Which language is more difficult to learn to speak: English or Thai ?

quiuvo

More difficult for whom..?

For an adult native speaker of a Chinese language for example, Thai is definitely easier to learn than English.

Generally speaking, and contrary to popular belief, English is not one of the easiest languages to learn for a non-native-English speaking adult.

English has many difficult sounds, a relatively complicated grammar and a remarkably complicated and unstructured spelling system. (Note that it is not 100% possible to know how to pronounce a given random English written word, while this is 100% possible in the vast majority of other languages that use an alphabet.)

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

May i know how many dialects are there in Thai language? Do different parts in Thailand use different dialects? Such as northern, northeastern, central and southern?

Sent from my GT-I9082 using Tapatalk

Yes, there are variations, on those occasions when I need to venture to BKK or Patts and try to use the Thai language I know, it is always the same "you Isaan"

All humans are parrots with regard to language, you can study the language as much as you want, learn the correct pronunciations etc, but if you use it on a daily basis, you will develop a regional accent.

You have to, because if you don't, the people you spend the most time with, will not understand you.

Now, does the Thai word for papaya have a glottal stop at the end...... depends where you are ;)

Edited by Thaddeus

Thai is far more difficult than English - I can't even understand how someone can suggest otherwise.

A lot of Thais even don't master their own language.

You are correct IMO,English is much easier than Thai,and so is most other European Languages.To introduce a tonal language like Thai,was a major mistake,to ease of learning.

We're talking about two languages. One with A through Z and A E I O U Y. The other with near one hundred fifty consonants and fifty vowels. My dear bride picks up on English as well the new family. I'm still just hotel and restaurant Thai.

Only 5 vowels ....A...E...I...O...U

I found that the most difficult part in learning Thai language is reading their texts. Their sentence have no space between words.

Theproblemisn'tnospacesbetweentheThaiwords,theproblemisthatyoudon'tyetrecognizeenoughThaiwords.Seehoweasyitisforyoutoreadthis?That'sbecauseyoualreadyknowalltheindividualwords.LearnenoughThaiwordsanditwillbethesame.

• Like 1

i am not sure why the thai kids in most case cant speak English after leaning it for 12-18 yrs in school...

poor teachers, poor school discipline, no people to practice with, mai bpen rai attitude...

Actually a big part of the not being able to speak, at least in the public school that I know up north, is due to the standardized tests that are sent out from Bangkok. The tests are of course all written and the results partially determine how many teachers/how much money the school will get...the school of course knows this so they "teach to the test" which is all based on grammar/reading/writing. The kids get practically NO lessons in verbal skills and no practice so they even though they may know how to diagram a sentence they are afraid or unable to properly SAY the sentence. The Thai teachers who teach English most often don't speak much English to the kids. The kids, like most kids, are shy and are afraid that their peers will laugh at them when they speak English and get it wrong so they don't even try.

Not so very different from more and more USA schools where the schools teach for the test because that is what determines funding.

IF IF Bangkok would administer ORAL tests it would no doubt be more expensive and certainly more subjective to grade and more work/hassles for administrators so they take the easy way out with written tests....not in the best interest of the kids but tell that to a bunch of administrators.

What the kids REALLY need is classes in speaking and comprehension and not yet another rote memorization of vocabulary and grammar. We have students who can diagram sentences in past perfect participles but struggle beyond "hello how are you" verbally.

If you want to help TALK in English to every kid you come across and after a while you MAY be able to get them to give it a shot.

I am surprised anyone who gets that far would find the no spaces between words an issue at all. Recall when you speak you don't put pauses between words do you? And yet it's perfectly comprehensible. In Thai syllables are constructed in a logical, consistent way and are easy to pick up without spaces. English has a higher need for spaces in writing due to the ambiguities in spelling.

Thai is far more difficult than English - I can't even understand how someone can suggest otherwise.

A lot of Thais even don't master their own language.

Where all English speaking people are Masters of their language.

I like to confirm the above, I work in New York in the construction industry and every one and each of my coworkers are Masters of the English languagecheesy.gif

English is more difficult for Asians. Thai is more difficult for westerners

I still love explaining the phrase "pretty ugly" to Thais.

I found that the most difficult part in learning Thai language is reading their texts. Their sentence have no space between words.

Theproblemisn'tnospacesbetweentheThaiwords,theproblemisthatyoudon'tyetrecognizeenoughThaiwords.Seehoweasyitisforyoutoreadthis?That'sbecauseyoualreadyknowalltheindividualwords.LearnenoughThaiwordsanditwillbethesame.

Youactuallymakealotofsensebutcaretoexplaintomewhydoestheenglishlanaguagealongwithmostotherlanguagesstillputspacesinbetweentheirwordswhenit'saguaranteethatonewillbeabletoreadthewordsitjustdoesn'tmakesenseand letusbehonestevenifyouareproficientintheenglishlanguagedidreadingthissentencegiveyouaheadache.

Youactuallymakealotofsensebutcaretoexplaintomewhydoestheenglishlanaguagealongwithmostotherlanguagesstillputspacesinbetweentheirwordswhenit'saguaranteethatonewillbeabletoreadthewordsitjustdoesn'tmakesenseand letusbehonestevenifyouareproficientintheenglishlanguagedidreadingthissentencegiveyouaheadache.

yup. though i can read the English sentence without the spacing in between words, it takes up alot of unnecessary time. Wouldn't it be easier and faster to read if there is a spacing between words instead of figuring it out the words?

yup. though i can read the English sentence without the spacing in between words, it takes up alot of unnecessary time. Wouldn't it be easier and faster to read if there is a spacing between words instead of figuring it out the words?

It is what it is, somehow I suspect those in charge of the Thai language would have come across this feedback before and someone have decided to stick with tradition.

I find it surprising that people struggle with Thai language. It took me 3 months to learn to read, write and achieve an intermediate level without any help.

I have been speaking and using English for 15-20 years or more, but I still find something new. Thai vocab and grammar are very simple.

Learning any language other than your native language is difficult if you dont have the necessity to learn one. If you have, like me a Thai wife, the incentive to learn Thai is there.

As for English being more difficult I dont think so. There is a lot in Thai which can not be translated.