To tip or not to tip

quiuvo

My girlfriend and I went to a restaurant last Saturday and we had the same discussion that we have all the time we eat out -- how much to tip. I'm used to 10-20 % of the bill depending on the service. Well, she is used to 20 baht!

At restaurants, at bars, at pool places, and taxis we need to determine how much to tip. She says 0 and I insist on something.

We have here at TV, more than 10,000 members? Please tell me what you tip.

I've got a tip for you, brace yourself for the "done to death crowd popping along"

What I tip depends on what kind of service I get....Up to you what you tip but many on TV will say 20baht is quite enough, others will call you cheap charlie.....Enjoy...

I want the crowd to come out. I want them to tell me how much they tip, if any. I'm serious. I feel that my Thai friends not tipping is not correct. The people servicing them work hard, some more than others of course, and need the tips to tip the scale of low wages! In any country.

10-20% is the correct tipping range in restaurants if you are in the United States. In many other countries, the service charge is included in the listed prices. When in Rome, do as the Romans do, when in Thailand, follow the suggestions of your Thai friends.

• Like 1

I got a car from the airport then stopped at the US Embassy to get my yearly income letter for my visa extension and then headed up to the ranch in Suphanburi and the limo service charged me 3580 baht for the service...

and I was in the back seat with the duty free vodka and made a mess of things fumbling with the ice and a paper cup and then gave the driver a 200 baht tip...I took off me pimp hat when he genuflected and waved him away; ye only get to flash the dough a few times per year...

and when we arrived at the shophouse I got out and shouted: 'Stellah! good gott, Stellah!' and then when she appeared I buried meself in her flesh and murmurred: ' don't ever leave me darlin' and the driver stood by in disapproval as Tennessee Williams gets lost in these situations...

he earned his tip...

• Like 1

I have been rich and I have been poor in Thailand. When I have money, I tip about 10% in upscale joints. 20 baht in inexpensive resteraunts and nothing at all in noodle stall type places. When I am broke, I try to avoid places where tips are expected and try to tip as little as possible.

When I do eat out, we leave the 20 baht tip. if I get a great 2 hour massage I will give a 100 baht tip.

What you tip is really up to you, It should never become an issue between you and your woman, I would tip based on her suggestion as that is the usual given by Thai's.

Cheers

My wealthier Thai friends tip 100 baht for just about anything. My g/f tips 20 baht at restaurants, nothing at anything else.

I generally follow whomever I am with except I round up the charge for a taxi (give 300 for a 275 fare) if the driver was OK. I give a 100 baht tip for a massage. If there is a service charge on a restaurant bill, I leave nothing.

OP, listen to your GF, she's the proverbial Roman in Rome and knows a dam_n site more than you. The percentage thing doesn't work here, so forget your methodology.

Here's my general procedure:

Noodle Stalls and similar - 0

Average Restaurants - 20-40B, zero if they piss you off.

Bar Beer - 20B, zero if they piss you off.

GoGo - 20B for the bar, up to you for the girls that talks to you. Don't be a two week millionaire.

Barber - 0-20B. Zero if they cock it up.

Fancy Restaurant - up to you, but many will have a service charge included anyway. Zero if they piss you off.

MB Taxi - 0

Roadside bottled petrol - 0

Gas Station - 0 (unless the chick that washes the windows gives you a really big smile, then 20B)

Taxi from airport - 0-100, zero if he pisses you off.

Fuji and similar - 0 because they already have a service charge

McD and BK - 0, but put the coins in the donation box

Gardener - 0

Golf Caddy - 300B for 18 holes

General R&M dudes - negotiate the fee before they start, 0 tip unless they do something exceptional.

Massage - I don't do them, but I guess 50-100 is in the range. Zero if they piss you off.

Security Dude - for ensuring you always have a good car park, for lugging your golf clubs to the elevator, for making sure he knows your mates and allows them access, and for generally watching your back - a 6 pack every month, and a 24 pack at Christmas.

Anybody who goes "above and beyond" and saves you a lot of misery - 100B

OP, Can you spot the trend? thumbsup.gif

Edited by Gsxrnz
  • Like 2

When I do eat out, we leave the 20 baht tip. if I get a great 2 hour massage I will give a 100 baht tip.

What you tip is really up to you, It should never become an issue between you and your woman, I would tip based on her suggestion as that is the usual given by Thai's.

Cheers

"Based on her suggestion..." My god. Sorry you are under those conditions.

OP, listen to your GF, she's the proverbial Roman in Rome and knows a dam_n site more than you. The percentage thing doesn't work here, so forget your methodology.

GoGo - 20B for the bar, up to you for the girls that talks to you. Don't be a two week millionaire.

Fancy Restaurant - up to you, but many will have a service charge included anyway. Zero if they piss you off.

