Uncertainty of retirement extension even requirements are OK ?

If someone wants to retire somewhere I believe it is usually with the idea to stay there until death. At least for us this is true (Thai wife,33 - my mother,89 and me,58).

Here comes one of the most worrisome factors for me in our whole planning to relocate to Thailand:

In Thailand a non immigrant O requires an extension for retirement each year. There are requirements to be met like 800'000 B in the bank.

But it seems that sometimes this is not enough. Immigration might occasionally want the proof that one is not working and may request evidence of some income on top of the 800K guarantee. It would be easier without, but I understand that. And of course we will have such an income, otherwise we could not plan to stay. The question is their approval:

Our source of income is: a) Monthly pension of my mother from 3 countries - the money will be collected in an account in Switzerland first - approx. 120KB total p.m., cool.png Income derived from investments of or of the capital itself of approx. 25 Million BHT - most probably from accounts abroad. It is planned that my wilfe will own those (because of inheritance reasons - I suspect you might have some comments to that - but believe me this is OK). In 7 years I will have my own small pension of appprox. 60KB that will drop in in addition. For us it does not matter who owns the source of income, we will live on what is generated overall.

1. Will Immigration accept for this proof of income on top of the 800KB per person at the time of extension what we make as a family or has this to be proven for my mother and me individually ? All they want is to have a proof that I do not need to work or not ? It should not matter from where the money comes as long as all is legal - my thinking. Even if it would theoretically come from my wife making money with a business in Thailand - to stress this idea a bit more. Or not ?

2. Would they accept ATM-slips with withdrawals from 2 seperate bank accounts (mother and me) in Thailand to which some money will be regularily transferred from abroad - irrespective of who the owner of this account abroad is ?

3. Me and my mother may of course have a Thai bank book showing the transfers from abroad as well (In case of my mother from an account that she owns herself, in my case funds from my wifes account). This route for my mother seems to be easier as proof of pensions (since they come from 3 countries - think of the administration)

Do you think that this will satisfy the immigration requirements then ? If not not do you have any ideas of easier ways ?

All we want is to adhere to the regulations and live in peace, but It is absolutely required that there is no uncertainty each year whether we will be granted an extension or not. We cannot afford that since when we leave Switzerland to head for Thailand we cannot return because we have German passports and our residence permit in CH will be void after 6 month out of the country. When we go we have to rely that we can stay. We do not have a very big financial background but a sufficient one - but how big are chances that we could even then not be granted an extension sometime for whatever strange reason ?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe you had another topic running ?

You only need to meet the basic requirements for an extension of stay !

It would seem you are over complicating what in essence is a simple process.

What other topic are you talking about ? I will have many topics running before I can clearify what I need to know in the process of retiring in Thailand.

And thanks for your answer - you believe that 800KB in the bank is sufficient and there is no need to worry about anything else. Unfortunately I have read in this forum about other experiences. I stated as well why it is so crucial for us to be sure.

In Thailand there is no absolute certainty. There may be an immigration police order out of the blue changing all the rules and old rules may be "grandfathered" or not. Living in uncertainty is part of living in Thailand on temporary extensions of stay. A new government, new head of immigration, new rules. Happens at least once in a decade.

You either bite the bullet and hope for the best, or stay home. Up to you.

• Like 1

In Thailand there is no absolute certainty. There may be an immigration police order out of the blue changing all the rules and old rules may be "grandfathered" or not. Living in uncertainty is part of living in Thailand on temporary extensions of stay. A new government, new head of immigration, new rules. Happens at least once in a decade.

Not aware of any previous retirement rules which have not been "grandfathered" when changed.

Only one bank account with 800,000 Baht is needed, and it has to be in your name only.

Your Mother applies as your dependant and does not need to show income or savings.

I am Thai a caretaker for 81 retirement American old man since he was 71. All he needs is A THAI BANK ACCOUNT to meet 800K together with a LETTER FROM BANK stated same amount an same dated. He is always keep this amount in bank he did not spend this money even he can. He never get any problem for his visa extension for 10 years already.

• Like 2

In over 20 years, I've never been asked for any further proof of finances above those required in the rules. I've heard stories of the odd immigration officer wanting to know what someone is living on, but those are only stories. I've never actually met anyone who has been asked that.

The annual renewal is straightforward and trouble free as long as:

1. You have the required funds and paperwork

2. You're polite and reasonably dressed

Only one bank account with 800,000 Baht is needed, and it has to be in your name only.

