New Passport

For anyone who wants to know about visa in old passport and travelling with new passport.

I left Swampy and showed both at Imm'. Exit stamp in new passport and on return again showed both. Arrival stamp (90 days) in new passport and hand written by Imm' is info on Visa number and old passport number. You need to carry both passports until the visa expires.

This obviously applies to Multi entry visa. If you are on extention it will be done at your local Imm office where you normally report every 90 days.

Painless.

Just paid 2000 THb had visa transfered to my new passport, One thing I wasnt told by my embassy was that I reqiured a letter from them confirming that new passport issued was legit.

Visas can only be transferred by the embassy / consulate that issued them, it's usually not worth the bother and cost as you can use both passports on entry and exit (as per our OP).

Immigration will transfer permissions to stay and extensions, most offices require the embassy letter. The transfer service is free and swallows 1 1/2 pages of your new and very expensive passport.

Just paid 2000 THb had visa transfered to my new passport, One thing I wasnt told by my embassy was that I reqiured a letter from them confirming that new passport issued was legit.

Their is no official fee to transfer stamps. Which immigration office charged you 2k baht? Did you get a receipt?

I am certain you had an extension of stay stamp and info about your last visa entry put in your new passport. Visas cannot be transferred.

Some embassies give you the letter without asking for it. But for many you have to ask for it.

No you haven't visa,s are not transferred, are you sure your not talking about an extension of stay stamp, this can be transferred and the service is free, so it sounds like you have been ripped off as well

Further some offices require a letter, some dont , and with the new rules around British pp being issued direct from the UK, if a letter is required for thailand, this could become problematic as one assumes the passport office in the UK will not issue these

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Further some offices require a letter, some dont , and with the new rules around British pp being issued direct from the UK, if a letter is required for thailand, this could become problematic as one assumes the passport office in the UK will not issue these

But hopefully the Embassy will still issue this letter. In any event, I gather that Immigration are firmly insistent on the letter being issued by the Embassy (meaning that they would probably reject any letter issued by HMPO with the new passport in any event).

Edited by OJAS

But hopefully the Embassy will still issue this letter. In any event, I gather that Immigration are firmly insistent on the letter being issued by the Embassy (meaning that they would probably reject any letter issued by HMPO with the new passport in any event).

How can the embassy issue this letter legitimately if they haven't witnessed /issued the passport themselves ?

It really is an epic clusterfuc_k. How on earth is doing things this way saved them any money ?

Edited by parryhandy

The UK has been issuing letters for new passports applied for via Hong Kong already. They just need a copy of both passports to renew it. Some people have even been able to do it by mail.

Indeed, I was even able to request my letter by email. The Embassy normally require you to visit them in person with your old & new passports, though.

The UK has been issuing letters for new passports applied for via Hong Kong already. They just need a copy of both passports to renew it. Some people have even been able to do it by mail.

Indeed, I was even able to request my letter by email. The Embassy normally require you to visit them in person with your old & new passports, though.

This is my point.To do things properly the Embassy has to be involved so there should be an option of picking your passport up from the Embassy or applying there just like the old days. They are trying to cut corners that cant be cut.

They Have transferred everything into new passport, stamped and original dates.Hand written Non B.Where as old passport had Thai Embassy Non B sticker from KL.

They simply noted in your passport that you entered on a non-B visa, te visa itself was not transferred.

if you have a valid non-B multiple visa, you would need to use both old and new passport. The new passport alone would not be enough, as that contains no visa.

In passing, I have just received my new UK passport from HK. My one year Non O Multiple Entry visa is in my old passport. Further to the above posts, a couple of years ago, and with a similar visa, I got a 90-day extension to stay in Thailand by doing a visa run a few days before the visa expired but all that was in my old passport.

Would this method of getting a 90-day extension still work if my soon-to-expire visa is in my old and full passport with the 90-day stamp having to be placed in my new passport ?

Talisman

In passing, I have just received my new UK passport from HK. My one year Non O Multiple Entry visa is in my old passport. Further to the above posts, a couple of years ago, and with a similar visa, I got a 90-day extension to stay in Thailand by doing a visa run a few days before the visa expired but all that was in my old passport.

Would this method of getting a 90-day extension still work if my soon-to-expire visa is in my old and full passport with the 90-day stamp having to be placed in my new passport ?

