Suthep pessimistic on mainstream political solutions

webfact

Here's a question I'm asking out of ignorance. I don't understand Thai (or Asian) politics. I haven't been here long enough to suss out the players based on their past behavior and performance.

Is there any viable entity in Thailand that could come to power that would be anything other than a different feudal hierarchy?

Or is this just a battle for feeding rights at the trough, with the masses (who I've become fond of) being pawns?

Last election - No. Years ago, yes, but they failed to get enough seats (if any) to do anything. Next election - assuming one is the result of this mess - perhaps if the PTP splinters into Pro-Thaksin, and pro-change. The pro-change could garner more votes and take power - but they would have to find a leader - and that would probably mean one of the old guard (unfortunately). There would also likely be a weak(er) coalition which would still be old guard. So in short term - not really - but maybe just a hop, skip and jump away - if thing s go right.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Suthep and the demonstrators seem to have good intentions to once and for all put the political system in this country on the right track

PTP and the reds seem to be the exact opposite - they are trying to thwart the system for total power and corruption

Am I a total dumbass or isn't this obvious

It seems Thaksins instructions are to hold out and hope it all goes away - I really don't think that is going to happen

I can't wait to see the state of the governments accounts when they are audited - and my advice would be to have a recognised international to come and do the books - then nobody can question the results - I believe they will find billions upon billions of baht missing and unaccounted for

This is a man who transferred public land to his rich friends in Phuket and later concealed his own assets and now wants to halt corruption with his own appointed administration.

This is some Thai soap right?

Try reading up on that one then you may be able to get it right.

Out of 400 odd plots 11 were given to families with money.

All those who got titles had long time history of occupation of the titles they were given.

This has been covered on these pages several times and links given.

You're right - this is tedious.

The land given away was Sor Por Kor 4-01.- that means that it was land owned by the government and transferred to the use of poor, needy farmers. Transferring it to wealthy families is illegal - the title is invalid then. Ask a real estate agent how that title of land is trasnferred - it is limited to agricultural use and only a small section can be lived on. Title cannot be sold or transferred further.

That took 2 minutes to find out. Why keep stating it was ok for 11 wealthy families when clearly under the law it isn't?

• Like 1

This is a man who transferred public land to his rich friends in Phuket and later concealed his own assets and now wants to halt corruption with his own appointed administration.

All those who got titles had long time history of occupation of the titles they were given.

The land given away  was Sor Por Kor 4-01.- that means that it was land owned by the government and transferred to the use of poor, needy farmers. Transferring it to wealthy families is illegal - the title is invalid then. Ask a real estate agent how that title of land is trasnferred - it is limited to agricultural use and only a small section can be lived on. Title cannot be sold or transferred further.

That took 2 minutes to find out. Why keep stating it was ok for 11 wealthy families when clearly under the law it isn't?

The scandal took place 20 years ago. Suthep and his wealthy pals thought they could get away with it then despite it being illegal. That is what led to the no confidence vote in the Chuan Government. This type of thing still goes on, look at all the cases of NP encroachment at the bottom of the investigation drawer.

I still don't get what he is rallying for now. Can anybody clearly explain? Just saying they want to 'root out the Shinawatr clan' is not a meaningful platform upon which to campaign to bring down a government. I think a few more details might be in order.

He means that just dissolving the house and calling another election would do nothing as the Shinawatrs are too entwined and would simply reform. He wants a solution where they can be removed from politics (including the cronies) and then a return to "true" democracy.

He may be right on the first count - most think that some semblance of PTP would just get straight back in - and with Thaksin's pull on the party, would still be in control. On the other hand, he also knows that even if PTP fractured (as I personally think it would), that Dems or any party he starts, are unlikely to get into power either.

So, he is between a rock and a hard place - only answer he has is an appointed administration (aka non-elected) government (perhaps cross-party - perhaps non-partisan - perhaps all his own people) to preside over the clean up of politics, government and civil service to remove the cronies/corruption and make a fairer playing field, before stepping down for free elections.

At least that's the gist of it as far as I can understand.

Thanks for the reply. You've probably got a better understanding of this than I. But you're saying that Suthep is rallying because he 'wants a solution...'. Usually when people want others to believe in them, its because they think they've GOT a solution. He doesn't have a clearly defined solution (witness all the 'perhaps's in your explanation), so how can he expect a loyal base? I think he's scared to reiterate a non-elected leadership solution (if that's what he wants), as he knows it is so abhorrent to most Thais.

Surely people will only countenance change if they can see what the alternative will be. I think these demos are gonna fizzle out unless more money is pumped into them.

