the money and get the card from there ??

yes and in the afternoon they have a farang to help you thro the paperwork etc when I did mine it took just over 1 hours remember 2 photo and copy of your main page of passport /house book and copy of thai ID card

Recently the Thai Ministry of Public Health (MOPH) expanded the coverage of their universal heath coverage plan to include migrant workers and some provinces, blessedly including Chiang Mai, have included ALL foreigners in the expansion. A pinned post explains this:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/683276-government-insurance-scheme-for-expats/

Nakorn Ping Hospital, a large hospital which serves Muang and Mae Rim districts, is running a six month Pilot program where they're specifically encouraging foreigners to enroll and utilize the program and collecting data on utlization patterns and costs. The CM MOPH wrote a summary on how to enroll and utilize services at Nakorn Ping which LCN translated and is keeping up-to-date as the MOPH and NPK notify LCN of changes:

http://www.lannacarenet.org/foreigner-health-insurance-program-moph-directive/

Other hospitals in Chiang Mai province, including Hang Dong, are reported to be accepting foreigner enrollments. The procedures may differ from those at Nakorn Ping. Specifically, Hang Dong requires two photographs. Also, the wait time to obtain a card and hours when they accept enrollment may be different.

But overall, the coverage is the same. If Hang Dong hospital is not able to offer a needed service to a patient, then they will refer the patient to another hospital that is able to provide the needed service. It is reported on Wikipedia that Hang Dong is a 30 bed hospital but Nakorn Ping is a 800 bed hospital -- that gives you an idea of their relative size and capabilities.

Oh yes, Mapguy's rather cryptic and not-especially-helpful suggestion was to report actual experience like the OP's on the thread that Sheryl opened to report experience with the new MOPH health insurance for foreigner program:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/683275-government-health-insurance-for-expats-continued/page-2?hl=%2Bhealth+%2Binsurance#entry7077045

In all fairness to the OP -- this thread has drifted to the back pages and is now known only to people who follow TV every day. Maybe it, too, can be pinned, but not locked. It would be valuable to keep all the reports of actual experience in one thread.

^ Hmm; Hang Dong hospital was recently rebuilt, just a couple of years ago. If being relocated and rebuilt it is probably due to its current congestion and lack of parking...

Did you register for the card at Hang Dong Hospital ??? ie do the test and pay the money and get the card from there ??

yes and in the afternoon they have a farang to help you thro the paperwork etc when I did mine it took just over 1 hours remember 2 photo and copy of your main page of passport /house book and copy of thai ID card

Thai ID card ??? you mean the wifes ??? I don't have a Thai ID card nor would any other foreigner

Also if I dont have a housebook (the wife has one) anything else I need ot take like copy of visa

cheers

Thai ID card ??? you mean the wifes ??? I don't have a Thai ID card nor would any other foreigner

Also if I dont have a housebook (the wife has one) anything else I need ot take like copy of visa

cheers

yes wifes id and her book for house and she should go with you makes life easy no copy of visa just passport with your picture on

As Nancy alluded to ALL the info is on the original thread and if it was a pinned thred it would be an advantage to all.

I got my card from HD ,simple,and will use it as a back up to my normal Dr and in case of emergencies or unplanned accidents !

Cant believe Hang Dong Hospital was only built a couple of years ago it looks at least 20 years old.

I register at HDH last week (21st) and collected my card today (26th).

As a matter of interest at the time of enrolment my blood pressure was 174/114 which seemed incredibly high but when I collected my card today I got a sheet of paper covered in ticks and no session with a doctor about my BP!

Maybe I need to make a separate appointment or they have decided their BP machine is up the creek..

I also got back one of my photographs with a large hole in it just for good measure!!

I register at HDH last week (21st) and collected my card today (26th).

As a matter of interest at the time of enrolment my blood pressure was 174/114 which seemed incredibly high but when I collected my card today I got a sheet of paper covered in ticks and no session with a doctor about my BP!

Maybe I need to make a separate appointment or they have decided their BP machine is up the creek..

I also got back one of my photographs with a large hole in it just for good measure!!

Re BP You might have what is commonly called "white coat fever' ie when you enter a hospital/dental clinic etc you create inner stress which causes a dramatic increase.