MB Taxi - 0

Gas Station - 0 (unless the chick that washes the windows gives you a really big smile, then 20B)

Gardener - 0

General R&M dudes - negotiate the fee before they start, 0 tip unless they do something exceptional.

Massage - I don't do them, but I guess 50-100 is in the range. Zero if they piss you off.

Security Dude - for ensuring you always have a good car park, for lugging your golf clubs to the elevator, for making sure he knows your mates and allows them access, and for generally watching your back - a 6 pack every month, and a 24 pack at Christmas.

L

I spotted the trend and I would invert IT. Give tips to whom deserve it, earn it, and needs it.

I want the crowd to come out. I want them to tell me how much they tip, if any. I'm serious. I feel that my Thai friends not tipping is not correct. The people servicing them work hard, some more than others of course, and need the tips to tip the scale of low wages! In any country.

Yes, Thai people are wrong and we should educate them in the art of tipping by leaving big tips wherever we go.

Cheers

"Based on her suggestion" is because she is Thai and he is not. I would think this is a rather logical course of action when trying to understand Thai culture.

I defer to my Thai friends or g/f when needing advice in Thailand on things that deal with Thai culture, and they defer to me when in the US or Europe (or Indonesia, Hong Kong, China, Japan, Australia--anywhere other than Thailand) when dealing with things that deal with the local culture there.

Why don't you just look over some of the 800+ threads on this topic.

I used to tip quite liberally, but no longer. I now have two categories:

Regular Thai restaurant--Nothing, except perhaps a few coins if there is change from the bill.

International food restaurant--20 to 40 Baht depending on quality of service, but nothing except change from the bill if there is a 10% service charge.

My wife is in complete agreement, and having this "policy" in place beforehand makes for an overall happier dining experience.

Why even bother having this forum.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

You have a point when all the information he needs is already available and so could avoid cluttering up the forum with useless threads.

More often it's the smallest note i've got on me, rounding up on bigger bills. Unless the service was bad and then it's nothing. Gold coins go into the kids' money boxes. Loose change to blind singers and what not.

You have a point when all the information he needs is already available and so could avoid cluttering up the forum with useless threads.

95% of everything on this forum just gets regurgitated.

New members come in and make it all fun again.

I am glad there is no rule in Thailand that obligates anyone to leave a tip, such as there is in the US

(going on comments from US people on similar previous threads).

So everyone can make their own personal rule here.

My rule is: I don't tip.

The people get paid for the job they do, and if they don't get paid, well, then they picked the wrong job.

That being said, one of the only few places I would consider giving a tip (and deviating from my rule) would be in a restaurant.

But only if a person is nice and friendly and gives good service and at least gives

the idea he/she is happy you came to their establishment. If they are not that, even though I am, forget about a tip.

As a result of my rule, I don't give many tips: one hardly ever gets real nice friendly service.

I have also noticed that Thais, in general, in over 10 years in Thailand, are not really tippers.

Unless they are in a group and/or have been drinking and eating in some place for 4 hours, then they will tip.

What I do usually do though is round the taxi fare up, 5 - 10 baht.

Edited to add: if I do leave a tip in a restaurant it would be 20 baht and perhaps the small change I get.

Edited by arminbkk

Cheers

If you do not want to hear the answer, why ask the question? Unless you want to validate your point to her!

She is the Thai and knows more about the norm of tipping in Thailand, her suggestion is more valid than your's as based on tipping in Thailand,

But by all means give all the money away, why would I care, I thought you wanted an honest answer, which I gave you "BASED" on her suggestion, the amounts to tip.

Humbug!

Like another poster her, I have been both rich ( before I was married lol ) and poor in Thailand.

When poor, I let the wife pay and tip, if one is warranted.

Always a small tip from her!

I believe in tipping if service is very good and the person has made an obvious effort to please.

I do not tip if the person acts like I must tip them or is bold enough to tell me I need to tip them.

This has happened, and I consider it rude and will not return to that place of business.

I often go by the 20 baht tip rule, but feel foolish when paying 30 baht for lunch leaving 20 baht for a tip.

I adjust, maybe 5 baht.

O.K., I'll leave 20 baht if she is very sweet and gorgeous!

When really broke, I leave this cheap tip, " Don't walk alone down dark alleys in Bangkok at night".

It's cheap, but still a good tip!cheesy.gif

MB Taxi - 0

Gardener - 0

Good post... I do exactly the same.

The percentage calculation is way too much here... The OP should listen to his girlfriend, who is Thai and therefore knows what she is talking about.

I tip more at low end places because a great noodle or stirfry for 30 baht is worth 10 or 20 baht because I saved money. A great steak for 800 baht with 40 baht water gets small tip as they already took enough money. Progressive tipping is like progressive income tax dumb idea. Sometimes it is difficult to tip at a noodle stand, they don't understand why!