I agree that I think he is a little directionless - I guess this is because there is no clear direction for his goal, which is a Thaksin free government. Calling for elections far from guarantees this.

I do not think money is an issue here like it was in say the 2010 (or perhaps in the PAD airport takeover). There seems to be real feeling this time. Many Thais I speak with are wired into it - and there was a protest before the big gums joined don't forget. I would suggest that it will actually work the other way around - and support will be attracted to the "movement" (my word) rather than the driving force behind the "movement". People are taking unpaid time off work to go - rather than being paid as if it is work to attend - big difference. I think those waiting for money to dry up may be in for a long wait - it doesn't cost much to feed people, it costs to pay a daily stipend for being there.

You are right about money not being that big of an issue this time. This is a group of thinking honest people willing to sacrifice for their country.

Opposed is the red shirts getting paid for it and not that many of them either. Their paymaster could continue to pay them for the rest of theor lives and still have more than enough money for himself and his other dealings. It did not look to me like there was that many red shirts in the stadium. More empty red seats.

Seems like some how Thailand is not going to gain by this protest. To bad it could not have been closer to election time.

On the other hand it has awoken many Thailander's to the corruption of the government. Most of them were unaware of it. To them corruption is money they take out of their pocket and personally hand it to some one. They would not even be able to comprehend the amount of money the Government is putting in to their pocket.

Just look at the big grin on Sutheps face. He could'nt give a dam_n about Thailand, he is on one bloody big ego trip, getting carried away with power. However it has already been proved through the polls that Khun Suthep is NOT the preferred leader of Thailand and neither is his party. Why in the hell can they not accept this.

Edited by oldsailor35

The land given away was Sor Por Kor 4-01.- that means that it was land owned by the government and transferred to the use of poor, needy farmers. Transferring it to wealthy families is illegal - the title is invalid then. Ask a real estate agent how that title of land is trasnferred - it is limited to agricultural use and only a small section can be lived on. Title cannot be sold or transferred further.

The scandal took place 20 years ago. Suthep and his wealthy pals thought they could get away with it then despite it being illegal. That is what led to the no confidence vote in the Chuan Government. This type of thing still goes on, look at all the cases of NP encroachment at the bottom of the investigation drawer.

Sutheps own family have been found to be guilty of "enroachment" by adding government land to that which they already own on Koh Samui.

• Like 2

Suthep and the demonstrators seem to have good intentions to once and for all put the political system in this country on the right track

PTP and the reds seem to be the exact opposite - they are trying to thwart the system for total power and corruption

Am I a total dumbass or isn't this obvious

It seems Thaksins instructions are to hold out and hope it all goes away - I really don't think that is going to happen

I can't wait to see the state of the governments accounts when they are audited - and my advice would be to have a recognised international to come and do the books - then nobody can question the results - I believe they will find billions upon billions of baht missing and unaccounted for

Total dumb ass wins the day ! clap2.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

I still don't get what he is rallying for now. Can anybody clearly explain? Just saying they want to 'root out the Shinawatr clan' is not a meaningful platform upon which to campaign to bring down a government. I think a few more details might be in order.

There are 2 trillion Baht details in order.

Keep going Suthep, get together with all civic groups to talk about political reform- keep the politicians involved to an absolute minimum.

Hold another massive rally this Sunday.

And pray do tell us what Suthep is if he is not a POLITICIAN. A lifelong member of the "snouts in the trough" brigade, who now has the audacity to call Thaksin corrupt........if ever the pot called the kettle black!

Yup... My wife says today that Suthep is as corrupted as anyone else or worst... he stole already a lot of money as she say...

it was given if there is a history of occupation (and I think some farming) but you didn't need to be poor to get the title.

it was given if there is a history of occupation (and I think some farming) but you didn't need to be poor to get the title.

Have a look at this blog from a Realtor...

http://thailand-realestate.com/blog/sor-por-kor-land/

It appears just recently some wealthy Phuket families were stripped by the court of land in that title scheme *because* they were rich.

Land in Phuket .....beatdeadhorse.gif.pagespeed.ce.adWp7jUAu

Suthep was the MP that caught the illegal land thief. Chuan was the PM, not Suthep. Go blame Chuan and not Suthep.

Suthep was the Agricultural Minister that was why he was the one responsible for handing out the titles. Chuan dissolved the house to avoid the inevitable loss of the no confidence vote. The Dems have not won a General Election since.

Cant be true winchester. There was no corruption before Thaksin. whistling.gif or so a lot on here would have you believe. Suthep wants Thaksin out but does not want another election because he knows the PTP popularity dwarfs a few 'rent a mob geriatric terrorists' and they will walk all elections for at least the next decade. He wants a people government most probably chosen by his mates. I think what hes really worried about is Thaksin getting his 'slate wiped clean' without an amnesty.