Your Mother applies as your dependant and does not need to show income or savings.

I am Thai a caretaker for 81 retirement American old man since he was 71. All he needs is A THAI BANK ACCOUNT to meet 800K together with a LETTER FROM BANK stated same amount an same dated. He is always keep this amount in bank he did not spend this money even he can. He never get any problem for his visa extension for 10 years already.

Good for you.

Just to note he is ALLOWED to spend down that 800K but it must be refreshed annually (using that bank method) and not go one baht under 800K for a THREE MONTH period before his appointment at immigration for his annual extension.

Just posting so that people don't get the incorrect idea that such an account can't be touched and can't ever go under 800K. It CAN be touched.

Also note some people like your American who do not touch their 800K ARE questioned about the source of their living expenses in Thailand because the bank account showing no activity might leave a question mark about that.

It is true that immigration CAN ask for additional documentation for any reason they like. That's not saying they do that all that often unless there is a REASONABLE motivation behind the suspicion.

My personal view is that there is no need to be super paranoid about immigration but that those looking for 100 percent solid guaranteed lifetime SECURITY in expat retirement should really consider looking at another country. Thailand does not offer that and makes no claims that it does or indeed EVER will. The very nature of the one year annual extension system with no chance EVER to upgrade status is not fully secure by definition.

I also think it is wise that the OP consider how it is going to feel to live in a country in a status without rock solid lifetime residency security. The problem is, however, you can NEVER really know how that will feel to you personally until you actually do it. But you can know it will be less than ideal if that's what you're looking for -- the rock solid long residency security -- as is typical of expat retirees.

Edited by Jingthing

Thank you all !

Now it has become more transparent. I think: Expect the best and be prepared for the worst.This topic here is about the latter.

When I leave 800K in the bank, I would only reluctantly do that without proper interest. As far as I know on a fixed asset account you can get around 3.5%.

This means that the 800K will not be touched, because the money is frozen there.

This means in turn that the immigration officer MIGHT ask me on what money I live (seeing no movements on the account) because he might suspect I work. I look quite young despite my 58 years.

So far so good because the truth is: 1. I will not be working. 2. I do have money to live on without working

So the question is: How can I convey to him that this is true and all is according to the regulations without doubt:

1. Would he most likely accept a bank book of a 2nd bank account of mine in TH (seperate from the 800K that is to show movement) to which some money will be regularily transferred from abroad and drawn out - irrespective of who the owner of this account abroad is (example: my wife)? I guess in a bank book you only see that a transfer has been made (maybe you do see that it is from abroad - but I dont know - if not then the question is even more valid). I am asking this paranoid question because IF it matters and IF the officer askes for this I would not like to be cought with my pants down.

2. Solution if it matters: I will be the owner (This means then that I would have to keep the money in my name, which I would NOT prefer (the mentioned inheritance reasons, complicated thing)

3. If it is not important even that the money comes from abroad, ATM-slips might even suffice. I recall to have read about that in this forum.

Sorry for being so complicated on this one. Just think of the consequences if the residency is not granted despite fulfilling the requirements. Get my 89 year old mother (and including the daughter of my wife which I did not mention so far ? smile.png) and relocate to Laos ?

Edited by moogradod

Please provide a link where the retirement visa has changed in the past decade. Of course you can't because it hasn't.

The man asked a simple question. Give him an accurate answer. He is married and really only needs 400,000 in the bank for an extension based on marriage. Or his pension minus 800,000 for a retirement Visa. Or the easy way 800,000 in a savings account in a Thai bank. For 3 months before the first time and then 2 months. Did I get that right?

Please provide a link where the retirement visa has changed in the past decade. Of course you can't because it hasn't.

The man asked a simple question. Give him an accurate answer. He is married and really only needs 400,000 in the bank for an extension based on marriage. Or his pension minus 800,000 for a retirement Visa. Or the easy way 800,000 in a savings account in a Thai bank. For 3 months before the first time and then 2 months.

Did I get that right?

Not quite.

2 months FIRST time the 3 months for subsequent extensions.

• Like 1

The man asked a simple question. Give him an accurate answer. He is married and really only needs 400,000 in the bank for an extension based on marriage. Or his pension minus 800,000 for a retirement Visa. Or the easy way 800,000 in a savings account in a Thai bank. For 3 months before the first time and then 2 months.

Did I get that right?

Not quite.

2 months FIRST time the 3 months for subsequent extensions.

OK it's been 10 years since I brought the cash.

