Abhisit likely to remain Democrat party leader

webfact

Abhisit likely to remain Democrat party leader

abhisit-728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Abhisit Vejjajiva is likely to retain his post as the Democrat party leader after Surin Pitsuwan, former ASEAN secretary-general, has declined to be nominated to challenge Abiisit’s leadership, according to well-informed party sources.

The sources further said that former Phitsanuloke MP Chuti Krairiksh was likely to be named the new secretary-general succeeding Chalermchai Sri-on thanks to the strong support from Chuan Leekpai, the party’s advisory chairman, and Suthep Thuagsuban, former party secretary-general.

The Democrat party is due to meet tomorrow (Tuesday) to elect a new expanded executive committee which includes the party leader, deputy leaders, secretary-general and others.

Former Democrat deputy leader Alongkorn Polabutr said Monday that the only way for the Democrats to win the election is that the party must undergo a major restructure of the party which includes management, organizational culture, planning, policy and thinking.

He said whether the party would contest the February 2 election would be judged by the next executive committee. But whatever the decision, the party must be able to explain to the public, he added.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/abhisit-likely-remain-democrat-party-leader/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2013-12-16

Might not be such a good idea, he still has the very serious charge hanging over him. I'm talking about his taking a holiday in the Maldives during Yingluck's great flood. Also some paperwork issues from his cub-scout days? Damaged goods.

• Like 1

Beats most of the other rabble, find other YES by all means and have a clean start. Anyone wanting this present lot in power wants their head examining.

Get rid of the red family, reform sure disband the yellow lot also and have a real fresh go of it.

A chance to clean this badly tainted land and get rid of mafia-scams-big reform of TAT -AOT-Thai airways and more.

• Like 1

IMHO the democrats should also be reform....a new breed of politicians, Korn as the new leader. Without a reform, DP will remain as opposition party for a very long time. Thailand as a whole needs a reform but not the Suthep way.

Sent from my GT-I9200 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I agree, Abhisit might be the darling of female hi-so, but he's much too close to Suthep and the 2011 events to make a good figurehead for the democrats. Under his watch, the democrats went down from 14 million votes on the proportional ballot in 2007 to 11 million in 2011.

Abphisit will be reappointed Democrat party leader. When Abphisit was given the right to be Prime minister in 2008. He was most likely not involved with the deals made by the party execuitive in formation of a coailition. And he was at that time prepared and willing to make necessary political reforms for the good of both the Democrat party and all of the people of Thailand. But with the advent of the red shirt protest movement against that appointment and the lack of support of the Democrat execuitive he was literally hung out to dry until he had to abandon those principles of reform .
  • Like 1

Interesting to contrast the several days, that it takes for the Dems to meet and re-confirm former-PM Abhisit as their leader, with the several hours it took for PTP to 'decide' that Yingluck would run again.

A cynic might wonder whether they'd actually had a party-discussion, and voted, at all ! wink.png

Perhaps democracy works faster in Dubai ? whistling.gif

Edited by Ricardo

This is more complicated than it seems. Both sides are guilty of the charges the other side files. Both. Both sides are guilty of every corrution charge in the law. The key issue, to me, is compromise...will either side meet someone to talk about the middle ground?

No. Not yet.

Mai pen rai.

• Like 1

Are people who are up on Murder charges allowed to run for election? Amazing Thailand !

Why not? Last election PTP openly used the picture of a convicted criminal fugitive, and his name in their campaign slogan. They illegally issued a new passport to him and caused the current protest situation by crudely trying to ram a bill through parliament to whitewash all his crimes. Nobody seems to give a stuff.

Amazing Thailand indeed! If you're rich and connected then anything is possible, for a price. No need to worry about the law, that's just for the poor people.

• Like 2

I like this statement:

"Former Democrat deputy leader Alongkorn Polabutr said Monday that the only way for the Democrats to win the election is that the party must undergo a major restructure of the party which includes management, organizational culture, planning, policy and thinking."
Better to flesh out the content and goals first, as people and faces.
Do it first, and then nominate the best person you have in an election within the party.
Make this process publicly visible and you can win elections, as a party.
May they choose as a slogan:
All think, and all do!
Edited by tomacht8

Might not be such a good idea, he still has the very serious charge hanging over him. I'm talking about his taking a holiday in the Maldives during Yingluck's great flood. Also some paperwork issues from his cub-scout days? Damaged goods.

It's more serious than that. He lacks any legitimacy (the right to rule) as does his party by the majority of folks in the north and north-east.His party is an anachronism (outdated ) in 21st century Thailand. I am no supporter of PT but they at least offer some hope/progress for those on the fringes of the power wielders.

because of suthep there is not much time until the next election and the democrats have little (~zero) chance of winning (if they had just waited another year i think they could have been well positioned)

i really like abhisit but i think he's lost power internally (otherwise he would have stopped suthep) but looking forward it would make sense to make a change after the forthcoming election

korn is smart (went to st johns with abhisit) and no doubt he could design/lead economic policy changes that are sensible (and popular) but the democrats need to market him as the guy who is going to use his financial brain to help the poor (and not a greedy ex-banker)

Edited by brit1984
  • Like 1

because of suthep there is not much time until the next election and the democrats have little (~zero) chance of winning (if they had just waited another year i think they could have been well positioned)

i really like abhisit but i think he's lost power internally (otherwise he would have stopped suthep) but looking forward it would make sense to make a change after the forthcoming election

korn is smart (went to st johns with abhisit) and no doubt he could design/lead economic policy changes that are sensible (and popular) but the democrats need to market him as the guy who is going to use his financial brain to help the poor (and not a greedy ex-banker)

Chuan Leekpai is still pulling strings in the background.

and we haven't heard much from Newin recently, have we?

POLITICS
Abhisit to lead Democrats for fourth term
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Abhisit Vejjajiva was re-elected on Tuesday as Democrat party leader for the fourth consecutive term in the party's general assembly.

Abhisit, who received 98 per cent of the votes and was nominated by party adviser Banyat Banthatthan, thanked party members for their support. There was no competition to his candidacy.

Former Asean secretary general Surin Pitsuwan, earlier rumoured for selection as party leader to enhance the party's image, also attended the meeting but could not vote, as he is not an exexecutive board member nor a former MP.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-12-17

This is more complicated than it seems. Both sides are guilty of the charges the other side files. Both. Both sides are guilty of every corrution charge in the law. The key issue, to me, is compromise...will either side meet someone to talk about the middle ground?

No. Not yet.

Mai pen rai.

Been in Thailand for awhile haven't you.

These two sides are beyond compromise. Very unThai.