This just goes further to show that Suthep does not want to compromise, same as what the Red Shirts did. Lots of inconvenience, getting on everyone's nerves, lots of verbal slogans, etc. He is simply repeating the same Red Shirt tactic under a different cloak. All he really wants is a confrontational spark that will eventually bring innocent blood onto YL's hand, same as what the Red Shirt did to him and Abhisit before.

Let's see if this government will go down the same road? It doesn't matter if the army is going to disperse the crowd or the police, when they have enough of this circus. (same could also be said about the Red Shirt before) As long as there is innocent blood at the end of it, it will suffice Suthep and these PAD leaders real motives.

If they really want peace for Thailand and her people, will anyone with common sense resort to this tactic? (Same also could be said about the Red Shirts back then). All they want to achieve is "an eye for an eye" at the expense of the unsuspecting others and in the name of "thaimocracy".

So ladies and gentlemen, welcome to the zoo politics in Thailand, where you can draw parallel for all the zoo animals to their politicians. It's never about reform, the well being of her citizens or the progression of this country. It's all about getting even. If you don't see it, look back at the Red Shirt protest and you will see the same eerie similarity in its essence. And we all know how a different set of animals carried out that protest and how it ended. Do we really want to go down that road again? Getting manipulated by a new set of animals?

your may be right except IMO I don't believe anything can or would be as bad as Taksin and what he's done and would do if he could. IT is not possible to compromise IMO with a snake or scorpain same as it was not possible to compromise with hitler or any other Dictator. The result which ever way is going to be very painful and its quite possible a lot of collateral damage will occur (that terrible american word). Opinions and views and I freely admins mine also are so anti the other side it is almost at Civel war stage now. Its at the stage where many rather than accept Taksin are prepared to die but unlike reds prefer to try peacefully. Their are also madmen on red shirt side who as they proved would die and are so brainwashed believe they are fighting an evil enemy. Those who keep saying jaw jaw is better than war war would in end simply give in to Thailand IMO becoming some version of a mixture between North Korea, Zimbabwie and Iran where possibly as long as you toed the line and bowed you could live comfortably enough except for proles or masses which here Taksin would enslave totally since they are only useful as cannon fodder and through no fault of their own not useful to help keep things going except as labourers. Others under him who accepted his dictatorship fully without question and had education and/or skills would be given reasonable exits and a comfortable life while they served big brother. However no one would be free of his dictate or whim and those who wanted freedom would need to leave or suffer terrible consequences.

I and my family had already decided many years ago if Taksin won we could have no future here. We've put 30 years into building a great family and life here but sensible people need to understand and study history and so know what can and would occur. IT wont happen suddenly, it never does but it was happening bit by bit and it is to be seen if this is just a small hurdle in Taksin's eventual aim or the thing which could stop him.

NOrmal people in Hitlers Germany left it to late as they did in Zimbabwe and other places. Their were many many warning signs and looking back most ask why did they stay. If Taksin wins I can guarantee in 10-15 years people will look back and make similar comments.

If it goes wrong way (that is Taksin wins) I believe I and my family have 5 years or so to sell what we can here and restart elsewhere. Not something I would want at my age but something I would consider essential.

I am however fairly sure given recent events we wont need our exit plan and it hopefully can be binned. ITs been around a long time ever since all this began back in 2004 or so.

Cant be true winchester. There was no corruption before Thaksin. whistling.gif or so a lot on here would have you believe. Suthep wants Thaksin out but does not want another election because he knows the PTP popularity dwarfs a few 'rent a mob geriatric terrorists' and they will walk all elections for at least the next decade. He wants a people government most probably chosen by his mates. I think what hes really worried about is Thaksin getting his 'slate wiped clean' without an amnesty.

Rent-a-mob? It is funny how the Red sympathisers here are always accusing these protestors of being paid, when there is no evidence of that at all - just because that's how the Reds get their protestors does not mean it is the only way. You know it, everyone else knows it - so why continually make yourselves look like knobs keep repeating it?

Also point me to one post anywhere on this forum in the last year where someone has said that there was no corruption before Thaksin - go on, just one - and not one that is obviously being sarcastic. PTP will not call for elections because they know they will never get the same numbers as before - they will be lucky to keep hold of the coalition too - and it is very likely the leadership will topple and PTP will fragment. If not, why have they not just called Suthep's bluff and called one? Why did herself publically state no early election?