Talisman

Yes you can get another 90 day entry (not an extension) by showing the visa in your old passport just before your visa expires.

If it is your first departure from country you will also need to show both passports when leaving to have entry/permit to stay stamp transferred.

Talisman

may I ask what proof of residence did you show to get your new passport ?

How much did that cost?

And what do they say in the letter?

Talisman

may I ask what proof of residence did you show to get your new passport ?

Under the old system via HK you only provide a copy of your current thai visa stamp and your pp data page, per the other thread I submitted my application to HK via courier from thailand on the 10th same day the new rules came in ....at the moment HK still seem willing to process your application under the old rules certainly in my case

How much did that cost?

And what do they say in the letter?

It was basically a pro forma that I had to fill out containing my name and address and the details of the old and new passport, as I say I filled it out and the lady behind the counter at the UK Embassy stamped and signed it whilst I waited.

There was no charge.

The Immigration Officer didn't even look at it.

Reading this, recalled a thread from August 2013 indicating that the rules have changed. From the page at http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/663684-new-rules-for-extensions-of-stay-with-expiring-passport/ --

Immigration makes the following annoucement:

Announcement

According to the New Regulation from August 13, 2013,
when submitting application for Visa Extension if the validity of passport of the applicant is not longer than one year left before expiry,
the extension of stay will be permitted not exceeding the expired date of passport.
After the renewal of your passport of obtaining a new passport,
you have to re-apply for Visa Extension by submitting required document and paying extension fee ( 1,900 Baht ).
In case of overstay, the fine is 500 Baht per day

Now, I'm not all that smart when it comes to Thailand visas, extensions, etc., but looks to me like folks in this thread (ubonjoe, for example) are saying that no... stamps and such are still being transferred from old passports to new ones. Can these two threads be reconciled? Or is this only a personal problem owing to a lack of understanding?

Thanks

When you have a new passport, immigration moves details in the old passport to the new passport, such as hen you entered and on what kind of visa.

The new regulation you quote means that these details are still transferred, but now when your old passport expires, you only get an extension date till the date your passport expires and when you have a new passport, you go again to immigration with both old and new passport. They will transfer your details to the new passport, but now you also have to apply for a new 1 year extension of stay.

Reading this, recalled a thread from August 2013 indicating that the rules have changed. From the page at http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/663684-new-rules-for-extensions-of-stay-with-expiring-passport/ --

Immigration makes the following annoucement:

Announcement

According to the New Regulation from August 13, 2013,

when submitting application for Visa Extension if the validity of passport of the applicant is not longer than one year left before expiry,

the extension of stay will be permitted not exceeding the expired date of passport.

After the renewal of your passport of obtaining a new passport,

you have to re-apply for Visa Extension by submitting required document and paying extension fee ( 1,900 Baht ).

In case of overstay, the fine is 500 Baht per day.

Now, I'm not all that smart when it comes to Thailand visas, extensions, etc., but looks to me like folks in this thread (ubonjoe, for example) are saying that no... stamps and such are still being transferred from old passports to new ones. Can these two threads be reconciled? Or is this only a personal problem owing to a lack of understanding?

Thanks

Stamps are still transfered if you have an extension of stay.

The info simply states that if you do not have a passport valid for one year when you apply for your extension it will only valid for the length of your passport validity. Then when you get a new passport you will have to apply for a new extension when that extension ends.

If you get a new passport before that date they will transfer your stamps but you have to return to get a new extension when that shortened extension ends.

I received my new passport then on to the British Consulate here in CM got the form from them cut the corners off the old passport,back to immigration visa multiple re entry in the new passport no hassle free,back on the road within one hour.

All correct, however the transfer is free see my post on Hua Hin forum from two days ago, the 2000 Is simple corruption they stuffed me for 500 but would give a receipt , check out my post.

I don't know where you did this, but CM immigration did not charge me anything to transfer current visa to new passport. Two weeks later I had to get extension on retirement visa and this did cost 1,900 THB.

All correct, however the transfer is free see my post on Hua Hin forum from two days ago, the 2000 Is simple corruption they stuffed me for 500 but would give a receipt , check out my post.

It would, I think, have been helpful and convenient had you attached a link to your post. I have now done this for you:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/688235-hua-hin-immigration/

I suspect you got a new extension of stay in your new passport. Please check and see if this is the case.