It happens to me all the time,the nurses at RAM are aghast when my reading is similar around 180/100 and they always want to check again as I leave by which time its down to an acceptable level.At home I have a machine and its always around 130/75. They should have taken a second reading at the time and one as you left. Best to get it checked out.

I had a mild stroke last year and my reading ,on admittance to hospital,was similar to yours...very high.

Yes, davehowden that BP does seem very high -- so did you ask them to recheck? Did they check both arms? Did they recheck with an old-fashioned cuff and stethoscope, not just an automated machine? Did they recheck after you'd completed your health screening tests. Did they recheck when you returned to pick up your card? Did you ask them to recheck? Did you get it checked out at another hospital? Weren't you concerned? I sure as heck would have been!

You know, it's up to you to take ownership for your own health. It may be fun to whine and diss the Hangdong Hospital on Thai Visa, but we're not going to be much help if you have a stroke.

Edited by NancyL

Yes, davehowden that BP does seem very high -- so did you ask them to recheck? Did they check both arms? Did they recheck with an old-fashioned cuff and stethoscope, not just an automated machine? Did they recheck after you'd completed your health screening tests. Did they recheck when you returned to pick up your card? Did you ask them to recheck? Did you get it checked out at another hospital? Weren't you concerned? I sure as heck would have been!

You know, it's up to you to take ownership for your own health. It may be fun to whine and diss the Hangdong Hospital on Thai Visa, but we're not going to be much help if you have a stroke.

I was just reporting what experience I had there, I was not "whining or dissing them" as you put it.

When I picked up my card it was from an office with only an "officer", no doctor to ask for a recheck.

As I said I intend to go back and get them to check it properly, just a shame it could not have been done first time around?

Edited by davehowden
  • Like 1

Hang dong Hospital have a clinic friday mornings for people with high blood pressure I was told 8am to midday so Dave give it a try I will for sure

Yes, I spotted that on card they gave me, will certainly go to see why a BP of 174/114 on my form resulted in a box tick for "HEART OK".

Update on a visit to Hang Dong Hospital.

I went to see a doctor about my blood pressure being high.

Arrived at 08:10 and left at 11:20, having seen a doctor who booked me for further test next Friday before prescribing any medication.

I am in no position to judge the competence of the doctor I saw but I was impressed, i suppose that is a function of your previous doctor/ hospital experiences.

Obviously it is not going to be like visiting a doctors surgery in the UK where unless you are at "deaths door" you have to book an appointment a couple of weeks in advance but you are then "in and out" pretty quickly, perhaps it was more like an A&E facility.

Checked in at the main desk, show your Health Card and state your reason for visiting, collect a plastic number and go the counter over on your left which I believe triggers the pulling of your medical file from the central registry and works out what processes you need to go through before seeing the doctor.

In my case it was a sit and wait to have you weight, BP and temperature taken, details printed off and attached to your now "pulled" details. This was about a 30 minute wait but is obviously dependent on the number of people attending.

My record card along with BP details was then passed to another desk which asked about my health habits (smoking, drinking etc) and added some notes for the doctor onto my BP slip.

Move to another area and wait to see a doctor. There are 6 small offices so I assume a maximum of 6 doctors, all seemed to be busy. Sit for about another 30 minutes.

See the appointed doctor, presumably the next one to come free or maybe by illness type. You sit outside the doctors office waiting until the current patient emerges, no name or number calling, or squeezing out of your seat across a hundred pairs of legs etc, very efficient.

The doctor I saw spoke very good English, was concise and too the point and did not bother to tut tut about my smoking or drinking habits.

The doctor writes your next move (medication, more tests or both) onto a form which you return to the same desk that lined you up to see the doctor. They print off your next appointment card or medication requirements or maybe both.

Take that paperwork and go to the "PAY HERE" office. Show your medical card and pay 30 baht, if any medication involved go to the next window, pass over the prescription, show your receipt for 30 baht and sit and wait for your pills.

Not too much worry about hearing your name being called as being the only ex-pat there your pretty obvious, most times the nurse just waved for me to do this or that.

Yes a long wait but it was my first visit so I did not know what to expect, next time and "knowing the ropes" it will all seem a lot less confusing.