How could Thaksin get his "slate cleaned" without an amnesty - he is still a fugitive awaiting sentencing for crimes he has already been found guilty of and awaiting trial of several others. The only other way is by Royal decree - and that is not likely now is it.

Suthep doesn't want an election either, because he knows he will not win - and neither will the Dems. What would likely happen would, however, probably be the best outcome possible right now - see earlier paragraph wrt fragmentation.

With the unions joining left, right and centre (usually left leaning - so much for Reds being the people's party) and companies starting to donate food and give paid and unpaid leave - there is far more impetus behind this than there was in 2010 where it was only numbers in the Red-rent-a-mob and violence that it had going for it.

• Like 1

Seems the title of this thread is:

"Suthep pessimistic on mainstream political solutions"

so why is everyone rabbiting on about land deals from back in the dark ages?

Well Suthep says that he wants to rid Thailand of corruption when his own history and family is tarnished.

Ok, leaving aside the title scam I'd say his asset concealment and conflict of interest also cast significant doubt on his qualifications to lead a movement against abuse of power.

I for one have no faith in the democratic credentials of anyone who openly advocates a star chamber of appointees elected by nobody.

Seems the title of this thread is:

"Suthep pessimistic on mainstream political solutions"

so why is everyone rabbiting on about land deals from back in the dark ages?

Well Suthep says that he wants to rid Thailand of corruption when his own history and family is tarnished.

Ok, leaving aside the title scam I'd say his asset concealment and conflict of interest also cast significant doubt on his qualifications to lead a movement against abuse of power.

I for one have no faith in the democratic credentials of anyone who openly advocates a star chamber of appointees elected by nobody.

If you wait for someone who is whiter than white to have the balls to stand where he is right now - then you will be waiting forever. History is less important right now than the present and the future - if he proves to be something other than what you expect then that is good, no? The only person I can think of that made such a stand and did so with an empty cabinet (empty of skeletons) was Ghandi. One in billions. Take what you can get!

I can't say I completely trust the guy either - but his idea could have merit if done correctly - say chosen from judges, professors and business leaders with no political affiliation - given a fixed term mandate under a special temporary amendment to the constitution to sort out parliamentary procedures; election rules; separation of judiciary, military, and executive; lower house appointment rules; anti-corruption oversight; and so on.

• Like 2

Keep going Suthep, get together with all civic groups to talk about political reform- keep the politicians involved to an absolute minimum.

And pray do tell us what Suthep is if he is not a POLITICIAN. A lifelong member of the "snouts in the trough" brigade, who now has the audacity to call Thaksin corrupt........if ever the pot called the kettle black!

This is exactly it.

All piggies fighting over the same trough filled the feedstock of the poor and vulnerable. It's all deeply unpleasant to witness.

I try to refrain from name calling as it tends to detract from the main issue and focus more on the name caller. However, in this instance, a porcine dining habit comparison does seem in order. As unpleasant as it is to watch, the more unpleasant alternative would be the intervention of the military with potential violence and bloodshed. This poster hopes that can be avoided.

No one seems to accept a balance of power between conservatives and liberals anywhere. US gridlock, British incontinence in regards to social policy, Dutch struggles with Rotterdam, these are all just symptoms. One side says PROGRESS NOW, the other says PROGRESS NEVER. No one wants to com,promise and because of that nothing changes.

This is deeply disturbing and deeply sad. This is how civil wars start...

This is not a football match. This is people's lives, people's children. Too many foriegners are flippant about all this. Yes, there are comic aspects, yes this is Asia, where corruption is an art form...but does that make human beings involved in this inconsequential and trivial, so that posters say "my team should win"?

What arrogant stupidity. NO, this is not as rugby match. And we are guests, not vital VIP's who contribute greatly to the land in which we are living.

This is not a small game. This is a young democracy struggling to find balance. I propose that we encourage stability, instead of jumping at the chance to criticise one side or the other with lop-sided arguments that stir the pot.

Are our own home nations so perfect that we can pretend to know, much less occupy, the high moral ground?

NO. We are guests. Please remember that.

Thais, including my Thai wife and coming child, deserve that much respect and love to hope for their future instead of picking sides like punters at a snooker tournament.

There is dynamite all over the Bangkok streets today. How DARE you throw matches around just because you can turn tail and run home when there is an explosion.

Sometimes...I am ashamed to be a farang here.

There again, another apologist of the "guest theory". Sorry, we can go home indeed, but we came here for work and if the thais want our money, they better learn to provide a stable environment. Otherwise, they can end as Sierra Leone.

No respect to be had if it is not deserved.