• Like 1

Not aware of any previous retirement rules which have not been "grandfathered" when changed.

The precedent of grandfathering is encouraging and is certainly a sign of some compassionate intentions coming from the immigration policy makers. clap2.gif

HOWEVERsad.png , keep in mind that it isn't very uncommon for long term serial annual extenders to mess up in some way or get messed up in some way making their CURRENT extension impossible. In these cases, typically the applicant "starts over" with a new O visa obtained either abroad or in Thailand.

This unfortunate occurrence, again not uncommon, would basically KILL your grandfathering feature as you would indeed be starting over at the CURRENT requirements whatever they are at that time.

I do wish (in vain I reckon) that immigration would consider a path towards residence status upgrade for continuous annual extenders (say 5 years plus).

Edited by Jingthing

The man asked a simple question. Give him an accurate answer. He is married and really only needs 400,000 in the bank for an extension based on marriage. Or his pension minus 800,000 for a retirement Visa. Or the easy way 800,000 in a savings account in a Thai bank. For 3 months before the first time and then 2 months. Did I get that right?

In case of marriage, I can provide you an example right away. I came here in 2007, when the 400k in the bank option wasn't there. It was re-instated after that and I've been on those extensions since. In that case the change was positive. BTW it's not a visa, it's an extension of stay based on retirement. Visa is what you need to enter the country, permission to stay is what you need to stay. Unless you're Thai or not in Thailand, you have the stamps on your passport. Check them.

Googling brought up the following police orders:

http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/2notice/rtp606EN.pdf (2549)

http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/doc/temporarystay/policy777-2551_en.pdf (2551)

The ones from 2546, 2542,2541,2538 and earlier I couldn't find. Looks like it's more like 3/decade. The old timers here can probably tell you what it was more than a decade earlier. The OP might have three decades to go. His question was "absolutely required that there is no uncertainty each year" - "how big are chances that we could even then not be granted an extension sometime for whatever strange reason ?". The answer to that is, in three decades you'll probably go through 10 immigration orders. The absolute certainty is not there. Accurate enough ?

Thanks a lot. I hope the community does not get too much upset over my questions.

I understand the uncertainty. Changes are happening more often in Thailand. But the general consensus here seems to be that those can be managed. You are all still here and obviously did exactly that. They wont change the rules that drastically that everyone has to leave or nobody may come in, I think......

However, may I ask Jingthing based on his statement: <quote> "HOWEVERsad.png.pagespeed.ce.cyRRGRfa7C.png , keep in mind that it isn't very uncommon for long term serial annual extenders to mess up in some way or get messed up in some way" <quote end> - what the most common mistakes are that annual extenders make to mess up or get messed up ?

I ruled out the marriage extension so far, since it seems more complicated then retirement, and my mother may not be "depended" then. And there is still the question of "where does the money for your living come from".

Which brings me back to my question for the scenario in which immigration MIGHT WANT proof of income above the 800K as posted above today 15:09 CET. This is a "just in case" scenario which many of you might not have encountered yet, but some have.

<quote>

1. Would he most likely accept a bank book of a 2nd bank account of mine in TH (seperate from the 800K that is to show movement) to which some money will be regularily transferred from abroad and drawn out - irrespective of who the owner of this account abroad is (example: my wife)? I guess in a bank book you only see that a transfer has been made (maybe you do see that it is from abroad - but I dont know - if not then the question is even more valid). I am asking this paranoid question because IF it matters and IF the officer askes for this I would not like to be cought with my pants down.

<quote end>

My own experience is that things in Thailand are sometimes surprisingly difficult or easy (a surprise in any case smile.png ) but everything gets done in the end. I hope it stays that way.

Edited by moogradod

In my case the proof of income has been lines on my bank book. So if you're worried about that, either have another book with some traffic in it, or move the 800k in and out of the country every year. I doubt the immigration officials will go through the cryptic codes in the transfers noted in the book unless you really, really manage to piss them off.

And in any case, TiT, when all else fails there's still the corruption to rely on. As long as you stay flexible, no worries.

In my opinion a typical way people using the 800K method "mess up" is failing to fully meet the money seasoning requirement. Reasons could include mechanical issues with the incoming money transfer or an unexpected expense (or accidental spending) making the balance go under the 800K during the period. Also probably medical situations where just staying alive becomes a higher priority than properly preparing for an extension application. Or really ANY kind of crisis. Such is life. Unpredictable stuff happens!