PS. I found ample car parking in the road to the rear of the hospital.

Mr Happy clap2.gif

• Like 1

^ Hmm; Hang Dong hospital was recently rebuilt, just a couple of years ago. If being relocated and rebuilt it is probably due to its current congestion and lack of parking...

A pay-for-use lot has opened. It is never full. I drive past e veryday. Unless in dire need I would not use that hospital (3 blocks from my house).

A pay-for-use lot has opened. It is never full. I drive past e veryday. Unless in dire need I would not use that hospital (3 blocks from my house).

Why not?

Went there with a Thai friend 6 months ago. I was having terrible stomach area pains. Vomiting etc. We walked right into the ER and were chased out. My impression was a very unclean environment... The waiting room had at least 60 people in it. We drove to Ram. Not sure the extra pain while driving was worth it but that incident just left a bad impression. What do they do for heart attacks?

Went there with a Thai friend 6 months ago. I was having terrible stomach area pains. Vomiting etc. We walked right into the ER and were chased out. My impression was a very unclean environment... The waiting room had at least 60 people in it. We drove to Ram. Not sure the extra pain while driving was worth it but that incident just left a bad impression. What do they do for heart attacks?

Hope I never find out sad.png

My good Doctor gave me some advice 18 months ago when I had a mild stroke.It was put the RAM Emergency Heart number in my phone and my wife's.

I haven't had to test it yet thank goodness but I believe they have 2 mobile units, fully equipped, for heart attacks.You certainly don't go to Hang Dong and a few other hospitals that are not equipped for emergencies.What does it cost,no idea,does it matter ?

My good Doctor gave me some advice 18 months ago when I had a mild stroke.It was put the RAM Emergency Heart number in my phone and my wife's.

I haven't had to test it yet thank goodness but I believe they have 2 mobile units, fully equipped, for heart attacks.You certainly don't go to Hang Dong and a few other hospitals that are not equipped for emergencies.What does it cost,no idea,does it matter ?

Good advice, can you post the number please?

Exactly. If one is having a heart attack, stroke, etc. DO NOT go to some place like Hang Dong Hospital, Sansai Hospital, Saraphi Hospital, etc. Get a friend/relative/neighbor to take you to RAM, Sriphat, McCormick, Lanna, etc. Otherwise you may not make it! About 3 weeks ago we were at the gas station in Sansai and an ambulance from Sansai Hospital pulled up and 2 guys got out and opened the back door and pulled out the gurney while one guy was doing CPR to the patient. Both the g/f and I noticed that the "ambulance" was nothing more than a utility van with ZERO medical equipment inside. About 5 minutes later another ambulance pulled up from another hospital and 2 other guys and a Nurse got out and started working on the patient right at the gas station, putting in IV's, attaching heart monitors, etc. There was a lot of shouting going on and then the patient was quickly transferred to the other ambulance which we could see was fully equipped. Obviously Sansai Hospital could not handle whatever the cardiac problem was with the patient (and a lot of valuable time was lost).

Just occurred to me. Does the reverse option apply?

Obviously Ram etc would incur big bucks. I wonder if it is possible to then be transferred to " your" government hospital after the initial treatment?Just a thought.

We do have BUPA but will adding the gov scheme in the coming week.

cheers

You will need just the passport, and prove of residence, like a rent agreement or utilities bill. Married or single OK. No need a picture. Will pay 2800THB for the application and medical examination including blood test, urine test, and lung x rays, and the annual enrollment fee. Go in morning hours before 10AM. After the examination, they will take your picture, and you will get the card in 2 or 3 days. That's all.

• Like 1

Just occurred to me. Does the reverse option apply?

Obviously Ram etc would incur big bucks. I wonder if it is possible to then be transferred to " your" government hospital after the initial treatment?Just a thought.

We do have BUPA but will adding the gov scheme in the coming week.

Ugh, gee, perhaps you need to look at the pinned post at the top of the forum about the Thai gov't health insurance for foreigners. CM Ram is not participating in any way, except that you can go there for emergency treatment, pay out of your own pocket and they'll re-reimburse you at the gov't rat rate. Any short fall between what CM Ram charged and the gov't rate comes out of your pocket.