He means that just dissolving the house and calling another election would do nothing as the Shinawatrs are too entwined and would simply reform. He wants a solution where they can be removed from politics (including the cronies) and then a return to "true" democracy.

He may be right on the first count - most think that some semblance of PTP would just get straight back in - and with Thaksin's pull on the party, would still be in control. On the other hand, he also knows that even if PTP fractured (as I personally think it would), that Dems or any party he starts, are unlikely to get into power either.

So, he is between a rock and a hard place - only answer he has is an appointed administration (aka non-elected) government (perhaps cross-party - perhaps non-partisan - perhaps all his own people) to preside over the clean up of politics, government and civil service to remove the cronies/corruption and make a fairer playing field, before stepping down for free elections.

At least that's the gist of it as far as I can understand.

Suthep has absolutely no interest in "true democracy," or any other form of democracy for that matter. He wants to unseat the duly elected government by non-democratic means and install another sham government that could never be elected. He is a fascist criminal who should be shot for treason.

No one seems to accept a balance of power between conservatives and liberals anywhere. US gridlock, British incontinence in regards to social policy, Dutch struggles with Rotterdam, these are all just symptoms. One side says PROGRESS NOW, the other says PROGRESS NEVER. No one wants to com,promise and because of that nothing changes.

This is not a football match. This is people's lives, people's children. Too many foriegners are flippant about all this. Yes, there are comic aspects, yes this is Asia, where corruption is an art form...but does that make human beings involved in this inconsequential and trivial, so that posters say "my team should win"?

What arrogant stupidity. NO, this is not as rugby match. And we are guests, not vital VIP's who contribute greatly to the land in which we are living.

This is not a small game. This is a young democracy struggling to find balance. I propose that we encourage stability, instead of jumping at the chance to criticise one side or the other with lop-sided arguments that stir the pot.

Are our own home nations so perfect that we can pretend to know, much less occupy, the high moral ground?

Thais, including my Thai wife and coming child, deserve that much respect and love to hope for their future instead of picking sides like punters at a snooker tournament.

There is dynamite all over the Bangkok streets today. How DARE you throw matches around just because you can turn tail and run home when there is an explosion.

There again, another apologist of the "guest theory". Sorry, we can go home indeed, but we came here for work and if the thais want our money, they better learn to provide a stable environment. Otherwise, they can end as Sierra Leone.

I to for 30 years have a wife and children here but i don't agree with arrogant if thais want our mobey bit. to original op i want my wife and children to have a future here but not at hands of a evil megalomaniac and if it comes to it after 30 years yes sadly i and my family will leave if Taksin wins. where i disagree with you is the Thais don't need our money and I'm happy for Thailand to be poorer and i and my family much poorer if it could result in best of all words which would not be a simple copy of western ideals.

This is a war to end and one side or other will win. It has to come to a conclusion which probably given Taksins previous record and his red thugs will end very badly. Having been here 30 years and lived through many coups and bad governments this is worst I've ever experienced. I and my family will dance with joy when and if the shinawati clan are hopefully finally removed. IF evil head is cut off the body will die and we can live happily with a non democrat government without 1 man wielding all the power. It wont be perfect but anything is better than Taksin. Someone asked me if I would personally die to get rid of Taksin if need be. A good question and since I'm almost as cowardly as red thugs id probably not put myself into that danger but would hope if it came to it I would. I and my family are not pro den just totally anti Taksin. We will gladly take our chances with anything else since to us at least anything is better. But thnei m old enough to have seen many evil dictators be replaced by even worse. However in this case it would be difficult to imagine any worse.

• Like 2

why is this going on ? are you serious

this is going on because you have a criminal running this country who is on the run and robbed billions of baht from the Thai people and is using a small part of that money to buy a lie from those that unfortunately don't know any better - it is exploitation of the poor in this country buying votes for a few hundred baht - I wish someone would go to the middle east and snuff this debacle out

there is no democracy in Thailand for those that don't understand that then go and get educated

who let the dogs out

To the first comment. Ashamed to be a farang?, what you knew about how to run a democracy, your ethics and your essential understanding of right and wrong at age 13 exceeded the cumulative weight of the same in the entire Thai parliament.

Ashamed? They should hold you up as a model.

+1.

I hate that Southern man, Suthep.

People go on about "vote buying" in elections, i have seen it first hand, more than once, and believe me, ALL the parties do it, inc. the Dems. It's a NORMAL part of Thai electioneering.

• Like 1

Confusing.... Fight against Thaksins efforts to turn Thailand into a one man show in favour of Suthep's view of Guided democracy.

Is there such a thing as a benevelent dictatorship?

Singapore

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app