It's not the end of the game to mess up. You CAN start over with a new visa and new first time extension. People do, assuming they can still financially qualify in a fresh application.

As far as "proof of income" when using the 800K method, be clear that is NOT a requirement of the application, only a possibility of being questioned about it. Also be clear using the 800K method there is actually no requirement to have even ONE baht of income! There is also absolutely no requirement to transfer even ONE BAHT into Thailand annually. If they're asking you about such things, they're likely suspicious that you are illegally working. So your "proof" assuming you are not is anything reasonable that shows some visible means of support in any way including showing financial assets without ANY income. They can accept it or not and in my opinion if the story sounds half way credible, they will (again they usually DO NOT ask!). People who spend down their account during the year and then top it up are probably much less likely to be asked about this because the movement is the evidence that they are spending money from that account to live on in Thailand.

As far as grandfathering current financial levels in future, they have done so in the past, but that is hardly any kind of guarantee they will do so in the future. Many people do read it that way and perhaps it will be so. But you know they can make any kind of change they like, including a complete restructure of the entire visa system, but you could say that about any country.

Edited by Jingthing

The OP has some some misconceptions, I'm going to try to help clarify the 800,000 financial requirement applying for individuals who're applying for a "Non-Immigrant-OA extension of stay". Usually referred to by the misnomer "Retirement Visa". There's also a "Married Visa", which I'm not familiar with all the actual requirements. I only know that there's a 400,000 baht financial requirement.

There are three ways the 800,000 financial requirement can be met for a "Non-Immigrant-OA extension of stay:

1. Thai Bank account only, in this case the money needs to be in the account at least 90 days prior to application for "extension to say". Note: The 90 day requirement is a newer requirement and was fully implemented within the past 10 years, so nothing is etched in stone.
  2. Certified income from abroad, in this case the only requirement all that is required is a notarized letter from a foreign embassy. They don't care about banking details or income sources.
  3. Combined certified income from abroad and Thai Bank balance totaling 800,000 baht or more. Usually used by people who's certified income from abroad is less than 800,000 baht. In this case there isn't a requirement for how long the money needs to be in the account before you apply the extension of stay.

With regards to the Thai Bank requirement:

1. The account must be in the applicant's name only.
  2. It must be a regular savings account at a Thai Bank. A "fixed asset' account can't be used. The reason is, the Thai Immigration wants the money to be readily available. They figure it takes 800,000 baht/year for a foreigner to live in Thailand. A 'fixed asset' account generally has withdrawal restrictions.
  3. The applicant will need a current certified letter from the bank. Usually dated on the day or the day before applicant is submitted for the 'extension of stay'. Only the original certified letter. Copies aren't accepted.
  4. The applicant will need a signed copy of all used pages of the 'bank book'. Sometimes they will ask to see the 'bank book' to verify the copies are 'genuine'. It depends on the immigration official processing the "extension of stay".
  5. They're only interested in only one account. They aren't interested in other bank accounts the applicant may have.

With regards to the certified income from abroad:

1. Foreign Embassy's usually don't require supporting documentation. They usually require just an sworn testimony of oath that the information provided about income amount is true.
  2. The certification letter from a Foreign Embassy must be dated within the last 6 months. Note: this requirement has changed several times.
  3. The applicant will need the original letter. Copies aren't accepted.

Note: The requirements for the certification of income letter has changed several times. At one time within the past 10 years, an applicant had to go to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs to get a letter stating the Foreign Embassy official's signature is official. That has since been dropped.

When it comes to working in Thailand, foreigners must possess a work permit to do work in Thailand. Work permits define what and where the work can be performed. Some work is prohibited by foreigners and is prohibited. The work definition is quite vague and very inclusive. Just about everything could be considered as work. It entirely depends on what a Thai Police official determines at a location where work is being performed. By the way, Thai Immigration, is a section of the Thai Police. Voluntary or charity work can and has been considered work requiring a work permit. For example musical jamming with others at a public place is often considered as work, even though it's voluntary or for charity. Foreigners with Tourist Visas and Non-Immigrant-OA extensions of stay can't get a work permit. Hench if you're not working in a work environment you don't need a work permit. Thailand has never discouraged income from investment in Thailand. In fact they encourage it, so see you're actually allowed income from Thailand. That's a reason they don't care where your income comes from. Remember KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid). You'll have less problems. Don't consider things that aren't required. Foreigners often create their own problems by doing something that's not required and out of the ordinary process.

