Former Thai PM Thaksin calls on Asia to enhance economic integration

webfact

Former Thai PM Thaksin Shinawatra calls on Asia to enhance economic integration
By Alexander Cornwell, Staff Reporter

DUBAI: -- Thaksin Shinawatra, the controversial former Prime Minister of Thailand, called on Asian countries to increase economic integration with each other in an awards ceremony speech in Dubai on Saturday night.

In the closing address of the 2013 Asian Business Leaders Forum (ABLF) Awards, the former Prime Minister said the need for Asia to come together has never been greater, pointing out that western countries are no longer importing as much as they used to from Asia.

“This is indeed the momentum to take the One Asia metamorphosis. Now is the time to build on Asia’s potential to make it the economic powerhouse … that it should be,” Shinawatra said.

The ABLF Awards recognises political and business figures from across Asia and the Middle East. Shinawatra is a former recipient of the event’s Statesman Award despite being ousted in a 2006 military coup following widespread allegations of corruption. He has since been convicted for political corruption and now lives in Dubai. However, his sister Yingluck, who is the current Prime Minister of Thailand, recently led an amnesty bill through parliament that would have pardoned him.

The proposed bill, subsequently rejected by the Senate, sparked widespread public and political protests leading to calls for political reform. Yingluck has since dissolved parliament and announced fresh elections to be held in February next year.

In his speech, Shinawatra said Asia was united in its vision for a vibrant and confident continent but that it had looked too much to the west.

“For many decades we have relied on the western model of development. Even in our regional interactions, we have always had an eye out for Europe,” he said.

Full story: http://gulfnews.com/business/general/former-thai-pm-thaksin-shinawatra-calls-on-asia-to-enhance-economic-integration-1.1267432

-- Gulf News 2013-12-16

• Like 1

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Albeit unconventional to have this person speak at such a forum....it indicates the level of influence this man has.

Hopefully, the relative countries he refers to, will see though this charade.....but....there's a lot of money and power!

loving the comments!!

You would in your frame of mind, you don't see the man is thee cause of all Thai problems. Only speak like this because of you PRO government stance which is always in denial.

Suppose your loving the destruction he is leading here.

• Like 2

I hope some honest, well respected and influential Asian representative removes this guys from any political speaking regarding the integration of Asia. He is a corrupt man convicted in a court of law and living in exile from his own country.

Who is he to talk to anyone about the integration in Asia when he can't even step foot in his own country, and his own country have just had to dissolve parliament becuase of his legacy and an attempt to "whitewash" his crimes. He should keep his mouth closed and live his life in exile and obscurity, just go away and leave the politics to real politicians.

It's disgusting to read about this, come on Asia,, you can do much better then this...

If the amnesty whitewash had passed, such a speech might have marked a triumphant return to the world stage. But as usual he messes things up. Since Thaksin is holed up in Dubai it is not surprising that he would have leaned on the authorities to allow him to speak at such a forum on their own turf. The attendees might have been forgiven for thinking if this guy is so smart how come he always screws up?

Edited by SheungWan
  • Like 1

Notice the red shirts are praising the new election. Stacks of 500 Baht notes will be available to insure that this varmint controls and ruins the country for the 6th.

Sell your vote and you love yourself more than your country.

Tell me, If the country is so cash strapped then just where is these "500 bath notes" for vote buying coming from???

What a steaming pile of buffalo dungblink.png

• Like 1

Has anyone ever even heard of the ABLF? The Asian Business Leaders Forum (ABLF) certainly added to their credibility by having a convict and fugitive as their guest speaker. It would be nice if "T" returns to face the other criminal charges that await him in Thailand.

• Like 1

loving the comments!!

You would in your frame of mind, you don't see the man is thee cause of all Thai problems. Only speak like this because of you PRO government stance which is always in denial.

Why would I be pro-government in Thailand? I'm pro democracy and against anarchy in any country but to say I'm pro government or pro Democratci party (in Thailand) is absurd. What has it got to do with me? (or you come to that) I just love the way people like you scrabble to the keyboards at the first chance to slaughter Thaksin, who it seems is still loved by the majority of Thais. Excellent work!

Your comments are the same no matter how much you post, if you are not pro government why defend the criminal. why condone corruption.

Your keyboard scrabble is unique, and you do a poll regular on his popularity ??? excellent work--and you say he is loved by the majority still--sick analysis.

Keep up being a wind up merchant if you get enjoyment that way. Noticed you of late don't hesitate to SCAMBLE to the keyboard to defend the super democratic government here.

• Like 1

Notice the red shirts are praising the new election. Stacks of 500 Baht notes will be available to insure that this varmint controls and ruins the country for the 6th.

Sir, did you not have a business on the island of Phuket? Did you not see; how elections were conducted in Surat Thani and Phuket, the encroachment of protected lands, the violation of building codes and zoning, the transportation gangs ripping off people, how the jetski/morotbike rentals in the tourist districts operated, etc.?

Phuket / Surat Thani is the Democrat stronghold. It is also the region where it can be said that corruption is most evident.

Has anyone from the Democrat party has ever spoken up in regard to the systemic corruption in the region? Khun Suthep certainly never did. Did you?

And yet, you offer the comment about 500 baht notes.

Vote buying is wrong. it is one of many unacceptable practices when one takes into consideration the unfettered and blatant inappropriate conduct that occurs in the Phuket/Surat Thani region. Sadly, there are worse activities that occur. Have a walk down Bangla Rd or through the Paradise Complex and ask yourself how so many illegal activities can be allowed to occur, and why nothing is done.

• Like 2

Tell me, If the country is so cash strapped then just where is these "500 bath notes" for vote buying coming from???

What a steaming pile of buffalo dungblink.png

The money is coming from the 'skim' and graft in the Rice Scheme and the 50 billion Baht already borrowed against the Flood Management Scheme. Read the independent reports, Thailand has dropped from 88th to 105th place in World corruption. The corrupt politicians have plenty in their pockets to buy the next election. The country is so cash-strapped because of all the 'policy' corruption in Thailand; Google it and educate yourself.

• Like 2

loving the comments!!

Why would I be pro-government in Thailand? I'm pro democracy and against anarchy in any country but to say I'm pro government or pro Democratci party (in Thailand) is absurd. What has it got to do with me? (or you come to that) I just love the way people like you scrabble to the keyboards at the first chance to slaughter Thaksin, who it seems is still loved by the majority of Thais. Excellent work!

Your comments are the same no matter how much you post, if you are not pro government why defend the criminal. why condone corruption.

Your keyboard scrabble is unique, and you do a poll regular on his popularity ??? excellent work--and you say he is loved by the majority still--sick analysis.

Keep up being a wind up merchant if you get enjoyment that way. Noticed you of late don't hesitate to SCAMBLE to the keyboard to defend the super democratic government here.

LOL!!! I'm not defending him, just pointing out a fact. As for the present government - seems to me she has more dignity in her little finger than your hero, Suthep! That's a personal opinion of the two of them, does not mean I support YL. By the way, when I finish my keyboard scrabble, I'll send you over the letter 'R' so you can spell 'SCRAMBLE' correctly next time. But the reason I don't 'SCAMBLE' to my keyboard all the time is I have a bit of a life going on and other things to do.