The OP mentioned something about retiring in Laos. In Laos, Visa requirements keep changing. Last I checked, the only long stay visa that could be obtained was a 'Business Visa' for which was outrageous priced and required the individual to depart Laos and reenter periodically. Visa and cohabitation requirements in Laos also change frequently. At one time it was against the law to for a foreigner to be a cohabitant with a Lao woman. Both the foreigner and the owner of the residence could be punished. Law enforcement is worse than Thailand, when it comes to who to know and who to bribe. Corruption is much worse than Thailand. The OP also should look into medical services. They're also changing. At one time, foreigners had to come to Thailand for medial care. There were some other tough requirements about foreigners assets such an land and vehicle ownership, and vehicle operation. There's different requirements for foreigners from different countries of origin.

With most '3rd world' counties. Laws and regulations vary with the political situation at the time. Nothing is guaranteed. Retirement is always 'crap shot'.

Edited by BB1950

Thank you all !

Now it has become more transparent. I think: Expect the best and be prepared for the worst.This topic here is about the latter.

When I leave 800K in the bank, I would only reluctantly do that without proper interest. As far as I know on a fixed asset account you can get around 3.5%.

This means that the 800K will not be touched, because the money is frozen there.

This means in turn that the immigration officer MIGHT ask me on what money I live (seeing no movements on the account) because he might suspect I work. I look quite young despite my 58 years.

So far so good because the truth is: 1. I will not be working. 2. I do have money to live on without working

So the question is: How can I convey to him that this is true and all is according to the regulations without doubt:

2. Solution if it matters: I will be the owner (This means then that I would have to keep the money in my name, which I would NOT prefer (the mentioned inheritance reasons, complicated thing)

3. If it is not important even that the money comes from abroad, ATM-slips might even suffice. I recall to have read about that in this forum.

Sorry for being so complicated on this one. Just think of the consequences if the residency is not granted despite fulfilling the requirements. Get my 89 year old mother (and including the daughter of my wife which I did not mention so far ? smile.png) and relocate to Laos ?

i have been doing extensions the past 4yrs.with the 800k or the 400kbht in a fixed account that is in perminant.there has been some who have been asked what are you living on so have a current acc.that you draw on for living exs.in case.

some banks will ask you to open a current acc.anyway so to put the interest earned into it and money transfered to you.

make sure the bank you choose for the fixed amount can give you an update of the balance when you need it.it was posted here not long ago that kasikorn cannot do it till the fixed term matures.

Has the OP considered using the 65K baht per month income requirement retirement extension method based on a letter from the German Embassy in Bangkok regarding "Verification of Income and pensions" which requires "b) sufficient proof of the amount of monthly income" which may be sufficiently demonstrated via a transfer between accounts in Switzerland?

http://www.bangkok.diplo.de/contentblob/3247334/Daten/3617789/RentenEinkommensbescheinigung.pdf

Another way of looking at this is that retiring in Thailand is not for everyone and its really not as if the government of Thailand has formally INVITED all of us to live here just because they offer a non-immigrant visa and extension option to do so. We invite ourselves. Perhaps it's a generalization but I think that retiring abroad ANYWHERE is more suited to those who are open to a fair degree of uncertainty and ambiguity, and probably Thailand more so than some other country choices. Also there are some countries which are actively PROMOTING their expat retirement schemes out there and Thailand isn't one of them and likely NEVER will be, Those countries can be considered to be actively INVITING us.

Edited by Jingthing

With regards to the certified income from abroad:

1. Foreign Embassy's usually don't require supporting documentation. They usually require just an sworn testimony of oath that the information provided about income amount is true.

Not so. The British Embassy, for example, require documentary proof before issuing income verification letters.

Has the OP considered using the 65K baht per month income requirement retirement extension method based on a letter from the German Embassy in Bangkok regarding "Verification of Income and pensions" which requires "b) sufficient proof of the amount of monthly income" which may be sufficiently demonstrated via a transfer between accounts in Switzerland?

http://www.bangkok.diplo.de/contentblob/3247334/Daten/3617789/RentenEinkommensbescheinigung.pdf

Don't think that this is likely to be a starter in the OP's case, in the short term at least. He has stated that he won't start receiving a pension for another 7 years (and a small one at that). And, as Lite Beer has advised in post #6, his mother wouldn't be subject to any financial requirements as his dependant. Just as well since her income appears to be derived from 3 countries - which would presumably mean separate income verification letters from each of the 3 embassies in question!

Edited by OJAS